• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

Whitecrow

Banned
As far as I know. No game is yet utilizing/respecting that feature.
Yeah, that's what it's said everywhere.

Nevertheless, everytime I re-calibrate, the image looks different. I might be wrong, but if my eyes are anything to go by (and by this time, I trust them), I would say every game passes through that calibration as the last tone mapping step.

You can try it with any game: the more visible the logos are on the white background, the more bright is the overall image on HDR.
Play with it without changing ingame settings, and you should definitely see a difference.

If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to one of your liking for a month.

impressions so far? Unfortunately mine won't be here for a few days.

I'm surprised by it, and I pretty much agree with the reviews. Artistically is amazing, combat have a lot of potential, exploring the world is very relaxing and immersive, but Jin as a main charcter, lacks something, but it's not bad.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned

Nevertheless, everytime I re-calibrate, the image looks different. I might be wrong, but if my eyes are anything to go by (and by this time, I trust them), I would say every game passes through that calibration as the last tone mapping step.

You can try it with any game: the more visible the logos are on the white background, the more bright is the overall image on HDR.
Play with it without changing ingame settings, and you should definitely see a difference.

I'm surprised by it, and I pretty much agree with the reviews. Artistically is amazing, combat have a lot of potential, exploring the world is very relaxing and immersive, but Jin as a main charcter, lacks something, but it's not bad.

I was hoping it would have shipped early to get here the 17th but unfortunately it shipped today. I've been looking forward to this since it was first announced. Thanks a lot. Can't wait for it to get here.

Time to slice Khotun Khan a new pair of buttocks.

IMG-5672.jpg

Bragr

Banned
Some early impressions:

At times, it's almost meditative, the colors and music create a very serene scene if you take your time. On the flip side, once in a while there can be way too many bright colors and movements on the screen, it's can be extremely disorienting with 10 billion bright orange leaves flapping about and the sun shining right into your face.

And lol at the pathfinding on those fucking golden birds, half the time they fly into the ground or cliffsides.

But the game is great, the voice acting is on point, in fact, it's fantastic. And most of the missions so far are solid, combat is really good. And I love the clean hud, the wind guiding you works well.

Bryank75

Banned
Been watching the RadBrad play. Game looks good. Now to decide on whether to buy it now or wait for the inevitable PS5 since sony has not confirmed a free upgrade.
Should be amazing on PS5, you can't go wrong either way.
I am hoping for a higher difficulty and NG+ with more collectibles for PS5 launch. In addition to the graphics and fps bump.

JeloSWE

If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to one of your liking for a month.

It seems like you are correct. I changed my HDR setting on the PS4 to some ridiculous low values, logos were extremely visible (in essence tricking the PS4 HDR output to think I have a TV with very low nits output) and the sun in game was many times dimmer as expected. So this is the first game that where those setting have an effect.

Edit: Tried it again and I'm 100% convinced that the PS4 HDR settings affects GoT.

Sony managed to at least get the last AAA game to obey the setting :D

Last edited:

trikster40

Damn it kinda sucks that it's a japanese dub because the lips don't align with the voices...I'm not sure what to go with. I've only played 2 hours with japanese, did not try english but if anyone played a lot more with both which is better? Obviously japanese voices should be the proper choice in a fucking japanese setting but whenever I look at those cutscenes it ruins the mood and the fact that the facial animation themselves are not that good doesnt help either.

yeah, that’s how I’m playing too. Just hoping they patch it soon. Would just be weird with English voices.

JeloSWE

yeah, that’s how I’m playing too. Just hoping they patch it soon. Would just be weird with English voices.
I'm just regular anime weeb, I know a bit of Japanese, been studying a little bit on a lazy level and almost always go for the Japanese voices but in FF7R I think the English voices were so good I didn't want to switch to the JP version. In GoT I started with the Japanese but then tried the English due to the annoying lip sync issues. I also find it a bit hard following the dialogue when a lot of stuff is happening on screen, there is simply no time to look down and read the subs, I'm in no way fluent but they use a lot historic/archaic conjugations etc so it's even harder without looking at the them. No I think I'll stick with the English for now. Also it's weird hearing One Piece Zoro voice actor as Jin, where is his green hair haha.

Really enjoying the game, but constantly having to take my thumb away from attack and dodge buttons to babysit the camera is literally killing me (well, Jin). So frustrating.

slade

Got a few hours in. Not really all that impressed. Environmental graphics are great but character models are fugly beyond belief and the gameplay so far has been merely ok. Locking onto someone when there are six guys surrounding you while needing camera management is not fun. Sidequest stories are good though. So far its a 6.5 - 7 game. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the opening few hours of Days Gone a lot more.

Anyway, will muddle on. It's just that Sucker Punch sacrificed inFamous for this and so far I don't like this nearly as much as I liked inFamous.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Made it about eight hours in, having a really good time with the game so far. Still in act 1.

The game reminds me (a lot!) of Assassin's Creed Odyssey. A period piece but with a sprinkle of myth thrown in. Combat also feels a lot like AC but has a bit more depth to it (although AC had better weapon variety later on that really made combat more dynamic). Lots of running around, exploring, helping people. I keep expecting NPCs in Tsushima to call me Misthios. This game has that one beat on style and presentation though.

I loved that game and sunk over 200 hours into it, so I can see myself squeezing a ton of time out of this one too. For now, I'm just exploring the island and taking my time.

trikster40

I'm just regular anime weeb, I know a bit of Japanese, been studying a little bit on a lazy level and almost always go for the Japanese voices but in FF7R I think the English voices were so good I didn't want to switch to the JP version. In GoT I started with the Japanese but then tried the English due to the annoying lip sync issues. I also find it a bit hard following the dialogue when a lot of stuff is happening on screen, there is simply no time to look down and read the subs, I'm in no way fluent but they use a lot historic/archaic conjugations etc so it's even harder without looking at the them. No I think I'll stick with the English for now. Also it's weird hearing One Piece Zoro voice actor as Jin, where is his green hair haha.

English voices good? I heard they were, maybe I’ll give that a try. I completely agree about the subs, I miss a lot when it starts getting crazy.

JeloSWE

English voices good? I heard they were, maybe I’ll give that a try. I completely agree about the subs, I miss a lot when it starts getting crazy.
Sure, English main cast seem to be done by Asians so you get that fitting accent.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Therefore, the japanese Assassin's Creed we always wanted but wouldn't get from Ubisoft.

giphy.gif
luckly they decided this year's Assasins Creed game to have Viking theme..imagine if they hear fans plea and doing Japanese theme of Assasins Creed and it coincide to release this year with Ghost of Tsushima

Arkam

I’m still in act one. I have been playing for 9 hours straight. Love how the game makes you want to explore instead of just rushing to main quests

Great game. Time to push a little bit in the main story for the sake of it.
Pretty much the same. Been playing all day and avoiding all the "Jin's Journey" Tales and just exploring and doing the Tales of Tsushima... tales. After this much riding I can say with absolute certainty, the map is plenty big. I have only explored about 1/10 of Izuhara.

Komatsu

My policy is to always play a game with the audio set to the language of those who created and mo-capped it. I know this is a tale set in Kamakura shogunate Japan, but the actors and the original cast are all American, so I playing it in English. And I say this as someone who has worked in Japan and speaks and reads a fair bit of Japanese.

G-Bus

Banned
Download should be done in about half an hour. Kids in bed, wife's going to bed soon. Bowl is packed.

This better be good GAF. You fuckers are great at over hyping games.

To be fare I've had my eye on this since day 1.

I’m still in act one. I have been playing for 9 hours straight. Love how the game makes you want to explore instead of just rushing to main quests

Great game. Time to push a little bit in the main story for the sake of it.
This is pretty much me, I've played for 7 hours now and I've done the assassin and bow quests as well as the Heavy Strike one. I'm just walking around, coming across fox dens, yellow birds and occupied camps. I'm not even riding much... just walking through the world and taking everything in. I also enjoyed Death Stranding because of this slow pace.

I also found something that bugged me a lot: Jin clips through every Bamboo tree. It's not bad when there's only one or two trees, but when you clip through the whole Bamboo forest then it becomes jarring. lol. I wonder why they decided to do that.

devDemonik

Neo Member
This game is pretty fricken awesome. Was thinking just a while how cool it would be to have an Assassin's Creed based on the Mongol/Japanese war, but this is way, way better.

DavidGzz

Why is water so bad in games these days? Game looks gorgeous overall but water is just meh, especially the water interaction:

It was pretty great in AC Origins and then took a step back in Odyssey. Even the UE5 tech demo had terrible water. I think running through mud and puddles in Ghost looks great. The large bodies of water, not so much. Sea of Thieves has insane water though so I guess it depends on how much of the power they want to use on it. It will keep getting better over the years, I'm sure

hollams

Gold Member
I wish all games, especially open world games, would have an auto walk/run button. On PC I'm able to accomplish that with some joystick emulation software, but I'm really missing that on the PS4.

I'm enjoying the game, but it's not grabbing me for some reason. I've played about 3 hours and I'm already tired of the golden birds and foxes. I like what they did with the UI and how you open up locations on the map by exploration, but with the birds and the foxes it takes part of that exploration away. I know I can ignore them but they constantly make noise when I'm in their vicinity and if I'm already running where they are showing me they will circle around me. I wish they were a toggle option or like they do the artifacts where there is clothing you can wear that will rumble your controller when you are near something so if you did't want to be lead by the game you would not wear it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This combat system is legitimately bad, and especially so on boss fights. Fighting a boss and he just spams repeated unlockables and and also instantly follow up unblocakables with quick slices. If you dodge the unlockable and strike it doesnt usually hit stun at all and he just slices you anyway.

And it looks like they took the same enemy AI from infamous SS. The archers all have nearly perfect aim from so far away I cant even see them and just follow the missile trails as they fly past.

Shakka43

This combat system is legitimately bad, and especially so on boss fights. Fighting a boss and he just spams repeated unlockables and and also instantly follow up unblocakables with quick slices. If you dodge the unlockable and strike it doesnt usually hit stun at all and he just slices you anyway.

And it looks like they took the same enemy AI from infamous SS. The archers all have nearly perfect aim from so far away I cant even see them and just follow the missile trails as they fly past.
This came to my mind right away too, as soon as the archers first appeared.

On the rest I can't agree, I'm finding the sword combat pretty satisfying.

Bryank75

Banned
This came to my mind right away too, as soon as the archers first appeared.

On the rest I can't agree, I'm finding the sword combat pretty satisfying.
Yes, the archers are stupidly accurate... kinda unfairly!?

I love the sword fighting though, so so satisfying. I have quite a bit of gear now though... even kunai, bombs and smake. But usually I slice em up pretty fast.

The mythic tales are the best IMO.

SinDelta

Yeah exploring the world is amazing.

Even being ambushed by bandits and having a swordfight amidst the falling golden leaves glowing from the setting sun.

It was like watching a incredible painting in motion and that's why I got distracted and ganked lol.

Last edited:

Rikoi

The archers accuracy is the only thing they have to be dangerous to be honest.
You can avoid every arrow by just continuosly tapping circle, then get close to them following the trail and kill them with two hits.
Usually they are the first target I go for since they can be annoying if you get distracted by melee targets, but they are easy to kill.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

It would be great if npc bows back to you if you bow them lol.

Wait, they aren't bowing back in your game? The only ones who haven't bowed back to me were crying or sitting and looking away from me.

I'm all about deflecting in this, just unlocked the ability to deflect the spear thrusts, so good! I have the timing down to where I almost never fail. So, the bombs are op, I just ran my horse up to a large group threw a bomb as I ran past and killed all but one who was staggered. The first time I just fought them straight on and died to the last guy so going back for revenge like that was amazingly satisfying. This may be my overall favorite fighting system now. There are just so many ways of going about encounters and it all feels so good.

The archers accuracy is the only thing they have to be dangerous to be honest.
You can avoid every arrow by just continuosly tapping circle, then get close to them following the trail and kill them with two hits.
Usually they are the first target I go for since they can be annoying if you get distracted by melee targets, but they are easy to kill.

I always did that first, almost like taking out the mage first in a RPG but now I have arrow deflect when I block so I take my time and save those fuckers for last lol

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Waited on GAF impressions, but this sounds like a buy, yeah?

As Bryank75 Bryank75 said there are definitely some legitimate criticisms that a few people don't seem to be able to get over (mainly the camera and lack of lock on in combat).

I haven't had any issue with it personally and reading through the thread it seems as though the majority of us are able to overlook this minor flaw and enjoy the combat.

If you have any interest in Samurai then I think you'll enjoy the game. Riding around 13th century Tsushima is incredibly serene and the environments are really beautiful and fun to explore. I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy the game.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Wait, they aren't bowing back in your game? The only ones who haven't bowed back to me were crying or sitting and looking away from me.

I'm all about deflecting in this, just unlocked the ability to deflect the spear thrusts, so good! I have the timing down to where I almost never fail. So, the bombs are op, I just ran my horse up to a large group threw a bomb as I ran past and killed all but one who was staggered. The first time I just fought them straight on and died to the last guy so going back for revenge like that was amazingly satisfying. This may be my overall favorite fighting system now. There are just so many ways of going about encounters and it all feels so good.

I always did that first, almost like taking out the mage first in a RPG but now I have arrow deflect when I block so I take my time and save those fuckers for last lol
Some bow some don't. Some bow without you even bowing first.
So they are not all the same.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
As Bryank75 Bryank75 said there are definitely some legitimate criticisms that a few people don't seem to be able to get over (mainly the camera and lack of lock on in combat).

I haven't had any issue with it personally and reading through the thread it seems as though the majority of us are able to overlook this minor flaw and enjoy the combat.

If you have any interest in Samurai then I think you'll enjoy the game. Riding around 13th century Tsushima is incredibly serene and the environments are really beautiful and fun to explore. I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy the game.
Some of the criticisms here are valid.... camera is a bit finicky, a few glitches and so on...

I'd recommend it but you know I love my PS exclusives and all of that!

Is there anyone who often lines up with your taste in games that could give you an opinion?

Cool, drawbacks sound manageable, and definitely into the setting. I’ll pick it up. Thanks guys.

Top Bottom