• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just realized that we're likely to go through an entire Nintendo home console cycle and the only 3d Mario we got was World. And that bums me out.

Friend of the site Xavier Woods just closed out Raw after helping dominate John Cena and the Dudley Boyz. That's crazy. The first time he wrote a GOTY Top 10 you'd have been well in your your right to not even know he worked for WWE.

Xavier Woods continuing to be the biggest thing in the WWE not named Brock or Cena.

And doing it as a Tag team champ lol

Ostrichmaker.

Jason Osterizer

FRWxkYa.jpg

I wish I had an affinity for Transformers because that new game looks pretty cool.

I just realized that we're likely to go through an entire Nintendo home console cycle and the only 3d Mario we got was World. And that bums me out.

That's way better than going through an entire Nintendo home console cycle and the only 3d Mario we got was Sunshine.

Draxyle

Neo Member

Indeed. 3D World was fun, but it was just as sterile as all the "new super mario" games. We need a new Mario game with a theme beyond "Hey, there's cats now".

Think they're going to do an Unfinished with the Battlefront beta? Remember it's out for everyone on Thursday. I could actually see it being a UPF segment from one of them.

Zornack

With how eager the Mario devs are of talking about how 3D Mario games are too hard I'm a bit skeptical to how the next one will turn out. 3D World was piss easy until literally the last level.

I think it's the best GOTY they've done so far and who knows if they can top it this year.
Yeah, definitely. 2013 had higher highs but this was all consistently fantastic. Gave me an Arrested Development Season 4 vibe in a weird way. Super excited to see how they top it this year.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Speaking of game of the year

Your FOBs are always at risk of coming under attack. Now, you can rest easy with FOB insurance (paid service). If you sign up for insurance, then during the insurance period you will be compensated for any materials and staff lost due to rival infiltrations.
* Staff/materials stolen by the rival will in fact remain on your base, and an identical amount of staff/materials will be handed over to the rival instead.

Mario Maker looks better and better without doing anything.

Sunshine is better than 3D World.

And it isn't close.

I've played Sunshine recently because I keep convincing myself that, no, 2002 me was totally right about that game and 2015 me needs to give it another shot. Sorry, self, it is clearly the worst 3D Mario. There's no contest.

Indeed. 3D World was fun, but it was just as sterile as all the "new super mario" games. We need a new Mario game with a theme beyond "Hey, there's cats now".

If you think 3D World is "just as sterile" as those plastic, bah-filled nightmares because it shares several superficial elements like flagpoles and floating platforms, then I cannot agree. Certainly, the boundless imagination of Mario Galaxy has been lashed and bound to the traditional 2D Mario structure, but said creativity still exists. Like Galaxy, new ideas are continuously evoked and then discarded before they become stale. NSMB is just 80 levels of tedium. And then 80 more because here's another one four months later. It was called 2012. It was horrible.

And, unless your theme is the fucking endless reaches of space (which they did twice), you're going to run into issues with everything feeling samey. Like, I know this has nothing to do with anything, but it would get pretty boring if every level took place on some sort of tropical island. So having no cohesive theme with a bunch of different worlds seems pretty okay by comparison.

That said, I despise the vestiges of 2D Mario like flagpoles, timers, and carrying powerups everywhere, so they should just make Galaxy 3. Also stop making 2D Mario.

The SNES only got Super Mario World (Yoshi's Island is tangential)

The N64 only got Super Mario 64

The Gamecube only got Super Mario Sunshine

The Wii was a special case, getting Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2, because Galaxy 2 was originally going to be DLC that ended up being big enough to be its own game. The disc header for Galaxy 2 even is called "SUPER MARIO GALAXY MORE"

It's not really that unusual

You should come over to DGaf, we're pretty cool.

I'll definitely hop into the thread when I play more tomorrow. Find some low level buddies.

I bought the taken king ultimate fuck you edition or whatever after being really excited about destiny and then so bummed about the final product that I didn't even bother. I'm cautiously excited to try it tomorrow, I hear it's a good video game now.

I'm even enjoying the base game content. Don't know what was really changed in the base besides nolan north, but I'm having fun with it.

The SNES only got Super Mario World (Yoshi's Island is tangential)

The N64 only got Super Mario 64

The Gamecube only got Super Mario Sunshine

The Wii was a special case, getting Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2, because Galaxy 2 was originally going to be DLC that ended up being big enough to be its own game. The disc header for Galaxy 2 even is called "SUPER MARIO GALAXY MORE"

It's not really that unusual

"only" got super mario world

but yeah Data West shouldn't be bummed because holy god SM3DW is so good

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's always Brad and Jeff who really get heated. I remember when he called Jeff petty over ME3's multiplayer.

Always my favorite parts of the goty discussion is the prospect of those two butting heads.

It was mostly everyone else against brad and Jeff really.

Also then talking about ghostship being the weirdest game made me realise that it's been awhile since we had the double D's take on terrible steam horror games.

Man, relistening to the goty 2914 destiny fight part.

Man.
The best part is when he starts to run down the top ten, says Destiny's name and everyone else fake-freaks out! (then the same thing with Mario Kart!)

After catching up with the first Mario Maker live stream...I think that could take #1 spot this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom