• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GhostRunner PS5/XSX/XSS DF Performance Analysis

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Threads like these are a battle for establishing an echochamber. Its not about discussion or truth its about the desire to establish a narrative.

Such as

• Neither console is more powerful, they both have there strengths and weaknesses
  • One console is more powerful because the specs show this, which has been the case for decades.
  • Its more about dev environment and software.
  • Its a combination of all of these

I think its just a case that more work is needed for the xbox series versions.
The xbox series is a more complecated platform then the PS5. Theres two different platform (the s + x) for xbox and the RAMs are configured differently. We also dont know when work was started for this game, pehaps work started later on xbox.

So imo I think its definitely a case of software and logistics. Devs have said that the PS environment is easier to work with.

It takes more effort to port a game from PC to PS5 than from PC to Xbox. The latter is basically a single mouse click (if you're lazy).

The game runs like shit on both XSX and XSS. The devs clearly didn't put any effort into the port. The game was/is buggy on PC too, with random performance drops even on high end PCs.

Sample size of 2 isn't indicative of much

Edit
Also it's very clear Xbox didn't receive proper optimisation, and PlayStation did. This isn't time or effort, it's that this twitch play fast paced game which basically needs 60fps isn't a lock on Xbox and it is on ps5. I don't care if the Xbox version runs at half res and low settings to get locked 60, but absolutely nothing was done to get a locked fps. The 2 versions have what looks like exact same settings, but one runs like shit. That's a lazy job done no matter how you slice it.
Wouldnt this indicates its an advantage for deployment of code on the PS5 vs the XsX? Also didnt Cerny say its easier to fill less, faster CUs with work? Could this be an instance where this is playing out? If the devs have to spend extra time with the XsX to get it to run AT THE SAME LEVEL as the PS5 i dont see how you can conclude anything else, unless you're into conspiracies.

Md Ray

Sample size of 2 isn't indicative of much

Edit
Also it's very clear Xbox didn't receive proper optimisation, and PlayStation did. This isn't time or effort, it's that this twitch play fast paced game which basically needs 60fps isn't a lock on Xbox and it is on ps5. I don't care if the Xbox version runs at half res and low settings to get locked 60, but absolutely nothing was done to get a locked fps. The 2 versions have what looks like exact same settings, but one runs like shit. That's a lazy job done no matter how you slice it.
Apart from shader compilation-related stutters, I don't think the PC version itself has any issues like random perf drops, those who are experiencing it must have something going on with their PCs or maybe it's those kinds of idiots who crank each and every setting up to max and expect 144+fps at 4K. When their HW clearly can't, they go on the internet and whine about it on Reddit or whatever. There are people who expect every new game to just run at 100+fps on Ultra Max w/ RT at some super high resolutions just because they spent a shit ton of $$$ on their shiny new PC. It doesn't work like that. These people need to keep their expectations in check.

Having said that, I do think the RT option provided (on PC) in the settings menu is a bit lackluster. It clearly needs additional sub-options so users can tweak, enable/disable all the in-game RT features and its settings more granularly. Right now, you can do that with this tool as Alex showed in his Ghostrunner vid. I'm sure you can even use it to set console equivalent RT settings which would give you 60+fps at 4K on RTX 3060 and above. As for the Xbox version, we'll see if devs come out with a patch. They certainly need to fix the incorrect 60fps motion on Series S.

Last edited:
Threads like these are a battle for establishing an echochamber. Its not about discussion or truth its about the desire to establish a narrative.

Such as

• Neither console is more powerful, they both have there strengths and weaknesses
  • One console is more powerful because the specs show this, which has been the case for decades.
  • Its more about dev environment and software.
  • Its a combination of all of these
In general discourse and debate, yes the idea is to have a core value or argument then present fact, opinions, evidence to pursade other who dont share your opinion. Thats kinda the point of a forum no?

DualSense rumble is simple to support
Have you implemented it in a game before? It's pretty clear time was spent optimizing the PS5 version of the game over anything else. There is no technical reason the XSX and PS5 versions of the game should not at the very least have parity as demonstrated numerous times.

is this a serious question?... it's clearly the system that sells the most 3rd party games right now... how else could you explain that every other version until now was a complete mess at launch and some versions still are to this day, and only the PS5 version seems to be fine?
Exactly. Devs know there are simply more PS5 consoles sold right now. If they are going to take time to optimize any title it would be the PS5 version.

It takes more effort to port a game from PC to PS5 than from PC to Xbox. The latter is basically a single mouse click (if you're lazy).

The game runs like shit on both XSX and XSS. The devs clearly didn't put any effort into the port. The game was/is buggy on PC too, with random performance drops even on high end PCs.
This is the gift and curse with the XDK. You can easily get multiple versions of games but if optimization isn't done you get situations like this one. Maybe the devs will patch it but I remain skeptical.

Sosokrates

In general discourse and debate, yes the idea is to have a core value or argument then present fact, opinions, evidence to pursade other who dont share your opinion. Thats kinda the point of a forum no?

The problem is it just turns into people arguing which speculation is correct.
We simply lack the information to give a truthful explanation.

onQ123

Have you implemented it in a game before? It's pretty clear time was spent optimizing the PS5 version of the game over anything else. There is no technical reason the XSX and PS5 versions of the game should not at the very least have parity as demonstrated numerous times.

Exactly. Devs know there are simply more PS5 consoles sold right now. If they are going to take time to optimize any title it would be the PS5 version.

This is the gift and curse with the XDK. You can easily get multiple versions of games but if optimization isn't done you get situations like this one. Maybe the devs will patch it but I remain skeptical.
There is plenty of technical reasons for some games to run different on these consoles you clearly don't know the specs beyond the TF number if you think otherwise.

Sosokrates

Wouldnt this indicates its an advantage for deployment of code on the PS5 vs the XsX? Also didnt Cerny say its easier to fill less, faster CUs with work? Could this be an instance where this is playing out? If the devs have to spend extra time with the XsX to get it to run AT THE SAME LEVEL as the PS5 i dont see how you can conclude anything else, unless you're into conspiracies.

There are many potential reasons for why the xsx is performing worse. There is literally nothing indicating that it maybe because of the advantages of less cus on the PS5.
I mean people can come up with lots of reasons and because we dont know, personal bias will determine which direction somone may go, so its pretty pointless because we just dont know.

Speculation can be fun, but somtimes its just going to result in disagreement and frustration.

Last edited:
There is plenty of technical reasons for some games to run different on these consoles you clearly don't know the specs beyond the TF number if you think otherwise.
The poor performance on both PC and Xbox indicates this title needed more optimization. Only one platform received that optimization thus far. Specs and TF have little to do with it. Again I am talking parity not an advantage.

Tripolygon

Banned
Some of you are just unbelievable.

How it started: The tools are not ready
How it's going: The tools are so easy, one-click port but developers are so lazy to optimize.

You are a dumbass if you truly believe that shit.

Reality 1: Xbox and PC share the same API and should be easier to port and optimize for a game moving from DirectX on PC to DirectX on Xbox. You spend more time tuning and optimizing rather than getting the game up and running.

Reality 2: Sony knew cross-platform games target PC and directX as a baseline so they created PSSL to be very close to HLSL to make it easy to port from DirectX to GNM. GNM is just better than DirectX at some things. It is not a new phenomenon.

Reality 3: Cross-platform development is a one-click compilation for each platform using a majority of the same code base but with some platform-specific optimizations. Unreal Engine on PC and Xbox is the same Unreal Engine on PlayStation. Each platform API translates the draw call for that platform but hooks into the same game engine and codebase.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

The poor performance on both PC and Xbox indicates this title needed more optimization. Only one platform received that optimization thus far. Specs and TF have little to do with it. Again I am talking parity not an advantage.

They need to give the coalition a call, they know how to get great performance with UE4 on series consoles.

My comment has nothing to do with that. A stable fps for this game especially is very important, the fact they did nothing to get a stable FPS shows they didn't do enough. Bare minimum is lower res and settings, yet that was not done either.
Apart from shader compilation-related stutters, I don't think the PC version itself has any issues like random perf drops, those who are experiencing it must have something going on with their PCs or maybe it's those kinds of idiots who crank each and every setting up to max and expect 144+fps at 4K. When their HW clearly can't, they go on the internet and whine about it on Reddit or whatever. There are people who expect every new game to just run at 100+fps on Ultra Max w/ RT at some super high resolutions just because they spent a shit ton of $$$ on their shiny new PC. It doesn't work like that. These people need to keep their expectations in check.

Having said that, I do think the RT option provided (on PC) in the settings menu is a bit lackluster. It clearly needs additional sub-options so users can tweak, enable/disable all the in-game RT features and its settings more granularly. Right now, you can do that with this tool as Alex showed in his Ghostrunner vid. I'm sure you can even use it to set console equivalent RT settings which would give you 60+fps at 4K on RTX 3060 and above. As for the Xbox version, we'll see if devs come out with a patch. They certainly need to fix the incorrect 60fps motion on Series S.
There are many many many posts of people getting 100+ fps drops at 1080p low on a 2080ti. The game regardless of yours and Alex's experience has issues.

Md Ray

There are many many many posts of people getting 100+ fps drops at 1080p low on a 2080ti. The game regardless of yours and Alex's experience has issues.
Problem with their PCs then. There are "many many" Reddit posts for every new PC port, even for games like DOOM Eternal, Gears 5. Does that mean these are bad ports?
The poor performance on both PC and Xbox indicates this title needed more optimization.
Lol, the PC version is fine. Watch Alex's vid.

Last edited:
Lol, the PC version is fine. Watch Alex's vid.

all that is clear is that this game is a mess, and if it runs good on one platform they clearly gave it more attention. anyone who played this on PC (which I am one of them) knows how absolutely dogshit this game runs in some levels.
there are literally parts in this game where every single time you move the mouse, your framerate basically drops by 50%... but ONLY if you move your mouse/turn the camera... not if you walk backwards, forwards, side to side or jump... only if you turn the camera.

when the game first launched on PS4 pro, it ran like ass and the resolution was below 900p

then the RT implementation, not only does it look like shit, it also tanks performance on PC like crazy... fucking Cyberpunk 2077 with RT turned to max runs better than Ghostrunner
LOL! Doesn't seem like fine to me but perhaps we have different standards.

My comment has nothing to do with that. A stable fps for this game especially is very important, the fact they did nothing to get a stable FPS shows they didn't do enough. Bare minimum is lower res and settings, yet that was not done either.

??? The first line of your edit " Also it's very clear Xbox didn't receive proper optimisation, and PlayStation did"

The problem is it just turns into people arguing which speculation is correct.
We simply lack the information to give a truthful explanation.
Speculation in fine and normal with discourse, if it wasnt conversation would never push forward as nobody knows everything about everything even collectively. You present fact and evidence when appropriate and speculate to fill in the gaps, its ok to have an opinion not supported by facts it only becomes an issue if one believes thier opinion is more valuable than someone else's and when this occurs thats where moderators come in.

Md Ray

LOL! Doesn't seem like fine to me but perhaps we have different standards.
I've already replied to 01011001 01011001 's post (see below) addressing the "mess" he/she is talking about. It's not really an "issue", again, Alex has shown in his PC vid how you can easily tweak RT settings individually which would potentially allow you to get an even more consistent frame rate than PS5 with the right HW, lol. Idk why you guys constantly keep ignoring this. Probably because it goes against your narrative that somehow the Xbox version is bad because the PC version is "bad" when in actual fact the PC version is much much better with the only minor niggle being the lack of additional RT options.
On PC, you can use the Universal Unreal Engine 4 Unlocker tool to unlock the command console for all UE4 games where you can adjust each individual RT and other settings more granularly.

Here's Alex's vid on it (timestamped):

Really, have you tested the PC version? See this:

Last edited:
Yes PlayStation is solid fps. How do you not understand that?
I guess i am assuming your stance on "very clear Xbox didn't receive proper optimisation" stems from the argument that it is harder to develop for XsX than PS5 and thus my conclusion; well isnt that an advantage for PS5? If thats not the case disregard but then its confusing when you phrase it "very clear" when its not so clear.

Last edited:
I've already replied to 01011001 01011001 's post (see below) addressing the "mess" he/she is talking about. It's not really an "issue", again, Alex has shown in his PC vid how you can easily tweak RT settings individually which would potentially allow you to get an even more consistent frame rate than PS5 with the right HW, lol. Idk why you guys constantly keep ignoring this.
Let's take what you say as the truth. Tweaking can improve the performance of the game on PC just like optimizationd can improve the performance of the game on Xbox. PS5 got those optimizations and Xbox did not. There is no technical reason for the issues the Xbox versions of this game has outside of a lack of developer optimizations.

Rivet

Every time the PS5 performs better it's because devs are lazy or it was optimized better on PS5. That makes no sense.

Most of the time devs optimize their games for every platform in the same way. It's easy, all those platforms are x86 machines after all... They have no reason to favor one platform over the other one.

At some point you have to admit that the platform is just better in some ways than the competition if it regularly performs better.

That's actually what devs told you from day one: each next gen platform will perform slightly better in some cases and slightly worse in others, there's no clear winner here. It's just the way it is. The sooner people acknowledge that, the better they'll feel.

Ultimately, both are great and art direction and devs talent will be the differenciator again. That's the area where MS has to play catch up. Hardware won't ever be a differentiator anymore now that diminishing returns are here anyway.

Last edited:
I guess i am assuming your stance on "very clear Xbox didn't receive proper optimisation" stems from the argument that it is harder to develop for XsX than PS5 and thus my conclusion; well isnt that an advantage for PS5? If thats not the case disregard but then its confusing when you phrase it "very clear" when its not so clear.
I don't know about any of that. I don't develop games. What I do know in this game FPS is closely tied to resolution. I also know this game benefits greatly from better fps. The bare minimum they could of done is dropped resolution to achieve stable fps. The fact they didn't do the bare minimum shows they didn't optimize properly. The ps5 version is totally irrelevant to this.

Md Ray

Let's take what you say as the truth. Tweaking can improve the performance of the game on PC just like optimizationd can improve the performance of the game on Xbox. PS5 got those optimizations and Xbox did not. There is no technical reason for the issues the Xbox versions of this game has outside of a lack of developer optimizations.
Maybe. We'll see, but HW-wise there are indeed technical reasons as to why the PS5 can sometimes be on par or outperform XSX as stated by the Touryst dev for e.g. PS5's GPU runs at a higher clock speed therefore parts of its GPU receive a 22% higher throughput than XSX GPU, triangle rasterization being one of them. He also made mention of the memory setup which on PS5 is a consistent 448GB/s of memory bandwidth across 16GB, unlike SX where the 6GB of its memory address range is slower, at 336GB/s. Also, please stop with your false narrative that PC version isn't optimized just because your favorite plastic box is sub-par. Lacking a few RT knobs =/= bad optimization.

Last edited:
I don't know about any of that. I don't develop games. What I do know in this game FPS is closely tied to resolution. I also know this game benefits greatly from better fps. The bare minimum they could of done is dropped resolution to achieve stable fps. The fact they didn't do the bare minimum shows they didn't optimize properly. The ps5 version is totally irrelevant to this.
XSX forgoing better performance for resolution has been a theme all generation. Maybe its not so easy to just lower res to get better FPS for XSX?

Maybe. We'll see, but HW-wise there are indeed technical reasons as to why the PS5 can sometimes be on par or outperform XSX as stated by the Touryst dev for e.g. PS5's GPU runs at a higher clock speed therefore parts of its GPU receive a 22% higher throughput than XSX GPU, triangle rasterization being one of them. He also made mention of the memory setup which on PS5 is a consistent 448GB/s of memory bandwidth across 16GB, unlike SX where the 6GB of its address memory range is slower, at 336GB/s. Also, please stop with your false narrative that PC version isn't optimized just because your favorite plastic box is sub-par. Lacking a few RT knobs =/= bad optimization.
PC version at launch was riddled with issues and some took months to resolve. You ignoring this doesn't make it not true.
Then why did they not do it?
No clue. All I know is they didn't do the bare minimum.

Vognerful

Every time the PS5 performs better it's because devs are lazy or it was optimized better on PS5. That makes no sense.

Most of the time devs optimize their games for every platform in the same way. It's easy, all those platforms are x86 machines after all... They have no reason to favor one platform over the other one.

At some point you have to admit that the platform is just better in some ways than the competition if it regularly performs better.

That's actually what devs told you from day one: each next gen platform will perform slightly better in some cases and slightly worse in others, there's no clear winner here. It's just the way it is. The sooner people acknowledge that, the better they'll feel.

Ultimately, both are great and art direction and devs talent will be the differenciator again. That's the area where MS has to play catch up. Hardware won't ever be a differentiator anymore now that diminishing returns are here anyway.
I can't stop laughing because you know you don't believe any of what you just said.

In one statement you just said the PS5 performs better regularly? And then when ahead and said how some games will perform better.

Please pick your stance.

PC version at launch was riddled with issues and some took months to resolve. You ignoring this doesn't make it not true.

No clue. All I know is they didn't do the bare minimum.
So the fact that the fps is not consistent is evidence that the devs did nothing to make the game playable on the XSX? Isn't it just as logical to deduce they did do thier due diligence however the results are what we see? As you said you are not a dev so why are you assuming you can "easily" slide a toggle and bam locked 60. There are severe flaws in you logic.

Rivet

I can't stop laughing because you know you don't believe any of what you just said.

In one statement you just said the PS5 performs better regularly? And then when ahead and said how some games will perform better.

Please pick your stance.

My stance is pretty clear. Like multiple devs said, some games will perform better on XSX, some others will perform better on PS5.

Last edited:
So the fact that the fps is not consistent is evidence that the devs did nothing to make the game playable on the XSX? Isn't it just as logical to deduce they did do thier due diligence however the results are what we see? As you said you are not a dev so why are you assuming you can "easily" slide a toggle and bam locked 60. There are severe flaws in you logic.
Funny on my PC I can just slide a toggle and bam locked FPS. Again the 120 fps mode shows it's that easy

Vognerful

My stance is pretty clear. Like multiple devs said, some games will perform better on XSX, some others will perform better on PS5.
So would you take the same stance on games where XSX performs better similar to now? Saying that those who don't accept are making excuses to Sony and PS5?

Rivet

So would you take the same stance on games where XSX performs better similar to now? Saying that those who don't accept are making excuses to Sony and PS5?

Of course I would. There was another point in my post. Those hardware battles are a thing of the past. Game versions will look more and more near identical.

There's no excuse to make for anybody, that's the way diminishing returns work. Differentiating PS5 and XSX versions will always be mostly about splitting hair.

Last edited:

Md Ray

There is a non-RT 60fps mode too. It is stable on XSX.

Last edited:
Holy fuck you dense. The 120 fps mode proves lower res increases fps. Stop being dumb
Ah the classic "I have no argument so let me throw some personal insults" phase. Good talk...

Fyi im not arguing that lowering res makes the fps go up. I merely questioning your logic that it is so easy and the devs for some unknown reason chose not to implement this "easy" " bare minimum" fix.

Last edited:
Ah the classic "I have no argument so let me throw some personal insults" phase. Good talk...

Fyi im not arguing that lowering res makes the fps go up. I merely questioning your logic that it is so easy and the devs for some unknown reason chose not to implement this "easy" " bare minimum" fix.
Because native 4k makes dumb people happy

Because native 4k makes dumb people happy
Ok we can use that premise. Why then if the target is 4k to appease " dumb people" does the result of one platform produce 60fps and the other not 60 fps? Your stance is its lazy devs that wont do the bare minimum. My stance is IN THIS GAME one platform can do it while the other cant and the one that cant needs more optimization than the one that can. What they settled on was the result of thier optimization we dont know if it was alot, a little, easy or hard, to say otherwise is wishful thinking.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
OK, how so we put this in perspective. Imagine you have 2 gpus one is less CUs but faster GHz like a 6700xt then you had one with more CUs but with a slower GHz but is known on paper to be more powerful like a 6800 xt.

You put one in one OS and one in another and the one with more CUs but runs slower performs worse. Everyone knows the 6800xt is the more powerful card but it just doesn't add up.

Can someone show me a gpu from the same generation and family that has more CUs and a slower speed but is known to the whole computing world that it is more powerful that is seen as a weaker card? It simply doesn't happen.

There must be something at play here. There is no reason if the consoles are developed for properly that they shouldn't be more or less identical with a potential small fps or resolution difference between the two. Not something as big as what we are seeing here.

How big is the team that made this game?

Last edited:

Radical_3d

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity
What a classic GAF gif. This user knows his history.

OK, how so we put this in perspective. Imagine you have 2 gpus one is less CUs but faster GHz like a 6700xt then you had one with more CUs but with a slower GHz but is known on paper to be more powerful like a 6800 xt.

You put one in one OS and one in another and the one with more CUs but runs slower performs worse. Everyone knows the 6800xt is the more powerful card but it just doesn't add up.

Can someone show me a gpu from the same generation and family that has more CUs and a slower speed but is known to the whole computing world that it is more powerful that is seen as a weaker card? It simply doesn't happen.

There must be something at play here. There is no reason if the consoles are developed for properly that they shouldn't be more or less identical with a potential small fps or resolution difference between the two. Not something as big as what we are seeing here.

How big is the team that made this game?
That analogy is flawed because its not so clear the XsX is in all ways more powerful than the PS5. If that was the case your post would have merit. This IMO is the result of the PS5s gpu being better in some aspects.

Edit: Hitman 3 is an example of the inverse.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That analogy is flawed because its not so clear the XsX is in all ways more powerful than the PS5. If that was the case your post would have merit. This IMO is the result of the PS5s gpu being better in some aspects.

Edit: Hitman 3 is an example of the inverse.

I'm from a pc background so it's all I know lol.

I thought hitman 3 was a considerably higher resolution on xbox than ps5?

Top Bottom