• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GI.Biz] Hogwarts Legacy surpasses Elden Ring in UK after 5 weeks

Dazraell

Not all games has the name ”Harry Potter” on the cover. Just sayin 🤣

Bruh, you can say a lot of things, but this success wasn't earned only because of the name on a cover. If this would be a case, Fantastic Beasts 3 would be a much bigger success and entire franchise wouldn't be shelved. This movie not only had the lowest box office out of all current Wizarding World movies, but it was about half of what first movie earned

You sure? I don't see it anywhere, boycott worked bros

ah reeee, you never cease to amaze me with your delusional craziness :messenger_tears_of_joy:

AZHyCNp.jpg

Very well deserved! Normal people just want to live their lives and then have a little bit of down time with a little bit of entertainment, whether its movies, shows, and yes video games. They don't want to be bombarded all the time and everytime about some crazy real world stuff.

5. Use the most popular IP of the last few decades

Don't pretend Harry Potter games were selling anywhere near this well before Hogwarts Legacy, lol.

Sure there’re alot of factors that help sell a game, but what i’m saying is that if this game wasn’t associated with Harry Potter it wouldn’t have had the same success imo. So In this case it helped alot.

Spider man is a good example. It sold well during the act days even if it had alot quality issues. Also it’s hard to compare the gaming market in those days with today, you can’t have a clare cut comparison like that due to alot of factors in play.

The power of a brand name can carry a product even if said product is trash. See Pokemon. 🤣

What? Activision didn't get the franchise until 2000, before that Spider man wasn't a big seller. But didn't start selling big until 2002 with the reboot game based off the reboot film, which became an unexpected success with positive to mixed reviews, and then they improved and peaked with Spider man 2, and after that had a decline in sales for games leading up to Spider man 3, which also flopped.

So I have no clue what you're talking about in regards to the brand doing the selling here. If anything you would have a better argument bringing up the politics surrounding the game instead of the "brand name" lol.

Harry Potter wasn't selling hot cakes before, and neither was Spider Man in the Activision games outside the games with good ratings. They had to built to those bigger successes.

I mean the last 3 non-mobile Harry Potter games before Hogwarts Legacy were Kinect and Move games. Before that Deathly Hollows and half prince basically didn't do much of anything.

If the Brand Name was the reason we would have seen results previously to show for it.

Last edited:

mxbison

Don't pretend Harry Potter games were selling anywhere near this well before Hogwarts Legacy, lol.

And? Star Wars or Marvel games don't always sell well either.

It's still a massive IP and important aspect of the game. Nothing other than the world is special about this game.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Honestly, I bought it to piss off the blue hairy potheads and I platinum'ed it to really show it. I'm not at all into the Harry Potter universe, but the game turned out to be pretty good and reminded me a lot of Fable 2.
8/10

Tsaki

Is this sales, total sales? If so, how close is it to 20 million unit?
It is strictly UK sales data. It surpassed ER in the UK. Considering it was at 12m after 2 weeks, I'd say it's at ~15m now. Also there is probably a sales relationship with PS5 console sales. The more PS5s are sold, there will be uptick in Hogwarts numbers.

Laieon

You sure? I don't see it anywhere, boycott worked bros

ah reeee, you never cease to amaze me with your delusional craziness :messenger_tears_of_joy:

My favorite part of this is I'm pretty sure a lot of them claimed to be boycotting the World Cup too, and yet they're not censoring FIFA.

Can't believe Elden Ring is bombing like this.

It's time for them to circle back to their real masterpiece and give us Lost Kingdoms 3.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
5. Use the most popular IP of the last few decades

It's a decent game and great effort for their first project of this scale, but let's be honest, behind the beautiful world is pretty much a Ubisoft game.
The Ubi formula isn't inherently bad. If it's done right it's great. Spiderman, Tsushima, etc... That's why so many games use it.

Also being popluar didn't help Avengers.

Last edited:

Laieon

The Ubi formula isn't inherently bad. If it's done right it's great. Spiderman, Tsushima, etc... That's why so many games use it.

Also being popluar didn't help Avengers.

Yeah, I don't mind the ubi formula as long as it doesn't overstay it's welcome. It gets old in Assassin's Creed because that game doesn't know when to end. It doesn't get in Legacy or Spiderman because those games are relatively short.

But this is also coming from someone who liked Fenyx Rising more than Breath of the Wild

belmarduk

The Hogwarts v Zelda v Spiderman 2 competition is already over

I'm sure Tears of the Kingdom will be a great game and I'm eagerly looking forward to it but they really haven't revealed anything extraordinary about it so far and it seems like they would have by now with its release only a few months away. Breath of the Wild was by far the best-selling game of the Zelda series, they usually don't sell nearly as much.

I had never seen any of the movies until this year, the game got me interested in them so I watched them all and enjoyed them. This game deserves its success, it's fun, has charm and personality and it kind of makes me hope this is what Playground is going to do with fable in some ways. The game play is great for the most part, doing different combos with the spells is very satisfying and the flight controls are well done compared to most other games.

I don't think protests or counter protest buys had any real impact on sales either way it was just people on the internet trying to hijack something for their own personal beliefs, sadly that happens with most things these days. I think it's just the popularity of the IP and the fact that it's actually a good game made by people who loved and respected it that made it work.

Top Bottom