• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok Officially sells through 11 Million copies

X-Wing

I think it's well balanced. I mean between combat/puzzle and narrative parts. We know the story is incredibly important in the game.
I could sail the boat all day just to listen to Mimir's stories.

Last edited:

nowhat

I sometimes avoid hitting a beach or dock so the yarn can finish.
Me too. But sometimes I'm too trigger happy and dock earlier than I intended.

Which is what happened to me with Mimir yawning and the resulting discussion being about whether gods can be tired. Not the best exchange out there, with the punchline being Mimir saying something along the lines of "but what about Thor?". Still, amusing enough.

But as I exited the conversation just a tiny bit before ending it, the game made sure I'll hear it to the end. So now every time I use the mine carts to go up/down to the forge in Svartalfheim, there's the same conversation. Every. Fucking. Time. It was amusing at first, but as I was clearing out collectibles and other post-game content it became really infuriating.

It's a great game, the sales are deserved and on the whole it was a remarkably bug-free game on release. But that one bug drove me nuts.

Please lol. I accept my defeat for now.

I will complete it at some point and I imagine it will really turn it around at the end. I've just struggled with it a lot more than I expected to.

I know a lot love it and that's great. X

Aww you didn't finish it?

god-of-war-kratos.gif

MikeM

There are moments in this video game where I stop in awe at the fact that’s it’s a video game.
Same here. Quite a few times I would stand at the edge of a peak and say “THIS is cross gen? Why aren’t more games like this then?” Honestly, i’d have no problem with cross gen if more games came out with such quality across the board.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
If Callisto Protocol can cost $162m to make, is it that far-fetched to think that budgets of far better AAA games can be in that vicinity?
It's much more likely that $162M is the cost of development + marketing. The game cost around $60M with another $100M in marketing. This is more sensible than assuming it cost $162M with another $100-200M in marketing which is ridiculous.

It also lines up more with Horizon: Zero Dawn costing about $50M to produce back in 2017. Why would Callisto Protocol's development budget be over 3x that of Horizon: Zero Dawn? And before you use the location argument, Guerilla Games is based in Amsterdam which isn't exactly cheap.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

It's much more likely that $162M is the cost of development + marketing. The game cost around $60M with another $100M in marketing. This is more sensible than assuming it cost $162M with another $100-200M in marketing which is ridiculous.

It also lines up more with Horizon: Zero Dawn costing about $50M to produce back in 2017. Why would Callisto Protocol's development budget be over 3x that of Horizon: Zero Dawn? And before you use the location argument, Guerilla Games is based in Amsterdam which isn't exactly cheap.

There could be many reasons why. Not every studio is created equal. Some are well-managed. Others are not. Some are going to be really good managing the game budget. Others burn through money like monopoly money. The article about Callisto Protocol's $162m budget specifically said that does not include marketing cost.

Gaiff

There could be many reasons why. Not every studio is created equal. Some are well-managed. Others are not. Some are going to be really good managing the game budget. Others burn through money like monopoly money. The article about Callisto Protocol's $162m budget specifically said that does not include marketing cost.
Not true? It simply states that the game fails to recoup the $162M it cost the publisher. This would presumably include the marketing costs because to recoup, you also have to factor them.

Last edited:

Gaiff

This is made up. The original source is a poorly translated Korean article and they just say "production cost over three years". Given the context is recouping the money, it's very unlikely that they're not including them because even if they had sold twice as many copies, they would have still come up short.

AmuroChan

This is made up. The original source is a poorly translated Korean article and they just say "production cost over three years". Given the context is recouping the money, it's very unlikely that they're not including them because even if they had sold twice as many copies, they would have still come up short.

You're welcome to believe whatever you want to believe. I'm not here to convince you otherwise. If the articles are wrong, they should correct them.

Me too. But sometimes I'm too trigger happy and dock earlier than I intended.

Which is what happened to me with Mimir yawning and the resulting discussion being about whether gods can be tired. Not the best exchange out there, with the punchline being Mimir saying something along the lines of "but what about Thor?". Still, amusing enough.

But as I exited the conversation just a tiny bit before ending it, the game made sure I'll hear it to the end. So now every time I use the mine carts to go up/down to the forge in Svartalfheim, there's the same conversation. Every. Fucking. Time. It was amusing at first, but as I was clearing out collectibles and other post-game content it became really infuriating.

It's a great game, the sales are deserved and on the whole it was a remarkably bug-free game on release. But that one bug drove me nuts.
Damn that sucks. Hearing Mimir tell different stories while traveling is a core game mechanic of learning the lore of the story.

Top Bottom