• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

So at first I was like hmmm game feels kinda bad with the combat, camera controls and movement. But after the very first initial combat scene it just somehow got better. I still am not a fan of the camera. It always seems to line up directly behind me where I can’t see people approaching directly in front.

Ok i keep getting nagged that my travellers attire will pulse when im near an artefact. Its early game so I assume its meant to be pulsing to lead me somewhere but nothing is pulsing or changing. What happens when it pulses. Does it change colour or something?

I like after all the hoohah about the dogs in tlou you just kunai the fuckers without a thought. And there is no deep articles about how aghast people were.

Lastly I was skeptical about the guiding wind and foxes/birds but yeah its really well done. Enough to tease you somewhere but also easy to ignore.

Only criticism really is sucker punch arent quite there with their transitions. There is a lot of fade to black between linked scenes which makes the game feel cheaper than it obviously is.
Pulsing means something is nearby. It gets stronger as you get closer to it. You have to be in the vicinity for it to start(I think it’s like 40m for the upgraded armor). There are better ways of finding items as you’ll find later on other than that armor( I’m only like 20hrs in)

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
so it's worse
Just different, it has areas where you won't see enemies for a while, mountains and hidden areas, you can 'write' Haiku's, play your flute, pray at shrine, try to figure out some myth and get some rare armor.

The gameplay is totally different, you do have assassinations like Sekiro but I haven't used them a lot yet.... in Sekiro you run up behind or jump down on a lot of enemies to OHK them, you can do this here but I always find myself going back to the more samurai based combat.

Samurai style you start off challenging one person to a standoff and you can upgrade this to 5 people I hear... I am at 2. It has a block, parry and perfect parry (OHK counter) system and then 4 styles for your sword that all have upgrades.

You have a bow and can get a second type and then loads of ghost stuff to unlock. SO it's just a more varied game. It doesn't have the same level of difficulty and therefore satisfaction that Sekiro does..... but the combat is a lot of fun.

Check out SKillUp, Yong, Karak or any of the youtubers.... where they didn't like TLOU, they all seem to love this. So I think you can trust them.

cormack12

Gold Member
Pulsing means something is nearby. It gets stronger as you get closer to it. You have to be in the vicinity for it to start(I think it’s like 40m for the upgraded armor). There are better ways of finding items as you’ll find later on other than that armor( I’m only like 20hrs in)

Yeah but how do I feel it. Is it a controller rumble, does my cloak glow etc? Because im getting a notification but nothing to make me see/feel the pulse lol

DavidGzz

I feel so bad ass taking 6+ enemies out with sidesteps and deflects only. It looks so awesome. Some of the weapons make encounters too easy. It's nice that they exist though for the less skilled or people who haven't spent 100s of hours in Souls games. You can definitely make the game as challenging as those games. Broken armor, hard mode, and nothing but your stances and katana. It's so fun!

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Yeah game starts hard but even groups become easy to deal with. And I love those touches, like shooting those lanterns when they happen to be above enemies. There is quite a bit in the scenery you can use.

Also depends if you're open world fatigued, John in DF review said that the game is full of open world tropes.

I think Ghost does open world really well. Traversal is fun, missions aren't MMO tier. There isn't that much of that kind of filler I feel. I like the stories of tsushima and mythical questlines. Samurai atmosphere helps a bunch too.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I feel so bad ass taking 6+ enemies out with sidesteps and deflects only. It looks so awesome. Some of the weapons make encounters too easy. It's nice that they exist though for the less skilled or people who haven't spent 100s of hours in Souls games. You can definitely make the game as challenging as those games. Broken armor, hard mode, and nothing but your stances and katana. It's so fun!
Yup, it needs a harder mode... and a NG+ and more stuff to collect. Maybe an armor for completing NG+.

Yup I called out people for saying the game was easy early on lol. Then I unlocked some abilities and now I’m the Tsushiman.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Wind Stance really fucks guys up. The heavy attack has you cleave their head right down the middle sometimes 🤣

I love how simple it is to pull off headshots with the bow. Already maxed out the slo mo concentration 🤤

Still in Act 1. Game seems yuge. No reviewer really talked about the size of the map etc. 61 side quests! 😮

ToadMan

Ok i keep getting nagged that my travellers attire will pulse when im near an artefact. Its early game so I assume its meant to be pulsing to lead me somewhere but nothing is pulsing or changing. What happens when it pulses. Does it change colour or something?

I like after all the hoohah about the dogs in tlou you just kunai the fuckers without a thought. And there is no deep articles about how aghast people were.

Lastly I was skeptical about the guiding wind and foxes/birds but yeah its really well done. Enough to tease you somewhere but also easy to ignore.

Only criticism really is sucker punch arent quite there with their transitions. There is a lot of fade to black between linked scenes which makes the game feel cheaper than it obviously is.

I get a rumble in the controller. I don’t think there’s a graphical indicator.

MrS

Banned
better or worse than sekiro?
It's worse but only slightly. Combat in Ghost is good but not on Sekiro level - Sekiro's combat just feels better. The world and story of Ghost are way better though. You actually want to help the characters in the game and the good story really drives you. In terms of upgradables and "skill tree" stuff, the system in Ghost is much better and has more of an effect in combat. In terms of gameplay, I had a shit load of fun with both. Ghost has the edge in graphics but Sekiro looks incredible on my OLED - they're both beautiful to look at. If Sekiro is a 9 Ghost is an 8.5.

Ghost is way, WAY better than Days Gone and HZD.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

better or worse than sekiro?
Sekiro punishes you until you learn the combat system and master it to a pretty high degree. In Tsushima parries are important, but not that important. Outside of boss fights you also have multiple ways of killing enemies and for me using stuff like the kunai projectiles was almost like cheating, because they stagger almost everyone.

They are games from different genres, but Tsushima can still be called lite Sekiro in terms of difficulty. I don't like very difficult games so my winner is easily Tsushima.

Last edited:

Codswallop_

Neophyte
Around ~5 hours in and really enjoying it so far. Hard difficulty seems perfect, tough but not too unforgiving. The combat feels much more fulfulling than the AC games, since it's more about counters or breaking guards than whacking away at a level XX damage sponge. Some of the camp boss fights are also pretty damn epic.

My only major complaint so far is the standoff event frequently glitching out. So far I've had the event trigger a bunch of times where nothing happens, everybody just stands around waiting for minutes on end. The only action I can take is to strike first, which just leads to taking damage. Am I doing something wrong/this happening to anyone else?

Codswallop_

Neophyte
Game looks so damn good in motion. Good thing it's the end of the gen, because by the sounds of the ps4 fans it'll melted by the end of this.

EdJPETdX0AIdY0a.jpg

EdJRC8gXkAA3ggC.jpg

EdJVH1HXkAAfG1V.jpg

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
What a beautiful game man .. I’m really enjoying everything in this game as a matter of fact I’m not playing the story missions yet only the first ones .. well done SP

🇯🇵 voice is lit

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I'm still in act 1 after 15 hours ish.

All other stuff is just too fun, those mythical missions are ace. But, the story missions are really solid as well. I did a few just now. I just

raided the lighthouse and the boats.

That was some Witcher tier buddy questing. Love it. Fuck bears though, but its 2 evades, 2 slashes, 2 evades etc. I'm thinking of switching dub, the English VA is not great sadly. The synch of JP isn't great but the cutscene quality overall isn't the best we've seen. Its especially obvious if you just came over from TLOU2 like I did.

Made this stand off finisher pic, fucking around with the bells and whistles of photo mode.

4Nymt9k.jpg

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So I was at the initial stages of the game chosing which quests to do and so on. And I see that one quest rewards you with the ability to kill people while stealthed. And I was genuinely shocked to see that: it's a basic element of stealth gameplay! I saw it and I felt it reeked of classical game-isms.

Then I did the mission.

Oh alright.

Well done Sucker Punch.

the last 2 flat AAA games I've played were GoW (finished) and AC Odyssey (unfinished)

really willing to give this one a chance - specially as inFamous SS opened this generation to me...

Dodkrake

Banned
About 7 or 8 hours in. Not liking it. Very similar to assassin's creed, stiff characters and dialog, horrible performance (imagine days gone but even worse)... So far, it's a 6/10 at best.

Btw, performance is not due to my PS4. It ran TLOU2 perfectly. This game is just horribly optimized.

This game is amazing. Growing up on Samurai cinema and spaghetti westerns, games like this and Red Dead are right up my alley.
I had a good time playing through TLoU2, but I'm enjoying this a lot more. What a great way to end the gen.

Cracklox

Nearing the end of act 1 and so far its all fairly serious story wise. However I can't help but smile at Jin and his horse interacting with one another after some missions, just before it drops you back to gameplay.

So I was at the initial stages of the game chosing which quests to do and so on. And I see that one quest rewards you with the ability to kill people while stealthed. And I was genuinely shocked to see that: it's a basic element of stealth gameplay! I saw it and I felt it reeked of classical game-isms.

Then I did the mission.

Oh alright.

Well done Sucker Punch.

Haha. That's what I ended up thinking as well. Only i tried to do some free roam stealthing and couldn't stealth kill. I thought 'thats pretty stupid if its tied to a quest'. And then, yeah....

The way I''m playing pops really wouldn't be too proud either

Exede

About 7 or 8 hours in. Not liking it. Very similar to assassin's creed, stiff characters and dialog, horrible performance (imagine days gone but even worse)... So far, it's a 6/10 at best.

Btw, performance is not due to my PS4. It ran TLOU2 perfectly. This game is just horribly optimized.
Why do you compare the games performance? The one is open world, the other isn't

Not trying to convert you or anything, but man, the classic Westerns that made the genre popular wouldn't have existed without Samurai stories. They were either made by people who loved Kurosawa, or were outright remakes of his films! Seven Samurai = The Magnificent Seven!

So much of the DNA of Westerns is taken directly from Samurai stories & just placed in a different setting. The cowboy with a deep sense of honour who defends people, who can't defend themselves, from the dishonourable bad guys?
Sorry, but this take is a little weird. Sure, Kurosawa has bene of great influence on the western of the late '50 and on the spaghetti-western of Leone, but the western as a genre is pretty much as old as cinema itself and a food bunch of its masterpiece have bene created during the '30s and the '40s, mainly by band of John Ford, but also names like Howard Hawks, Raul Walsh or Henry King .

Moriah20

After playing a few more hours today, I pretty much hate the camera system in this game and its really affecting my enjoyment of it.
During traversal its way too close, almost claustrophobic, especially in an open world game where you can go anywhere so having a big FOV is actually logical.
Then, during combat, the camera does try to adjust itself by zooming out, so you can see more, but it so often just gets stuck in objects, or the auto lock on bugs out and you need to manually adjust the camera, which by the way, with the game's bindings is just really cumbersome.
At first I found all of this a minor annoyance, but the more I played the more I grown to hate it.

Also, the wind and constantly blowing leaves is cute, but I already wish I just had a regular gps or compass lol
I'm having fun but there's a lot of other minor annoyances too and it just adds up.

Mossybrew

The game really has amazing aesthetics. Just wandering around this world is relaxing, just taking in the sights. Some have said Jin doesnt have much personality, but Im digging how chill he is outside of slicing up fools.

nowhat

"Jank". I guess that's the keyword here, for a Sony first-party title, there's surprisingly lot of it. Not just that there's no inverse kinematics (although seriously, what's up with that?), but some common animations like climbing, they're most certainly janky. The camera can be janky. The fact that Sucker Punch doesn't even attempt lip sync with Japanese voices, janky. There's a fundamental lack of, not perhaps polish, but more like "de-jankying" of the game. And the plot, insofar as I can talk about it (just nearing the end of act 1) is about as generic as you can get.

At the same time, the game can look absolutely gorgeous, the sound and soundtrack is fantastic and it's a joy to play. I guess with being first-party and all, my expectations were too high - from any other developer I wouldn't even bother complaining about the above. So far a solid 8 for me, could turn out to be a 9 even but I doubt I'll go below 8.

Dodkrake

Banned
Why do you compare the games performance? The one is open world, the other isn't

Wait, so should I expect open world games to run like crap? I compared them because TLOU2 is one of the most demanding PS4 games. But to appease you, my PS4 ran RDR2 a few days back with no hitch.

There's no excusing the horrible performance in Tsushima.

Codswallop_

Neophyte
Constantly getting this glitch in the standoff events, where the enemy just walks past and never strikes

edit - think this was due to having the option for button holds turned off. Put it back and haven't been getting this since.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
[
The fact that Sucker Punch doesn't even attempt lip sync with Japanese voices
I could be wrong but isn't that mostly because they are using face scans? in FFVIIR is possible because the models is custom made instead of face scan. Also Sucker Punch are small team compare to ND and R*, its like comparing graphics in Yoko Taro games to Nomura, I like Yoko Taro game way more but he just doesn't get same budget as Nomura gets for his games.

For me all I care about end result, if someone asks me which game GoT or TLOU2 has better visuals I'm pretty much gonna say GoT simply because I like that game's art direction more, it doesn't matter if TLOU2 has more advance graphics.

HotPocket69

Banned
[

I could be wrong but isn't that mostly because they are using face scans? in FFVIIR is possible because the models is custom made instead of face scan. Also Sucker Punch are small team compare to ND and R*, its like comparing graphics in Yoko Taro games to Nomura, I like Yoko Taro game way more but he just doesn't get same budget as Nomura gets for his games.

For me all I care about end result, if someone asks me which game GoT or TLOU2 has better visuals I'm pretty much gonna say GoT simply because I like that game's art direction more, it doesn't matter if TLOU2 has more advance graphics.

How are you liking the game so far? I need impressions Dan 🤓

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
That's not really true. Samurai films were Japan's response to American westerns -- Although as you've said they were then repurposed again for western audiences. Definitely, some of the Japanese stories were ripped off, including most famously Star Wars.
Sorry, but this take is a little weird. Sure, Kurosawa has bene of great influence on the western of the late '50 and on the spaghetti-western of Leone, but the western as a genre is pretty much as old as cinema itself and a food bunch of its masterpiece have bene created during the '30s and the '40s, mainly by band of John Ford, but also names like Howard Hawks, Raul Walsh or Henry King .

Yeah my post wasn't very clear was it. I was talking about what I see as the positive influence that Samurai stories had on Westerns. I am aware that the Western has existed since the dawn of cinematic time. I just think the best stuff came after the Samurai influence. I know Kurosawa himself was a fan of earlier Westerns.

When I said "classics" I was talking about the films I grew up watching (because my dad was watching them), like The Magnificent Seven, The Good The Bad & The Ugly, Once Upon A Time in The West. But obviously the early John Wayne stuff was huge in it's day as well. That was a poor choice of words.

I apologise to you all. I have dishonoured myself.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
How are you liking the game so far? I need impressions Dan 🤓
I honestly really liking it so far, especially the combat but I'm still in act one. The visuals is gorgeous and honestly I don't have much issue with the animation as much as some people here and controls are smooth and feels good to control, this definitely a Sucker Punch game.

Last edited:

Exede

Wait, so should I expect open world games to run like crap? I compared them because TLOU2 is one of the most demanding PS4 games. But to appease you, my PS4 ran RDR2 a few days back with no hitch.

There's no excusing the horrible performance in Tsushima.
Good thing i'm old and don't see the crap performance and otherwise don't mind small hickups.

Dodkrake

Banned
Good thing i'm old and don't see the crap performance and otherwise don't mind small hickups.

Good for you, honestly. But these are no small hiccups. The game stutters in every single battle, skips frames. It looks like it's running at sub 20 fps in some parts.

nowhat

[

Oh art direction is a whole different thing altogether, and GoT looks fantastic in that regard (like literally - no matter how realistic the game tries to be, it isn't constant Kodak Moment weather out there all the time). Just that coming fresh from TLoU 2, the animation work (or lack thereof) is a bit jarring. And yes, I do realize they are two completely different kinds of games and ND can be so much more anal about animation, given the limited scope (as opposed to an open-world game) of the game.

Top Bottom