• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Whitta : Bigger news than Xbox/Activision acquisition coming soon

Which are you ?

• #TeamReal

• #TeamFake

Results are only viewable after voting.
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate: Endmost Pinnacle Edition
Power Stone - Battle Royale
Halo v. Gears of War (2-D Fighting Game)
GTA VI - Timed Exclusive for Stadia

people need to get the idea of Sony buying take two or GTA 6 exclusivity out their damn head. they can't afford it.

while i don't believe this tweet means anything i do think MS will make another purchase. they could seriously go for EA or Take Two next. that would be a death blow to Sony. Imagine they took FIFA and GTA away from them in addition to CoD.

MS has spent 77.5b so far so nothing is off limits now. i think EA is worth maybe 40-50b and Take Two about 30-40b. You don't think MS has another 70-90b so spend? Also their CEO is fully committed to gaming. this isn't just Phil Spencer the head of Xbox....i'm taking about Satya Nadella. he has to also think of all the other MS divisions/products but he's giving Phil a lot of money to play with.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
So how come Nvidia can afford to buy Arm for $40 billion?
OKay, my son. Let's put a wager on it. Sony couldn't 3ven mimick a 7 billion dollar deal. So now their gonna mimic another one, ten times that amount???

Lol. That tracks I guess...

Orta

Banned
Mark Cerny announced as new president of the North American Man/Boy Love Association!

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
people need to get the idea of Sony buying take two or GTA 6 exclusivity out their damn head. they can't afford it.

while i don't believe this tweet means anything i do think MS will make another purchase. they could seriously go for EA or Take Two next. that would be a death blow to Sony. Imagine they took FIFA and GTA away from them in addition to CoD.

MS has spent 77.5b so far so nothing is off limits now. i think EA is worth maybe 40-50b and Take Two about 30-40b. You don't think MS has another 70-90b so spend? Also their CEO is fully committed to gaming. this isn't just Phil Spencer the head of Xbox....i'm taking about Satya Nadella. he has to also think of all the other MS divisions/products but he's giving Phil a lot of money to play with.
Sony can afford to buy Take 2 two times over.

They'd just better pray they recoup that money spent quickly, which GTA 6 as a PS5 exclusive would secure, But this "Sony cant afford Take 2" is not true. of course they can.

mnkl13

it kinda makes sense something is going on and something really big can be on the way, because this moves by microsoft are strange...why doing this now? why not during previous gens?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
While the acquisition is big, overall it is still Call of Duty because everything else in their catalogue is dormant (COD is pretty much all they release theses days) and even with sales it's still one IP Which may or may not continue to be published on multiplatforms.
There are smaller valued companies that hold a lot more valuable IP's for gamers then Activision as a whole.
If one or two of them would to be purchased that would be bigger on the grand scale of things.
Maybe that's what he means.
In short
Be more concerned with the remaining pieces on the board instead of those that have been taken.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
it kinda makes sense something is going on and something really big can be on the way, because this moves by microsoft are strange...why doing this now? why not during previous gens?
Maybe it's a preemptive, maybe MS knows something we don't.
Or maybe Phil just likes buying stuff?

Guys I just got back from the dark web. It turns out Sony is about to push a firmware update that turns the PS5 into an NFT Storage Locker. They traded Naughty Dog to Amazon for a chunk of AWS WebSpace the size of Oklahoma and are no long in the gaming business.

ntropy

sick of this TICK TOCK bullshit

gordon-ramsay-fuck-off.gif

supernova8

Banned
Unless it's another acquisition, "bigger" news is totally subjective and therefore he has played everyone and we're all falling for it.

ksdixon

EA exclusitivity would hurt. Look at dreamcast. Lots of people just do cod, madden/fifa, ass creed etc per year. Sony have ip, but a bad game can damage an ip's brand.

Are people forgetting Embracer Group, or have they already been TenCent'd?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Apple buying Sony would make a lot of sense.

IIRC Sony makes the cameras in the iPhone. Apple would gut Sony's phone division for patents and then they own the cameras in their own devices, much like they do the CPU/GPU. From a vertical integration standpoint, not even looking at gaming, Apple might look at it.

And then of course, the PS5 effectively becomes the new Apple TV.

B/c would be dead, though, since Apple would want to move to an M-based PS6 as soon as possible.

EDIT: And Apple would not have to actually buy Sony. Just buy the movie/music divisions for content, the gaming division for Playstation, and the phone division. Sony makes most of their money off insurance and they'd just become an insurance company.
The Japanese government wouldn’t allow it.

John Wick

OKay, my son. Let's put a wager on it. Sony couldn't 3ven mimick a 7 billion dollar deal. So now their gonna mimic another one, ten times that amount???

Lol. That tracks I guess...
Listen prat don't be calling me son. You obviously have no clue how companies can buy other companies worth double the cash they have on hand.
Secondly Sony didn't need to mimic the Bethesda deal because they already had great studios and loads of great IP.
I never stated Sony were going to do a 70billion deal. They could do a big deal like 20-30 billion maybe more. Depends on if they need to or not.

Naked Lunch

Series X/S gets Playstation 1/2/3 backwards compat since Sony refuses to do it.

or for my serious guess, Steam playable on Xbox would be pretty huge.

John Wick

What a load of horseshit....
It's like nobody else but MS can buy other companies...... Deluded

Breaking News: Microsoft bought the Sun. You now have to pay Microsoft money to stay warm.

Lethal Monopoly on sunlight. At least Microsoft will let you have Windows so you can look out and see all the warm people while u freeze to death.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not likely to happen but sony and Nintendo joining forces would be pretty cool in a way.
Imagine a true next gen mario and zelda?
They don't even have to merge, they could just both agree to support eachothers systems.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Ms buys value, modifies the steam portable to be called the xbox series P. Runs xbox os primarily, but can side boot windows or steam os to keep everyone happy. Half life 3 announced and ready for launch this fall on pc, xbox and series P. Steam store renamed xbox store, gamepass expanded. Vr headset launch this fall. 👌

Top Bottom