• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Patch notes for tomorrow's update are out - theres lots of words and explanations at the link I just took the main points

Fixes said:
  • Kills in Social playlists now also count towards the ‘Seriously’ achievement
  • Improvements to Boomshot hit registration
  • Addressed some matchmaking issues that caused long wait times
  • Improvements to hit registration on downed enemies (sponging)
  • Small improvements to the Left Trigger Issue
  • Fixed hit detection when shooting an enemy in cover against the top pillars on Clocktower
  • Removed POI on Right Stick for Alternate Control Scheme
  • Bug fixes and general improvements

Playlists said:
  • Increased Execution XP to better match the gain in other modes
  • Moved Blitz from Competitive to Social
  • Added a new Competitive TDM playlist
  • Returned Warzone as a permanent playlist
  • Returned Assassination as a playlist for a limited time

Ballistik

This is how you make people rage quit haha

giphy.gif

what are the population numbers like? playing gears 3 today and game is still awesome but only 1/2 games koth games in europe so im thinking i might as well just buy this

how bad are we talking? is it still easy to play koth games in uk? thats the only mode i really play

Ive never had any issues playing in Europe except a few times in the middle of the night. When I play with a friend in the US we always play with me as host because searching on his through US Azure servers never used to find us a match

Ive never had any issues playing in Europe except a few times in the middle of the night. When I play with a friend in the US we always play with me as host because searching on his through US Azure servers never used to find us a match

Maybe I've only tried to find matches at night, I don't really recall exactly

how bad are we talking? is it still easy to play koth games in uk? thats the only mode i really play
I play on EU servers and only play KOTH. We never have issues getting games really, outside of midnight hours of course.

Always better to play with a team. But of course Gears is a team based shooter so you already know that ;)

Just thought I'd bump this thread to repeat what I said in the Gears of War forums.

I've been playing Gears of War for a decade and I can honestly say I've never experienced such rampant sponging. It's every single game.

I started playing earlier this week after a massive break in an attempt to get to level 100 and simply put, it is horrendous. As a long time player I am despondent.

And don't even get me started on inconsistent damage output.

Fair teams with equally skilled players? No chance.

CrewShadow

Has the netcode come to complete trash? I see nothing but teleporting people. Even I'm teleporting myself . Stand still then get launched forward 5 through 10 feet forward.

pizzacat

Banned
Just thought I'd bump this thread to repeat what I said in the Gears of War forums.

I've been playing Gears of War for a decade and I can honestly say I've never experienced such rampant sponging. It's every single game.

I started playing earlier this week after a massive break in an attempt to get to level 100 and simply put, it is horrendous. As a long time player I am despondent.

And don't even get me started on inconsistent damage output.

Fair teams with equally skilled players? No chance.
Most of my KOTH games end with me getting 90+ kills but still taking the L, I rather get shat on in 3 with the input lag and sometimes have a good match than play UE at this point

Has the netcode come to complete trash? I see nothing but teleporting people. Even I'm teleporting myself . Stand still then get launched forward 5 through 10 feet forward.

Yesterday the servers went down so that might have something to do with it. I experienced laggy movement for the rest of the day once they came back and it's usually fine for me.

I also had a bit of rollback where I'd shoot a boomshot only for nothing to happen for a few seconds before it caught up.

Most of my KOTH games end with me getting 90+ kills but still taking the L, I rather get shat on in 3 with the input lag and sometimes have a good match than play UE at this point

I played through chunks of Gears of War 2 and 3 yesterday while I was waiting for UE matchmaking to start working and it made me realise just how much I miss from those games.

UE is bad at the moment but I've already put so much time in I've got to finish the crusade. Last week I started at level 58 and I am now at 76 so progress has been fairly swift (even though I've had to play a lot).

The level of player is high now, so you've got to play well too.

The real issue is I played this game a decade ago and while they've done a lot to help modernise it, it is still very much Gears of War - warts and all.

I've played it for hundreds of hours already and, in my opinion, most of the maps are garbage.

Just got to suck it up. I'll take a break next month when the Gears 4 beta comes around.

pizzacat

Banned
I still love gears 1 but idk I'm questioning the point of the remake now. They really kept a LOT of it the same

To the point that the cowboy glitch still happens if you switch weapons during a weapon slide, to the weapon slide still being here, to the point that rolling away from a proximity weapon still gets you kill because of how the first gears deals with a players location when they roll.

If the last doesn't make sense, imagine trying to detonate a planted frag in 3 from frags in blood drive and you roll away from the doorway but you still get killed because your last placement before the roll was next to the frag

I still love gears 1 but idk I'm questioning the point of the remake now. They really kept a LOT of it the same

To the point that the cowboy glitch still happens if you switch weapons during a weapon slide, to the weapon slide still being here, to the point that rolling away from a proximity weapon still gets you kill because of how the first gears deals with a players location when they roll.

If the last doesn't make sense, imagine trying to detonate a planted frag in 3 from frags in blood drive and you roll away from the doorway but you still get killed because your last placement before the roll was next to the frag

Gears of War 3 had broken hit boxes too and had a similar issue with rolling and player location. Incendiaries and ink grenades made it painfully obvious.

Not to mention the Savage Kantus shenanigans (why they brought him back for UE I have no idea).

But I completely agree. It's Gears of War to a fault which is both a good and bad thing.

pizzacat

Banned
I feel like hitboxes are pretty okay in UE but it still has a sponging issue, if that makes sense. I can't blame a certain character for sponging but I feel more times than not a person with a worse connection than mine can eat a lot

Arjen

Only problem I have with UE is the matchmaking. The skill level for me is usually to high. Especially hard because I'm running solo most of the time. But hey it forces me to get better and learn.

HiiiLife

Was thinking about selling my PS4 for a X1 bundles but this thread makes me feel like I'd be waiting more than playing. I already do enough of that in R6 Siege on PS4 lol.

Was thinking about selling my PS4 for a X1 bundles but this thread makes me feel like I'd be waiting more than playing. I already do enough of that in R6 Siege on PS4 lol.

Its only occasional I have long matchmaking times on this and when they are its usually because its 1am+ in Europe when not many people are on, generally I can find a game without many problems

HiiiLife

Its only occasional I have long matchmaking times on this and when they are its usually because its 1am+ in Europe when not many people are on, generally I can find a game without many problems

Cool. I hope the US has had better luck. I usually wait damn near 10 minutes to play ranked matches on Siege.

Finally re-upped. Thank god I can finally stop playing this nonsense.

Ultimate Edition is the worst Gears of War experience I've ever had and makes we want to skip any future games.

The Gears of War 4 beta is make or break for me.

lolwut

Explain please

I explained my issues with the game a little earlier on this page but suffice to say, sponging, unfair lag compensation and poor matchmaking have all resulted in the worst Gears of War experience I've ever had.

And I've been here since day one in 2006.

I'd also mention wonky hit registration but I'm sure it's all linked to connection issues.

I'll cut The Coalition a little slack - this game was inconsistent at the best times a decade ago, so there's only so much you can do. But if Gears of War 4 is dogged by the same issues I'm not sure I've got the heart to put up with it.

I played the original for two years, reached level 100 in Gears of War 2, level 400 in Gears of War 3 and have all the re-up achievements in both Judgment and UE - all have issues but I'm not sure I'm willing to write off the inconsistencies anymore.

Playing UE over the past few weeks has been infuriating.

Kordelle

I agree with you on all your issues.
Sponging and hit detection are really bad in this game and it's more gambling on connection than skill.
However still I play it nearly every day, because WHEN it works it feels so awesome and there is nothing else like it.
And yeah I understand what you mean now, I agree, TC should put a big effort into the servers and put EVERYTHING on dedicated servers. Because sadly Gears always had these issues :(
Still I am incredibly excited for Gears 4.

I agree with you on all your issues.
Sponging and hit detection are really bad in this game and it's more gambling on connection than skill.
However still I play it nearly every day, because WHEN it works it feels so awesome and there is nothing else like it.
And yeah I understand what you mean now, I agree, TC should put a big effort into the servers and put EVERYTHING on dedicated servers. Because sadly Gears always had these issues :(
Still I am incredibly excited for Gears 4.

You're right - there is nothing else quite like it when it works and it remains the gold standard for TPS for me. I've stuck with the franchise thick and thin and I can't wait for Gears of War 4.

It just wears you down. I doubt I have to tell anyone in this thread just how frustrating the game can be and as population numbers dwindle connections only get worse.

It's Gnasher bingo each round as people quit and join, either neutering or boosting your effectiveness.

I'd love to know what algorithms are used for matchmaking because it just doesn't work properly. Teams are never fair and it ruins the game for everyone.

Again, UE at its core is Gears of War, so it's hard to get too angry but when you're playing the same series for a decade and the same problems persist it just makes you want to give up.

I've said the Gears of War 4 beta is make or break but let's be honest it will work well. Gears of War 3 started off like a dream.

But as players fall away and just the best remain, issues will raise their ugly head.

Essentially, I'm moaning. But it's been one of those days on this game lol...

GNETUK. Feel free to add me. When Gears of War 4 hits I'll be recharged!

Same goes for anyone else reading.

I need a break from UE though, before I go crazy.

Hesemonni

Banned
Do I remember this incorrectly, but wasn't there a flag, or something, in vanilla which showed you which chapters you've completed in co-op and/or in which difficulty?

My co-op playthrough achievement somehow went only so far as 35/36 and I'm not too fond on idea of playing through the whole thing again :p

E: Ok. Glad it was only the first chapter of act 2. Got it on replay.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Not bad considering my total lack of experience with the franchise, I guess. Although, many, many of my deaths made absolutely no sense to me. One time the dude seemed to shoot me in the face with the gnasher while sprinting beside me, like he didn't even turn. I'd like to have theater mode for this like in Halo so I can slomo witness the game mechanics to better understand what is even happening.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So finally picked this up, loving it, just got to Jurassic Proportions. The fuck is this?

Difficulty spike is either insane, or I'm doing something wrong.

But Dom. Common man. Get the fuck up.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just beat the campaign. The final boss was really pissing me off until I watched a video and... WTF? Nothing that is happening matters.

The kryll shield, the lightbeam gun in the chopper, the reavers, the chaingun on the other car. None of it actually comes into play. You don't even get to the instadeath kryll attack thing if you just stay at the beginning and shoot him because apparently those swirling kryll don't protect him at all? How does anything in the fight make sense? Everything about the situation seems to be communicating mechanics for how the fight is to be fought (something like... kill the reavers so the chopper can shine the light to lower his shield then you hurt him?), but there are no special mechanics, you just shoot him and throw grenades and he dies before even reaching you.

Fucking western devs.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got around to grabbing this with the current windows store sale. Man does it look and play great with everything maxed and holding steady st 60 FPS. Gameplay has held up incredibly well too. I've only played through act one so far.

3DShovel

Played my first round of this in a while tonight.

Community hasn't changed one bit. I proceeded to absolutely destroy these fools in Seriously TDM and then, after having been beat badly, two guys on the enemy team start messaging me saying that I'm trash lol. And then harassing me about my apparent 0.6 k/d ratio (I actually have a 1.5 and a near 4.0 w/l like relax bro).

Even if I had a 0.6 k/d I smacked the shit out of you, why are you messaging me?

Never change, Gears. Never change.

Sydle

Credits are rolling and I had a blast. I wish I had jumped on this train during the 360 years.

Now to finish the sequels before Gears 4 releases.

So I played Gears of War on the 360 back in the day, and absolutely loved it. Finally picked up Gears Ultimate on PC, and I'm currently playing it in co-op mode with a buddy of mine. I'm really blown away by the game, especially considering it is a decade old. Great level design, exciting encounters, sharp self-aware dialogue that's always entertaining but never takes itself too seriously, memorable music, likable cast, and on top of that, it looks as good as a current gen game with all settings cranked up (at 1440p). Some of the areas are drop-dead gorgeous.

While I enjoyed the series when I played it a few years ago, I can definitely appreciate the fantastic game design even more now. Can't wait to play Gears 4, and I hope it's on the same level as the first three games. Also, is there a chance for Gears 2 and 3 remakes? I'd love to play them again on PC/Scorpio.

Credits are rolling and I had a blast. I wish I had jumped on this train during the 360 years.

Now to finish the sequels before Gears 4 releases.

You're in for a treat. Gears of War 2 and 3 are exceptional games. It only gets better from here. It's shame it appears Microsoft has no intention of remastering them because they certainly deserve it.

Keep us updated with your progress through the series. Gears of War 2 has the best campaign for my money, even if Gears of War 3 is the pinnacle of the genre in terms of controls.

So I played Gears of War on the 360 back in the day, and absolutely loved it. Finally picked up Gears Ultimate on PC, and I'm currently playing it in co-op mode with a buddy of mine. I'm really blown away by the game, especially considering it is a decade old. Great level design, exciting encounters, sharp self-aware dialogue that's always entertaining but never takes itself too seriously, memorable music, likable cast, and on top of that, it looks as good as a current gen game with all settings cranked up (at 1440p). Some of the areas are drop-dead gorgeous.

While I enjoyed the series when I played it a few years ago, I can definitely appreciate the fantastic game design even more now. Can't wait to play Gears 4, and I hope it's on the same level as the first three games. Also, is there a chance for Gears 2 and 3 remakes? I'd love to play them again on PC/Scorpio.

Gears of War still plays like a dream 10 years later. Tight controls, gory action and simple, but clever combat scenarios never go out of style.

It's younger brothers are the only cover-based shooters that beat it blow for blow with even more outlandish scenarios, more varied monsters and new weapons.

Sydle

You're in for a treat. Gears of War 2 and 3 are exceptional games. It only gets better from here. It's shame it appears Microsoft has no intention of remastering them because they certainly deserve it.

Keep us updated with your progress through the series. Gears of War 2 has the best campaign for my money, even if Gears of War 3 is the pinnacle of the genre in terms of controls.

Just finished Gears of War 3 and I'm blown the fuck away by it. In addition to being fun as hell, at the end of every chapter I would ask myself what is this game going to show me next?! And it's beautiful. They really stepped up the artistry and graphics. There were so many times I couldn't believe it was on 360. This easily takes place among my favorite games of all time.

Gears of War 2 was excellent as well. It had a pretty slow start, but it just kept getting bigger and better with every chapter. I loved the amount of variety from chapter to chapter, too.

Just finished Gears of War 3 and I'm blown the fuck away by it. In addition to being fun as hell, at the end of every chapter I would ask myself what is this game going to show me next?! And it's beautiful. They really stepped up the artistry and graphics. There were so many times I couldn't believe it was on 360. This easily takes place among my favorite games of all time.

Gears of War 2 was excellent as well. It had a pretty slow start, but it just kept getting bigger and better with every chapter. I loved the amount of variety from chapter to chapter, too.

Gears of War 3 really is the king of the TPS genre.

Exceptional mechanics, excellent encounter design, lots of variety and stuffed with content.

It's a graphical powerhouse too, and still looks sharp five years later.

It's my favourite in the series, but I can't help but think Gears of War 2 has more killer moments - riding the brumak, fighting your way through the locust stronghold to the queen, exploring a creepy, abandoned research facility, staging a last ditch defence of Jacinto, etc.

The jump from the original to Gears of War 2 is enormous.

However, that's not to say Gears of War 3 is a slouch. The wacky intro dream sequence is great, as is discovering the human lambent, fighting the giant corpser and making your way through Azura - which is such a radically different environment to all others in the series.

Glad you enjoyed them.

And again, why not remaster them?! It's bizarre!

Top Bottom