• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Whitta completed first draft of Star Wars spinoff, moves on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Let's be perfectly clear, no one would give two shits about this hack if he wasn't a member of this forum.

Here's another way to phrase it:

"A member of our community, who adds value and flavor to this message board, as well as inside insight and expertise, naturally attracts more attention than he would otherwise."

The level of personal disrespect that happens here sometimes, is a good reminder of why most of the time, gaf is a better forum than a lot of others. So when I see this level of throwaway rudeness and ultimately pointless personal attack, I am reminded that it's the exception rather than the rule.

But it's still disappointing to see. It's like seeing someone track dogshit onto your carpet.

UrokeJoe

I was a fan of Gary's when he was on the PC Gamer podcast way back when, even before I joined NeoGaf. I remember them joking about him being out on strike do to the the writers strike in Hollywood. It didn't even make sense to me then. Just thought he was a game writer/podcaster... Finding him on NeoGaf was pretty cool and I appreciated it when he offered signed copies of The Book of Eli when he did. Nothing but goodwill from me.

Abounder

Banned
I never knew Whitta before or after GAF but After Earth and Book of Eli are cinematic pieces of crap, and don't inspire any confidence whatsoever for a blockbuster.

Anyway I think Star Wars stories are destined to be rewritten by the director like Abrams

A lot of apologists on this thread.

I've yet to see an example of of a "personal attack" on Whitta that's even a tenth as vile as what is posted here daily about other filmmakers. Look at any thread about Orci/Kurtzman. Whitta himself loved to shit on Lucas.

Again, why the preferential treatment?

UrokeJoe

I've yet to see an example of of a "personal attack" on Whitta that's even a tenth as vile as what is posted here daily about other filmmakers. Look at any thread about Orci/Kurtzman. Whitta himself loved to shit on Lucas.

Maybe it's just having what maybe a conduit to the person directly. I think it's perfectly okay to criticize his work.

bionic77

I think it should be fair game to say you hated one or all of his movies. Also to make fun of his edits of his previous posts on Star Wars (even though it is understandable).

But taking delight in him failing (and reaching to find failure at that) is where I would say things get a little dicey.

Maybe it's just having what maybe a conduit to the person directly. I think it's perfectly okay to criticize his work.

You're right. I think it's a damn shame that the line between if vile, personal attacks are OK/Not OK is whether the subject is a forum poster.

Here's another way to phrase it:

"A member of our community, who adds value and flavor to this message board, as well as inside insight and expertise, naturally attracts more attention than he would otherwise."

The level of personal disrespect that happens here sometimes, is a good reminder of why most of the time, gaf is a better forum than a lot of others. So when I see this level of throwaway rudeness and ultimately pointless personal attack, I am reminded that it's the exception rather than the rule.

But it's still disappointing to see. It's like seeing someone track dogshit onto your carpet.

Yeah, its super disheartening. Did you even read what you typed discojon? I mean damn...

UrokeJoe

You're right. I think it's a damn shame that the line between if vile, personal attacks are OK/Not OK is whether the subject is a forum poster.

Judging Gary as a poster also is fair in regards to what he posts, or posted(or deleted). Not gonna lie, I like the guy. Agree-disagree, but putting the two together, his work and posting here and thinking you can just come in and smash is pretty cold.

DeathyBoy

Banned

No idea. I mean the guy, as you put it, 'shit on Lucas' and then wrote After Earth. I think it's fair game to note the fact that he can type shit about Lucas but can't do any better when push comes to shove.

ZeroX03

Banned
No idea. I mean the guy, as you put it, 'shit on Lucas' and then wrote After Earth. I think it's fair game to note the fact that he can type shit about Lucas but can't do any better when push comes to shove.

After Earth was co-written by Shyamalan with a story by Will Smith of all people and was rewritten by at least three other writers. I don't think he had quite the level of influence that Lucas had on the prequels, but I suppose we can't know for sure.

The Book of Eli is probably a better representation of his work. But yes, someone can criticize another person's work without being as talented as them in the field. That's most of GAF.

Manbig

It sounds like a lot of people in here need to learn the difference between what a screenwriter and what a director is.

DeathyBoy

Banned
After Earth was co-written by Shyamalan with a story by Will Smith of all people and was rewritten by at least three other writers. I don't think he had quite the level of influence that Lucas had on the prequels, but I suppose we can't know for sure.

The Book of Eli is probably a better representation of his work. But yes, someone can criticize another person's work without being as talented as them in the field. That's most of GAF.

They can. But if you get the chance to write a Hollywood film and that stuff is what you put out? Your credibility goes to nil.

ZeroX03

Banned
They can. But if you get the chance to write a Hollywood film and that stuff is what you put out? Your credibility goes to nil.

Again, if you want to shoulder After Earth's failures on Gary Whitta, then I'm not too sure you know much about Hollywood. He could've turned in a great script for that movie and we wouldn't know.

And this is GAF. Nobody here commenting has any credibility, except for the few industry folks around. Actually getting a script made is more "credibility" than I think most of us could ever claim.

Blader

Some jealous mothrtfuckers in here. I would go back and edit my posts about the shitty prequels too if I got a job writing the screenplay for a star wars movie. Lol at that even being an issue. Btw... Fuck the prequels, they were shit and I bet whitta's story is 100x more interesting than any of those.

What issue? It's just funny, is all. Is anyone saying "Gary edited his prequel bashing posts, FUCK HIM"?

Syriel

I never knew Whitta before or after GAF but After Earth and Book of Eli are cinematic pieces of crap, and don't inspire any confidence whatsoever for a blockbuster.

Anyway I think Star Wars stories are destined to be rewritten by the director ala Abrams

I liked Book of Eli. :p

Blader

Again, if you want to shoulder After Earth's failures on Gary Whitta, then I'm not too sure you know much about Hollywood. He could've turned in a great script for that movie and we wouldn't know.

And this is GAF. Nobody here commenting has any credibility, except for the few industry folks around. Actually getting a script made is more "credibility" than I think most of us could ever claim.

Most critics, anywhere, aren't artists. I don't think it's fair to equate "I don't like Book of Eli and After Earth" with "Fuck Gary Whitta, I hope his life sucks forever" but I also don't think it's fair to say that you need to create to be credible. Otherwise the whole point of criticism is rendered moot.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Most critics, anywhere, aren't artists. I don't think it's fair to equate "I don't like Book of Eli and After Earth" with "Fuck Gary Whitta, I hope his life sucks forever" but I also don't think it's fair to say that you need to create to be credible. Otherwise the whole point of criticism is rendered moot.

Roger Ebert's an example of that. Wrote a terrible film, yet was universally respected as a critic.

Ovek

7Member7
I don't think you can peg all the problems in After Earth on Garry W, I'm sure far larger egos managed to do that damage.

entremet

This is honestly not me shitting on the dude, but is it that difficult to get a real publishing house to pick up your book? I mean, the guy just worked on Star Wars.

Big publishing houses are on their way out. And self publishing doesn't have the stigma it once had either.

This is honestly not me shitting on the dude, but is it that difficult to get a real publishing house to pick up your book? I mean, the guy just worked on Star Wars.

Yes, it is. It sounds like this is a fantasy/monster book. Not a huge market for those, and publishers want sure fired hits these days. Especially if it's a first time novelist, regardless of their background.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Let's be perfectly clear, no one would give two shits about this hack if he wasn't a member of this forum.

Any hack in this day and age can be a "novelist."

BTW, I love that your link contains the word "abomination" because that fits his career oh so perfectly.

You're welcome to criticize his work, but not welcome to be a tiny misshapen dick. He's a member of the site and doesn't disrespect anyone here or claim to be god's gift to prose.

This thread reminded me how long we've been hearing news about the Star Wars spinoff movies and how long we'll have to continue to wait to actually watch one.

I'm way more excited for the spinoffs than the numbered films. This is allegedly the Boba Fett one, right?

mjc

I hope he gets a good editor because if that first chapter is any indication, he has some issues with commas and the flow of his sentences.

After After Earth and Star Wars I can totally see him wanting to take a breather from the Hollywood bullshit for a bit.

Dude has gone on about wanting to write a novel before so good on him for getting around to it I guess.

Cheebo

Banned
After After Earth and Star Wars I can totally see him wanting to take a breather from the Hollywood bullshit for a bit.

Dude has gone on about wanting to write a novel before so good on him for getting around to it I guess.
But that isn't what he is doing. He is moving into Starlight, a big sci-fi studio movie for Fox.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
"Alfred was tired. It had been a long, hard war..."

Not the most imaginary prose, I must say. None of his descriptors seem to rise above a 5th grade reading level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom