• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom Cologne 2009 - The Thread

Blablurn

t98dp2.jpg

ok, i'm done with the convention. i will be happy for the rest of my life.

reminder

Blablurn said:
http://i31.tinypic.com/t98dp2.jpg

You lucky bastard :D

I gave up waiting for my autograph after they said that we've to move to the right side and that he will be there for only about 30 minutes. :(

But still, GamesCom was awesome, especially the Sony booth. So many great games i could play... God of War III; Uncharted 2, Gran Turismo 5, Heavy Rain, PixelJunk Shooter, Dead Nation, LBP PSP, GT PSP, MAG, R&C A Crack in Time... fuck, i was there most of the time :D

Nizz

Xater said:
Stuff I just remembered:

I also really enjoyed the Lost-Planet 2 Co-op demo they had there. I played the PS3 version. I really didn't like the first game but this was so much fun that it will be an insta buy when it's out. Talking with the people around me, coordinating an attack on this giant monster was increcible. you can even enter the thing trough the mout! :lol

Another Capcom game I played was Tatsunoku vs. Capcom. That was really crazy, over the top fun. Reminded me ALOT of Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Probably alot of people already played it but that's really something to look forward to as a Wii owner.
Tell me more, please... ;) Did it look and run well on PS3? Do they still have you shoot using R2 like Lost Planet 1 or did they finally switch to R1?

Great impressions, by the way. Really appreciate them!

Blablurn

the funny thing is - i didn't get the autograph at the session. i was only a few metres away when they stopped it. 2 hours later i had a meeting a ubi soft. after looking for something in the bag i stood up and suddenly kojima was in front of me. i asked him and although he was in a hurry he signed it. and ken imaizumi called me a lucky guy. but i think i deserved it. i didn't get a signing at the conference and i didn't get one at the official session.

reminder

Blablurn said:
the funny thing is - i didn't get the autograph at the session. i was only a few metres away when they stopped it. 2 hours later i had a meeting a ubi soft. after looking for something in the bag i stood up and suddenly kojima was in front of me. i asked him and although he was in a hurry he signed it. and ken imaizumi called me a lucky guy. but i think i deserved it. i didn't get a signing at the conference and i didn't get one at the official session.

Did i say "lucky bastard"? What i meant was "you fucking lucky bastard" :lol

Anyway, grats. I think you really deserved it. ;)

Blablurn said:
Du hast es also auch überlebt. Gratulation; wir sollten einen Veteranen-Club gründen :lol
(So you've survived it as well. Congratulations; we should create a veteran's club)

[edit]
Blablurn said:
BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!
[edit]

It was fucking horrible. I thought I'd be squashed to death (and I'm beefy 195 pounds at good 6 feet). The warmth that was generated from rabid fanboys rubbing on each other in a desperate attempt to get closer to their GOD was unFUCKINGbearable....
Good thing I noticed a few children in the horde (8 years old at most) and convinced the line guard to let them jump the "line".

2lbhy4i.jpg

(The flash makes it more visible than it really is. I should have let him sign my MGS3 tin case. I'm such a stupid fuck...)

migulic

Blablurn said:

Wait - what session? Was it open to the public? I was at GamesCom today and I specially bought my copy of MGS2 in case Kojima was there... didn't see him though

Blablurn

migulic said:
Wait - what session? Was it open to the public? I was at GamesCom today and I specially bought my copy of MGS2 in case Kojima was there... didn't see him though

he will do another session tomorrow and on saturday. from 13 to 14 at the konami booth.

migulic said:
There was an open session (though that doesn't necessarily mean you'd succeed in getting your stuff signed because it was a sweaty, steamy, life threatening mess). I knew Kojima attend therefore I brought my MGS4 along, but then I forgot all about it and only by chance while playing the crappy PES10 demo I noticed there was something going on ^^
The assistant gave him my cover, he signed it, looked up (smiling) to shake my hand when I said: arigato gozaimasu. His smile immediately turned into a "huh, wtf?" face. No kidding :lol

vxollk.jpg

Flek

Banned
Phantast2k said:
Du hast es also auch überlebt. Gratulation; wir sollten einen Veteranen-Club gründen :lol
(So you've survived it as well. Congratulations; we should create a veteran's club)

veteranen club ? Bin dabei :D Habe schon 2 kojima autogramme und ihn 3x getroffen ;P

aber ist auch nicht schwer kojima ist auf nahezu JEDER GC also dimi, deine autogram sammlung wird über die GC Jahre steigen :D

edit: uh eh yeha back to english .. sory guys ;P

Phantast2k said:
The assistant gave him my cover, he signed it, looked up (smiling) to shake my hand when I said: arigato gozaimasu. His smile immediately turned into a "huh, wtf?" face. No kidding :lol

I can't get Dwight Shrute (from The Office) out of my head when I read this sentence :lol

Look what I got at the gamescom ubisoft booth haha

2ibm1pk.jpg

2e5sgom.jpg

(the rex is not from GC)

All you had to do was to give Ubi a "fake" name + mailadress and in return you got a random rabbit (there are 30 of them). Luckily they had like 4 people giving out those rabbits so if you were smart enough you could just go to each one of them and voila: a whole wacky bunny family ;)

Blablurn

day 3 is over. finally :lol my last meeting will be at konami tomorrow. going to the showfloors is pure hell. there are just too many people. i'm really enjoying my time in the business area.

just look at the diablo 3 booth. you have to wait about 4 hours to be able to play the game.

Dennis

Banned
SebastianAlexander said:
All you had to do was to give Ubi a "fake" name + mailadress and in return you got a random rabbit (there are 30 of them). Luckily they had like 4 people giving out those rabbits so if you were smart enough you could just go to each one of them and voila: a whole wacky bunny family ;)

You sneaky bastard!

Xater

Ok letzt do another impressions thread:

Dragon Age (PC build, presentation): So I got to see a presentation of what Bioware calls Choice 2.0. They said decisions in DA will not be good or bad, there are are just decisions you make on your own. There is no light or dark points or anything. They also told me there will be alot of big decisions the player will have to make during the game. They showed me a quest where they had to get some ash from the urn of a prophet to heal a king.

Scenario 1: Our hero gets some of the ash and then destroys the rest because it's also some powerful magic artifact. In the wrong hands it could be devastating. Three of his party members then turn on him because it was a sacriligious act. He then had to kill them.

Scenario 2: Our hero takes some of the ash then leaves it alone. This could be a great thing maybe people can pilger to it. To make it save he then continued to slay a dragon that was nearby.

Two totally different scenarios that continue or cancel developments with your party members and have influence on the world overall. I was really impressed by this demo. The game also looked really cool on the PC.

C&C4 (PC build, presentation): Obviously early but I really liked the idea of having different classes (Offense, Defense and Support) before a singleplayer mission or multipleyer match and then using different units and actions to achieve your goal. You can not die in SP. When you loose your Crawler you will just have to wait for the respawn timer to reach zero. It's the same for MP, that's why the MP will be objective based.

Borderlands (Xbox 360 build, presentation): Randy (as enthusiastic as always) presented a 4 player co-op game. And yes it's totally "Diablo the FPS". The no dice rolling is totally true. They showe how you ca do critical hits by just aiming at at weak spots of enemies. The look of the game is just amazing in motion. BTW the game also has split-screen co-op. That should make some people happy.

Alpha Protocol (Xbox 360 build, presentation): The game looked alot more solid than the last time I saw it which was at GTTV. The only real thing that still buged me was the very prominent Un real Engine 3 texture pop, but that's something that will probably be fixed. What I thought was really funny how choices in this game are kinda similar to Dragon Age. Again there is no good or bad and it's just the story you expereince changes.

Bayonetta (Xbox 360 build, prsentation and I played it myself): if you thought DMC was crazy you are wrong. This game has just insane combos. I was very impressed how you can combo almost every move into something else and combine all the different weapons. The gameplay it'self is pretty much DMC but even more awesome.

Rage (PC build, presentation): First I have to clarify what I saw. It was a PC build, that was played with a Xbox 360 controller (it also had all the Xbox button in the HUD) and it used the console assets. It also ran at 720p with 60fps. They said that this is basically what you will see in the console versions and yeah it looked great. I was suprised to see some really cool character animation. It's probably the most ambitious title id ever created. They are really trying to create a living breathing world. Just walking through the city Wellspring was cool. You culd listen to all the people and the desing was just cool.

Star Wars The Old Republic (PC build, presentation and played it myself): Everyone who wants KOTO 3 should give this game a chance. It is a MMO, but the whle presentation and the way combat felt made was pretty much like the SP KOTOR games. So they showed of the Smuggler which wa cool with all his dity tricks and he could use cover. Then there also was the Sith Warrior which I played myself. I really liked how you could combo your attacks. Force jump in with an attack, build some action points with chocking the guy and then doing a reverse chest stab.

NFS: Shift (Xbox 360 build): I really like this game. I think I actually enjoyed it more than GT5 and I didn't even play it with a wheel. The gamepad controls felt really good and it's amazing how fast the game feels even at 30fps. The whole race driving experience is really visceral.

If you want to know anthing about the games just ask. I actually have seen more than I wrote here this is just a quick writeup.

Edit: Holy shit totally forgot about Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. An yeah both games are amazing just as expected.

@Blablurn: You actully don't have to wait for those games. Today I just went to the backstage said I was press and got to play it immediately. :D

Xater

nelsonroyale said:
Good impressions man!

Couple of Qs:

How did Lost Planet 2 look on ps3 graphically?

Any impressions of GoW3, U2 and R&C?

(especially visuals haha)

I thought Lost planet 2 looked identical on both console. I really liked it.

Didn't play R&C yet only watche dsome poeple play it. The graphics defiantely made a jump from the last title. The lighting was so much improved.

GoW3 was totally awesome. It was the E3 demo. What you saw there is what you get. I have to say I didn't miss the 60fps. It felt right.

Due Uncharted 2 is Uncharted 2. It plays phenomenal and the graphics are gorgeous. I had a nice talk with one of the Sony London guys and the topic of technology sharing in Sony came up. The I asked him about Naughty Dogs engine and even he said that he things the technology is incredible. Definately one of the best looking games at the show.

I did not see or play GT PSP, sorry guys. But I did play some Motorstorm Arctic Edge.

Blablurn

Xater said:
@Blablurn: You actully don't have to wait for those games. Today I just went to the backstage said I was press and got to play it immediately. :D

maybe i'll try this as well. just to tease my friends who are going to wait :lol

btw, i also saw the borderlands presentations. really liked this guy. really enthusiastic. i liked what he said: "go write about this game. we created something new. if this one fails you can expect a lot more halos and call of dutys. the industry needs new ip's"

and i really liked borderlands. i love the action and the fast paced gameplay. i stopped playing fallout 3 because it was to slow. i might try this one instead.

Rad-

Scenario 1: Our hero gets some of the ash and then destroys the rest because it's also some powerful magic artifact. In the wrong hands it could be devastating. Three of his party members then turn on him because it was a sacriligious act. He then had to kill them.

Oh crap, I'm going to be so lonely. I love playing the evil SOB who kills any party member if they even look at my character wrong. Betrayal is even more delicious.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Xater said:
GoW3 was totally awesome. It was the E3 demo. What you saw there is what you get. I have to say I didn't miss the 60fps. It felt right.
Wait a sec, isn't GoW3 supposed to be 60fps? It looked like it on Sony's E3 conference playthrough.

Xater

belvedere said:
I love me some Aion but it beat out SW:TOR?

Yeah no. SW:TOR is way beyond Aion. APB would also be a good contender.

@Blablurn: Yeah that's Randy Pitchford. You can tell just by the presentation how much he cares about his game. They also gave one hell of a presentation. Very well planed out. The game looks like it could be amazing. Hopefully it will work out for Gearbox.

He also gave us the speech about reporting on it so new IPs get a chance. :lol

Zen

Banned
DieH@rd said:
Nope, they are targeting 30fps.

Last I heard that isn't true. They're targetting it not going below 30FPS but 30FPS isn't their framerate absolute at all. It's going to be 60, variable, if it drops it drops, but they do not want it going below 30 ever.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Xater said:
Yeah no. SW:TOR is way beyond Aion. APB would also be a good contender.

@Blablurn: Yeah that's Randy Pitchford. You can tell just by the presentation how much he cares about his game. They also gave one hell of a presentation. Very well planed out. The game looks like it could be amazing. Hopefully it will work out for Gearbox.

He also gave us the speech about reporting on it so new IPs get a chance. :lol

Phew, good to hear.

Also I'm happy for Randy, he deserves great success. Can't wait to see more of it.

Haunted

Xater said:
Ok letzt do another impressions thread:

Dragon Age (PC build, presentation): So I got to see a presentation of what Bioware calls Choice 2.0. They said decisions in DA will not be good or bad, there are are just decisions you make on your own. There is no light or dark points or anything. They also told me there will be alot of big decisions the player will have to make during the game. They showed me a quest where they had to get some ash from the urn of a prophet to heal a king.

Borderlands (Xbox 360 build, presentation): Randy (as enthusiastic as always) presented a 4 player co-op game. And yes it's totally "Diablo the FPS". The no dice rolling is totally true. They showe how you ca do critical hits by just aiming at at weak spots of enemies. The look of the game is just amazing in motion. BTW the game also has split-screen co-op. That should make some people happy.

Rage (PC build, presentation): First I have to clarify what I saw. It was a PC build, that was played with a Xbox 360 controller (it also had all the Xbox button in the HUD) and it used the console assets. It also ran at 720p with 60fps. They said that this is basically what you will see in the console versions and yeah it looked great. I was suprised to see some really cool character animation. It's probably the most ambitious title id ever created. They are really trying to create a living breathing world. Just walking through the city Wellspring was cool. You culd listen to all the people and the desing was just cool.
Excellent.

Mr.NiceGuy

Jostifer

Surely, if they were forced (no they weren't) to have something different in the sole PC category then Diablo 3 should have the honors? Ugh.

Xater said:

I'm one of those people. Really good to hear that splitscreen is in. +1 on the 360 version for that news barring really rough reviews.

spwolf

Blablurn said:

Not so stealthy Kojima, are you? :D

Dizzan

MINI Member
I would love some more indepth comparisons between FIFA and pro evo. I am seriously considering switching sides this year

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
holy christ what a horrible week.
flight cancelled but our bags go through. 31 hour flight, lost bags for three days.
the city seems cool.

Blablurn

thank god i'm back at home. there were just toooo many people today. the play was that i should meet my friends. i did, but i left the place after showing them the most important things. i mean, i already saw everything. so there is no need to stay. damn it, so many people -.- and they were dumb. there was a 4h line for modern warfare 2. and it was just for a video.

reminder

Blablurn said:
thank god i'm back at home. there were just toooo many people today. the play was that i should meet my friends. i did, but i left the place after showing them the most important things. i mean, i already saw everything. so there is no need to stay. damn it, so many people -.- and they were dumb. there was a 4h line for modern warfare 2. and it was just for a video.

Yeah, two days were enough for me, especially with the trade visitors day being one of them. But i'm already excited for next years gamescom. :D

Top Bottom