• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom Cologne 2009 - The Thread

Xater

Stuff I just remembered:

I also really enjoyed the Lost-Planet 2 Co-op demo they had there. I played the PS3 version. I really didn't like the first game but this was so much fun that it will be an insta buy when it's out. Talking with the people around me, coordinating an attack on this giant monster was increcible. you can even enter the thing trough the mout! :lol

Another Capcom game I played was Tatsunoku vs. Capcom. That was really crazy, over the top fun. Reminded me ALOT of Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Probably alot of people already played it but that's really something to look forward to as a Wii owner.

Donos

Blablurn said:
i'll be there for the whole show :lol but i only have meetings on thursday an friday (and a last one one on saturday). it's awesome because i don't live very far away from cologne. my train even stops at the convention center which is pretty awesome. but i think a lot of people are going to visit the convention tomorrow. i really appreciated the press day today because you could play almost every game. the only big lines i saw were at blizzard for starcraft 2 and diablo 3 :lol i waited for about 5 minutes at the diablo 3 booth. but then i thought "what are you doing? you won't even play this game" (i'm not that huge into pc games).

Diablo 3 is one of the few really huge PC games i'm anticipating (besides CoD:MW2). No interest in Starcraft 2 (played to much of the first)

Some more impressions about it? (also @ Xater)
Which class was playable ?

I hope it delivers. I lost countless hours in D1 and D2

Blablurn

just before the sony conference

27xmfia.jpg

the entrance of the building where the conference took place

vnmdfm.jpg

after show party

x6kc46.jpg

the gt5 corner

2nc31j8.jpg

ps3 slim

adowmx.jpg

the gt psp crane

oade0w.jpg

cologne

281yihh.jpg

ps home booth

vwzi42.jpg

Xater

Donos said:
Diablo 3 is one of the few really huge PC games i'm anticipating (besides CoD:MW2). No interest in Starcraft 2 (played to much of the first)

Uh good question. Didn#t even ask that. Like I said, I still have to try it myself. I just thought it was funny tha tthe demo had a hidden dungeon. The guys I've been with got asked later on to answer some form with questiosn like:

How often did you play the demo?

Did you find the hidden dungeon?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
SONAFABITCH

I just got a call form my uncle who is in Germany now for GC, apparently the asshole got free press tickets and went with his friend. He called me to say he was sorry to forget me.

FML

Blablurn

in terms of impressions. i played some need for speed nitro for the wii. wtf? i remember that need for speed hot pursuit 2 for ps2 looked much better in 2003. what the ef happened there?

i also played some tony hawk ride which was ok. unfortunately the game looks really bad.

and you know what? i saw a live presentation of bethesda's bring. in terms of graphics this game is on the same level as killzone 2. hoooly fuck. i don't like the character design (kinda cartoony) but the graphics were fuckin' awesome.

and i played a couple of PES and FIFA matches.... PES >>>>> FIFA this year.

Xater

Oh yea I totally blocked out Tony Hawk. Yeah that game is awful. I really didn't like how it controlls. Sometimes it didn't do what I wanted to do and I really had to fight with the controlls. It also still looks like shit. I still think this is going to bomb and I wasn't the only one who thought that there...

@Blablurn: Brink was there? Where? I want to see that in action.

Blablurn

Xater said:
Oh yea I totally blocked out Tony Hawk. Yeah that game is awful. I really didn't like how it controlls. Sometimes it didn't do what I wanted to do and I really had to fight with the controlls. It also still looks like shit. I still think this is going to bomb and I wasn't the only one who thought that there...

@Blablurn: Brink was there? Where? I want to see that in action.

you needed a press appointment to see it :(

Donos

Blablurn said:
in terms of impressions. i played some need for speed nitro for the wii. wtf? i remember that need for speed hot pursuit 2 for ps2 looked much better in 2003. what the ef happened there?

i also played some tony hawk ride which was ok. unfortunately the game looks really bad.

and you know what? i saw a live presentation of bethesda's bring. in terms of graphics this game is on the same level as killzone 2. hoooly fuck. i don't like the character design (kinda cartoony) but the graphics were fuckin' awesome.

and i played a couple of PES and FIFA matches.... PES >>>>> FIFA this year.

Bring ? That's the name of the game or do you mean they brought something (exciting) with them? Never heard about it oO

Edit: Brink, okay googled it. Looks good. New to me.

Diablo 3 Demo was ~15 Minutes to play. You could play Wizard, Babarian and Witch Doctor. Also 2-4 Player MP was enabled on special PCs. It was awesome, plays perfectly, looks REALLY good and it is... diablo, what do you want more? :D

Starcraft 2 you had 20 Minutes, finished 1 Campaign Map, good game :)

GoW3 was absolutely awesome but they had it hooked up at crappy TVs...

MAG played pretty good, too. I was surprised

More impressions tomorrow, need some sleep now.
Will post something tomorrow about: League of Legends, The Old Republic, GoW3 (more), Gothic4 (Arcania), Painkiller Ressurection and some more Games :)

Xater

Blablurn said:
nope, their booth is in hall 6!

damn, did you see the ubi soft girls? holy crap; fucking hot.

I totally did not see the booth.

I've seen alot of hot girls that are probably glad it's this hot in Cologne. Not alot of clothes on some of them. ;)

Zeliard

Donos said:

Diablo 3 will deliver, and it will deliver in glorious fashion. The likelihood that it won't is miniscule.

The only real question surrounding that game is when the fuck it's gonna come out!

Donos

Tryckser said:
Diablo 3 Demo was ~15 Minutes to play. You could play Wizard, Babarian and Witch Doctor. Also 2-4 Player MP was enabled on special PCs. It was awesome, plays perfectly, looks REALLY good and it is... diablo, what do you want more? :D

Starcraft 2 you had 20 Minutes, finished 1 Campaign Map, good game :)

GoW3 was absolutely awesome but they had it hooked up at crappy TVs...

MAG played pretty good, too. I was surprised

More impressions tomorrow, need some sleep now.
Will post something tomorrow about: League of Legends, The Old Republic, GoW3 (more), Gothic4 (Arcania), Painkiller Ressurection and some more Games :)

Thanks. Diablo 3 hype through the roof. Loved Dungeon Siege 2 because it was like a upgraded Diablo.

faridmon

Teetris said:
SONAFABITCH

I just got a call form my uncle who is in Germany now for GC, apparently the asshole got free press tickets and went with his friend. He called me to say he was sorry to forget me.

FML
:lol
thats harsh. i can't stop laughing. sorry bro...........:lol

Donos said:
Thanks. Diablo 3 hype through the roof. Loved Dungeon Siege 2 because it was like a upgraded Diablo.
Yeah, Blizzard always gets it right. The Version they had there played better then every other Hack 'n Slash released the last years. So smooth and... just perfect, and they have a year + to polish!
My hypemeter went into the sky after I played this demo :)

Donos

Zeliard said:
Have you played Titan Quest? Might hold you over for a bit.

Yeah i read alot about it and watched alot of stuff on youtube but the thing that is holding me back is the setting. I don't like that it only seems greek and egypt heavy wiht the whole setting. Maybe i grab a pack with the expansion.

Frenck

Banned
New Assassin's Creed 2 impressions from a German website:

- when Ezio hides in crowds he can pretend to belong to a particular social group, for example a group of chatting bystanders

- he can follow them and walk around with them too which looks a bit unrealistc according to the author of the article because Ezio doesn't change clothes when he blends in

- Ezio can steal from people around him by holding a button

- the money can be thrown to the ground to create dynamic obstacles for guards in pursuit

- you can also buy different goods like medicine or poison

- poison can be used for an indirect kill (probably only on minor targets), you poison a guard and the falling weapon kills the target

- a pistol replaces the throwing knives as the one hit kill weapon of choice

- the AI is much improved and works in teams to kill Ezio

- enemies have a health bar above their head, the author thinks the it makes the UI looks too busy (you can turn all HUD elements off anyway)

- there are a lot of hidden areas in the cities, the one on display is a tunnel that leads into a PoP/Indiana Jones-esque underground dungeon with wide spaces that house levers, platforms and extending stairs

- there are scripted chase sequences in these underground areas where running target may shut doors behind him which requires you to find a lever to open it

- the sense of exploration is key here and feels very different compared to the original

- you can spy on guards and gain information on the Templar conspiracy in these hidden areas

- the author complains that the movement feels too automatic (remark: proably one of those guys who holds down the action trigger and the A button the whole time :lol )

- Ezio can hire mercenaries and thiefs who help him on missions

- mercs can be used as bodyguards or for causing trouble by ordering them to cause a distraction

- thiefs follow Ezio to the rooftops and can be sent out by selecting a target from above

- eagle vision is available in third person view while walking around

+ beautiful graphics
+ interesting setting (Tuscany)
+ mission variety
+ lots of options in the sandbox

- feels too automatic
- too many icons on the screen, busy UI

It left a good impression on the author and he expects to be more enthusiastic about the game once he gets to play more. The negatives aren't that dramatic imo.

The first game rewarded you for using the controls skillfully instead of running around like a mad man with all buttons held down and I'm sure that's going to be the case in the second one too. The same goes for the second negative, the best way to experience the first game was with all HUD elements switched off and I'd be shocked if it was any different in the sequel.

faridmon

so wait, Blizzard are developing Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 at the same time?
I haven't followed them in a while but i had the impression that the only develop one big project at a time. I guess i didn't know anything.

Awntawn

Zeliard said:
Diablo 3 will deliver, and it will deliver in glorious fashion. The likelihood that it won't is miniscule.

The only real question surrounding that game is when the fuck it's gonna come out!
I'm psyched for it too, but I have some concerns with regards to whether or not the game space for it is still there. Diablo 2 ran in its prime during a time when MMOs were still in its niche stage, and people weren't ready to pay subscriptions to play games. Now that MMOs have infiltrated the mainstream market, are there still going to be that many people interested in a primarily loot-focused game that only allows you to show off your bling to 3 other people at a time?

Doodlebug

Assassin's Creed 2 certainly sounds good, and I'm glad it does because I want to enjoy it, but I'd like to see it in motion. Some newer footage, that is.

Blablurn

Sykra said:
Out of curiosity, how did you feel about pes 2009 and fifa 09 ?

PES 2009 was average. it was ok if you played it offline with some friends. but the online part sucked balls. i played a lot of fifa 09 in the last months and it was ok. i just don't like the baloon physics for the ball.

Oh jeah, something for all german gaffers or people who know about the german censorship. It got ridiculous at gamescom:
God of War 3 was COMPLETELY uncut and you saw everything in all the glorious details. So one of the most brutal games ever gets probably released uncut in germany, haha :D

jorma

is now taking requests
Tryckser said:
Oh jeah, something for all german gaffers or people who know about the german censorship. It got ridiculous at gamescom:
God of War 3 was COMPLETELY uncut and you saw everything in all the glorious details. So one of the most brutal games ever gets probably released uncut in germany, haha :D

German censorship applies to games in retail, not to games in production shown to journalists at a gamesconvention.

It will be released uncut in germany if they dont want to market it. I think they will want to market it =)

Flek

Banned
jorma said:
German censorship applies to games in retail, not to games in production shown to journalists at a gamesconvention.

no games shown @ gc BOTH (not press area) have to be rated before showing. Every visitor (even some young looking press guys :lol ) gets a wristlet showing his age (12+, 16+ 18+) so the watchdogs know who is alowed to play god of war 3 for example and who isnt.

Fox1304

Awntawn said:
I'm psyched for it too, but I have some concerns with regards to whether or not the game space for it is still there. Diablo 2 ran in its prime during a time when MMOs were still in its niche stage, and people weren't ready to pay subscriptions to play games. Now that MMOs have infiltrated the mainstream market, are there still going to be that many people interested in a primarily loot-focused game that only allows you to show off your bling to 3 other people at a time?

I think that the game will reach its public.
People enjoy coop. They enjoy it even more when it's story-driven, like in the Diablo series.
And that's a really strong IP.
Personnaly, I really prefer small coop like D3 to any MMO.
MMO are great, but you don't get the feeling to be involved in a story, even though they do their best to.
( traduction : I'll play the shit out of D3, and i certainly won't be alone :D )

Takao

Banned
I don't want to ressurect that "3hour Sony Press Gamescom" thread, so I'll do this:

Vinterbird said:
Could be that, the game is titled Dragon Ball X with no platforms mentioned.

Any word on what this ended up being?

.nimrod

some impressions from today:

Forza 3:
played the 3-screen setup with the fanatec porsche wheel, and damn is the force feedback strong
also, when you're not used to having 3 screens you really have to force youself to look at the extra two :lol

Heavy Rain:
the junkyard section was playable, and it's awesome.
the controls are kinda wierd at first, but don't take longer than 2 minutes to get used to

Brink:
i didn't play it myself but saw the presentation.
it looks really good and ran pretty well, most of the time with 60fps
it has a "smart"-button that lets you easily climb/jump over/slide under things, it looks a bit like mirrors edge and seems to work like assassins creed
you can choose submissions on the fly and it shows you how much xp you'd get for each submission which depends on the class you're using (being a spy gives you lots of xp for interrogating an enemy, for example, while you'd get way less xp for just killing everyone). when you've chosen a submission a small blue arrow appears at the top of the screen indicating where you have to go.
Classes can be changed during battle at terminals that are spread all over the world.

Dark Void:
I was pretty unimpressed by the demo, felt like a mass effect mission with some platforming. You had to collect some airplane pieces and shoot robots.

Blur:
lots of cars on the track at once
it also felt like the car had an extremely wide turn radius

Mafia 2
they showed a video explaining stuff you do besides the main missions, and it looks as if it's gonna be at least as good as the first one
which was awesome :D

nothing new was shown for God Of War 3 and Splinter Cell Conviction, just the E3 demos. at least GoW3 was playable.
the demo of Uncharted 2 was just the level of the coop section of the beta

that's all i can remember for now...

i also managed to get some cool schwag:

Brink and Mafia 2 t-shirts
Mass Effect 2 Poster
Dark Void action figure
Rockstar table tennis ball + stickers
small Wet poster
and a Playstation necklace

dypysx.jpg

not that bad for the first day :)

Top Bottom