• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok Officially sells through 11 Million copies

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sony sells a lot of games through bundles and online sales, but it's impossible to make any sense of it without numbers.

I am not saying it flopped, it obviously didn't, it was huge, but whether you look at Spider-Man or God of War 2018, none of those games stagnated as much as TLOU2.

Those games sold maybe 5 million in the first month and spent the next year getting that 10 million mark. The Last of Us 2 however, seems to have sold 6-8 million at launch, and then spend almost 2 years selling the next 2 million.

That's why this conversation is dredged back up, Ragnarok is a pretty good comparison point hence the similarities in marketing and focus, yet it only highlights even more how The Last of Us 2 completely stagnated for some weird reason.
God of War stagnated compared to Spider-Man
Last of Us Part II stagnated compared to God of War and Spider-Man.

People say it was due to the backlash but by how much? If people can bring up the backlash due to the sales being low, then people shouldn't completely ignore bundles.
20-205249_games-on-ps4-bundle-ps4-slim-price-in.png
71-714296_ps4-bundle-god-of-war-4-hd-png.png
1tb-ps4-pro-sony-no-original-imaf6dqzhgqqxkan.jpeg
PlayStation_Holiday2018_HitsBundle-600x338.jpg
6-e1524237128232.jpg

That's at least 4 or 5 bundles within the first year of its release. One is a holiday bundle.

I did not include limited edition bundles because both The Last of Us and God of War released one.

God of War would have not reached 10 million in sales in 13 months without it.

God of War stagnated compared to Spider-Man
Last of Us Part II stagnated compared to God of War and Spider-Man.

People say it was due to the backlash but by how much? If people can bring up the backlash due to the sales being low, then people shouldn't completely ignore bundles.

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

That's at least 4 or 5 bundles within the first year of its release. One is a holiday bundle.

I did not include limited edition bundles because both The Last of Us and God of War released one.

God of War would have not reached 10 million in sales in 13 months without it.

You are trying way too hard. Just say congrats SSM and leave it alone. What are you trying to accomplish?

Congrats SSM.

And yes, as others have pointed out, this just points out the obvious TLOU2 underperformance. When all of Sony's older franchises are selling more on PS4/5, and incredibly more in the case of GOW, TLOU remained stagnant, requiring discounts to get to where it's at. BTW, going by sales, TLOU had the potential to be a much bigger franchise, as GOW's biggest seller before the 2018 PS4 game only did 6M. TLOU PS3 did 10M+.

And people want to bring up bundles. Did its stans ever ask, why isn't TLOU2 in more bundles? I'll give you the answer. Sony knows TLOU2 was a divisive game and isn't going to push as many console sales as GOW and SM will.

Has Phil congratulated on twitter, yet?

Sorry it's even dumber than that, not a Survey group, just one fan letter

"Kojima received much fan mail; one letter from a girl stated she did not want to play a game with an old man. Kojima took this into consideration; he and his team designed Raiden to be more appealing to women.[7]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raiden_(Metal_Gear)

Never doubt even one second that Kojima would do this. Lmfaooooo

sachos

Always happy seeing big single player games like this or Elden Ring do so well. Insane numbers. Jimbo please don't fuck this up with you GaaS love.

Congrats SSM.

And yes, as others have pointed out, this just points out the obvious TLOU2 underperformance. When all of Sony's older franchises are selling more on PS4/5, and incredibly more in the case of GOW, TLOU remained stagnant, requiring discounts to get to where it's at. BTW, going by sales, TLOU had the potential to be a much bigger franchise, as GOW's biggest seller before the 2018 PS4 game only did 6M. TLOU PS3 did 10M+.

And people want to bring up bundles. Did its stans ever ask, why isn't TLOU2 in more bundles? I'll give you the answer. Sony knows TLOU2 was a divisive game and isn't going to push as many console sales as GOW and SM will.
I guess you missed the part where it been proven in this thread that TLOU2 didnt receive discounts sooner than any recent Sony exclusive has 3 months after release. TLOU2 has sold over 10 mill, new show on HBO out renewed for a second season and Factions multiplayer comming soon. This franchise is doin fine.

It may have underperformed relative to the hype and expectations people had, but I think that had more to do with the story plot being leaked, the reluctance for some people to look past Ellie's sexual preference and the the "woke agenda" people think exist to take precedence over a good story to make a political statement.

Last edited:

Vick

Yeah but the reason Raiden existed was far stupider. If I recall correctly it was because Snake didn't appeal to Japanese school girls they had surveyed
Wow.. the lack of awareness of Part II stans will never cease to amuse me.

No similarities at all with Joel and Ellie being replaced because of certain trends with two characters (who borrowed the same gameplay mechanics) made entirely to appeal to a certain crowd.

Not at all. Not in the slightest.

There aren’t real issues with the game narrative or the characters.

Pacing? Sure. But at the end of the day not every game has to be for everybody. People who hated/avoided TLOu2 because of the story or the characters are of no interest, because nobody wants ND to dumb it down for these people, fuck em
There's nothing to dumb down in Part II. Game does a stunningly good job itself as is.
Three years passed and I'm still not sure if I should envy easily pleased/tasteless people like you.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
And we know your formula doesn't even work.

Guerilla Games number of employees as of June 2018: 250

Horizon Zero Dawn took 6 years to produce: 100,000x250x6 = $150,000,000

The game cost around $50M. A third of what your formula produces. We're not even in the same ballpark here.
After this number was mentioned in this thread I tried to research it… $50M but it is so out of step and such an outlier with what is going on in the rest of the industry I would want to hear more about how they calculated it. My first guess is that they didn’t factor in the cost of coding the engine or didnt factor in marketing or whatever. Like, Dead Space 2 cost $60M almost a decade before, on older consoles. And that was the number that was getting very common that gen, it is why so many devs got wiped out then.

IMDB has a mention of Forbidden West costing $110M but even that, I couldn’t find any other reference anywhere. So, I dunno. These Horizon numbers don;t make sense quite frankly.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Didn't death stranding sell like 8 million within the first 3 months 😐 kind off expected Ragnarok to do double those numbers ... Would have been better if they killed off kratos but I guess money talks so they gone keep putting them out 😹
Nope. Ds did 5 million a year after pc launch so 5 million in a year and a half.

The first game took nearly a year to sell 10 million though came out much earlier than the holidays.

This game is also 70 dollars though.

At least an extra 170 million dollars give or take bundle pricing

Unknown?

The first game took nearly a year to sell 10 million though came out much earlier than the holidays.

This game is also 70 dollars though.

At least an extra 170 million dollars give or take bundle pricing
$70 in today's dollars is equivalent to $60 in 2018, don't let numeric value fool you for real value.

$60 in 2018 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $70.88 today https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/2018?amount=60

God of War is a longer running franchise, going back almost 20 years, with over 10 releases.
One had leaks. The other had none. One was bundled the other wasn't.
Of course it'll sell more.
So there are 8 God of war releases that sold few millions copies each, that makes the sales o 2018 and Ragnarok way more impressive. The brand grew to the sky.
TLoU2 didn't set the world on fire despite being the sequel of the best selling (at the time) Sony ever. If the sequel ends selling less that the first game wich was a new unproven IP I suppose we can take some conclusions.
Another interesting release will be Spiderman 2, since the first should be the actual best selling sony game. If it doesn't disappoint then Part2 will be the only between the big three with slowing sales, and that just after two games.

Last edited:
I guess you missed the part where it been proven in this thread that TLOU2 didnt receive discounts sooner than any recent Sony exclusive has 3 months after release. TLOU2 has sold over 10 mill, new show on HBO out renewed for a second season and Factions multiplayer comming soon. This franchise is doin fine.

It may have underperformed relative to the hype and expectations people had, but I think that had more to do with the story plot being leaked, the reluctance for some people to look past Ellie's sexual preference and the the "woke agenda" people think exist to take precedence over a good story to make a political statement.
I don't think the general public knows or care about twitter rants and forum discussions. You will see once Hogwarts Legacy will be released how much little impact fanatics have on a multi billion market.
If TLoU2 underperformed (ie selling way less than the first game) it wasn't due the leaks or the woke agenda (if you look around you'll see a lot of similar themes in mainstream entertainment, or are we living on mars?).

Exentryk

Didn't buy it even though I wanted to play it because no PS5. Might as well wait till it launches on PC now.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

Pretty crazy numbers for Ragnarok. They can add +1 to that this month because I’m finally going to pick up a copy myself. Loved GoW 2018 and got the platinum so I’m excited to play it.

Thief1987

For comparison of brand power, it took more than a year for Zelda BOTW to reach 10 million and half a year for Mario Odyssey.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So we’re looking at roughly 500M in revenue…damn

Wonder how much dev cost and marketing spend was - 250M to 300M?

Should have more than 200M in profit that Jimbo can waste on GaaS
No that is to much.The game probably didn’t cost more than 100 million to make Marketing is cheap it’s mostly social media which is free a bit YouTube here and there and maybe tv ads.Marketing is max 50 million for this game.So all in all around 150 million

Mr.Phoenix

So we’re looking at roughly 500M in revenue…damn

Wonder how much dev cost and marketing spend was - 250M to 300M?

Should have more than 200M in profit that Jimbo can waste on GaaS
Dunno how you got 500M.

The game is less than 3 months old, Still retailing at full price. Even if we are looking at an average retail price of $70, that pegs it at around $770M in revenue.

I would say $200M - $250M sounds about right for dev and marketing. $180M for dev and $70 for marketing.

That's like $520M - $570M of profit in just under 3 months!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom