• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker: Here's what's missing from Straight Outta Compton - The women Dre beat up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

Banned
There would have been ways to write a similar piece without putting her in a triggering situation.

She was in full control of what happened to her. A courtesy not extended to her by Dre and his goons when he beat the shit out of her and they stood by and made sure no one could stop it.

You can shine a light on it without risking someone's mental health. You can shine a light on it by interviewing her. Gawker's strategy of sending someone into the movie blind is basically a click-bait article in the making: "We had Dee Barnes watch Straight Out of Compton...you won't believe what happened next!"

Again, bringing attention to a media outlet pulling yet another blatantly irresponsible stunt in an attempt to make the news instead of reporting on the news in no way draws attention from the Dre story.

You can find Dre's mistreatment of women disgusting and Gawker's mistreatment of news media distasteful all at the same time. We're not goldfish. We can focus on two things at once.
Risking her mental health? That's laughable. They asked her if she wanted to do it. She was open to it. If she feared for her mental health, she wouldn't have done it. Nothing about what Gawker did here is distasteful.

Dude Abides

Banned
You can shine a light on it without risking someone's mental health. You can shine a light on it by interviewing her. Gawker's strategy of sending someone into the movie blind is basically a click-bait article in the making: "We had Dee Barnes watch Straight Out of Compton...you won't believe what happened next!"

Again, bringing attention to a media outlet pulling yet another blatantly irresponsible stunt in an attempt to make the news instead of reporting on the news in no way draws attention from the Dre story.

You can find Dre's mistreatment of women disgusting and Gawker's mistreatment of news media distasteful all at the same time. We're not goldfish. We can focus on two things at once.

Yes, she was sent into the movie blind. No way she could have known that a movie called "Straight outta Compton" might involve a fictionalized Dr. Dre. And I'm sure she did not see any of the promos either that might have clued her in. Truly Gawker is playing dangerous games with Dee Barnes' mental health here.

Stet

Banned
She was in full control of what happened to her. A courtesy not extended to her by Dre and his goons when he beat the shit out of her and they stood by and made sure no one could stop it.

Risking her mental health? That's laughable. They asked her if she wanted to do it. She was open to it. If she feared for her mental health, she wouldn't have done it. Nothing about what Gawker did here is distasteful.

Yes, she was sent into the movie blind. No way she could have known that a movie called "Straight outta Compton" might involve a fictionalized Dr. Dre. And I'm sure she did not see any of the promos either that might have clued her in. Truly Gawker is playing dangerous games with Dee Barnes' mental health here.

By being sent in blind, I mean she had no idea if it would dramatize her assault or not. That much is obvious from her saying that she was surprised it wasn't even mentioned.

And yes, actually, saying they risked her mental health is apt, considering PTSD sufferers are very rarely in control when it comes to reliving their trauma.

Blind? Are you joking? I don't think you could find a person in America who doesn't know what the film was about. And regardless of whether it's click-bait it doesn't change the fact it's an important piece of history missing from the film. A piece we shouldn't forget as thousands idolize or make an icon of someone. Also I wouldn't expect Gawker, a blogging site, to be held to reporting standards. There job isn't to 'report the news'.

Troy

Banned
By being sent in blind, I mean she had no idea if it would dramatize her assault or not. That much is obvious from her saying that she was surprised it wasn't even mentioned.

And yes, actually, saying they risked her mental health is apt, considering PTSD sufferers are very rarely in control when it comes to reliving their trauma.

She chose to watch the movie knowing it might (she's smart enough to know that it was never going to be shown though. Dre was a producer) make her relive the horror. The thing is, she doesn't need a movie to trigger her to relive what he did to her. As she said, she has a constant reminder every time her old head injuries start to throb and cause her distress.

Dude Abides

Banned

So what? She knew it was a possibility and she's a grown woman who can make her own decisions. I realize we all hate Gawker, but the paternalism angle might be lamer than even dream's attempt to make her out to be a bad person.

Sanjuro

...are you her doctor?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
So Gawker paying forcing someone to watch a movie is as bad as a 6'2 man beating the shit out a 5'3 woman because it might have triggered her PTSD?

OK.

Kinyou

So what? She knew it was a possibility and she's a grown woman who can make her own decisions. I realize we all hate Gawker, but the paternalism angle might be lamer than even dream's attempt to make her out to be a bad person.
Yes, she's a grown woman, still means that someone can find it ugly from Gawker to pay a person who suffered abuse to watch a movie about the person who abused her.

So Gawker paying forcing someone to watch a movie is as bad as a 6'2 man beating the shit out a 5'3 woman because it might have triggered her PTSD?

OK.
Who has said that these things are just as bad?

It does sound like that the entire thing with Dee Barns, was a longer saga, and I can see why that would, from a story and narrative purpose would have been cluttered to have been included in the script. When you are writing, you are cutting things constantly. No great film didn't have a tons of darlings cut out. Movies that don't do that have disastrous pacing.

Secondly, one has to understand, and this is one of the paradoxical problems of biopic films- Stories on film are not real life. Rarely does a real life story, translate 100% well into a 3 act 1-3 hour story for film, with all the appropriately addressed pacing, character development, unfolding just so you it will be great for entertainment.

So you always have a conflict of interest when your trying to sell something under the guise of "based on true events". It's always open to interpretation. - And you really have to question (I haven't seen the film yet, BTW) when someone makes a biopic about themselves to tout their own horn.
I think movies like Walk the Line and Ray, benefited from being made after Johnny Cash and Ray Charles had died. It made it easier to show their grotesque and dark sides.

So I am conflicted about this. It's entirely possible that the film could have worked with a short scene of Dre beating the shit out of this woman, or it could have been used as a plot device, or even be a part of a montage, but it is also possible that it simply didn't make the cut. It's hard to say. I've heard someone else say that the film really paints Dre in a positive light, and if that is the case (he was a gang banger after all) that doesn't bode well for the objective authenticity of the film. But again, as we established before- The conflict of interest is a major red flag.

Sanjuro

So I am conflicted about this. It's entirely possible that the film could have worked with a short scene of Dre beating the shit out of this woman, or it could have been used as a plot device, or even be a part of a montage, but it is also possible that it simply didn't make the cut. It's hard to say. I've heard someone else say that the film really paints Dre in a positive light, and if that is the case (he was a gang banger after all) that doesn't bode well for the objective authenticity of the film. But again, as we established before- The conflict of interest is a major red flag.

Dr. Dre is the Mr. Rogers of the film.

sangreal

I actually thought this was a pretty interesting article. It's much more than a complaint about painting Dre in a positive light. Actually her conclusion is that it does a disservice to NWAs history by diluting what gave them their reputation

Also I didn't know the directors involvement in the feud that led to Dre attacking Barnes

I haven't seen Straight Outta Compton, but I'll speak generally on movies and biopics.

Movies can be truthful without being entirely true.

Jake LaMotta wasn't exactly like Raging Bull, and with Scorsese's editing and sound mixing, it manipulates the audience greatly. Lawrence of Arabia excise a lot of stuff about history and the man. Amadeus is a complete fabrication and a supposed smear job on Salieri. Quiz Show has to invent things for narrative purposes. The Social Network misses a great deal of interesting and provocative details on the creation of Facebook and Zuckerberg himself. And, so on.

Movies aren't fact, nor should they be, and that extends to documentaries. I know it isn't considered his best, but Errol Morris touches upon his in Standard Operating Procedure, about how a single photograph is a snap judgement and moment in time that isn't necessarily reflective of the truth. Heck, his "masterpiece" documentary that freed an innocent man from jail (The Thin Blue Line) was controversial because critics and fellow documentarians objected to his use of reenactments. Joshua Oppenheimer's The Act of Killing was criticized as well.

Movies are snapshots, abridged recollections and reframings and recreations of moments. Even something as long as Lanzmann's Shoah isn't the end-all-be-all of the Holocaust on film.

What this article does is at least remind people that there's more to a story than what is shown on screen, and if that reminds people of this simple basic fact, that's good. But it isn't film criticism, and shouldn't be taken as such.

Quoted for emphasis. I like this post.

People like Dre. They like what's he's done for music and how he's done financially. They don't care about the missing gaps.

Him producing the NWA Biopic was of course going to emphasize certain details over others. It's just part of the business.

Sanjuro

...because they're the ones who wanted the story. I wouldn't gamble on it. They evidently would. I find that distasteful.

Gamble on what? Can't live life guarding yourself from the complexity of another human being. She agreed to do the piece. I'm not sure what other moral obligations would be required beyond asking.

Yes, she's a grown woman, still means that someone can find it ugly from Gawker to pay a person who suffered abuse to watch a movie about the person who abused her.

They offered her the opportunity to share her story, one which was missing from a film depicting someone who was part of that story and who she had a defining encounter with. Why do you care if Gawker paid her to share that? Would you rather she done it for free? Or rather she just get her story out but not link it to a relevant movie so that it may become overlooked by the masses?

Stet

Banned
Gamble on what? Can't live life guarding yourself from the complexity of another human being. She agreed to do the piece. I'm not sure what other moral obligations would be required beyond asking.

This isn't about living life, Sanjuro. It's about the press. Quit trying to make it seem like Gawker shouldn't have to abide by the same rules as actual journalists because they're "just Gawker." They have just as much readership, and thus just as much responsibility, as any other outlet.

Dude Abides

Banned

She was paid to write a piece. That's how magazines work. There's nothing ugly about soliciting the views of someone familiar with the seamy side of a biopic subject. Puzzling that you think of her as some delicate flower who must be insulated from exposure to (fictional) Dr. Dre.

Siegcram

I don't understand this. She willingly agreed to do the piece. Obviously she felt she was up to it.

This wasn't a Clockwork Orange situation, she could've left at any time during the screening.

Oersted

This is some of the most farfetched and out of nowhere claims I read in a while. But hey, atleast you acknowledge the abuse he committed with 5 words.

Sanjuro

This isn't about living life, Sanjuro. It's about the press. Quit trying to make it seem like Gawker shouldn't have to abide by the same rules as actual journalists because they're "just Gawker." They have just as much readership, and thus just as much responsibility, as any other outlet.

Well, if it's only about the press, then Gawker didn't do anything that any other outlet wouldn't have done. If she was scheduled for a piece on the film for, let's say CNN. Without a doubt a staffer would prompt her if she has seen the film, and if so would she be willing to see it prior to the interview.

She is clearly intelligent and stable enough to dismiss the film for what it is, while members of NWA are yelling in all caps about their portrayal in the film. That speaks loud enough for me.

Stet

Banned
Well, if it's only about the press, then Gawker didn't do anything that any other outlet wouldn't have done. If she was scheduled for a piece on the film for, let's say CNN. Without a doubt a staffer would prompt her if she has seen the film, and if so would she be willing to see it prior to the interview.

She is clearly intelligent and stable enough to dismiss the film for what it is, while members of NWA are yelling in all caps about their portrayal in the film. That speaks loud enough for me.

"Without a doubt"

Sure thing, Sanjuro.

Sanjuro

"Without a doubt"

Sure thing, Sanjuro.

...you believe that a major news outlet, which schedules an interview with Dee Barnes, in direct correlation of the Straight Outta Compton theatrical release and response, would not prompt her with questions related to the film prior to this interview?

I'm not sure what to tell you if you believe otherwise.

karobit

If she had not seen the film, this back and forth wouldn't be about how Gawker potentially triggered her but about how she's criticizing a film she hasn't seen.

Honestly, Gawker shouldn't even be in the GAF topic. They didn't write the piece. Dee Barnes did.

Stet

Banned
...you believe that a major news outlet, which schedules an interview with Dee Barnes, in direct correlation of the Straight Outta Compton theatrical release and response, would not prompt her with questions related to the film prior to this interview?

I'm not sure what to tell you if you believe otherwise.

I don't believe a major news outlet would run a story about her opinion of a film beyond the question, "how do you feel knowing that the abusive relationship between you and Dr. Dre is absent from the film?"

Sanjuro

I don't believe a major news outlet would run a story about her opinion of a film beyond the question, "how do you feel knowing that the abusive relationship between you and Dr. Dre is absent from the film?"

It's in print. So, the story as a whole are her complete thoughts on the entire issue. I think they are well thought out. If it were CNN/FOX/CNBC, it would be done likely as a segment piece on some network. Those questions, and others, would be prompted before getting her to sit down. It would cover that, and probably other mundane questions.

Kinyou

They offered her the opportunity to share her story, one which was missing from a film depicting someone who was part of that story and who she had a defining encounter with. Why do you care if Gawker paid her to share that? Would you rather she done it for free? Or rather she just get her story out but not link it to a relevant movie so that it may become overlooked by the masses?

She was paid to write a piece. That's how magazines work. There's nothing ugly about soliciting the views of someone familiar with the seamy side of a biopic subject. Puzzling that you think of her as some delicate flower who must be insulated from exposure to (fictional) Dr. Dre.
How did you come to the conclusion that my issue was that she gets to share the story?
The point is that she didn't have to watch the movie. Something she apparently hadn't planned on or else they wouldn't have had to pay her for that.

Stet

Banned
You have no point. Not even a bit of one. It's actually hugely patronising that you think you know more about Dee Barnes's mental health than she does herself. Pipe down.

Who said anything about what she knows about her own mental health? Are you insane?

As someone who actually had PTSD, this current movement of coddling people who have PTSD (and those who just reeeeerally want it for some fucked up attention getting motivation) by limiting what they see for fear they maybe, just maybe, might be "triggered", is far more mentally damaging than that person making up their own mind to witness it and work through it. If someone makes the decision to relive an experience, nobody else has the right to question that decision because they fear their "mental health", no matter how strongly they feel they need to act the protector.

Working through issues by reliving them in many ways builds emotional strength, which in turn allows people to heal. On the flipside the need to protect people from maybe having some bad feelings and sheltering them in safe places does little nothing to help, but in fact reenforces the inability to deal with the real world around them and keeps them "broken things".

Tl;dr - You're off base and injecting yourself as the advocate for someone who can advocate for herself.

Stet

Banned
As someone who actually had PTSD, this current movement to coddling people who have PTSD (and those who just reeeeerally want it for some fucked up attention getting motivation) by limiting what they see for fear they maybe, just maybe, might be "triggered", is far more mentally damaging than that person making up their own mind to witness it and work through it. If someone makes the decision to relive an experience, nobody else has the right to question that decision because they fear their "mental health", no matter how strongly they feel they need protection.

Working through issues by reliving them in many ways builds emotional strength, which in turn allows people to heal. On the flipside the need to protecting people from maybe having some bad feelings by sheltering them in safe places does little nothing to help, but in fact reenforces the inability to deal with the real world around them and keeps them "broken things".

Tl;dr - You're off base and injecting yourself as the advocate for someone who can advocate for herself.

As someone who lives with someone who has severe PTSD, I have a seriously different experience.

Stet

Banned
It's almost as if this sort of thing affects everyone differently and people shouldn't diagnose others from behind their computers.

It's almost as if wanting Gawker to exercise more caution isn't negatively affecting Dee Barnes in any way whatsoever.

Sane_Man

Who said anything about what she knows about her own mental health? Are you insane?

She chose to be interviewed and chose to watch the movie. Your lame argument is that this should never occurred. I'm scratching my head as to how you can rationalise this without assuming you know her better than she knows herself.

Stet

Banned
She chose to be interviewed and chose to watch the movie. Your lame argument is that this should never occurred. I'm scratching my head as to how you can rationalise this without assuming you know her better than she knows herself.

My argument is that Gawker chose the single least responsible way of reporting on a situation that needed to be reported on.

This can exist at the same time as that situation is reported on.

Jesus Christ, all of you.

As someone who lives with someone who has severe PTSD, I have a seriously different experience.

I can't and won't speak to the experience of the person you live with. I will say that when they are ready to heal and work past it they need to choose and control their exposure, not a single other person. They don't need a protector before, they need support after.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
My argument is that Gawker chose the single least responsible way of reporting on a situation that needed to be reported on.

Gawker didn't even report on the situation. They asked Dee Barnes to write an article. She said yes. That is literally all that happened.

Dude Abides

Banned
How did you come to the conclusion that my issue was that she gets to share the story?
The point is that she didn't have to watch the movie. Something she apparently hadn't planned on or else they wouldn't have had to pay her for that.

They didn't pay her just to watch the movie. They paid her to watch it and provide her opinion on it. It's mystifying why completely uninvolved people feel the need to protect her from something she agreed to.

Unless that someone is Dee Barnes your experience is worthless.

Sane_Man

Your logic would also prohibit domestic abuse victims from writing a book about their experiences. The publisher is a jerk for encouraging the victim to re-tell the events because this could shock this poor, weak person into a devastating PTSD attack (as they obviously can't even begin to comprehend their own fragile mental limits).

Dee Barnes was approached by Gawker to write this article and she agreed to it. Your outrage is mystifying and borderline offensive and as you desperately scratch around for a point, the only thing you're unearthing is your own ignorance.

They didn't pay her just to watch the movie. They paid her to watch it and provide her opinion on it. It's mystifying why completely uninvolved people feel the need to protect her from something she agreed to.

Unless that someone is Dee Barnes your experience is worthless.

How else can you prove how progressive you are unless you limit the agency of individuals. Broken things need great protectors of triggers and can't possibly know what is best for them.

Stet

Banned
Your logic would also prohibit domestic abuse victims from writing a book about their experiences. The publisher is a jerk for encouraging the victim to re-tell the events because this could shock this poor, weak person into a devastating PTSD attack (as they obviously can't even begin to comprehend their own fragile mental limits).

Dee Barnes was approached by Gawker to write this article and she agreed to it. Your outrage is mystifying and borderline offensive and as you desperately scratch around for a point, the only thing you're unearthing is your own ignorance.

Boy, outrage culture is getting really out of hand here.

How else can you prove how progessive you are unless you limit the agency of individuals. Broken things need great protectors of triggers and can't possibly know what is best for them.

This has nothing to do with being progressive. It has always been about the fact that I would love for Gawker to take more responsibility for how they approach "story" ideas. This is evidently very offensive to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom