• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok Has Huge Social Media Presence

I used to think that too but now I don’t think so. The release hype will be at it’s peak right around when the voting take place. The criticism usually comes a couple months later. Remember that Halo Infinite was GAF’s GOTY and TGA’s Players choice. And it comes to PS5+PS4, it’s a huge userbase.
Elden Ring is a different beast than Halo Infinite or anything else for that matter it a game with a cult like following plus massive sales
What was it like 12 million plus sales in like 2 weeks something like that
But anyways wile GOW has PS4 + PS5
Elden Ring has PS4 + PS5 + Xbox 1 + Xbox Series X/S + PC
And is rated a masterpiece by most if not all game reviewers
It gone to take a miracle for GOW to beat it

Last edited:
I was so tired and bored of Elden Ring that never was so happy for finish a game.
Are you 1 of the voters for GOTY award? if not
KEmnmQC.gif

Fredrik

Elden Ring is a different beast than Halo Infinite or anything else for that matter it a game with a cult like following plus massive sales
What was it like 12 million plus sales in like 2 weeks something like that
But anyways wile GOW has PS4 + PS5
Elden Ring has PS4 + PS5 + Xbox 1 + Xbox Series X/S + PC
And is rated a masterpiece by most if not all game reviewers
It gone to take a miracle for GOW to beat it
Hard to say when the game isn’t out. But GOW2018 sits at 94 on Metacritic, Elden Ring sits at 96. I don’t see why it would take a miracle for Ragnarök to go as high or higher.

Also, we’ve seen games with lower score win GOTY too. It all depends on who’s in the jury and what the jury likes the most at the time they’re voting. Don’t underestimate politics either. If Ragnarök play around with hot topics and let Loki do some gender shifting and turn that into a talking point then the chances go up.

But I hope Elden Ring win, it has issues but all in all it’s amazing, I think FROM and Miyazaki deserve an award for what they did with the open world and content.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I absolutely love God of war it's going to be huge.

Also, there is literally no news....about any franchises...about anything...there is no hype for 2022....this is our saviour after elden ring.

TonyK

I feel I'm the only worried because it doesn't have the same game director. For me this can be like Bioshock 2, a simply ok sequel until the game director made the proper sequel. I love Santa Monica and God of War franchise, but this feels more like Uncharted Lost Legacy than The Last of Us 2, if you allow me the comparison with Naughty Dog games.

SLB1904

Banned
Why are you talking about Elding Ring in a GOW thread?
I bet most of them didn't even play elden ring. Anything for PlayStation to not win goty for these weirdos

Don't take his words but take mine
The gameplay is great outside of rally as that feels terrible
The grinding is bad though still takes way to long to get the cars
This is straight bullshit,
You get over 50 mil credits just by doing the circuits experiences alone
Let's not talking about missions, cafe online time trials.

Do you have no shame just making shit up. What you gain from it?

CosmicComet

Hard Disagree.

This is Rockstar we’re talking about here. The most well known developer in the industry. God of War winning in 2018 was monumental. Look at RDR2’s metrics.
Yes but RDR2 also didn't age as well in a short amount of time post-release hype.

The chance of Ragnarok scoring equal or higher than GoW2018 is also pretty low since it will be an interative game whereas the 2018 was a complete reset in systems.

Elden Ring is definitely still the favorite right now in betting terms.

I bet most of them didn't even play elden ring. Anything for PlayStation to not win goty for these weirdos

This is straight bullshit,
You get over 50 mil credits just by doing the circuits experiences alone
Let's not talking about missions, cafe online time trials.

Do you have no shame just making shit up. What you gain from it?
I ain't making shit up i stop playing GT7 already it was a grindfest for me
Now if they update it since last i play is good i guess

Last edited:

Lupin25

Yes but RDR2 also didn't age as well in a short amount of time post-release hype.

The chance of Ragnarok scoring equal or higher than GoW2018 is also pretty low since it will be an interative game whereas the 2018 was a complete reset in systems.

Elden Ring is definitely still the favorite right now in betting terms.

As long as the game can introduce new mechanics instead of simply improving on pre-existing systems, there’s no reason gameplay can’t make decent strides. All 9 realms is massive and there was room for improvement with GOW 2018 (enemy variety, location variety, bosses) even tho it’s an exceptional game.

Elden Ring is no more iterative than any other FROM game, as well. You could say that about many devs experienced with outdated hardware (PS4/XBO), so of course, cross-gen games will be somewhat iterative. Every dev has gone the open-world route with its gameplay, some for the better (TLOU2, HZD, BOTW, ER), some for the worse (Assassin’s Creed, Ghost Recon, Infamous, FFXV, etc).

I expect GOW Ragnarök’s take on an open-world to be one of the better ones out there, which would be a proper send off for the PS4 this year.

I believe RDR2 is as great a competitor as Elden Ring was if not more (97 metacritic), 30+ million sales.

We don’t know how well Elden Ring will age, it’s not even 6 months after release yet lol. A few years from now (2026) we’ll be nearing the end of this gen, so I’d expect it to age poorly being a cross-gen game. But again, every last-gen game should feel outdated a few years from now.

How AAA devs have maintained consumer interest trying to invent new mechanics/narratives possible within hardware/budget constraints for the last 10 years is pretty fucking remarkable.

Kokoloko85

Phil handing out extra ambassador bonuses to try and kill the hype and scores for this game lol.
Something will come up whether its Story, Kratos dying, its too much gameplay, some social cancel thing and this game will be critised to high heavens by “fans” and “reviewers”

Steveio or whatever his name is will give it a 6/10 because its too long. But will then give Starfield a 10/10 because its a lengthy game with lots of content...

They gonna try everything so this game won’t get a 90+ score and if it does it will come with hate and controversy. Been like this every PS exclusive since TLOU2.

Demon Souls - Its a remake
Spiderman MM - Its cross gen DLC
Astrbot - What a free game?
Returnal - $70 for an indie game??!
Ratchet & Clank - Its just Ratchet
Horizon 2 - Look it didn’t score or sell like Elden Ring
GT7 - Im concerned by a game I haven’t played and don’t even own the console for. Will right fake review scores on metacritic ( my only entries have been Halo Infinite 10/10 and FH5 10/10, and Horizon 2 and GT7 0/10…..)

God of War Ragnarok - Its too long and “pacing” issues

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Times Square presence too

Who buys a game based off an ad like this?

Blizzard did a NYC thing with WoW. I can’t say this pushed my opinion one way or another. Both of them look cool, but there’s a lot of money being spent on advertising here. How many onlookers say, “oh I didn’t know this existed before and now I will spend $60-$70 for it.” You would imagine people either were already fans or it was something they heard from the gaming grapevine over the years.

14-CDA10-D-3-CE3-4-F1-E-B48-D-1-EEC3800-E247.jpg

Top Bottom