• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Kamitani responds to Kotaku

Blueblur1

So journalism should only happen if the journalist approves of what is being done?

That's not what I said. You're taking my words as if they apply to all situations. Each perceived problem or issue is different.

This one is a non-issue. So in this case, "journalism" (calling Jason's work journalism is a stretch by the way) shouldn't have happened.

We keep getting people saying they asked the mythical creature known as ~~~~A GIRL~~~~~ about the art of Dragon's Crown, and it is vindicated because some said it is okay.

I decided to get recorded audio of such an encounter and have asked my fiance to take a look at the art of the Sorceress and the Amazon. While she is a fairly avid gamer, she has never seen anything about Dragon's Crown and the art of George Kamitani in general.

Here are the results

Nice idea, but you kind of set it up so she had to say something negative about it. "This is what the nerds on the internet are defending!!!!" That doesn't really leave an unbiased grounds in which to judge.

Also yes, that concept art depicted is ridiculous, but perhaps more context of it with the other characters or in the game would give it more substance for which to judge. It's a strange ultra exaggerated art style that is definitely unappealing to most, that doesn't mean it should NOT exist and be damned for being created. Which is the entire point of this argument...

Nairume

Banned
That's not what I said. You're taking my words as if they apply to all situations. Each perceived problem or issue is different.

This one is a non-issue. So in this case, "journalism" (calling Jason's work journalism is a stretch by the way) shouldn't have happened.

Why shouldn't it have happened? Objectification in game design is a very nasty problem that people are still way to willing to overlook. Just because he went about it in a very bad way doesn't mean the intent or the reasoning for it doesn't have any merit.

But, of course, it might be a bit much to get into a discussion of authorial intent when we are already in a really nasty discussion of artistic intent.

Sblargh

Banned
I haven't seen the show but this scene is so good.

That was pretty good.

I was going to say that people seem to be mistaking "strong independent women" with "any character that is able to win a fight, regardless of still being made from bottom to top only to please male teenagers", but this example seems a pretty good example of a female character being good in a fight.

And that's just watching this scene, without any context. I think I'll check this anime out eventually.

jschreier

Hey folks - I was away from the computer most of last night, so I didn't have the chance to respond to any posts, but I've caught up on this thread and while some of the vitriol has been way over the line, there are some interesting points and thoughts here.

I don't know that it'd be productive to keep arguing about Dragon's Crown, but I do plan to double down on reporting about the way women are treated in both western and Japanese games and gaming culture. We in the media don't spend enough time discussing these broader issues (other than during drama like this), and I think it'd be useful to approach this conversation with the same thought and consideration we applied to video game violence.

If there are specific subjects you think I should look into or points you think I should consider, please e-mail me. jason@kotaku.com

Hey folks - I was away from the computer most of last night, so I didn't have the chance to respond to any posts, but I've caught up on this thread and while some of the vitriol has been way over the line, there are some interesting points and thoughts here.

I don't know that it'd be productive to keep arguing about Dragon's Crown, but I do plan to double down on reporting about the way women are treated in both western and Japanese games and gaming culture. We in the media don't spend enough time discussing these broader issues (other than during drama like this), and I think it'd be useful to approach this conversation with the same thought and consideration we applied to video game violence.

If there are specific subjects you think I should look into or points you think I should consider, please e-mail me. jason@kotaku.com

Really? It seems like every other thread on Kotaku is bringing up this subject one way or the other... You need more?!

Goddam.

aeolist

Banned

i find it hilarious that the result of this thread is that there will be more reporting like this on kotaku

i guess something good came out of the bullshit after all

Nairume

Banned
Really? It seems like every other thread on Kotaku is bringing up this subject one way or the other... You need more?!

Goddam.

You know what.

Yes, this is something we need. If somebody that at least have some decent level of attention from the gaming community can keep a constant spotlight on how gaming still needs to grow up in regards to the way it treats women, then maybe we can actually make some progress towards improving things.

If this is the sort of thing we would expect on Kotaku about women in video games going forward, then I would say that you're going to do an exceedingly crap job of it.

Got a good place for you to start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journalism_ethics_and_standards

ZenTzen

Why shouldn't it have happened? Objectification in game design is a very nasty problem that people are still way to willing to overlook. Just because he went about it in a very bad way doesn't mean the intent or the reasoning for it doesn't have any merit.

But, of course, it might be a bit much to get into a discussion of authorial intent when we are already in a really nasty discussion of artistic intent.

in this specific case, no, it doesnt have any merit

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Guys, after ridiculously sidetracked and fucked up this whole thing became, I think he'll very likely take a better approach in the future.

I'm sure it won't become a parody of serious issues again. I don't think I could handle coming into another thread like this.

guek

Banned
i find it hilarious that the result of this thread is that there will be more reporting like this on kotaku

Talking about a relevant societal issue in an unintelligent manner is only marginally better than ignoring it altogether and can in many cases serve to exacerbate existing problems rather then provide worthwhile dialogue.

Guys, after ridiculously sidetracked and fucked up this whole thing became, I think he'll very likely take a better approach in the future.

I'm sure it won't become a parody of serious issues again.

Honestly, between the "designed by a 14 year old" jibe and the "it's lolicon" post, I think he's poisoned the well, and aforementioned blunders will be brought up to dismiss his articles on the subject, at least for the next couple of months.

Nairume

Banned
in this specific case, no, it doesnt have any merit

Why not. Just because Kotaku gave poor execution of it doesn't mean that there is no merit to a discussion about those characters and how they reflect upon the gaming community and industry at large.

Talking about a relevant societal issue in an unintelligent manner is only marginally better than ignoring it altogether and can in many cases serve to exacerbate existing problems rather then provide worthwhile dialogue.

Also, this.

JDSN

Banned
Writing about it its great, I think no one beyond trolls have said otherwise, bringing it up and associating this issue with a developer that didnt deserved to is the main issue that people have with this particular articles.

Controversial opinion ahead:

This might be an oversimplification of things but I think the perceptions of sexualization of men and women in video games are perceived differently due to one key factor. Sadly, I believe that factor might simply be jealousy.
Its far more commonplace for a woman to get jealous of another woman's body or have some sort of body-image issues. So of course women and people who claim to be more sensitive to women's issues will take offense to anything that may be 'harmful' to their self-image despite the fact that we tend to have sexy male characters too. This, of course, is explained away as 'male-power fantasy' (as laughable as that is.)

Its not like men don't have these issues either but to a much lesser degree, I honestly feel this has to do with the female hug-box that is feminism. I'll say it plainly; I am anti-feminist. I am not anti-fairness, simply anti-feminism because I don't believe that feminism promotes fairness between the sexes despite what the dictionary definition says.

I really hate that feminism seemingly encourages people to sit back and complain about problems rather than going out and fixing them. If every single person who had a major problem with the way female characters are designed and portrayed got together to fund and/or create games that promote positive female leads/characters/depictions rather than just armcharing it, we'd see something happen. If the market decides this is what is wanted, the sales will happen and that'll open even more doors.

Unfortunately, for the "business" of third wave feminism to stay aloat, it must convince us that women are in fact oppressed and simply do not have the agency to go out there and create. I don't buy into that. There's another thread on the subject and clearly some people do, but I actually have a bit more respect for women than to think that they can't get by in the industry as it stands now. People just have to try and we don't need things like feminism coddling them.

I think its time you stop posting.

jschreier

Just don't insult people (even if you didn't mean too) and make sure its about more than just the design.

Those were the two missteps that took away from your intent.

design alone can't be offensive and horrible?

Not really.

The only "issue" with this design is that she has giant boobs. That has been explained via the artist as to why and within the context of the world and other characters it makes sense. Context is important. This same design in a super serious world or a realistic art style or a world where she is the only exaggerated character is when it becomes problematic. Or if she was a weak timid girl who needed saving. Her animations show her to be confident and capable.

So by itslef a big boobed witch isn't harmful...especially within the context of this game.

This was a poor target. That's a big reason why people lost their shit over it....games like DOA (which I like) and other "creepy" Japan stuff...doesn't get this level of defense because in context stuff be fucked up.

aeolist

Banned
Ignore. aeolist admitted to posting absolute junk in order to get a rise out of people in a previous thread.

yeah because if i were totally serious all the time you would actually think about what i'm posting and not just find a way to dismiss anything that doesn't completely agree with you like 99% of this thread

give me a fucking break

yeah because if i were totally serious all the time you would actually think about what i'm posting and not just find a way to dismiss anything that doesn't completely agree with you like 99% of this thread

give me a fucking break

You have been abrasive this entire thread tho.

So of course people are going to take pause when regarding your posts.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

give me a fucking break
I just don't think you're actually capable of anything compelling, and I haven't been proven wrong yet.

JordanN

Banned
Please, please, can we get more people to read the definition of sexism and if it's going to be used in journalism, it must adhere to it.

What I've gotten from this thread is people like to use this term frivolously.

A character you don't like because the breasts are too big =/= sexist.

Same goes for objectification.

ZenTzen

Why not. Just because Kotaku gave poor execution of it doesn't mean that there is no merit to a discussion about those characters and how they reflect upon the gaming community and industry at large.
so tell me how does an artists design choice to exagerate every characters features reflect upon the gaming community.

this is just a piece of journalistic trash piece trying to pass it off an artistic decision as offensive to someone

Not really.

The only "issue" with this design is that she has giant boobs. That has been explained via the artist as to why and within the context of the world and other characters it makes sense. Context is important. This same design in a super serious world or a realistic art style or a world where she is the only exaggerated character is when it becomes problematic. Or if she was a weak timid girl who needed saving. Her animations show her to be confident and capable.

So by itslef a big boobed witch isn't harmful...especially within the context of this game.

This was a poor target. That's a big reason why people lost their shit over it....games like DOA (which I like) and other "creepy" Japan stuff...doesn't get this level of defense because in context stuff be fucked up.

That is absolutely not the only issue with the design. And okay it makes sense in the context of the world but so what? It's still a 14 year old fantasy wank material. Whether or not that's harmful is probably debatable although I'm not entirely convinced that it is. But that doesn't mean the character isn't a walking breast and ass fetish.

And have you not seen the various loli defense threads here?

It has to be able to be proven to be truth. I think the fact that this discussion is still going on can at least be taken as a hint that there's probably no proof.

Or it can be taken that people are so annoyed that anyone would dare criticize their precious video games that they'll go out on a limb defend the grossest aspects of them.

You have been abrasive this entire thread tho.

So of course people are going to take pause when regarding your posts.

lol tone argument. nice.

Please, please, can we get more people to read the definition of sexism and if it's going to be used in journalism, it must adhere to it.

What I've gotten from this thread is people like to use this term frivolously.

A character you don't like because the breasts are too big =/= sexist.

Same goes for objectification.

Actually I had to re-search the definitions for a bunch of words in this thread because I've noticed people seem to use terms with no explanation or clarification about why they're used or how they are important and fit into a given argument. So I had to look them up again due to losing all sense of their meaning due to repeated use in unclear and improper contexts.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I don't know that it'd be productive to keep arguing about Dragon's Crown, but I do plan to double down on reporting about the way women are treated in both western and Japanese games and gaming culture. We in the media don't spend enough time discussing these broader issues (other than during drama like this), and I think it'd be useful to approach this conversation with the same thought and consideration we applied

Well, if it's not productive to discuss any longer, I hope we at least learned something about opposing framing of design and the value of avoiding sensationalist articles.

While I'm glad that you understand the error of the '14 year old comment' and the title of the original article, posting that shit potentially sets you back a good ways. People don't tend to remember you for what you do right, they remember your screw-ups.

give me a fucking break

So because you assume (perhaps on past experience) that no one is going to listen to your opinion and automatically dismiss it, you've taken to being inciteful?

That's not going to help your cause at all either, and can only serve to give others further reason to set aside any reasoning you may have, because you're coming across as fanatical.

edit:

And okay it makes sense in the context of the world but so what? It's still a 14 year old fantasy wank material.

If it makes sense in the context of the world, why does its (potential and subjective) status as 'wank material' automatically make it harmful? And how is being sexist against women?

That's what we've been trying to discuss (albeit not well in some cases)

JABEE

It has over 150,000 clicks. They would be stupid not to go back to the well. Make sure to include cleavage shots in the lead image to increase visibility and enhanced irony.

Jathaine

Or it can be taken that people are so annoyed that anyone would dare criticize their precious video games that they'll go out on a limb defend the grossest aspects of them.

That was actually your cue to provide some proof to back up your claim that it is "true" and not an opinion.
Hint: Its not possible because offensive and horrible cannot be quantified. They are simply opinion statements and nothing more.

That is absolutely not the only issue with the design. And okay it makes sense in the context of the world but so what? It's still a 14 year old fantasy wank material. Whether or not that's harmful is probably debatable although I'm not entirely convinced that it is. But that doesn't mean the character isn't a walking breast and ass fetish.

And have you not seen the various loli defense threads here?

Then what is the other issue? The constant and only thing pointed out was that she has big breasts...is that alone a big deal or a bad thing? I'll ignore the 14 year old wank mateiral comment (which is funny because I guess once you turn 15 you no longer can find big breast attractive), let's just say it was made to appeal to men...is that alone a problem? You admit that it makes sense in context...so what the fuck is the problem? That is the thing I am getting at here...this game was a piss poor target for the whole equality issue (if anything this game has a body type of every kind albeit to the extreme...sooo) because just a oversexualized design is not a problem and no harmful...you have admitted as much...so why are we still talking about it?

as for those loli defense topics, the only one that hold weight is the Atelier games....which is also a design choice....but that is not my thing I'd probably stand more on the "yeeeah no" side for that. The other loli games....naw son.

Top Bottom