• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GI.Biz] Hogwarts Legacy surpasses Elden Ring in UK after 5 weeks

Kev Kev

I was not expecting this game to do so well. It wasn't even on my radar tbh. Congrats to the devs. I'm looking forward to playing it, sounds like my kind of game.

I was not expecting this game to do so well. It wasn't even on my radar tbh. Congrats to the devs. I'm looking forward to playing it, sounds like my kind of game.
as a HP fan who has been begging for a new game for years, i never expected it to be this good lol. i was always going to buy it but i was worried it would suck. my GOTY is going to be either Hogwarts or Zelda.

feynoob

We are getting closer boys.
FwEjz1D_d.webp

Last edited:

Saber

And thats how things should be. Good games selling, people have fun and Harry Potter universe being as popular as ever.

Last edited:
We haven't heard anything about its performance in the US. It's always UK and Europe. How is it doing in the US compared to other big games?

Flutta

Banned
This game doesn't have the name "Harry Potter" on the cover. The Harry Potter games sold less than this.
True. But it’s still associated with Harry Potter which is a mega franchise in itself.

Are you telling me the success of this game has nothing to do with the Harry Potter franchise? Or are you telling me that if this game didn’t have any association with Harry Potter it would still achive the same success?

Mr Moose

True. But it’s still associated with Harry Potter which is a mega franchise in itself.

Are you telling me the success of this game has nothing to do with the Harry Potter franchise? Or are you telling me that if this game didn’t have any association with Harry Potter it would still achive the same success?
That's not the only reason though, sure it helps but there's plenty of big IP games that don't sell so good, it's like when people said the same thing about Spider-Man on PS4 "oh because it's Spider-Man!" but the Activision Spider-Man multiplat games didn't do as well as the PS exclusive Spider-Man.

Flutta

Banned
That's not the only reason though, sure it helps but there's plenty of big IP games that don't sell so good, it's like when people said the same thing about Spider-Man on PS4 "oh because it's Spider-Man!" but the Activision Spider-Man multiplat games didn't do as well as the PS exclusive Spider-Man.
Sure there’re alot of factors that help sell a game, but what i’m saying is that if this game wasn’t associated with Harry Potter it wouldn’t have had the same success imo. So In this case it helped alot.

Spider man is a good example. It sold well during the act days even if it had alot quality issues. Also it’s hard to compare the gaming market in those days with today, you can’t have a clare cut comparison like that due to alot of factors in play.

The power of a brand name can carry a product even if said product is trash. See Pokemon. 🤣

Top Bottom