• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker: Here's what's missing from Straight Outta Compton - The women Dre beat up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not every domestic abuser about whom a movie might be made is Jake La Motta, where the abuse is central to understanding them as a person. It may or may not be, based on the large narrative of the work in which they're being depicted. In this case, the film is supposed to be the story of four guys, not just one of them, and getting into something as heavy, politicized, and potentially cliche may have undercut the film in other ways.

dream

So the best case scenario is that he "just" threw her through a door. Okay.

You seem like you're fishing to find a way to discredit her. Why?

I think that throwing her through a door is wrong. Dre shouldn't have put his hands on her.

What trips me up, though, is how everything Dee Barnes has done blurs the line between seeking justice and seeking profit. I mean, even her author biography reads, "Dee Barnes is currently writing her memoir, Music, Myth, and Misogyny: Memoirs of a Female MC. She is looking for a publisher."

I think that throwing her through a door is wrong. Dre shouldn't have put his hands on her.

What trips me up, though, is how everything Dee Barnes has done blurs the line between seeking justice and seeking profit. I mean, even her author biography reads, "Dee Barnes is currently writing her memoir, Music, Myth, and Misogyny: Memoirs of a Female MC. She is looking for a publisher."

And the problem with the title is...?

Ayt

Banned
It's interesting because it means she's a gold-digger so we don't have to feel too bad about her getting beat up. Defaming her character is the only reason to bring it up.

"Bitches ain't shit..." Ugh.

I listened to this garbage music in high school and it definitely had an impact on me and everyone around me in how we treated women. Hopefully this movie doesn't catch on with young people so the gross misogyny isn't glorified yet again. The sad thing is that young men tend to gobble up any justification for misogyny largely out of fear of their own sexuality.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
"Bitches ain't shit..." Ugh.

I listened to this garbage music in high school and it definitely had an impact on me and everyone around me in how we treated women. Hopefully this movie doesn't catch on with young people so the gross misogyny isn't glorified yet again. The sad thing is that young men tend to gobble up any justification for misogyny largely out of fear of their own sexuality.

modern hip hop isn't much better in this regard and is popular as ever

God forbid someone talks about something that happened to them in a memoir. Dr. Dre has the right idea, just skip all the unpleasant bits.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

"I think that assaulting women is wrong, but if it happens, they shouldn't be able to profit from it financially"

You must hate Samantha Geimer, huh. Her book title was sooo tacky.

dabig2

It's weird to see the "well, she's no angel..." line of argument used here.

It's actually really fucking unsettling. And further evidence that money, power, and fame will get you out of anything. Bill Cosby survived on that ideal for 4 decades.

Ayt

Banned
modern hip hop isn't much better in this regard and is popular as ever

True. I honestly stopped following the music a long time ago. Not only did I find it extremely sexist, I found it to be extremely materialistic and shallow. I don't enjoy people singing about how great they are.

Public Enemy helped to shape my political views when I was very young. Most hip hop after that was ruined because it seemed so shallow. Still, I'll admit I was drawn into Dr. Dre and Snoop for a couple years because they did make great songs. It is too bad their message was absolute shit.

I can still put on Fear of a Black Planet now and feel overwhelmed by the power of the music and the message. If I listen to something by NWA, I mainly just feel disgusted.

True. I honestly stopped following the music a long time ago. Not only did I find it extremely sexist, I found it to be extremely materialistic and shallow. I don't enjoy people singing about how great they are.

Public Enemy helped to shape my political views when I was very young. Most hip hop after that was ruined because it seemed so shallow. Still, I'll admit I was drawn into Dr. Dre and Snoop for a couple years because they did make great songs. It is too bad their message was absolute shit.

I can still put on Fear of a Black Planet now and feel overwhelmed by the power of the music and the message. If I listen to something by NWA, I mainly just feel disgusted.

You realize there's a pretty wide variety of artist to listen to, right?

Ayt

Banned
You realize there's a pretty wide variety of artist to listen to, right?

Of course! But Public Enemy at the time was extremely popular on a national scale. Who is making politically conscious music with that kind of message and that kind of reach right now? Intelligent music was overwhelmed by NWA type garbage because it sold well to white america.

It was much cooler to hear about pimps, hoes, bitches and sluts than anything that actually made you think about racial disparity. Songs about gang warfare or even just black on black violence sold much better than someone trying to make an intelligent point about race relations at large. Plus drugs, drugs, and more drugs.

The whole gangsta rap movement was a giant step in the wrong direction.

The message went from "I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened and read it, it said they were suckers" to "Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks. Lick on these nuts and suck the dick."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5_6js19eM

How can anyone listen to this song and think something isn't missing right now in comparison?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Here goes... defending Gawker...

It's just like Gwaker to shit on a person just for the sake of doing it.

Fuck that site err company, whatever. They are terrible. Worse than TMZ

THAT is a bold claim.

What? It's opportunistic of Gwaker to go out and solicit Dee for an interview to speak on things already in the public record.

Didn't think it was hard to understand. And of course it's not in the movie, why would it be? Someone else brought up that he produced it. He's not going to put that in. But is that a reason to trudge up old news.

I dunno that's for GAF and Gawker to decide I guess.

This movie coming out that glamorises events means it is no longer old news. The article is about the discord between actual events and depicted events. The idea that someone severely assaulting people isn't a noteworthy event is fucking insane. It'd be like doing a documentary on the Titanic and never mentioning it crashed into an iceberg.

Wish this was not on Gawker so I could read it.

It's quite a good article. Maybe if people would read the good articles on Gawker, there wouldn't be as many shitty puff-pieces.

Not at all, but its no coincidence on the timing of Gawker fishing for clicks.

Exactly. It takes away from how serious the history is with dre, when its Gawker doing it solely for hits, after the movies out. Not to say that its not an important issue, but it would be different of Al Jazeera or someone was covering this, and not..

gawker..

I didn't know anything in the article prior to reading it, so I found it very informative and eye opening. But I agree the intent on the part of Gawker is probably disingenuous

Yes, Gawker is funded by advertising revenue. Those monsters.

Cipherr

Exactly. She isn't, though in the end it doesn't matter. I don't care who published story, or for what reasons. Getting the information out there is what is important, and if the means isn't hurting anybody...why not? It seems more crazy that people are offended by Gawker publishing this story than the act itself committed by Dre.

Thats not it, its just that people have known about the Dee barnes situation for close to, if not 10 years, and Gawker being opportunists douches is much more recent.

You are just seeing what you want to see.

In any case, its a few hours long and its not about Dre its about NWA. There's a shitstorm of personal life issues from the members left out of the movie.

commedieu

Banned
Yes, Gawker is funded by advertising revenue. Those monsters.

Excuse me. That wasn't my narrowed down and quick quoted point there mate. Gawker isn't a news agency, its a popup ad with troll titles and behavior professionally. I said that the message is valid, but Gawker has no intellectual integrity or journalistic to be taken seriously. Which is why i'd prefer a larger news outlet cover this, before the film was out.

Don't insult your and my intelligence. Don't just shrug it off with "herp derp advertising makes everything ok" No, Gawker has no integrity. Which makes the messenger suspect as in, its clearly just in the business of hits, and doesn't really have a statement or mission to make progress on the issue of domestic violence. Its an attempt to grab hits for ad revenue. Nothing productive. Thats not cool with me, which Is why I said what I said about gawker. But don't dwindle this down to a company making money off of ad revenue like you had some revelatory point.

Its a serious issue that deserves a conversation. Gawker isn't going to be the arbiter of that.

I don't see these types of movies as documentaries anyway.

But the fact that this type of shit is able to get left out of an adaptation of real events is annoying.

The Social Network, as a movie, pisses me off. It's a great script for a fictional situation.

Also: Jobs. What a whitewash.

daviyoung

Banned
I have a feeling Straight Outta Compton plays the 'struggle is real, all I got are my rhymes, oh I'm rich now' hip hop dream cliché really well. Not expecting anything deeper than that.

That lifestyle is still aspirational to a large number of paying movie-goers.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Excuse me. That wasn't my narrowed down and quick quoted point there mate. Gawker isn't a news agency, its a popup ad with troll titles and behavior professionally. I said that the message is valid, but Gawker has no intellectual integrity or journalistic to be taken seriously. Which is why i'd prefer a larger news outlet cover this, before the film was out.

Don't insult your and my intelligence. Don't just shrug it off with "herp derp advertising makes everything ok" No, Gawker has no integrity. Which makes the messenger suspect as in, its clearly just in the business of hits, and doesn't really have a statement or mission to make progress on the issue of domestic violence. Its an attempt to grab hits for ad revenue. Nothing productive. Thats not cool with me, which Is why I said what I said about gawker. But don't dwindle this down to a company making money off of ad revenue like you had some revelatory point.

Its a serious issue that deserves a conversation. Gawker isn't going to be the arbiter of that.

You say the article isn't productive, but did you read it?

You're calling Gawker sensationalist garbage, does that extend to the author? And why do you draw the line on releasing this article before the movie opened as opposed to after? What makes one more ethical than the other.

EGM1966

The producer of a sanitised biography doesn't fight to include mention of his less than acceptable past behaviour? Shocking.

Totally expected. I will be disappointed if it doesn't get correct mention in reporting media as the event in question remains relevant particularly with the release of such a tailored biography selling a particular message.

Oersted

This is nonsense, how else was she going to get her story heard? Talking to news station is "How to get your story heard 101".

Are you now controlling how victims shall talk about their suffering?

The producer of a sanitised biography doesn't fight to include mention of his less than acceptable past behaviour? Shocking.

Totally expected. I will be disappointed if it doesn't get correct mention in reporting media as the event in question remains relevant particularly with the release of such a tailored biography selling a particular message.

I do think you entirely missed the point and set up a strawman.

Of course! But Public Enemy at the time was extremely popular on a national scale. Who is making politically conscious music with that kind of message and that kind of reach right now?
Ummm Kanye West,Kendrick Lamar.....it's like the last 10 years of hip hop have passed you by.
You yourself admit you don't even follow the genre anymore so maybe refrain from making sweeping conclusions based on obsolete knowledge of the matter.

Dre has always been a piece of shit,but a piece of shit that made money. There was no way this movie wasn't gonna put him on a pedestal.

THRILLH0

Banned

So what?

She has to go through life watching the guy who stomped the shit out of her become a billionaire loved by countless fans. What is your problem with her trying to make some scratch off it?

You gonna take advice from somebody who slapped Dee Barnes?

Dre hasn't been relevant since the 90s, and his latest album is shit.

This first part is objectively incorrect unless you are just speaking about Dre as a rapper. His record company ended up having a bigger influence than Ruthless or Death Row. The last part is subjective, but you seem to be in the minority in this one. Funny I don't care much for it either, but I wouldn't call it shit.

Thats not it, its just that people have known about the Dee barnes situation for close to, if not 10 years, and Gawker being opportunists douches is much more recent.

10 years? I've know about Dee Barnes for over 20 years. Heck the Slim Shady LP came out 16 years ago, and it mentions Dee Barnes.

Didn't Dre publicly apologize for his domestic abuse, start (or support) a charity against violence toward women over the years, and has stopped abusing women since his N.W.A. days?

Troy

Banned

So what would you do if someone beat the career right out of you? Should she continue to hide away in obscurity as Dre intended her to do when he nearly killed her and then had her blackballed?

linsivvi

It's disgusting to see some people trying to paint a victim of assault as someone having an ulterior motive.

Yeah, she really wanted to be beat so she could sue for money and write a book about it.

That must be it.

I wanna throw up.

Didn't Dre publicly apologize for his domestic abuse, start (or support) a charity against violence toward women over the years, and has stopped abusing women since his N.W.A. days?

As far as I'm aware he never apologized. That recent interview where he said he regretted it was as far as he's ever come to apologizing. His actual reaction at the time when he was asked was "People talk all this shit, but you know, somebody fucks with me, I'm gonna fuck with them. I just did it, you know. Ain't nothing you can do now by talking about it. Besides, it ain't no big thing – I just threw her through a door."

He did a court ordered PSA against domestic violence but never started a charity.

His ex has accused him of abuse since then.

Serious question, are you gamergate supporter? You whining about ethics in calling yourself an MC is borderline gamergate behavior.

Troy

Banned
they paid someone who was assaulted to watch a movie all about the person who assaulted her

And she agreed to do it, which is a sign of her being in control of the situation. Good for her. People attempting to shift the spotlight from Dre's misogynistic and violent past to her and/or Gawker being opportunistic are just pathetic.

Stet

Banned
And she agreed to do it, which is a sign of her being in control of the situation. Good for her. People attempting to shift the spotlight from Dre's misogynistic and violent past to her and/or Gawker being opportunistic are just pathetic.

What are you saying? She shouldn't have been paid? That Gawker shouldn't have asked for her insight? I'm lost to whatever point you're trying to make.

The point is that Gawker did it looking for drama, which is just typical Gawker bullshit. That she took the money doesn't necessarily speak to her comfort level with watching the film, it speaks to the amount that she needs the money.

I understand that people are pissy about the use of the word "trigger" these days, but this is a situation where watching the film could absolutely have triggered someone who experienced a trauma.

This also doesn't take the focus off of Dre's actions, so don't use language about "spotlighting" anything. If Gawker wanted a story, they could have interviewed her and asked about the omission. Instead, they just sent her in hoping for a melt-down.

Troy

Banned
The point is that Gawker did it looking for drama, which is just typical Gawker bullshit. That she took the money doesn't necessarily speak to her comfort level with watching the film, it speaks to the amount that she needs the money.

I understand that people are pissy about the use of the word "trigger" these days, but this is a situation where watching the film could absolutely have triggered someone who experienced a trauma.

This also doesn't take the focus off of Dre's actions, so don't use language about "spotlighting" anything. If Gawker wanted a story, they could have interviewed her and asked about the omission. Instead, they just sent her in hoping for a melt-down.

Looking for drama? The Dee Barnes chapter of NWA/Dre's history was huge. It didn't just get glossed over by Dre in the movie. It got erased. Shining a light on that is "looking for drama"? So when you watch the news, do you just constantly think to yourself, "Well this is just a shameless attempt to garner some drama."?

Sanjuro

She could have left the screening or said no at any time. In a thread where people are calling her a whore, who are we to suggest her own comfort level?

Kinyou

Looking for drama? The Dee Barnes chapter of NWA/Dre's history was huge. It didn't just get glossed over by Dre in the movie. It got erased. Shining a light on that is "looking for drama"? So when you watch the news, do you just constantly think to yourself, "Well this is just a shameless attempt to garner some drama."?
There would have been ways to write a similar piece without putting her in a triggering situation.

You sound like you believe Gawker is some cartoon villain. I mean, I get not thinking respectfully of the company, but I honestly doubt they were hoping to trigger her and cause a meltdown. A more reasonable assumption is they knew the film left out something that, while yes, will generate clicks, and thus revenue, is important nonetheless. And that bit was Dee Barnes' story, and who better to tell that missing part than Dee Barnes herself? So they went to her, asked if she'd write about her feelings on it being left out, and she agreed.

Stet

Banned

You can shine a light on it without risking someone's mental health. You can shine a light on it by interviewing her. Gawker's strategy of sending someone into the movie blind is basically a click-bait article in the making: "We had Dee Barnes watch Straight Out of Compton...you won't believe what happened next!"

Again, bringing attention to a media outlet pulling yet another blatantly irresponsible stunt in an attempt to make the news instead of reporting on the news in no way draws attention from the Dre story.

You can find Dre's mistreatment of women disgusting and Gawker's mistreatment of news media distasteful all at the same time. We're not goldfish. We can focus on two things at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom