• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Whitta : Bigger news than Xbox/Activision acquisition coming soon

Which are you ?

• #TeamReal

• #TeamFake

Results are only viewable after voting.

ManaByte

That dude wrote the script for Book of Eli.

Braille Bible in Book of Eli:
the-book-of-eli.jpg

Braille Bible in reality:
braille-bible.jpg

Yoboman

Isn't EA worth more than Sony?

Now if Tencent - who has unlimited money - bought EA, that would be huge.
Lol no. Sony market cap is 143 billion, EA is 37 billion

Way above what they could afford though. Or more accurately what they'd ever be willing to spend

So he thinks Sony announcing an acquisition of Square Enix is bigger than Activision?......

Cracking Up Lol GIF
It could be MS getting Sega and Square and Capcom and From Software and Namco and Nintendo and TK2, since well, as a playstation guy I must admit, Sony is not interest at all and said it so.

Sony is not interesting in selling more PS5.
Sony is not interesting in backward compatibility.
Sony is not interesting in a lot of things for PS owners.... their games are moving to PC

But at least, there is 9.00 that is still bigger than what MS could buy.

Last edited:

Castef

Banned
Most probably he has some knowledge about something boiling in Square Enix's pot.

I'd go with the announcement of an official exclusive collaboration between Sony and S/E.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't see what could be bigger. Would have to be something absolutely insane like MS buying Nintendo or Sony. Which isn't happening. (Watch it happen next Wednesday.)

Maybe Valve/Steam...

And that's pretty much it. Nothing else I can think of would be bigger.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Most probably he has some knowledge about something boiling in Square Enix's pot.

I'd go with the announcement of an official exclusive collaboration between Sony and S/E.

There's no way anyone could ever consider that to be bigger news than MS buying AB. It would be big if this hadn't just happened, but in comparison it's a shrug.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Gamepass coming to Playstation?

Microsoft buys Nintendo ?

Microsoft buys Valve?

GamePass on Steam?

Gamepass on Nintendo?

Microsoft buys Take two?

Microsoft Buys EA?

Cant think of anything bigger except those above
how does anyone imagine gamepass coming to PS ?
Of course it never will... and even if it did.. how? technically how? you need to port the games

Lognor

Banned

But that's not bigger news. Not even close. I'm guessing this is nothing. He would not be in a position to know anything anyway.

how does anyone imagine gamepass coming to PS ?
Of course it never will... and even if it did.. how? technically how? you need to port the games
Nah, cloud gaming

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
But that's not bigger news. Not even close. I'm guessing this is nothing. He would not be in a position to know anything anyway.

Nah, cloud gaming
ah of course ! How could I not see that. That makes actually a lot of sense

Concern

It could be MS getting Sega and Square and Capcom and From Software and Namco and Nintendo and TK2, since well, as a playstation guy I must admit, Sony is not interest at all and said it so.

Sony is not interesting in selling more PS5.
Sony is not interesting in backward compatibility.
Sony is not interesting in a lot of things for PS owners.... their games are moving to PC

But at least, there is 9.00 that is still bigger than what MS could buy.

Sony is not dumb. Im sure they've got something up their sleeve too. Now bigger than Activision, idk if anything realistically could be done this week to be bigger.

Another thing, on the topic of Apple:

Apple actually sells Dualsense controllers on their website

Could this be further proof of Apple getting in bed with PlayStation? Maybe an effort to bring PS games to Apple Arcade?

Not sure if it’s bigger than this deal though…
lol no

Gamepass coming to Playstation?

Microsoft buys Nintendo ?

Microsoft buys Valve?

GamePass on Steam?

Gamepass on Nintendo?

Microsoft buys Take two?

Microsoft Buys EA?

Cant think of anything bigger except those above
By brain also went to most of those exact thoughts haha.

The moment a major earth shattering announcement is made there's always someone touting that there's an even bigger announcement imminent! This is how MS buying Sega was born. As if this isn't major enough. The only thing bigger would be MS buying Sony or Nintendo. I won't be surprised if nothing at all happens.
This or a Sony / Nintendo merger.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Only thing bigger i could think of is if Sony were brought out by a Giga company (Apple, Disney, Amazon)

Buyout is simply not possible, but some kind of alliance/strategic partnership is. Basically Sony providing content for some mega-corp with massive internet reach and infrastructure, but only limited experience with gaming,

nowhat

OK, since this is all wild speculation, I'll do it as well. Not that I think this will happen, but in the off chance it does, I want to say "nailed it!"

The facts are:
  1. Sony can't afford acquisitions on the scale of Microsoft, no matter what
  2. PS Now is being transformed to... something
  3. Netflix is looking to expand into gaming
...thus the only logical outcome is that the next iteration of PS Now will be integrated with Netflix, with a huge install base already there. Bloody unlikely, and with lots of obstacles to overcome, both technical and business-wise. But if it does happen, told you so.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
OK, since this is all wild speculation, I'll do it as well. Not that I think this will happen, but in the off chance it does, I want to say "nailed it!"

The facts are:
  1. Sony can't afford acquisitions on the scale of Microsoft, no matter what
  2. PS Now is being transformed to... something
  3. Netflix is looking to expand into gaming
...thus the only logical outcome is that the next iteration of PS Now will be integrated with Netflix, with a huge install base already there. Bloody unlikely, and with lots of obstacles to overcome, both technical and business-wise. But if it does happen, told you so.

This would make NO sense to me business wise, but funny if it came true.

John Wick

I literally just wrote that they are the SECOND richest company in the world trailing after Apple:

And "cash on hand" is not the ultimate measure of wealth. The total value of your assets is the dominant factor.
You literally said they are on course to surpass them. Which is highly unlikely.
No it isn't but it helps when you have 300+ billion cash reserves.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Microsoft buying Sony gaming division?

No. Microsoft announcing that they'll be partnering with Sony to allow GamePass on the PS4 and PS5. How many here would think THAT would be an even BIGGER announcement?

TrebleShot

This will be nothing. Mark my words even an acquisition of Square wouldn’t be up there with Activision.

Sure FF is big but it’s not bloody Call Of Duty.

Forget about it. Probably some exclusive skins or something personal to him.

Sony don’t need to buy big studios they already own the best in the business.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well, lets be real here. Spending nearly $70b is a huuuuuge move.

And arguably an unnecessary one because certainly based on what's already known did MS really need to do this to shore up their position? I mean there's no way in hell that they'd resort to this sort of expenditure to get over on Sony. Its total overkill.

So. The question becomes, what would spook MS so badly that they'd resort to buying ABK? And bear in mind the conditions of the deal is an all-cash buyout. This isn't for stock, which is pretty unusual. Bear in mind that ABK's net revenue at peak has been around $6.6b per year, so they're looking at 10 years before they even recoup the purchase price, and a decade is a long time in gaming (consider where WoW was then compared to now).

Whatever it is, it's definitely not another $70 Billion purchase. If estimates are accurate, MS had an $137 Billion cash on hand (wooo doggy!) minus that $70 Billion... STILL A SHIT TON OF CASH :messenger_tears_of_joy:

While searching up these numbers Sony seems to have spent $25 Billion of it's cash on hand sometime in early 2021.

Apple seems to be at the top of S&P 500 companies with nearly $200 Billion cash on hand... they could maybe scrounge up a little more money and pick up Microsoft 🤔 The SEC would be on that right after the first meeting.

Top Bottom