• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Whitta completed first draft of Star Wars spinoff, moves on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You're welcome to criticize his work, but not welcome to be a tiny misshapen dick. He's a member of the site and doesn't disrespect anyone here or claim to be god's gift to prose.

yeah the Whitta hatred has always been a bit out of control here

people seem to be out for blood for some reason

Clydefrog

How much money did he get paid for his work on Star Wars? Does he get a piece of the pie once it's released and making billions worldwide?

*cash register sound*

($_$)

How much money did he get paid for his work on Star Wars? Does he get a piece of the pie once it's released and making billions worldwide?

I'd imagine he'll get royalties/residuals as part of whatever home video/tv deals that are made, but most of his money probably came upfront.

Sorry to hear this. Whitta's an awesome dude. Super cheerful. Got to speak with him on the phone when I was validating some of my former employer's contacts. I'm sure this move is in the best interest of the project. There appears to be a lot of dissension between the writers/directors in the Disney Expanded Universe.

Gary, if you're still on GAF, PM me!

waypoetic

Banned
Gary Whitta = that dude who was a guest on and off the Tested podcast, who later had something to do with that After Errffff film - which GAF hated.

That's Gary Whitta.

Nairume

Banned
Gary Whitta = that dude who was a guest on and off the Tested podcast, who later had something to do with that After Errffff film - which GAF hated.

That's Gary Whitta.
Also he wrote the weakest episode of the first season of Telltale's Walking Dead.

Cheebo

Banned
no clue how a gaming forum can be against whitta, he is the brother in arms that defended video games on the news back around columbine tragedy time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfw0DYUzu44
A lot on the OT don't play video games so not really relevant. Not that I have anything against the guy, not on team hater when it comes to Whitta. But just pointing out defending games really isn't important when a lot of us don't play video games ;)

Corgi

Banned
Also he wrote the weakest episode of the first season of Telltale's Walking Dead.
Thats what happens when you draw straws and end up with the eps that sets up the finale :p

A lot on the OT don't play video games so not really relevant. Not that I have anything against the guy, not on team hater when it comes to Whitta. But just pointing out defending games really isn't important when a lot of us don't play video games ;)

I'd be pleasantly surprised if there are that many gaffers that haven't dabbled in games sometimes in their life even if its not really their thing anymore. Neogaf doesn't seem like the site you sign up for if you have zero ties to video games.

LastNac

Isn't this a Game Forum?

Just out of curiosity do you personally play games, Cheebo?

no clue how a gaming forum can be against whitta, he is the brother in arms that defended video games on the news back around columbine tragedy time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfw0DYUzu44

Much respect Mr. Whitta.

njean777

Uhh I would bet the majority do actually. This is a video game forum...

Cheebo

Banned
The majority did play, there have been topics on the OT about whether you still game anymore and quite a lot of people have fallen out of the hobby. Many may have joined initially due to gaming but many leave the hobby as their interest change with time and stick to the OT. We have quite a lot at GAF who ONLY post in the OT now for example.

LastNac

The majority did play, there have been topics on the OT about whether you still game anymore and quite a lot of people have fallen out of the hobby. Many may have joined initially due to gaming but many leave the hobby as their interest change with time and stick to the OT. We have quite a lot at GAF who ONLY post in the OT now for example.

Your also talking about a niche audience already within a niche audience.

Truth of the matter is that NeoGaf is very much Games first and foremost.

This is honestly not me shitting on the dude, but is it that difficult to get a real publishing house to pick up your book? I mean, the guy just worked on Star Wars.
If it's your first book, yes.
Yes, it is. It sounds like this is a fantasy/monster book. Not a huge market for those, and publishers want sure fired hits these days. Especially if it's a first time novelist, regardless of their background.
First-time writers are actually preferred these days. The legacy publishing industry is borne on the backs of a few mega-best-selling writers. If you are not a King, Brown, GRRM, Rowling, etc., it's better to be a debut writer than one who has "failed" before. Mid-list authors are better off going self-publishing. Fantasy is a tough genre to break into, though.

Any hack in this day and age can be a "novelist."

BTW, I love that your link contains the word "abomination" because that fits his career oh so perfectly.
No, you need to start and finish writing a novel to be called a novelist, which 99% of people can't do; I suspect you haven't, either. I'm a legacy-published novelist. I don't recommend it as a career.

Gary wrote movies starring Denzel Washington and Will Smith, worked on the Akira adaptation, has a project with Kurt Russell, was chosen to write the first of the new Star Wars films. Yeah, quite the "abominable" career. Who do I have to kill to have one like it?

I hope he gets a good editor because if that first chapter is any indication, he has some issues with commas and the flow of his sentences.
The first thing legacy publishing cut was editing. That's the bad part about the rise of self-publishing, nobody is edited any more (particularly those big authors, it's why their books are often so bloated and poorly-written these days).

"Alfred was tired. It had been a long, hard war..."

Not the most imaginary prose, I must say. None of his descriptors seem to rise above a 5th grade reading level.
That doesn't really mean anything, from here:
NvcFlAl.jpg
Most writing isn't "hard to get." Now, there are a lot of problems with Gary's first excerpt. There's no description of place or characters, there are no sense descriptions, the first nine paragraphs are superfluous. It reads like a screenwriter's first novel. He's left out the parts that are typically somebody else's job (set design, costume, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom