• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War E-Day Has Been Announced!

Perrott

Who the hell is Jamir Blanco? And unless they work at Blur or know someone who worked there on this presentation. I wouldnt put too much stock in what they say. The video said "In Engine" not realtime. Devs dont skip the opportunity to say realtime when its realtime.
Blizzard artist and resentful Xbox fanboy it seems

GymWolf

Gold Member
Trolling?, been playing gears since gow1, played every release. Most people who are fans of the franchise want them to go back to its roots (gears 1-3) . New gears Story is boring and cannot hold a candle to 1-3, atmosphere and gameplay doesn’t feel the same, just not enough slow horror vibes and they feel to clean (gears 3 was peak). I don’t see how you can dunk on old gears while it was superior in every way and setup the modern takes. Only thing I would say is one’s gameplay may be a bit dated these days but was generation defining when released.
Gears 3 was already way more colorful and shiny than gears1, that one was the real king of the horror atmosphere for a gears game and still my favourite game in the saga.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just a big movie, but at least it’s not continuing after the awful Gears 4&5.

Just bring something new to the table please. The same old walking/shooting gets boring real fast no matter how pretty it looks.

I've only one question - Why the fuck?:messenger_face_steam:

So you started the new storyline, new characters and character arcs, changed the old formula, shacked up gameplay, gunplay and combat encounters to make it all far better and for what? To not finish the work you've done and go back to the ancient design of the old trilogy and much less likable characters with huge shoulders, square chins, cover based and boring gameplay in concrete jungles.... AGAIN? JFC. NO!

I don't like any of the characters in original trilogy and not a fan of boring af cover based gameplay, boring combat encounters in concrete jungles when you most of the time sitting under cover. Who asked for this? I mean, we haven't seen the gameplay but I can't imagine it'll be any different from the first trilogy, not to mention level / combat design and encounters. Gears 4 was shit, I forced mysref to finish the game just to see the story. Gears 5 was the best Gears game I've played with much more likable characters and even much better Marcus.

Goddamnit. FUCK!

giphy.gif

Gears of War was a fucking masterpiece, I played that game everyday for about 3 years with the same group of people, completed the campaign in co-op more times than I've completed any other game, it might not have been the best or most deep story, but the gameplay was perfection.

The likes dislikes ratio is crazy.

I've only one question - Why the fuck?:messenger_face_steam:

So you started the new storyline, new characters and character arcs, changed the old formula, shacked up gameplay, gunplay and combat encounters to make it all far better and for what? To not finish the work you've done and go back to the ancient design of the old trilogy and much less likable characters with huge shoulders, square chins, cover based and boring gameplay in concrete jungles.... AGAIN? JFC. NO!

I don't like any of the characters in original trilogy and not a fan of boring af cover based gameplay, boring combat encounters in concrete jungles when you most of the time sitting under cover. Who asked for this? I mean, we haven't seen the gameplay but I can't imagine it'll be any different from the first trilogy, not to mention level / combat design and encounters. Gears 4 was shit, I forced mysref to finish the game just to see the story. Gears 5 was the best Gears game I've played with much more likable characters and even much better Marcus.

Goddamnit. FUCK!

giphy.gif
Well I think they just don't know how to proceed with Gears 5 ending. Plus new character did not land over the course of the games and fan favourite is still the original one.

So they made the right decision - go back before first game.

Why does it say in engine footage?
"In Engine" is not the same as actually running in real time on retail production hardware

You will often see game trailers for Sony games that actually say "Running in real time on PS5"

That said, the visual quality of that trailer wasn't super good or anything, it seems perfectly plausible the game could look like that on current gen customers

Last edited:

samoilaaa

this looks too good to be true , whats the catch ? does one of the main characters come out as gay/trans ? just a joke but you can understand where im coming from

Anyway its looks like a manly game as a GOW game should be

Looks like the real Gears is finally back. Somehow, I still wish they get CliffyB and Lee Perry as consultants on board. Just for the sake of nostalgia. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Reactions: KU_

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Fuck CGI trailers, for real... and where is the gears collection rework.
I didn't think Gears graphics were really even that insane in this trailer. Looks good, and certainly within the realm of what's possible for Coalition on Unreal 5. It will probably exceed this trailer by a huge, huge amount. The trailer mostly worked well because of the content and the struggle. The graphics showcase hasn't really even happened yet.

splattered

Gears 4 and 5 were decent games but not really the direction fans wanted... I'm wondering how TC fixes the story for gears 6? They really painted themselves into a bleak corner with #5 story wise.

If E-Day explodes and is hugely successful how do they go back to the more colorful semi open world from #5 and finish out that story and continue the same success they just found again but with a group of characters fans never really grew attached to in the later sequels?

They are going to have a massive hit on their hands with this prequel but the actual sequel will probably far more challenging to pull off.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Gears 4 and 5 were decent games but not really the direction fans wanted... I'm wondering how TC fixes the story for gears 6? They really painted themselves into a bleak corner with #5 story wise.

If E-Day explodes and is hugely successful how do they go back to the more colorful semi open world from #5 and finish out that story and continue the same success they just found again but with a group of characters fans never really grew attached to in the later sequels?

They are going to have a massive hit on their hands with this prequel but the actual sequel will probably far more challenging to pull off.

Honestly? And this is presuming E-Day is actually a big hit and a return to form for the series. Just finish the 4 and 5 story with a novel. Fuck it. I really don't think the majority of fans would care. Ask them if they would rather wait 5 years for them to develop Gears 6 and then another 5 years to develop the sequel to E-Day, or if they'd rather just focus on the Prequel series instead.

StueyDuck

Blizzard artist and resentful Xbox fanboy it seems

Gosh the gaming Industry is so full of itself.

All these hyper opinionated whiny people who seem to spend more time shouting at people on Twitter than doing there jobs...

You just don't see that much in any other industry really. At least not to the degree as is in gaming.

Like just do your work, that's all a company needs from you.

Kssio_Aug

I didn't think Gears graphics were really even that insane in this trailer. Looks good, and certainly within the realm of what's possible for Coalition on Unreal 5. It will probably exceed this trailer by a huge, huge amount. The trailer mostly worked well because of the content and the struggle. The graphics showcase hasn't really even happened yet.
I agree, I think it looks amazing, but specially because of the atmosphere and music. After Hellblade 2 I know they can do it.

I expect to be way more impressed with it later though, when we see some gameplay and crazy action. I expect this to be one of the most impressive Xbox games this generation.

CGNoire

Yes, in-engine, using its assets, not pre/off on a PC somewhere. That trailer quality was entirely achievable in-game on current gen Xbox hardware.

I fully agree its acheivable but for all we know it could be using UE5 pathtracer and take up to an hour to render each frame. The lighting and special effects are the things I feel are most likely to.see a downgrade. I doubt blowing off a Locusts head will have gore that nuanced. Everything else asset wise im not worried about. Those effects to me seem like they where Blur authored. We will see.

Punished Miku

I fully agree its acheivable but for all we know it could be using UE5 pathtracer and take up to an hour to render each frame. The lighting and special effects are the things I feel are most likely to.see a downgrade. I doubt blowing off a Locusts head will have gore that nuanced. Everything else asset wise im not worried about. Those effects to me seem like they where Blur authored. We will see.

"Over 100x more environment and character details than Gears 5", hardware raytraced lighting, reflections and shadows, next generation destruction and gore, and cutting-edge animation technology"

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Nothing looked unachievale in realtime. It’s just a carefully captured scene using assets/styles I fully expect in the final game.

That said, sure, we’ll have a better idea with some gameplay!

Drew1440

Nice to see gears go back to it's roots, hopefully it will be well written and not a cringe fest like 5 was.
Honestly? And this is presuming E-Day is actually a big hit and a return to form for the series. Just finish the 4 and 5 story with a novel. Fuck it. I really don't think the majority of fans would care. Ask them if they would rather wait 5 years for them to develop Gears 6 and then another 5 years to develop the sequel to E-Day, or if they'd rather just focus on the Prequel series instead.
I wouldn't blame them if they just dropped the second trilogy, and have a new prequel trilogy. Interesting to see where would Judgement fit in.

CGNoire

Nothing looked unachievale in realtime. It’s just a carefully captured scene using assets/styles I fully expect in the final game.

That said, sure, we’ll have a better idea with some gameplay!
I meant the animation of the gore not the rendering quality. Its animation is clearly bespoke and would require realtime fluid sim to match that quality while interactive in game. Maybe they baked out a shit ton animation for a large multitude of situations and Im wrong. I hope I am.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I meant the animation of the gore not the rendering quality. Its animation is clearly bespoke and would require realtime fluid sim to match that quality while interactive in game. Maybe they baked out a shit ton animation for a large multitude of situations and Im wrong. I hope I am.
In most cases, I’d agree with you. However, The Coalition is, in my eyes, Microsoft’s premier showcase team. If anyone has the chops to do it, it’s them!

Either way, the gameplay reveal should be quite the spectacle!

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
So they made the right decision - go back before first game.
They made wrong and cowardly decisions by not finishing what they started. Gears 5 was miles better than 4, I played them one after another in order and good lord they improved A LOT! I honestly can't comprehend why people don't like Kait so much, she's one of the best characters in the whole IP along with just as good Marcus in 5, Kait's story arc and storyline is also much better than what was in the past Gears games before 4.

Why on earth do people love huge and stupid military dudes with gigantic shoulders and square chins so much instead of actually good characters? I just don't fuckin' get it, they're boring af and completely unlikable, not to mention that there's not even any kind of emotional connection.
Gears of War was a fucking masterpiece, I played that game everyday for about 3 years with the same group of people, completed the campaign in co-op more times than I've completed any other game, it might not have been the best or most deep story, but the gameplay was perfection.
The first game is a total and repetitive borefest and the 4th one is exactly like it in terms of design and gameplay. It looked great back when it came out but I can't say anything else positive about it. I've played it and finished it in case someone wondering.

Doesn’t sound like you’re a gears fan…
I'm not a fan of any Gears game before 5. 5 is the best one in the whole franchise and I love it to death, even though it's not perfect in terms of UE4 design limitations.

OG gears was about tactical pacing and position. Not boring COD run and gun bs.
What a joke. Previous Gears games were boring af cover based shooters in terms of core desing with terrible story and unlikable characters. Gears 5 improved a lot in almost every aspect and made Gears a lot more fun to play with more option in combat etc.

Last edited:

Montauk

I thought the appeal to empty nostalgia was pretty tragic, I’m very very tired of that sort of marketing.

I couldn’t get into the last two Gears games, so here’s hoping they can actually make a great game here.

Personally I don’t think it’s a good sign for Xbox as a platform and brand that fans put this much weight into the nth Gears of War sequel, and I say that as a fan of the original 3 games.

splattered

They made wrong and cowardly decisions by not finishing what they started. Gears 5 was miles better than 4, I played them one after another in order and good lord they improved A LOT! I honestly can't comprehend why people don't like Kait so much, she's one of the best characters in the whole IP along with just as good Marcus in 5, Kait's story arc and storyline is also much better than what was in the past Gears games before 4.

Why on earth do people love huge and stupid military dudes with gigantic shoulders and square chins so much instead of actually good characters? I just don't fuckin' get it, they're boring af and completely unlikable, not to mention that there's not even any kind of emotional connection.

The first game is a total and repetitive borefest and the 4th one is exactly like it in terms of design and gameplay. It looked great back when it came out but I can't say anything else positive about it. I've played it and finished it in case someone wondering.

I'm not a fan of any Gears game before 5. 5 is the best one in the whole franchise and I love it to death, even though it's not perfect in terms of UE4 design limitations.

What a joke. Previous Gears games were boring af cover based shooters in terms of core desing with terrible story and unlikable characters. Gears 5 improved a lot in almost every aspect and made Gears a lot more fun to play with more option in combat etc.

I liked the characters in 4 and 5 though generally it feels like other fans for whatever reason did not, i just felt the open world stuff was too half baked like they weren't willing to fully commit to open world and then the ending was AWFUL. The ending is the real problem they will be facing if they do decide to ever go back and make #6 in the series.

FeralEcho

Boys are back. Now no more Billie Eilish trailers to pander to a crowd that never even liked gears.
It always seemed insane to me that the literal dudebro game that defined the 360 generation was the series Microsoft was like....yeah I think a woman lead is what's needed for the next installment.

lucious lyon wtf GIF

Punished Miku

I liked the characters in 4 and 5 though generally it feels like other fans for whatever reason did not, i just felt the open world stuff was too half baked like they weren't willing to fully commit to open world and then the ending was AWFUL. The ending is the real problem they will be facing if they do decide to ever go back and make #6 in the series.
I think people were basically blinded by anger during that entire time period. Anything Xbox One at all was shit no matter what. I wouldn't be surprised at all if people are more forgiving if they try it out again.

I'm only on Gears 4, chapter 2 right now though so if it takes a sudden nosedive I'll admit it. So far it's great though. I can't imagine people wanted the exact same thing for a 5th game. Judgment was not fondly received at the time for this reason. Really similar situation to God of War Ascension at that time. And they rebooted for the same reason.

Last edited:

Z O N E

Who the hell is Jamir Blanco? And unless they work at Blur or know someone who worked there on this presentation. I wouldnt put too much stock in what they say. The video said "In Engine" not realtime. Devs dont skip the opportunity to say realtime when its realtime.

This is kind of a bit of fluffery.

Sure it was rendered in "real-time" most likely on a machine designed for offline rendering for major blockbuster movies. Then there's the added notion of calling it real-time when technically we are just seeing a video anyway. so what exactly is real-time, just because it was running on an engine when they hit record doesn't mean it's indicative of a video game.

To be clear I don't care that Blur made the trailer, nor that they are open about it. But that tweet acting like "No AKSHUALLY" is a bit silly. Just semantically alone it's not real-time what we are seeing anyway. I understand CG is a hot-button topic but at the end of the day, we didn't see an Xbox playing a game.

I think the issue is, why bring up whether it's in-engine, real time, CGI or whatever in the first place.

It's like a sly shot towards the developers.

He could've said the 2nd paragraph and that would've been fine.

March Climber

Gold Member
▪️Design team prioritized redefining the Locust Drone, which had become simple fodder as the series progressed, into "something fearsome, physically intimidating, and utterly brutal"

▪️The fear of encountering the Locust for the first time is central to the game (desperation as Marcus fights a Drone for the first time)
This part sounds like when Capcom amped up the zombies in Resident Evil 2 Remake because they were newly turned and not fodder enemies to perform action moves on, like in the later games and movies.

Hopefully the Gears team strikes the perfect balance with this.

StueyDuck

I think the issue is, why bring up whether it's in-engine, real time, CGI or whatever in the first place.

It's like a sly shot towards the developers.

He could've said the 2nd paragraph and that would've been fine.
It's true it didn't need to be said.

But it also was said and it was true 🤷‍♂️ if it was a lie I'd get the outrage.

Top Bottom