• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Whitta : Bigger news than Xbox/Activision acquisition coming soon

Which are you ?

• #TeamReal

• #TeamFake

Results are only viewable after voting.
It’s either Sony and Nintendo merging.

Or Apple buying Nintendo.
The Apple thing would be kinda crazy and scary... for the current players. But by all accounts Apple has no interest in going after the "hardcore" gamers. According to the Wall Street Journal Apple's operating profits on just games in 2019 were more than Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, and Activision Blizzard... combined. If you believe their reporting, that fucking insane.

jakinov

I don't want this sale approved. Shit is gonna kick off even more insane consolidation schemes. The AAA industry was already too stagnate as it is.
If people wanted to buy each other out they would have done it already not because Microsoft is doing it. This won't kick off anything. Consolidation is good. Means more money goes to developers instead of business overhead. And nowadays we don't really need big publishers to create popujlar games. More and more there's big games are owned by indie game studios that just self-publish their game. You dont' need a publisher to go to digital and you can always hire/contract your own marketing when you need it.

Chiggs

Microsoft, Sony, or Tencent buying Valve

Or

New console from Apple

Or

Sony buys EA

Or

Half-Life 3

Last edited:

O-N-E

You guys are talking about buyouts... but has anyone brought up a merger?

Remember how Sony started off in the gaming industry... maybe they've teamed up again.

image.png

cheeky-pepe.webp

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Well, lets be real here. Spending nearly $70b is a huuuuuge move.

And arguably an unnecessary one because certainly based on what's already known did MS really need to do this to shore up their position? I mean there's no way in hell that they'd resort to this sort of expenditure to get over on Sony. Its total overkill.

So. The question becomes, what would spook MS so badly that they'd resort to buying ABK? And bear in mind the conditions of the deal is an all-cash buyout. This isn't for stock, which is pretty unusual. Bear in mind that ABK's net revenue at peak has been around $6.6b per year, so they're looking at 10 years before they even recoup the purchase price, and a decade is a long time in gaming (consider where WoW was then compared to now).
This wasn't an instant purchase your realize right? Probably took a couple years.

Chiggs

This wasn't an instant purchase your realize right? Probably took a couple years.

It most assuredly did not.

That's NOT how deals like this go down. I'd know...I've been a part of them.

So. The question becomes, what would spook MS so badly that they'd resort to buying ABK? And bear in mind the conditions of the deal is an all-cash buyout. This isn't for stock, which is pretty unusual. Bear in mind that ABK's net revenue at peak has been around $6.6b per year, so they're looking at 10 years before they even recoup the purchase price, and a decade is a long time in gaming (consider where WoW was then compared to now).

This is intriguing, I must admit. Whether or not anything comes from it, though. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Wait are people here really taking this seriously? He said on KFGD today that all this tweet was about was a free to play game he was launching this week with someone. LMAO. Anyone who has listened to Gary in the past should've known he was just hyping up something personal to him. Close this thread LOL

1:14:40 in the video

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I mean.. honestly... there isn't much that could be bigger.

MS just bought the biggest company out there.

I do wonder if MS was forced into it because Sony is about to do something big.
Something like Sony buying GTA6 Exclusivity could have forced MS to buy Call of Duty.
Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

Ezquimacore

Banned
You guys are talking about buyouts... but has anyone brought up a merger?

Remember how Sony started off in the gaming industry... maybe they've teamed up again.

image.png

cheeky-pepe.webp
Maybe Nintendo gonna buy Playstation Japan since they're kinda worthless these days in Japan.

zapiks44

If this is about a single game, there's no way it could be bigger than Microsoft buying Activision. Even Rockstar finally announcing GTA VI would less significant.

Quantum253

Since we're in crazy rumor territory. How about Lucas Arts/Disney ends exclusivity with EA and Microsoft buys rights to make all Star War games within Msoft studios or Lucas Arts goes with Ubisoft and Microsoft buys Ubisoft.

DaGwaphics

Probably wasn't reactionary in regards to what competitors were doing. Activision's stock has been trending downward for a minute, that type of thing can make shareholders more willing to take a deal. Every chance it was just something that came along that MS thought was a good fit at the right price. Nadella had already said they were looking at other publishers, potentially bigger than Zenimax - looks like they found one ready to play ball.

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
The Apple thing would be kinda crazy and scary... for the current players. But by all accounts Apple has no interest in going after the "hardcore" gamers. According to the Wall Street Journal Apple's operating profits on just games in 2019 were more than Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, and Activision Blizzard... combined. If you believe their reporting, that fucking insane.

But imagine getting all those kids into the Apple ecosystem early doors via a Nintendo gaming device. I can see why that would be attractive to Apple.

They aren’t going to sit back and watch MS buy up the entire market to themselves. There’s no bigger jewel in gaming than Nintendo.

Chiggs

What lol. So a couple of weeks then?

You'd be surprised how sudden developments like this can happen seemingly overnight. Just look at AT&T's decision to sell WarnerMedia to Discovery. About a year after their initial deal closed!

Sure, someone at Microsoft may have been thinking about something like this...as most leaders have a list of potential acquisitions ready to go, but when it comes right down to it, it generally boils down to:
  • Something forcing one party's hand
  • A great offer
  • Someone wanting to get out
  • Some interest from the board of directors
  • Desperation or Hype
American businesses are not these buttoned up, well-oiled machines that are free from human emotion, reaction and overreaction.

I mean, look at when Minecraft was sold to Microsoft. That happened because Notch sent out a Tweet...and it happened really quick.

Last edited:
I see a lot of Apple buys Sony. What’s the rationale here?
There is no rational. Apple only buys companies to absorb people, IP, patents, and existing technology. Which would mean that they’d have to either 1) Kill Sony 2) Rebrand Sony 3) allow Sony to run independently and share manufacturing, R&D and resources.

None of that is happening.

Apple buys Sony’s gaming division? That’s a different story and is plausible.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
You'd be surprised how sudden developments like this can happen seemingly overnight. Just look at AT&T's decision to sell WarnerMedia to Discovery. About a year after their initial deal closed!

Sure, someone at Microsoft may have been thinking about something like this...as most leaders have a list of potential acquisitions ready to go, but when it comes right down to it, it generally boils down to:
  • Something forcing one party's hand
  • A great offer
  • Someone wanting to get out
  • Some interest from the board of directors
  • Desperation or Hype
American businesses are not these buttoned up, well-oiled machines that are free from human emotion, reaction and overreaction.

I mean, look at when Minecraft was sold to Microsoft. That happened because Notch sent out a Tweet...and it happened really quick.

The reason I asked is our company got purchased during covid and the paper work alone, financials, discovery, due diligence, etc... Took close to 4 months. Then it was about a month more before purchase. And we had 20 people in the company being bought by a 5 billion dollar company.

I'd imagine 70 billion would require much more oversight. I would think the norm world be longer than that for a large acquisition. Rushing doesn't seem like MS's modus operandi.

Could be wrong of course.

AmuroChan

Since we're in crazy rumor territory. How about Lucas Arts/Disney ends exclusivity with EA and Microsoft buys rights to make all Star War games within Msoft studios or Lucas Arts goes with Ubisoft and Microsoft buys Ubisoft.

Not crazy at all. That exclusivity has already ended. Quantic Dream is making a SW game. And KOTOR Remake is being developed by Aspyr.

Chiggs

The reason I asked is our company got purchased during covid and the paper work alone, financials, discovery, due diligence, etc... Took close to 4 months. Then it was about a month more before purchase. And we had 20 people in the company being bought by a 5 billion dollar company.

I'd imagine 70 billion would require much more oversight. I would think the norm world be longer than that for a large acquisition. Rushing doesn't seem like MS's modus operandi.

Could be wrong of course.

You're absolutely right about all the paperwork and logistics, which is why this deal isn't expected to close until 2023, per the press release. To me, that says all the work is yet to come.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
You're absolutely right about all the paperwork and logistics, which is why this deal isn't expected to close until 2023, per the press release. To me, that says all the work is yet to come.
So you are saying they agreed to the deal in principle only right?

Steam buying EA
Sony buying Steam
Sony/Epic buying Take2
Microsoft buying Codemasters
Sony buying Stadia
Disney buying Sony
Nintendo buying MDHR
Microsoft buying EA

Chiggs

So you are saying they agreed to the deal in principle only right?

I think it's a little more than that, but could this whole thing still fall apart? Most assuredly. Just look at Nvidia and ARM. Same thing kinda applies here, but Microsoft has a much better chance of pushing this through because A) they're not as despised as Nvidia is, B) there's probably not enough anti-competitive mojo for the courts to stop this and C) most people will see MS as savior tasked with reforming the toxic culture.

Last edited:

Daymos

Well since this guy is forspoken, if Sony is buying square-enix then damnit I'll buy a PS5... I'll be happy that MS won't own all of my favorite old jrpgs to whore out on gamepass.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I think it's a little more than that, but could this whole thing still fall apart? Most assuredly. Just look at Nvidia and ARM. Same thing kinda applies here, but Microsoft has a much better chance of pushing this through because A) they're not as despised as Nvidia is, B) there's probably not enough anti-competitive mojo for the courts to stop this and C) most people will see MS as savior tasked with reforming the toxic culture.
Interesting. Think I learned something new today. Thank you!

Javthusiast

Banned
Only thing bigger would be Sony aquiring Wanz Factory, S 1 No. 1 Style, MOODYZ, Soft on Demand and Prestige.

Then putting all their titles on their Spartacus service.

Last edited:
Sony is not dumb. Im sure they've got something up their sleeve too. Now bigger than Activision, idk if anything realistically could be done this week to be bigger.
aaaah aaaaahh Sony is dumb, and it comes from a PS loyal fan since PS1, and they show. Who's dumb now, MS or Sony with their micro acquisitions to make great pc ports! They've got nothing to say and nothing to show....

But we're save, they have Abandoned! 🤡

Last edited:
Even adding Activision, MS doesn't have any monopoly in any gaming market or area. In fact they won't even be market leaders anywhere. I don't see why antitrust laws should be applied here.

When you consider some of the most played games in existence is COD and Warzone, the argument becomes muddled. Lets not pretend that Activision games are a big system seller for PlayStation in Europe and RoW where Microsoft isn't as strong. Microsoft will in 18 months, have just given cause for any consumer of ActiBlizz consumers to ditch PlayStation. So from a market analysis point of view they've effectively taken a bite directly out of their nearest competitor's market share.
And my point was, if Microsoft then go and buy EA or TakeTwo or whatever, then it will be a monopoly.
It doesn't matter that they won't be the largest publisher, again they will have taken a massive audience away from their nearest direct competitor.

And even now its this Activision Deal should be brought to antitrust. A $70 Billion dollar acquisition is no fucking joke. Its nearly 10x the second largest acquisition which was $7.5 Billion by Microsoft again. Who else in this industry has that kind of purchasing power? Literally nobody. No other big dollar company like Amazon or Tencent...or even Apple have an entire platform and gaming ecosystem they're financing to essentially remove their competition from the market by force.

If this kind of consolidation of IP continues. Whether that's Microsoft running around and buying out major publications, or Sony splashing some of their comparatively limited cash reserves for a counter-purchase. None of this is good for the consumer.
And if Microsoft ends up pushing Sony out, or relegate them to a Nintendo 2.0, then you can bet your ass shit like Gamepass and Xbox live will stop being the good value that it is right now. And then what?

It depends, does Gaben has enough money or does he want a bit more for his retirement? He may retire soon and I'm pretty sure MS would be interested to get Steam, a VR headset and their portable PC plus some extra PC games and IPs. MS would pay even more for it: they would get basically the monopoly of the PC market, the future of the handhelds and a top tier VR to compete with Sony.

This would be an actual disaster for the gaming industry. Nobody except Microsoft shareholders, shills and moron fanboys should want this. Microsoft buying Valve would make the PC market a monopoly. Microsoft, as evidenced by this acquisition will have the appetite to essentially murder the existence of competing stores like the EGS and whathaveyou by outbidding for store exclusives. Unlike Valve they won't be quite so passive.
Then we're fucked.

aaaah aaaaahh Sony is dumb, and it comes from a PS loyal fan since PS1, and they show. Who's dumb now, MS or Sony with their micro acquisitions to make great pc ports! They've got nothing to say and nothing to show.

Sony doesn't have the money to do anything about this. They can spin up a bunch of studios and build up new franchises and game series, but that will take time. Microsoft has basically bought an entire audience with their purchase, and there is nobody else in this industry that can compete with that.

Last edited:

Concern

aaaah aaaaahh Sony is dumb, and it comes from a PS loyal fan since PS1, and they show. Who's dumb now, MS or Sony with their micro acquisitions to make great pc ports! They've got nothing to say and nothing to show....

But we're save, they have Abandoned! 🤡

I have my doubts but I guess we'll see. I hope not. What we need is great competition, not a repeat of last gen for either one.

Sony doesn't have the money to do anything about this. They can spin up a bunch of studios and build up new franchises and game series, but that will take time. Microsoft has basically bought an entire audience with their purchase, and there is nobody else in this industry that can compete with that.
Sony does not give a shit. We had multiple reports that they just don't care like at all about big studios.

If GTA 6 was to be exclusive to PS5, truth me, will would have known... they have nothing.

Top Bottom