• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok Officially sells through 11 Million copies

Bragr

Banned
Some of you can go on attacking Tlou 2 all they want, but that won't change the fact that Naughty Dog's next single player game will have the biggest production budget ever, as usual.
Live with it
It's not about attacking it, but that game has the weirdest drop-off of any triple-A game in recent memory. It's fascinating.

Gudji

giphy.gif

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Yeah you kind of do without having any other information.
Not at all. Horizon Zero Dawn began production in 2011 with a team of 20-40 people initially designing the concept. Clearly, you didn't pay sound engineers when the soundtrack production hadn't even begun. You also have contractors who only work temporarily on some parts. You have people moving to other projects when their job is finished, etc. It just doesn't work even as a ballpark estimate. It can grossly overestimate or even sometimes underestimate the actual budget.

The only thing we can rely on to guesstimate are other AAA games of the same caliber and $270M is approaching Cybperunk/RDR2 territory and GOW clearly isn't on that level.

Not at all. Horizon Zero Dawn began production in 2011 with a team of 20-40 people initially designing the concept. Clearly, you didn't pay sound engineers when the soundtrack production hadn't even begun. You also have contractors who only work temporarily on some parts. You have people moving to other projects when their job is finished, etc. It just doesn't work even as a ballpark estimate. It can grossly overestimate or even sometimes underestimate the actual budget.

The only thing we can rely on to guesstimate are other AAA games of the same caliber and $270M is approaching Cybperunk/RDR2 territory and GOW clearly isn't on that level.
It’s a ballpark

It’s not meant to be 100% accurate.

GOW is probably not far removed from Cyberpunk or RDR2

Gaiff

It’s a ballpark

It’s not meant to be 100% accurate.

GOW is probably not far removed from Cyberpunk or RDR2
I don't even think it's ballpark. And GOW being anywhere near Cyberpunk or RDR2 is nothing short of a farce. The only area where it might rival them is marketing. Production cost isn't even close, especially given the fact that they didn't even need to create new models for most major characters in GOWR, they had already made them in 2018 and simply enhanced them.

Cyberpunk took like 8 years to make and is three times the size of God of War Ragnarok in scope, scale, and complexity. I have no idea where that budget would even go.

I don't even think it's ballpark. And GOW being anywhere near Cyberpunk or RDR2 is nothing short of a farce. The only area where it might rival them is marketing. Production cost isn't even close, especially given the fact that they didn't even need to create new models for most major characters in GOWR, they had already made them in 2018 and simply enhanced them.

Cyberpunk took like 8 years to make and is three times the size of God of War Ragnarok in scope, scale, and complexity. I have no idea where that budget would even go.

Durrr

Do you think all 8 years had the entire staff just working on Cyberpunk????

Its close enough

150M minimum could go up to
250M

These games aren’t cheap to make bro, sorry to burst your bubble

Last edited:

Gaiff

Durrr

Do you think all 8 years had the entire staff just working on Cyberpunk????

Its close enough

150M minimum could go up to
250M

These games aren’t cheap to make bro, sorry to burst your bubble
$150M isn't cheap which is where I'd place GOWR, that's 3 times the estimated budget of Horizon Zero Dawn. Comparing it to Cyberpunk or RDR2 is just ridiculous.

Godot25

Banned
Why would it? They broke their own records with that game and it came out on 1 system not 2...
Well. It's not like people bought game on multiple systems right? PS5 and PS4 owners have huge overlap.
There is also the case that Ghost of Tsushima as a new IP had similar sales as an established IP like The Last of Us.

And I'm not trying to say that TLOU 2 sold badly or anything. But when I look at sales of other high profile PlayStation Studios games like Spider-Man, God of War Ragnarok and Ghost of Tsushima, I would not be surprised if Sony expected better performance from TLOU 2. It would not surprise me if that game was most expensive PS Studios game considering tech behind it and number of devs (Naughty Dog has almost 800 devs, while Sony Santa Monica has less than 400)

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Returnal was like 3 years, 100 employees, 100k per = 30M dev budget

Sounds right
a stated $100k salary costs a company a lot more than $100k. General rule of thumb is like 2x salary in the USA. Might be even higher in Europe. It’s in flux these days but that’s the general rule. But there’s also voice acting, testing, outsourcing, localization, etc that all add to the costs beyond the core dev team salaries

https://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation-5/returnal/credits

Last edited:

EDMIX

I think that maybe Sony expected better performance from TLOU 2

Based on what?

It moved over 10 million in less then a year and half, you telling me it should have been at 15 million in a year and half even with the first NEVER hitting those numbers in such a time frame?
To move half of what The Last Of Us 1 did in 6 years, in a year and a half isn't below expectations bud. The game is literally still selling and still charting.... with no PC version and no PS5 remaster yet.

Just stop man.

Stop fucking forcing this in every thread.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
TLOU2 was clearly far more divisive and likely cost itself sales. It also hit bargin bin prices far sooner than other games on this list.
Spider-Man
September 7th - $59.99
5 months and 14 days - The price is officially dropped to $39.99
11 months and 20 days - Sony releases Game of The Year Edition for $39.99, which includes the game ($19.99) and all of the DLC

God of War
April 20th - $59.99
6 months and 2 days - The price is officially dropped to $39.99
1 year and 5 months - The price is officially dropped to $19.99

Last of Us Part II
June 19th - 59.99
1 year and 14 months - The Price is officially dropped to $39.99

The Last of Us Part II never officially dropped to $19.99 as it's still $39.99 on PS Direct.

However, the game did receive discounts and price drops prior to their official price drops. The Last of Us saw prices around 39.99 around October, which is 3 months and 24 days after its release, around the same time frame as God of War.

The price drops have been very similar to Sony's other major releases.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
GOW3 isn’t in the same Galaxy of effort compared to GoW:R

One is a 7 hour game the other is 60+ hours worth of content

Returnal probably did cost 50-75M

The bottom line is Ragnarok cost bare minimum 150M
Doesnt matter how long or short of a game it is when the costs are measured in terms of number of employees + time spent on the game. GOW3 took 3 years and 250 employees. GOW Ragnorak took 4.5 years and 300 employees. Remember Cory has a 2nd team working on a new IP for the last 4.5 years.

I dont get how you dont see that your $270 million budget simply does not line up with game dev budgets we know of. HZD cost $45 million euros just five years ago. Game dev costs have increased but they havent even doubled, let alone quadrupled like you are suggesting. People arent making 5x more than they were making 10 years ago. They are making more or less the same.

Gaiff

Doesnt matter how long or short of a game it is when the costs are measured in terms of number of employees + time spent on the game. GOW3 took 3 years and 250 employees. GOW Ragnorak took 4.5 years and 300 employees. Remember Cory has a 2nd team working on a new IP for the last 4.5 years.

I dont get how you dont see that your $270 million budget simply does not line up with game dev budgets we know of. HZD cost $45 million euros just five years ago. Game dev costs have increased but they havent even doubled, let alone quadrupled like you are suggesting. People arent making 5x more than they were making 10 years ago. They are making more or less the same.
This. It just doesn't make sense. Marketing budget is often as much if not more than production budget so GOWR cost $500M+ to produce and market? At this rate, GTA VI will cost over $1B.

Godot25

Banned
Based on what?

It moved over 10 million in less then a year and half, you telling me it should have been at 15 million in a year and half even with the first NEVER hitting those numbers in such a time frame?
To move half of what The Last Of Us 1 did in 6 years, in a year and a half isn't below expectations bud. The game is literally still selling and still charting.... with no PC version and no PS5 remaster yet.

Just stop man.

Stop fucking forcing this in every thread.
Where elsewhere did I forced it? Jesus, calm down :D
Sequel of God of War sold 11 million copies in 3 months
Sequel of TLOU sold 10 million copies in almost two years

I just found it interesting. If you want to argue with things like "but Ragnarok is available on PS5 and TLOU 2 is not" than that's a pretty stupid argument tbh. Just move on. Put me on ignore and live your life happy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That's crazy.

But I wonder if it don't put Naughty Dot at a awkward position. They needed almost two years to sell 10 million copies of TLOU2 on console that sold 120 million.
There is always one of these people who have to try and take a shot at TLOU2. Maybe you should keep in mind that TLOU2 wasn't bundled where Ragnarok comes with every single PS5 that has been sold over the past 3 months. TLOU2 had a very tiny amount of special PS4 Pros that it came with and that was it.

skit_data

Curious, the tweet I linked earlier from the official Playstation account about this being the fastest selling game ever has been deleted. That’s curious.

Edit: Ok, now it’s back. Twitter really is unstable nowadays.

Last edited:

NickFire

Jesus christ...another topic about sales for a PS game, and somehow here we are talking about TLOU2 "flopping".
From the glass is actually half full side of the perspective, this is a massive compliment to Sony's first party lineup. How many other publishers can say their games sell so many copies that some people think a game with LOU2 sales was a flop? I bet the answer is ZERO.

Bragr

Banned
I don’t think the drop off is that big

TLOU1 has been remastered dozens of times in comparison
It sold 4 million in just 3 days, and Ragnarok took 5 or 7 days to reach 5 million or whatever it was.

Either way, the game was on the same level sales-wise as Ragnarok during the launch. The Last of Us 2 was absolutely fucking massive with a marketing push just as heavy as Ragnarok.

Both Ragnarok and The Last of Us 2 likely sold between 6-8 million in the first month each. Both games crushed huge sellers like Spider-Man early on.

Then TLOU2 seemingly vanished.

Ragnarok flew past 10 million like it was nothing. TLOU2 should have flown past 10 million well before the end of 2020, easily, but for some bizarre reason, it completely stalled.

This is prob gonna hit 15 million by June, easily. Maybe even before that.

Proud to be among the many (hold on to those Launch Edition boxes tho; seriously they might be worth something down the line as crazy as that sounds).

It sold 4 million in just 3 days, and Ragnarok took 5 or 7 days to reach 5 million or whatever it was.

Either way, the game was on the same level sales-wise as Ragnarok during the launch. The Last of Us 2 was absolutely fucking massive with a marketing push just as heavy as Ragnarok.

Both Ragnarok and The Last of Us 2 likely sold between 6-8 million in the first month each. Both games crushed huge sellers like Spider-Man early on.

Ragnarok flew past 10 million like it was nothing. TLOU2 should have flown past 10 million well before the end of 2020, easily, but for some bizarre reason, it completely stalled.

I think it's a combination of mixed reception to Joel's death (or specifically, HOW he died in the game) combined with the negativity certain folks were spreading online about the game for culture war BS.

Personally I don't have an issue with Joel dying, but I think they could've had him go out with more gusto and where it wasn't such a convenience for Abby's group to get him. Maybe they address that or make some changes there in the future.

Last edited:

Gaiff

One theory that I have is that the audience for TLOUII is just much smaller than with GOWR. The passionate fanbase came in drove during the first few days and it died down later on. It's a horror game after all and these don't have the same appeal as games like GOW or Spider-Man. That's why it initially outsold GOT 2:1 but then they ended up almost neck-and-neck after 2 years.

Yoboman

TLoU2 surpassed many things in preorders and release-day purchases, i.e. purchases made out of goodwill and faith that the 1st game generated.

But most of all, let's not pretend this isn't a thing:

Oqzv0TO.jpg
Don't bother, mods here made it clear long ago that TLOU2 trolling in every thread is fair game

SlimySnake

TLOU 2 was over 10 million. And it continues to chart. It didn’t top at 9 million.

Unfair to compare with God of War, which is a long-running franchise since PS2 era with more than 6 games.

And TLOU 2 is tracking at a higher pace than TLOU 1.
The last number we got was 9 million at its 2 year anniversary. If it had sold 10 million, i think they wouldve revealed it.

And of course TLOU2 is tracking higher than TLOU1. It sold 4 million in 3 days. Regardless, if you dont think selling 9 million in 2 years vs 11 million in 3 months is a big gap for two of Sonys biggest franchises then there is nothing more to talk about.

lol $10 million was the budget for Metal Gear Solid 2 in 2001. I don’t think a lot of people understand how expensive it is to employ these giant teams and build huge games with tons of content, high quality voice acting, cinematics that look movie quality, tons of testing and iteration over years, and put in a massive marketing push behind them. These games are really really REALLY big business, it’s not 1997 anymore, it stands to reason the budget is going to go up to match. The cost to so business is high and the sales numbers for hit games justify those expenses.

In fact the cost to do business is so damn high that I even think “AAA” studios are struggling to deal with it. Only a select few can actually make a game like Ragnarok these days.
Why are we going back to 2001 or 1997? I have repeatedly listed budgets for GOW3, TLOU and Uncharted games which came out just 10 years ago. HZD came out 6 years ago and cost $45 million euros. The game budgets are calculated based on number of years * number of employees +their salaries. Why are we assuming that everyone is making 2x-5x as much money as they were making 10 years ago?

If anything, this industry has a big burnout problem with most devs leaving in their 30s. These studios are full of rookie developers making far less than what you would pay senior developers with 10-20 years of experience.

I can promise you that if the game cost $270 million, Sony would not have allowed them to go beyond 3 years. They wouldve asked them to cut 2 out of the 6 open worlds in GOW and reduce the campaign length as well. Just one fewer year of dev time wouldve saved them $67 million!!! Jimbo wouldve been like cut the fucking crater area and ship in 2021 you cunts.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Maybe God of War Ragnarok just sold better and it's the more popular series?

Why didn't people call God of War (2018) a flop?

God of War sold 3.1m in 3 days.
Spider-Man sold 3.2m in 3 days.

Spider-Man sold 13.5m in 10 months and 21 days
God of War sold 10m in 13 months.

The legs weren't nearly as strong as Spider-Man, but it's completely fine, right? lol

TheTony316

That's insane. I bet Spiderman 2 sales will be even crazier.

Now watch Microsoft use this as an argument to get the ABK deal through, lol.

AmuroChan

Trying to explain game budgets is likely not as simple as just comparing one game to another because the underlying variables are not all the same. Some studios cost a lot more to operate merely by their geographical location. I think people were rightfully shocked that Callisto Protocol, a linear 10 hour game with a modest 3-year dev cycle cost $160+ million to make. I think it would be fair to say that if that game was made in eastern Europe instead and not California, the budget would've been significantly lower. Similarly, Control 2 is being developed with a budget of only $50 million euros. That budget would not nearly be enough if the studio was located in a high cost of living city like London, San Francisco, Tokyo, etc.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
See when something sells they brag about it, crazy numbers for SMS
Spider-Man
September 7th - $59.99
5 months and 14 days - The price is officially dropped to $39.99
11 months and 20 days - Sony releases Game of The Year Edition for $39.99, which includes the game ($19.99) and all of the DLC

God of War
April 20th - $59.99
6 months and 2 days - The price is officially dropped to $39.99
1 year and 5 months - The price is officially dropped to $19.99

Last of Us Part II
June 19th - 59.99
1 year and 14 months - The Price is officially dropped to $39.99

The Last of Us Part II never officially dropped to $19.99 as it's still $39.99 on PS Direct.

However, the game did receive discounts and price drops prior to their official price drops. The Last of Us saw prices around 39.99 around October, which is 3 months and 24 days after its release, around the same time frame as God of War.

The price drops have been very similar to Sony's other major releases.

TLOU2 had prices as low as £8.99/$9.99 during Christmas
And generally been between £6 - £13.99 throughout 2022
I know the price has shot up to about £25, but that's probably due to the Remake/ TV Series increasing demand.
But people keep saying it's saying at nearly full price when it's not.

SlimySnake

Yep. TLOU2's initial sales were almost cod like in the early Modern Warfare days. It outsold even Halo which used to do 3 million in a weekend. The GOW series never did numbers like that until just now. In fact, I remember Aaron Greenberg laughing at GOW3's 1.3 million sales in the first month listing together GT5, Uncharted, KZ and Resistance in a tweet saying they all sold fewer than Halo 3 did in the first month. Both TLOU and GOW are now huge franchises. But only one has legs u would expect from a game that sold 4 million in 3 days.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Naughty Dog needs to up their game

TLOU 2 was divisive and the gameplay structure wasn’t improved much (and it needs lots of improving)

The God of War formula/design structure is more appealing

Naughty Dog are fine. The leaks really hurt TLOU2 launch. But Not many studios do better combat/gameplay and mixing it altogether than Santa Monica.
Also TLOU2 combat was way better than TLOU1

FingerBang

Amazing achievement for an amazing game. Loved my time with it and I had really high expectations!
TLoU2 surpassed many things in preorders and release-day purchases, i.e. purchases made out of goodwill and faith that the 1st game generated.

But most of all, let's not pretend this isn't a thing:

Oqzv0TO.jpg
This is a thing only for people who live online and have a problem with this game where suddenly the game doesn't hold up story-wise with incredibly high-standards other games don't have to deal with.

For the rest of the people, it's an amazing game with an amazing story and fantastic gameplay.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Trying to explain game budgets is likely not as simple as just comparing one game to another because the underlying variables are not all the same. Some studios cost a lot more to operate merely by their geographical location. I think people were rightfully shocked that Callisto Protocol, a linear 10 hour game with a modest 3-year dev cycle cost $160+ million to make. I think it would be fair to say that if that game was made in eastern Europe instead and not California, the budget would've been significantly lower. Similarly, Control 2 is being developed with a budget of only $50 million euros. That budget would not nearly be enough if the studio was located in a high cost of living city like London, San Francisco, Tokyo, etc.
Sure. But GG is not a eastern european studio. They are based out of Amsterdam which is just as expensive a town as LA where SSM is based out of. And again, so is Naughty Dog and we have their numbers from just 9 years ago. Studio costs have undoubtedly increased. I will give you double since I am being nice. But 3-5x? come on.

And Callisto is a perfect example of bs accounting and infalted budget estimates. This studio was a one man studio until mid 2019. He then slowly started hiring and topped out at 120 employees. Most hired towards the end. Even if we assume that they were there for the full 3 years. Thats 100 devs for 3 years so $53 million a year? SSM had 300 devs work on this game for 4.5 years so 3x the cost for an extra 1.5 years. That would put GOW's budget at $600 million. Rockstar has 3000 devs working on one game at a time. Is GTA6 going to cost $5 billion?

The Callisto guy probably raised that much money from investors and pocketed most of it, and is now telling everyone that is what the budget was.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
See when something sells they brag about it, crazy numbers for SMS

TLOU2 had prices as low as £8.99/$9.99 during Christmas
And generally been between £6 - £13.99 throughout 2022
I know the price has shot up to about £25, but that's probably due to the Remake/ TV Series increasing demand.
But people keep saying it's saying at nearly full price when it's not.
Yes, this is normal.

AmuroChan

Sure. But GG is not a eastern european studio. They are based out of Amsterdam which is just as expensive a town as LA where SSM is based out of. And again, so is Naughty Dog and we have their numbers from just 9 years ago. Studio costs have undoubtedly increased. I will give you double since I am being nice. But 3-5x? come on.

And Callisto is a perfect example of bs accounting and infalted budget estimates. This studio was a one man studio until mid 2019. He then slowly started hiring and topped out at 120 employees. Most hired towards the end. Even if we assume that they were there for the full 3 years. Thats 100 devs for 3 years so $53 million a year? SSM had 300 devs work on this game for 4.5 years so 3x the cost for an extra 1.5 years. That would put GOW's budget at $600 million. Rockstar has 3000 devs working on one game at a time. Is GTA6 going to cost $5 billion?

The Callisto guy probably raised that much money from investors and pocketed most of it, and is now telling everyone that is what the budget was.

I'm not arguing what the budget of GoW R is. I have no idea. I'm simply pointing out that there are other factors involved besides simply looking at a game's scope and presentation vs another game, especially when they're made by different studios in different parts of the world.

GoW3 didn’t have 250 employees I don’t think

SSM has 400 now

You also need to take into account inflation which over 14 years is significant

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Those are greatest hits versions.... completely different.
Also where is the greatest hits version of TLOU2?
How is that even relevant? lol

One of Game of The Year Edition and the other is The Greatest Hits version.

Spider-Man is technically 19.99 with all of the DLC. God of War was $19.99. So regardless of the label that's on the box, it was still 9.99 or lower.

SlimySnake

Those are greatest hits versions.... completely different.
Also where is the greatest hits version of TLOU2?
i saw TLOU drop to $19.99 then $9.99 way earlier than any other major sony release. You are not losing your mind. It definitely got discounted relatively early.

Sony has more or less stopped that practice with the PS5. DS, Ratchet and Returnal. Even GT7 is very hard to find under $39.99. they are following that Nintendo model now.

Mr Moose

The last number we got was 9 million at its 2 year anniversary. If it had sold 10 million, i think they wouldve revealed it.

And of course TLOU2 is tracking higher than TLOU1. It sold 4 million in 3 days. Regardless, if you dont think selling 9 million in 2 years vs 11 million in 3 months is a big gap for two of Sonys biggest franchises then there is nothing more to talk about.

Why are we going back to 2001 or 1997? I have repeatedly listed budgets for GOW3, TLOU and Uncharted games which came out just 10 years ago. HZD came out 6 years ago and cost $45 million euros. The game budgets are calculated based on number of years * number of employees +their salaries. Why are we assuming that everyone is making 2x-5x as much money as they were making 10 years ago?

If anything, this industry has a big burnout problem with most devs leaving in their 30s. These studios are full of rookie developers making far less than what you would pay senior developers with 10-20 years of experience.

I can promise you that if the game cost $270 million, Sony would not have allowed them to go beyond 3 years. They wouldve asked them to cut 2 out of the 6 open worlds in GOW and reduce the campaign length as well. Just one fewer year of dev time wouldve saved them $67 million!!! Jimbo wouldve been like cut the fucking crater area and ship in 2021 you cunts.

We’re happy to share that The Last of Us Part II has sold through more than 10 million copies globally, as of this Spring.

Top Bottom