• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

Fake

I love this game so much its not even funny anymore.
hnlmcer46l751.jpg

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I like the game so far quite a bit. The only thing I don't really like is the lack of pointing out destination or quest markers very obviously in the area. It seems to be spotty.

And I get why they chose for the wind to be a guide as well, but I think it's a poor idea. I'd rather just have a mini map with something pointing you in the direction of your destination. Credit to them for trying to be unique and think outside the box, but it's more of a hassle than an enjoyable concept.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I like the game so far quite a bit. The only thing I don't really like is the lack of pointing out destination or quest markers very obviously in the area. It seems to be spotty.

And I get why they chose for the wind to be a guide as well, but I think it's a poor idea. I'd rather just have a mini map with something pointing you in the direction of your destination. Credit to them for trying to be unique and think outside the box, but it's more of a hassle than an enjoyable concept.
I personally LOOOVE that I didn’t have any problem finding my destination.

BRZBlue

I dig the wind, it gets you going in the right general direction, and I find myself exploring a lot more because I'm not just making a beeline for a point on the minimap.
Definitely. It makes everything feel more like a cohesive setting instead of a series of waypoints.

Keihart

i also prefer the wind to your typical path finder, it's just a compass, it's up to you to chose your path. Most of the time you can even follow birds to points of interests instead of searching for interrogation simbols on the map. It keeps you looking at that beautiful scenery instead of a minimap. But i hate checklist games so i appreciate how most of it is streamlined so you don't have to look at menus so much, with the game telling you when you have upgrades available and all. Pretty cool.

Lol well obviously it was released this past Friday. but the game itself feels and looks very 2016 ish.
I have my gripes about the game, but you care to tell me which mechanics are behind the times that other games of the genre or similar already improved on?
The game seems to be improving in much of the tedious work of a game of it's nature and combat mechanics are very much Sucker Punch's signature style adapted to the setting, way above Assasin's Creed for example.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Well one thing I like is you can fast travel to small points of interest in the map which is very convenient. I just always like to have the destination indicated via icon somewhere on the map at all times, I'm used to it.

Bryank75

Banned
Well one thing I like is you can fast travel to small points of interest in the map which is very convenient. I just always like to have the destination indicated via icon somewhere on the map at all times, I'm used to it.
Yes, using that a lot now. I rarely use the horse actually...

Just did 3 mythic quests, so good.

Thought some of you guys might enjoy a couple pictures from my trip last year. I have no idea if any of these buildings are even from the same century, but they're similar enough.

The Golden Pavilion, obviously reminds me of the Golden Temple in the game, but in real life its even cooler and actually gold. I'm only on act 1 so I don't know what's coming up but I'm excited to see more elaborate architecture. The huge (HUGE, look at the people for scale) temple is in Nara, and the red one is in Kyoto. I don't know if you go to Kyoto in the game, but it had the most ancient architecture when I went last year.

Weird little detail, but I remember just being so impressed with the roofs and especially the woodwork grid pattern on the underside of the roofs. In the game, it looks perfect, and that's exactly how it really looks.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
I have my gripes about the game, but you care to tell me which mechanics are behind the times that other games of the genre or similar already improved on?
The game seems to be improving in much of the tedious work of a game of it's nature and combat mechanics are very much Sucker Punch's signature style adapted to the setting, way above Assasin's Creed for example.
For one, the running, walking, jumping, basic mechanics are so jittery and unconvincingly animated. With platforming, they didn't even bother trying to make the rocks where you climb more subtle. There's also so many instances of me having to jump onto a plank instead of just smoothly walking onto it. A click must happens.
For two, graphically it's inconsistent and honestly, the only thing saving it visually is the moving colorful environments. Character models are decent, but the animation in faces is pretty lame, along with the voice acting. Textures are weak most of the time, inconsistent.
For three, the transitions from cut scenes to gameplay, or cut scenes in general, are not smooth and very jarring. Consist of characters standing still without any emotion.
For four, there are so many instances of me having to walk up to a lifeless character to trigger a mission. It's not natural and is very outdated.
For five, I've already had numerous missions that have consisted of investigating, tracking, and following paths.
For six, the amount of clipping in combat is hilarious. Along with the lack of variety in how enemies interact and the animation they have when you kill them. It really rinses repeat type of things that I think are going to get old for me.
For seven, speaking of AI, in stealth they're hilariously poor and once again, are pretty much lifeless. The enemies in general in this game are so generic that it just feels you're killing the same exact enemies without any changes in the dynamics of the situation.
For eight, speaking of stealth, it's generally lame which I think most agree with anyways.
For nine, much of the game so far has consisted of me just walking and following a character, only to be led into a brawl with enemies. It's very formulaic. Oh and it also isn't really free a lot of the times so far. I will get an instant fail like rockstar games.
For ten, while the melee combat is generally fun, like i said before, it's rough around the edges with poor enemies and animations, and with a poor camera that has objects like trees get in the way of what's going on.
For eleven, stealth takedowns are pretty generic and old, akin to days gone.

All in all, the strength of this game is when you're exploring and just riding around. The only fresh thing it feels it does it is the way the game sends you to location and missions in a very minimalistic way without intrusive AI. And the combat, when you can get it to work flawlessly without any hitches in camera or janky animations, is fun. But it's not necessarily anything that feels like it's from 2020 considered how rough it is around the edges like i mentioned above with the enemies and camera. It's generally a very gamey game, which many like, which is fine. But it's not immersive for me whatsoever like this game tried to set out and be, and it's one that does not feel like it should be released in 2020 from a Sony studio. Especially as the final ps4 game.

update: ill be a bit nicer. the wind system is quite great to have and it's great seeing the trees and vegetation move so lively. but looking at the trees right now they generally look graphically weak. but yeah, maybe the wind system you can argue makes this a 2020 game. but to me, all around this is a quite outdated game.

Last edited:
After several hours under my belt with this game, it's alright. I thought they were going to come out with some mind blowing new IP and it's far from that. Do enjoy the time period it's in, but it's too similar to Assassin's Creed and Batman (the investigation parts). The camera can be at times very awful. The wind as your guide, sure unique concept, but a hassle.

To me, it's a typical hack and slash game with elements of Assassin's Creed and Batman. Graphically, love the colors, but some of the details kills it with its flatness in some areas. For example, when traversing a mountain side, there's no details to the rocks, just flat. I know the game doesnt focus around mountain side, but still, this is something I noticed. Same goes with some clothing where there's no detailed textures displayed, just flat clothing that one would see back in the 360/PS3 days. I say it would be comparable to Onechanbara.

Unique time period? Absolutely.

Mind blowing game and ground breaking? Not at all.

I do enjoy exploring the entire map since that is what I usually do with games with large free-roaming maps.

Is this a Game of the Year candidate? Hell no, not at all. Maybe place it under the Unique Period category if there is one.

I'll keep on keeping on with Tsushima and hopefully it's all worth it at the end.

Since people love scores so much, mine would be a 6/10.

Last edited:

Keihart

For one, the running, walking, jumping, basic mechanics are so jittery and unconvincingly animated. With platforming, they didn't even bother trying to make the rocks where you climb more subtle. There's also so many instances of me having to jump onto a plank instead of just smoothly walking onto it. A click must happens.
For two, graphically it's inconsistent and honestly, the only thing saving it visually is the moving colorful environments. Character models are decent, but the animation in faces is pretty lame, along with the voice acting. Textures are weak most of the time, inconsistent.
For three, the transitions from cut scenes to gameplay, or cut scenes in general, are not smooth and very jarring. Consist of characters standing still without any emotion.
For four, there are so many instances of me having to walk up to a lifeless character to trigger a mission. It's not natural and is very outdated.
For five, I've already had numerous missions that have consisted of investigating, tracking, and following paths.
For six, the amount of clipping in combat is hilarious. Along with the lack of variety in how enemies interact and the animation they have when you kill them. It really rinses repeat type of things that I think are going to get old for me.
For seven, speaking of AI, in stealth they're hilariously poor and once again, are pretty much lifeless. The enemies in general in this game are so generic that it just feels you're killing the same exact enemies without any changes in the dynamics of the situation.
For eight, speaking of stealth, it's generally lame which I think most agree with anyways.
For nine, much of the game so far has consisted of me just walking and following a character, only to be led into a brawl with enemies. It's very formulaic. Oh and it also isn't really free a lot of the times so far. I will get an instant fail like rockstar games.
For ten, while the melee combat is generally fun, like i said before, it's rough around the edges with poor enemies and animations, and with a poor camera that has objects like trees get in the way of what's going on.
For eleven, stealth takedowns are pretty generic and old, akin to days gone.

All in all, the strength of this game is when you're exploring and just riding around. The only fresh thing it feels it does it is the way the game sends you to location and missions in a very minimalistic way without intrusive AI. And the combat, when you can get it to work flawlessly without any hitches in camera or janky animations, is fun. But it's not necessarily anything that feels like it's from 2020 considered how rough it is around the edges like i mentioned above with the enemies and camera. It's generally a very gamey game, which many like, which is fine. But it's not immersive for me whatsoever like this game tried to set out and be, and it's one that does not feel like it should be released in 2020 from a Sony studio. Especially as the final ps4 game.
So beside mission structure, you critiques are mostly about the aesthetics, interesting since most people are ok with how this game is in that department.

The game it's so above anything sandbox mechanically that i have no idea with what you are comparing it to. Sucks that it didn't lived up to your high expectations tho.
The game it's very different from what i wanted out of Sucker Punch when they announced a ninja game, but for what they are doing i'm pretty impressed. It's certainty it's better than Horizon or AC for me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Currently this game right beside FFVIIR as my GOTY. The game both looks and plays beautifully!

So Sekiro is a better game?
They are very different games, it’s like comparing Doom to battlefield, just because both are FPS.

Sekiro is much more over the top with you battling monsters and other warriors who twice the size of you.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
So beside mission structure, you critiques are mostly about the aesthetics
i think my complaints about AI, stealth, mission structure, and non-dynamic enemies are far more important.. not like the game looks offensively bad or is offensively bad, it's just whatever to me. horizon came out in 2017 and outdoes ghost in like all those aspects for me minus human to human combat (which horizon really isn't based around), and having to follow waypoints. but each to their own i guess. i just feel like this game pales to other games I've played this year (Doom eternal, dreams, ff7r, tlou2). Even last year, i'd honestly compare this game most to days gone. even far cry 3 classic edition which i bought last week. now i do like ghost better than days gone, but it's just weak to me compared to horizon or spiderman.
as for assassins creed, i played 20 hours of odyssey and hated it. But from what i remember it was more polished than ghost. but i still prefer ghost cus it's not bloated like that.

anyways, glad you're impressed and enjoying ghost!

THEAP99

Banned
So Sekiro is a better game?
I didn't get that far in sekiro because i suck, but it's certainly more polished i think and has more inspiring level design and general gameplay.

i prefer ghost though because it's more forgiving and at least tries to be more story-based (though I'm underwhelmed by the story, execution, and performances so far).

If its any thing like the repetitiveness of the first game I didn't loose anything.
It's literally a masterpiece of a game. The combat, stance system, enemy variety, boss battles, online coop, all are incredibly impressive. GoT doesnt even have 2 weapons, and lifted the whole stance change mechanic from Nioh but did it worse. Most places rated it extremely highly. It's not for everyone but it's a great game.

THEAP99

Banned
The wind mechanic was great at first, and is still great because it's very minimal and not an intrusive UI waypoint you're following, but that's still what it kind of is. at this point, i am just selecting something on my in-game map and the wind takes me to it. it's better than a traditional waypoint but it's still far from what i truly want in fully immersive and organic exploration. a game designed fully around that. this is not that, but rather a welcomed improvement in what exists and just making it more integrated into the world, but it's still kind of the same thing.

Zoro7

Banned
I have no complaints other than constantly having to move the camera during combat. They should have added a lock on system.

I did have a great time reading some of the complaints on this thread though. Like people go out of their way to look for things to complain about.
“Run up a hill and just stare at his feet” yeah because that’s how you play this game.

PanzerAzel

I guess I’m very easy to please, as I’m loving the everloving shit out of this game.

Does it revolutionize the genre? No, but it’s an incredibly enjoyable experience overall and has become my favorite open-world game of all time, which I do not say lightly. Despite its reliance upon the familiar tropes and formula, I've never been more engaged in an open-world before, and the flaws are mere nuisances in comparison to what it gets right. The bigger picture is what matters, and GoT nails it.

Sucker Punch has risen quite a few notches in my eyes with this one. LOVE IT.

GreyHorace

Only at Act One and have done a few of the main story missions plus a couple of side quests. Overall, I'm loving it so far. I've never played a Sucker Punch game before so I had no idea what to expect but so far I like what they've brought to the open world formula. The guiding wind confused me at first but after a while it becomes second nature to follow it, and the use of birds and foxes to guide you to objectives is genius.

Combat was tough at first but once you get the hang of it's really very well done. I daresay it's the best melee combat system I've seen in an open world game. I really wish we had a combat system like this in The Witcher 3.

Plan to give a more detailed review once I finish the game. But so far, Ghost of Tsushima is a winner for me.

SinDelta

So far I think Ghosts of Tsushima is up there with Breath of the Wild as one of the best games ever made.

Painting like visuals, huge world to explore filled with lore and secrets, mechanics, combat, gear, the sidequests, are all absolutely top notch.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'm probably 10-12 hours in the game. It might be my favorite open world game visually. The world is so lush and beautiful. The story, while simple, is enjoyable (though it does lean a little too idealistically into the honor of Samurai) as is the cast of characters and voice work

But the combat is kind of a drag. Mechanically it's not bad (besides the stealth which isn't great), the opposite really and at times it feels really satisfying. Standoffs are a neat mechanic especially as they fill your resolve. The bigger issue is the enemy variety and it feels like every combat encounter plays out the same. The game just throws a few archers, spear men, shield barriers and swordsman at you. Occasionally you'll get a brute or a Mongol leader to mix things up, but it's all a really simple game of rock, paper, scissors in which you pick an appropriate stance and parry to kill (swordsmen), dodge to kill (spear men, brutes), or break guard to kill (shield barriers). You can spice things up with quickfire gear (Kunai are really effective to get through encounters faster) but I do wish the game had a few more tricks up its' sleeve (maybe it does later?).

And that's a shame. The world is full of collectibles to upgrade your health, resolve and charms slots, resources for upgrading your weapons, armor and gear and items to customize how your character and mount look, but it all feels a bit pointless when you are presented the same encounters time and time again which is a shame Some of the side quests have interesting narratives and some of the Shrine climbs are fun and feel akin to those Prince of Persia segments in the AC games prior to Origins. Writing haiku is a really clever idea and the hot spring memories are a nice touch in developing Jin's character.

PanzerAzel

I like how the game tells you as you pick up enough resources what you can upgrade, and places also turn gold on the map. Nice QoL inclusions.

Also the load times for fast travel is absurd. I’m so used to picking up my phone to browse while I wait thirty+ seconds. It’s not even worth picking it up now.

Last edited:

tassletine

Yeah my post wasn't very clear was it. I was talking about what I see as the positive influence that Samurai stories had on Westerns. I am aware that the Western has existed since the dawn of cinematic time. I just think the best stuff came after the Samurai influence. I know Kurosawa himself was a fan of earlier Westerns.

When I said "classics" I was talking about the films I grew up watching (because my dad was watching them), like The Magnificent Seven, The Good The Bad & The Ugly, Once Upon A Time in The West. But obviously the early John Wayne stuff was huge in it's day as well. That was a poor choice of words.

I apologise to you all. I have dishonoured myself.
You are forgiven. :) As a huge fan of westerns myself, I knew what you were getting at, but just had to clarify.
Sergio Leone is probably the greatest visual director of all time. RIP Ennio.

tassletine

Yup, you really can. Not since the Arkham games have I felt such adoration for the source as I have here. It just keeps getting better and better.
Aside the political game, I think with TLoU II, the main sites were feeling the need to circle the wagon in defense of ND to compensate for what they felt was unfair bias for weeks due to the leaks. I suspect had they not happened, it would’ve scored lower. Perhaps not by much, but lower nonetheless.
You can’t please everyone. Studios like R* take immaculate attention to detail with their contextual animations, and people bitch that they’re intrusive to the gameplay. Others studios don’t, and they’re criticized just as well.

I think SP put the attention where it was needed, and I doubt they were operating on a budget that R* and ND are afforded. I notice a lack of polish in this game in the little details (especially coming off such high production values as TLoU II only a few weeks back), but I’m having such a blast I don’t care. I haven’t enjoyed a game this much since Mario Galaxy and I don’t even know why. It retains so many of the open-world tropes I’m long past tired of but it’s not affecting my enjoyment in the slightest. Maybe it’s the theme but this is just so damn fun that I’m doing gaming binges I haven’t since my early twenties.

GoT is making me feel my age.
I’m not sure if I agree wit your initial statement. It’s not really their job to compensate and the review copies wold have been sent out a few weeks in advance. It’s very telling that all the sites that don’t score were very critical. If what you were saying was true I don’t think that would be the case.

I completely agree with you about the point that everyone bitches now, but that Is actually part of the woke manifesto (literally). It’s a political tactic. Criticise everything and do not stop, even when the problems are fixed — you an see that trait everywhere now. It’s extremely destructive — but that‘s precisely the point.

I agree with you about the fun. The swordplay is sick! and I think it was extremely clever just to go ‘fuckit‘ with the stealth. Some people have complained about this but as far as gameplay goes it works brilliantly. All it is is a breather from the combat for a couple of seconds. This game would be very annoying if you had to wait and watch guards looking for you etc. It’s just not about that.

I also agree about the polish, nothing can compare to TLOU2 — but the first act twist in Ghost had me more emotional and riled up than anything in TLOU. The villian is incredibe. This is great video game writing, it knows how to balance fun with story and as the presentation of the game isn’t so realistic you forgive the videogame tropes. It’s not afraid to be an actual game, unlike the last of US which is primarily obsessed with realism.
The irony is that by making everything clear, and not ambiguous like TLOU the emotional beats mean a lot more and the story works so much better.

Top Bottom