• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

GymWolf

Never, this is the first time. Yes brother on Pro. Suddenly just got a notification that the game installed something
i readed that people is having some problems with the game installing and the patches.

try to uninstall and reinstall the game.

or maybe you have some funny option activated on the ps4?!

Looks cool, but also really repetitive when I watch gameplay. Can someone who's played give me their opinion?
Everyone's taste is different dawg but here's my take: Side stuff can be repetitive(outposts, patrol, etc) but it's not as grind-heavy or bloated as assassins creed. the beauty of this game makes it worth it for those. But where the game shines is the main story and gameplay. i've never stopped in a game to look around so much lol. And the loading is soo fast for an open-world game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
What parts don't you like?
I played through Days Gone recently and although I enjoyed it I feel like it didn't get really good until late in the game once I started taking on more Hordes (and the game was too long in general).

The combat and even the, admittedly week, stealth in GoT is better than the early parts of Days Gone so far in my opinion. I think Tsushima is a more interesting and beautiful environment to explore as well (although the environments in Days Gone did also look pretty beautiful at times).

I like Days Gone a lot and think it was underrated but don't see how it walks all over GoT. Will definitely be interested to hear where you think it excels over GoT.

It just feels flat and the wind gets in the way for me. When you have an icon on the screen, you can meander and explore to your hearts content, checking now and then to see if you're generally going in the right direction by simply looking where the icon is. Just a quick glance is sufficient. You constantly have to strike up on the touchpad to see if you're going in the right direction and lots of times the wind doesn't give you a definite direction to follow, leading to you having to check the map constantly, orientating your player marker and then continuing. I'm being pulled out of the experience constantly and don't enjoy exploring that much. The game is set up for confrontation. You can see they've done exactly the same as ND with TLOU2 in that stealth isn't really stealth. You can't mark players so you're always having to check where they are. I just want to relax, explore at my leisure and stealth it. You can in Day's Gone, ACO and even TLOU but stealth is now being redefined as 'kill a couple of people, get seen, run away to hide, and then continue stealthing. That ISN'T stealth.

Mista

Banned
i readed that people is having some problems with the game installing and the patches.

try to uninstall and reinstall the game.

or maybe you have some funny option activated on the ps4?!
I don’t think so bro. Every game worked fine up till this one. Which is weird since the HDMI is fine and it was only in my monitor instead of the TV

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

C6VSY6b.gif

JimiNutz

Banned
It just feels flat and the wind gets in the way for me. When you have an icon on the screen, you can meander and explore to your hearts content, checking now and then to see if you're generally going in the right direction by simply looking where the icon is. Just a quick glance is sufficient. You constantly have to strike up on the touchpad to see if you're going in the right direction and lots of times the wind doesn't give you a definite direction to follow, leading to you having to check the map constantly, orientating your player marker and then continuing. I'm being pulled out of the experience constantly and don't enjoy exploring that much. The game is set up for confrontation. You can see they've done exactly the same as ND with TLOU2 in that stealth isn't really stealth. You can't mark players so you're always having to check where they are. I just want to relax, explore at my leisure and stealth it. You can in Day's Gone, ACO and even TLOU but stealth is now being redefined as 'kill a couple of people, get seen, run away to hide, and then continue stealthing. That ISN'T stealth.

It's interesting to see how different people experience games.

For me the guiding wind is one of the best aspects of the game. I rarely, if ever, hit up on the touch pad, I can tell where I need to go from the wind blowing around in general (I just select a destination on my map and go). It's the most seamless 'guide' that I've experienced in an open world game.

The game also makes it clear, to me, where I need to go once I get close to my destination as a small marker appears on the screen. I don't think I've got lost once in 8 hours of gameplay and I very rarely, if ever, swipe up on the touch pad.

Stealth seems kind of weak in the game but it does seem significantly better and more advanced than Days Gone at least. In fairness I rarely use stealth as I enjoy the sword play and try to fight big mobs whenever I can. The sword combat is great in this game and more enjoyable to me than the early encounters in Days Gone.

I like Days Gone but this game is definitely better in my opinion. I'd also say it's better than Horizon Zero Dawn as well but that's another discussion.

CrysisFreak

Banned
As a master of Sekiro I expected to perfect parry everyone but often times I actually just end up blocking. Oomph this game doesn't give bonus points.

Ar¢tos

Never, this is the first time. Yes brother on Pro. Suddenly just got a notification that the game installed something
Out of nowhere, my game started downloading more game data. I preloaded 2 days ago, about 37gb, played this morning, and when I turned the console on in the afternoon it started downloading 2gb more, but game data, as if I only had downloaded 37 out of 39gb. Same patch number and notes.

Peroroncino

Wish there was an option to hide the "Legend Growth" pop-up at the end of the fights, it gets in they way of GIFs when you want to shake the blood of katana quickly, expert hud doesn't help. :(

HotPocket69

Banned
I love following those damn yellow birds and foxes 🥰

The Uncharted like climbing puzzles for shrines are p cool. I feel like the last time I experienced something like that was back with the towers in Far Cry 3.

Cracklox

The one on one boss fights are pretty fucking great so far. Only done 2 but they've both been pretty epic. 2nd one beat my ass around pretty good too, but I wasn't even mad. The settings for them have both been awesome, and gameplay wise, it really lets the swordplay shine.

Games good. Main gripe so far is the dickery involved with getting on and off ladders

Mista

Banned
Out of nowhere, my game started downloading more game data. I preloaded 2 days ago, about 37gb, played this morning, and when I turned the console on in the afternoon it started downloading 2gb more, but game data, as if I only had downloaded 37 out of 39gb. Same patch number and notes.
Maybe it’s that then. Because I already downloaded a 200mb patch then while playing a notification popped saying GoT is installed. Got me confused

SkylineRKR

Game is very good. I like the menus, its all quick and looks good. The overall presentation is awesome. I like the foxes, but the birds not so much.

So far the missions have been good. Its from tower defense to stealth to tailing (much like Judgment, kind of annoying if they turn around and start to look). Some missions are insta fail if you're seen but restarting is quick and checkpoints seem to be really frequent, those missions were rather harmless so far.

What I like less is the encounter design at times. In some early missions you're defending a forge and the enemies just walk in and start to wail on the hostages, which is insta fail if they kill one. I couldn't see where they came from. The good thing is that enemies who are dead set on hostages have a skull above their head which means they're easy to track, you need to prioritize those before you continue the battle.

The AI is kind of bad in general and some combat events just don't flow well. Stealth is very basic, but I don't mind being seen because I like the combat better anyway. And if you unlock smoke bombs etc you can get away if the odds are too overwhelming. The skill trees are pretty awesome so far as they add variety. Give up double stealth kills, firecrackers and smoke bombs for better combat abilities, such choices you need to make. Depends on how you prefer to play.

Last edited:

iorek21

Loving it so far, this game is the model which all open world games need to copy next generation.

The downside is performance and some low quality textures. I think this game should’ve been delayed and released as a PS5 launch title. Combat sometimes is hurt by poor framerate, specially during boss duels, I think I died 5 times at “Unfinished Business” sidequest due to frame drops.

Still, GOTY contender, easily

Bartski

Gold Member
Real quick cause I'm way too busy playing:

- INCREDIBLE environments, vistas would totally blow mind if not for current-gen LOD isses, the PS5 HD will be something else.
- TLOU2 ruined games for me in the animation department. Tons of jank and collision issues on screen of all kinds. Don't bother me much tho 'cause the game is great.
- Never wanna play an open world with a mini map again
- Perfect parry window is tricky but SO GOOD. Combat way worse that I expected on paper, WAY better than I expected in practice.
- Playing 90% samurai, did way to little stealth to say anything but execution combos are the shit
-Tons of skill trees & FASHION
- Gameplay implications of quick respawn clear as day (no problem to die a lot on HARD = more fun)

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I'm playing on hard too... have kunai and a bow now and water stance....

Having a F*****g blast!
This will probably be my game of the year, doesn't have the polish of TLOU2 but the world is so beautiful and interesting and seems to have so much to do. The customization's have so much artistry to them too.

The combat is my favorite thing though, I just upgraded my dueling so I can challenge 2.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Amazing game. Getting distracted with all the “?” That pops on my map. I will definitely platinum this beautiful game

Two things I hate right now, the camera and the bright sun.

Eliciel

I am only 6hours in, but one thing that they really nailed HARD is that the fighting system is easy to learn but very hard to master. Once you master it though, it is stupendously smooth. Never saw something like that before. It feels like a true Samurai Movie once you really are "In the flow" - so damn well choreographed moves!! If they take this game as their basis for a further evolvement and build on it this can become one of THE best Feudal Japan Samurai Games ever created. I thought Onimusha was in a league of its own back in the day, but Ghost just takes this to a completely new level.
All of this is commented on Hard Difficulty, I can imagine it is too easy on other diffs.

Everything else will be commented later on, but that is what I wanted to comment for the time being ;)

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Anyone playing on an LG C9? What are your hdr brightness settings for the game?
The games HDR is wack. The game is designed, graded with inky blacks in mind and high contrast, yet the image is over all dim. During nights, overcast, sunsets, things are too dark/dim with too little contrast withing the darker areas. I have never fiddled so much with my TV settings and ingame brightness as the games weather and day cycle changes.

I have a Sony Z9F LCD and have the ingame brightness at 60-70. On my TV I've been going back and forth with gamma +1~+2 as well as some contrast enhancer.

My opinions is that the HDR is uneven and the ingame lighting model makes it worse. I mean You can see sharp tree shadow on overcast days. You can also at time see the world being more strongly lit than the dim sun in the sky could ever manage. Because it has to run on current hardware with an expansive world they haven't managed to make the illumination consistent and objects can appear out of place, especially if you have an graphics arts background.

Shakka43

This was what Digital Foundry said as well - a lot of the animations are stiff and there is a lot of environment clipping. They mentioned though that most of these problems aren't present in combat, hoping they're right about that.
I'd say they are right, the combat feels pretty responsive and smooth. The animation stiffness happens mostly when walking, and the clipping whit bamboo and thin trees.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoyed my first couple of hours with the game. The atmosphere is 2nd to none, I dig the combat, I'm into Jin's story. Think I'm going to love this one.

It's not as smooth as Last of Us 2. Feels just a little bit more rough around the edges. Don't see that spoiling things though.

Reactions: MrS

McCheese

That moment you realized the fmv logo drop sequence isn't actually fmv and the borders expand to full frame and off you go, put a huge grin on my face. suckerpunch are ending the generation with an absolute banger!

Combat is much better than expected, and Jin is sorta cool and not the complete blank canvas a lot of reviewers made him out to be.

Was a bit on the fence about picking up another full price game so close to tlou2, but the beauty of this game is a real palette cleanser from that disappointment.

cormack12

Gold Member
Only got past the tutorial and first stealth mission. Game seems to blend good art, good combat but still recognise the moment to moment game mechanics have to be solid and non intrusive with their realism. Really well balanced. Had a smile on my face as soon as I took the first mongol down with the sweep kick.

Playing on hard and I find most of my deaths are coming from trying to be perfect in every encounter, and clever chaining which sometimes doesnt quite come off. But its not over punishing, obnoxious or tedious.

Really enjoying the early game, gonna get stuck into the meat of it tomorrow

Top Bottom