• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok: SPOILER-HEIM

hinch7

So is Odin the strongest character in the entire series?

Kratos was weaker than Thor in the first fight and likely couldn't beat Heimdall but surpassed them both with the spear he beat them both cleanly but then Odin had both him and Atreus beat and required a triple team.
Kratos is strongest in the saga, by some margin. He just holds himself back in fit of losing himself in his old rage. Thor recognises this in his first encounter with him.. and then complete annihilates him in the last fight when he doesn't hold back, in his new determined state of mind.

In terms of pure physical strength Kratos >> Thor > Odin. But Odin is wise, all knowing and has magic to make him more powerful than Thor. If that makes sense.

Last edited:

EDMIX

-43 hours
lol same, literally beat it with a few side quest *a good chunk of side quest lol, in exactly 43 hours.

I played for a few more hours and holy shit the side quest in this are amazing. I was out here flooding a dam, to get do a Dragon to save some furry creatures lol
I mean Angrboda says it was her giant magic but that is bs, as in it wasn't even her... It was best boy Fenrir, lol. He can create the rifts, remember?
But its unknown if he could get to Asgard....its unknown if he can even be randomly summoned like that to just assume the dog would do that all by himself, so if they are saying she used the dog and her magic to do something ,who is anyone here to question that in a game they didn't make? lol Thats like saying Surtr didn't do anything, I mean it was all Ragnarok as Surtr lost control, trying to literally dismiss anything done.
-Angrboda saving the day with "much giant magic I dunno" totally destroys everything they worked towards just to give her a role in the story
nahhhhh, she is needed to bring the dog to go between those realms as its not like the dog can just randomly do that and know to go to Asgard at that EXACT time or something and plus I'm sure they had her doing other things behind the scenes.

So nothing here is "just to give her a role" she has a fucking role. She literally is a character in the game that has a deep role into Atreus, the world serpent and theme of the story about fate, destiny etc.
Did they ever explain the time travel shenanigans? And who blew the horn in the first game?

I forget

Some what.

Its left open to interrupt.

-Angrboða and Atreus use the giant sphere thing to put a giants sole into a snake.

-Angrboða later confirms that snake is getting bigger and fast since they last saw it.

-Mimir tells you a story on Thor hitting the world serpent so hard, it went back in time (this is told to you in GOW 2018)

-During the last battle on Asgard you see the world serpent in the fight beat fucking folks, Freya I believe makes a comment on the world serpent looking younger during the battle.

-This is yet another huge nod that the theory many had was actually correct regarding some time travel or alt dimension type thing.

-It explains why the world serpent in GOW 2018 says Atreus looks familiar, its because Angrboða and Atreus put the giants sole in the snake and it likely remembers them.

-End game riding around the world post battle, Mimir even confirms Thor did indeed hit the world serpent back in time.

Though not factually confirmed in the game, a theory I have is that Angrboða's character tells you not to tell anyone about Ironwood, even keeping the idea that Krato's fate is tied to something he shouldn't know, even their own mother hiding what will occur. Maybe this is done so they can complete their timeline the way it REALLY happens, as if they know 100% they will make it thru some battle, what if it cause them to slack off, be off guard, overzealous and just believe NOTHING can alter that fate? The game shows this time and time again.

Maybe the world serpent 100% knows who Atreus is in GOW 2018, but realizes he must never reveal that to allow Atreus to learn, explore, grow and not believe everything is 100% guaranteed.

It was believing that he his father would die that made him fight harder to have him life, thus....it is fate he believes that he will die, to fight with all his might to win the battle to live. So maybe world serpent purposely hides this for the same reasons their mother hide this information.

As you can see, this was one of my favorite narrative points in this game. I thought about it for a bit in GOW 2018, but I thought it was because Atreus was carved in some stone showing who Loki would be or something and the snake was just talking about some prophecy or some shit lol I even thought maybe its cause he knows their mother and Atreus looks like her a bit and she was one of the giants.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I thought that Thor/Odin fights were okay. They did a decent job at making them feel balanced and tense. Although I was really hoping to duke it out against Surtur or at least see him involved more in that final confrontation instead of just being a background set dressing. That final fight really needed that extra punch of having something colossal and epic happening as an interruption in between phases or something.

I was also hoping that Thor's fight with Jormungandr would get a bit more attention instead of being completely skimmed over and kept in the background.

Also hated playing as Atreus. Those sections were too long and boring, with only the essential plot points making them bearable. Overall they ruined the pacing and made the game way longer than it needed to be.

Those are my biggest gripes about the game. Otherwise I loved it.

What's kinda freaky is that on the night before I finished the game, I actually had a dream about Brok dying and I woke up feeling really sad about it. And then I fired up the game to finish it and surprise, surprise - Brok died.

I guess maybe it was already being telegraphed enough in the game that my brain picked up on it subconciously and translated it into a dream but still, it felt super weird to dream about it before it even happened in the game lol.

ikbalCO

So is Odin the strongest character in the entire series?

Kratos was weaker than Thor in the first fight and likely couldn't beat Heimdall but surpassed them both with the spear he beat them both cleanly but then Odin had both him and Atreus beat and required a triple team.
I think he is. In the end they couldnt even beat him but took his soul away while he was injured.

GooseMan69

I thought that Thor/Odin fights were okay. They did a decent job at making them feel balanced and tense. Although I was really hoping to duke it out against Surtur or at least see him involved more in that final confrontation instead of just being a background set dressing. That final fight really needed that extra punch of having something colossal and epic happening as an interruption in between phases or something.

I was also hoping that Thor's fight with Jormungandr would get a bit more attention instead of being completely skimmed over and kept in the background.

Also hated playing as Atreus. Those sections were too long and boring, with only the essential plot points making them bearable. Overall they ruined the pacing and made the game way longer than it needed to be.

Those are my biggest gripes about the game. Otherwise I loved it.

What's kinda freaky is that on the night before I finished the game, I actually had a dream about Brok dying and I woke up feeling really sad about it. And then I fired up the game to finish it and surprise, surprise - Brok died.

I guess maybe it was already being telegraphed enough in the game that my brain picked up on it subconciously and translated it into a dream but still, it felt super weird to dream about it before it even happened in the game lol.

They definitely telegraphed it a little bit. I remember being worried something was going to happen to him when him and Kratos went to get the spear. And also the stuff about him already dying once.

Last edited:

EDMIX

They definitely telegraphed it a little bit. I remember being worried something was going to happen to him when him and Kratos went to get the spear. And also the stuff about him already dying once.

I felt nothing was really going to happen once he met those sisters as thats just like the original God Of War games, he is told of some future about the god of war destroying some city, but you find out its really him doing the destroying as he will become that lol So we know that fate can be changed as a lot of that is in the original games.

GooseMan69

Did any of you actually see the Tyr twist coming? I was stunned, but there’s a bunch of red flags in hindsight. He was such a useless pile of shit that I just kinda forgot he was there, especially with all the other crazy shit happening. I guess that’s exactly what the other characters in game were thinking too lol. Well done by the writers.

EDMIX

Did any of you actually see the Tyr twist coming? I was stunned, but there’s a bunch of red flags in hindsight. He was such a useless pile of shit that I just kinda forgot he was there, especially with all the other crazy shit happening. I guess that’s exactly what the other characters in game were thinking too lol. Well done by the writers.

nah, that twist was genius. I didn't see shit coming.

Only in hindsight can we even start to see some of that, but even then....someone caged for eons would feel war isn't the way, want a different life etc. So him being useless sorta makes sense, he uses his mind and wants to talk about how war changes people, I can see how someone being some POW would think that.

So I never saw it coming as I agreed with what Tyr was saying to a point and understand how someone caged that long might reflect on life differently. To be used in a way as to try to get their guard down, to make them have a different plan, not seek a war is hilarious.

They fucking pulled a Decoy Octopus on us lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
lol same, literally beat it with a few side quest *a good chunk of side quest lol, in exactly 43 hours.

I played for a few more hours and holy shit the side quest in this are amazing. I was out here flooding a dam, to get do a Dragon to save some furry creatures lol

But its unknown if he could get to Asgard....its unknown if he can even be randomly summoned like that to just assume the dog would do that all by himself, so if they are saying she used the dog and her magic to do something ,who is anyone here to question that in a game they didn't make? lol Thats like saying Surtr didn't do anything, I mean it was all Ragnarok as Surtr lost control, trying to literally dismiss anything done.

nahhhhh, she is needed to bring the dog to go between those realms as its not like the dog can just randomly do that and know to go to Asgard at that EXACT time or something and plus I'm sure they had her doing other things behind the scenes.

So nothing here is "just to give her a role" she has a fucking role. She literally is a character in the game that has a deep role into Atreus, the world serpent and theme of the story about fate, destiny etc.

Some what.

Its left open to interrupt.

-Angrboða and Atreus use the giant sphere thing to put a giants sole into a snake.

-Angrboða later confirms that snake is getting bigger and fast since they last saw it.

-Mimir tells you a story on Thor hitting the world serpent so hard, it went back in time (this is told to you in GOW 2018)

-During the last battle on Asgard you see the world serpent in the fight beat fucking folks, Freya I believe makes a comment on the world serpent looking younger during the battle.

-This is yet another huge nod that the theory many had was actually correct regarding some time travel or alt dimension type thing.

-It explains why the world serpent in GOW 2018 says Atreus looks familiar, its because Angrboða and Atreus put the giants sole in the snake and it likely remembers them.

-End game riding around the world post battle, Mimir even confirms Thor did indeed hit the world serpent back in time.

Though not factually confirmed in the game, a theory I have is that Angrboða's character tells you not to tell anyone about Ironwood, even keeping the idea that Krato's fate is tied to something he shouldn't know, even their own mother hiding what will occur. Maybe this is done so they can complete their timeline the way it REALLY happens, as if they know 100% they will make it thru some battle, what if it cause them to slack off, be off guard, overzealous and just believe NOTHING can alter that fate? The game shows this time and time again.

Maybe the world serpent 100% knows who Atreus is in GOW 2018, but realizes he must never reveal that to allow Atreus to learn, explore, grow and not believe everything is 100% guaranteed.

It was believing that he his father would die that made him fight harder to have him life, thus....it is fate he believes that he will die, to fight with all his might to win the battle to live. So maybe world serpent purposely hides this for the same reasons their mother hide this information.

As you can see, this was one of my favorite narrative points in this game. I thought about it for a bit in GOW 2018, but I thought it was because Atreus was carved in some stone showing who Loki would be or something and the snake was just talking about some prophecy or some shit lol I even thought maybe its cause he knows their mother and Atreus looks like her a bit and she was one of the giants.
wait... so that small snake IS THE SNAKE ?!
But this means that the old version exists in midgard at the sae time young version is created in iron woods.
I am trying to understand what is going on here...
But the old version of snake is sent back in time at ragnarok to become the soulless victim of angrboda grandmother?
Then it doesn't make sense because it is not thousands of years old.

And it was never prophesized that Kratos will die? That panel was just fake to MAKE THEM WORK harder towards him not dying ?!

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Only in hindsight can we even start to see some of that, but even then....someone caged for eons would feel war isn't the way, want a different life etc. So him being useless sorta makes sense, he uses his mind and wants to talk about how war changes people, I can see how someone being some POW would think that.

So I never saw it coming as I agreed with what Tyr was saying to a point and understand how someone caged that long might reflect on life differently. To be used in a way as to try to get their guard down, to make them have a different plan, not seek a war is hilarious.

His first conversation with Freya was a dead giveaway upon review.

EDMIX

I am trying to understand what is going on here...

Then it doesn't make sense because it is not thousands of years old.

We know not of how the whole time thing works and I think it makes as much sense as we are ever going to get from it.

They are right to leave it as something you can piece together while allowing a lot of it to be thru interpretation.

Yoboman

Sure maybe. garn could do that. Fenrir maaaybe so.
But then how Atreus moved in sleep to iron forest?
And why the cut away at the end there?
Atreus went there because he discovered the orb from the giants in the shrine, which was shown from the first minute of the game. It activated when he said the name Ironwood.

Beyond that, it's magic. Not sure if you need a scientific explanation

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
We know not of how the whole time thing works and I think it makes as much sense as we are ever going to get from it.

They are right to leave it as something you can piece together while allowing a lot of it to be thru interpretation.
It works perfectly fine AS LONG as it's not the young snake atreus puts souls into.
WE get to ragnarok, old snake goes back in time to thousands of years before... then after thousands of years we meet him in 2018 game and it was so long ago, he might not remember.
But then, how could there be a story of thor hitting snake so hard it went back in time already in 2018 game... if even snake dont remember than.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Atreus went there because he discovered the orb from the giants in the shrine, which was shown from the first minute of the game. It activated when he said the name Ironwood.

Beyond that, it's magic. Not sure if you need a scientific explanation
If you start explaining stuff with "but it's mah magic", then you get inro Marvel territory where nothing makes sense, verything gets retconned, nothing works and whatever magic plot device they need at this time, gets invented and you can always ask "but whey didn't they use it before".
It is nonsense and I expect better.
I don't have a problem with amgic... but it needs some rules. We know what Gandalf does but if he started showering orcs with meteorite rain in 3rd movie, we would ask... but hey, you could do that 2 movies ago.

EDMIX

It works perfectly fine AS LONG as it's not the young snake atreus puts souls into.

I disagree, I think it works great that he is putting the giants soul in the snake, they snake went back in time to become itself and that is why in GOW 2018, it recalls Atreus's face.

he might not remember

Maybe, but in that universe, folks out here remember some grudge from 3000 years ago lol It fits into the lore if the snake literally waited thousands of years to do 1 part, aka his life mission lol

But then, how could there be a story of thor hitting snake so hard it went back in time already in 2018 game

It is to introduce that the time lines can shift, be altered etc.

Its merely to show that we don't know which came first to add some mystery.

So Atreus put a giant's soul into a snake that gets giant.

The giant snake we know of now remembers Atreus face in God Of War 2018

God Of War 2018 Mimir states a rumor about Thor hitting the world serpent so hard it went back in time.

The ending Battle at Asgard, they state the world serpent looks different, like younger

So in GOW 2018 the horn being blown could be the past Loki calling his friend the world serpent or really anyone calling the world serpent to ensure the time line or the events take place to aid the good guys or something.

So I think its fine the way it is.

If you start explaining stuff with "but it's mah magic

...but it is. This isn't a sci-fi or something, the series is deeply rooted in fantasy.

So....don't think to deep on it lol I don't think anyone can make some thing that is perfect regarding time travel as its merely a theory. So many versions of how that work exist, I don't think anyone can say how the snake thing fits in GOW could be wrong on some theory. I've read theories on doppelgangers, alternate universe, the past self replacing the current as not to destroy the universe lol There isn't a 100% right or yes or no regarding that yet for anyone to believe there would be a wrong way to do the whole world serpent thing.

I think its fine the way it is and allows for some mystery and lore to take place.

Keep in mind, for all you know some set of rules does exist, they merely don't know all the answers to that, thus the characters are puzzled at how this can be, even if a explanation exist. I love getting answers to shit too, but life doesn't give you all answers.

Even Odin doesn't get all that in the end with the mask lol Maybe the game is telling you something about that in that scene.

Last edited:
But the old version of snake is sent back in time at ragnarok to become the soulless victim of angrboda grandmother?
What? Why is this time travel stuff involve with soulless snake?
I'm trying to understand what you said here.
Soulless snake -> Younger version - > Younger version was sent back in time to become GOW 2018 version. Not the older version.
GOW 2018 version is still lying some where in Midgard.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I think we'll see a spin-off series of games with Atreus - so much more to be told in his story.

Will the next God of War be in Egypt? I think the last prophecy Kratos saw, had some symbolism to Egyptian gods - like the Eye of Horus. Although Egyptian gods "ruled" a long long time before Norse gods were even a thing.

Liamario

Banned
Just going to fire our some thoughts.
Game is overall as good as the previous entry.
Loved the spear, in fact I'd go as far as saying that the blades of chaos are getting a little boring.

Found a lot of the American accents completely out of place and grating. The lady dwarf's accent was particularly egregious.

The writing around Atreus and his peers was very inappropriate at times and not in keeping with the setting. Some of the interactions and verbiage wouldn't be out of place in the MCU.
Ratacunt is another example of breaking the aesthetic.

Not really interested in an Atreus game, but they're obviously setting up something.

Thrud character design was awful. The hair, is just cringey and she was utterly pointless.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What? Why is this time travel stuff involve with soulless snake?
I'm trying to understand what you said here.
Soulless snake -> Younger version - > Younger version was sent back in time to become GOW 2018 version. Not the older version.
GOW 2018 version is still lying some where in Midgard.
Yes but this presums that the soulless snake is THE SNAKE and this means that he grew from that size in iron woods, to the size in ragnarok fight in just a few days.
Then got punched so hard, he got sent thousands of years back.
He didn't got punched to get younger. He got punched and went back in time.

...but it is. This isn't a sci-fi or something, the series is deeply rooted in fantasy.
Doesn't matter. Fantasy has it's rules too... otherwise there are no stakes.
And I was expecting GOW to not be sch a deep fantasy. I was thinking more alongside 2018 and lotr. Not narnia if you know what I mean.
but it's ok. It makes some sense if I am not nitpicking

Yes but this presums that the soulless snake is THE SNAKE and this means that he grew from that size in iron woods, to the size in ragnarok fight in just a few days.
Then got punched so hard, he got sent thousands of years back.
He didn't got punched to get younger. He got punched and went back in time.

Doesn't matter. Fantasy has it's rules too... otherwise there are no stakes.
And I was expecting GOW to not be sch a deep fantasy. I was thinking more alongside 2018 and lotr. Not narnia if you know what I mean.
but it's ok. It makes some sense if I am not nitpicking
Well the snake has giant soul in it now. When Atreus meet Angrboda at Muspelheim, She said the snake grow really fast.
And i think time in Ironwood is slower than other place. Because Atreus just been there like few hours then when he came back to Midgard it's 2 days pass.

When i said younger and older I mean difference versions of Jormungandr.
Jormungandr in the final battle is the Younger version.
Jormungandr in earlier of the game is the Older version. And it's the 2018 version.

Last edited:

GC_DALBEN

First of all sorry about my english.

I really liked the game, almost perfect, 60+fps with vrr its awesome, i dont like a lot of things, it gets VERY repetitive, some of the story bits are lame and did not like the ending ( a little too happy), there are more problems but these are the ones that stood out.

I Finished the game in 52 hrs on hard, i explored almost everything, a lot of walking and not rushing anything.

- I Loved every character design, it was already great, but after you reach Asgard it gets even better, so many great characters

- Sound design is great

- So many great locations

- A lot of bosses, but a lot of them are the same, i am a little disappointed, i did not liked the Odin Fight, it was a ok fight, the Thor fight was too easy... Heimdal was good, but easy and we should have MAULED or BEHEADED him GOW3 style

- Combat is very good, a lot of variations

- I liked playing as atreus, his moveset is good, but i did not loved, i Wanted to play more as Kratos

- The game is easier than the 2018 (but its not easy, its good)

- I Liked the THOR design, better than making him a killing machine, i felt sorry for him at the end, but the did the right thing

- Odin should have suffered A LOT MORE

- Sindri is great (the best char) but it fell off at the ending, still, a badass character

- A lot of things felt rushed at the end, the story and i im disappointed a the last fights, it should be a lot more epic

9,0/10 game, i prefer the 2018 one, but i think it's because the game introduced us to this awesome universe, what a great year, a lot of great games and ELDEN RING and GOW2 as two of the best games ever, Elden Ring still the game of the year FOR ME.

This game is the 2º best PS5 game, i did not kept thinking about the game after finishing it, the best PS5 still is RETURNAL IMO.

Do the hidden quest in Niflheim after beating the game. It's the only time you can do it. You find a prison and free the real Tyr and dialogue is top notch and leads to the future God of War games.

Last edited:
Well the snake has giant soul in it now. When Atreus meet Angrboda at Muspelheim, She said the snake grow really fast.
And i think time in Ironwood is slower than other place. Because Atreus just been there like few hours then when he came back to Midgard it's 2 days pass.

When i said younger and older I mean difference versions of Jormungandr.
Jormungandr in the final battle is the Younger version.
Jormungandr in earlier of the game is the Older version. And it's the 2018 version.
Yeah I'm pretty sure there are just two snakes. One is the young one, the other is the old one. The young one disappears after the final battle because he was hit into the past by Thor to eventually become the old snake. Of course this is one of those weird chicken/egg scenarios but it is pretty standard when it comes to time travel plots.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The game is easier than the 2018 (but its not easy, its good)
Interesting. I would say opposite. I replayed 2018 in january this year and it was much easier.
Ragnarok felt like elden ring super fast enemies at times :p
edit: Easier is good... I don't like the crazy difficulty jump in games.... difficult=popular nowadays

Last edited:
I loved every single thing about it. My only complaint is there wasn't a moment that hyped me as much as getting the blades in 2018 and going outside and annihilating people immediately. Don't think they could possibly top that.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I loved every single thing about it. My only complaint is there wasn't a moment that hyped me as much as getting the blades in 2018 and going outside and annihilating people immediately. Don't think they could possibly top that.

I think they could have come close! Imagine when be gets the spear and steps out of the iron bell, it takes us back to him remembering his spartan training. Using the spear before he became associated with Ares. It would have been an amazing return to greece for a brief moment and give us a visual of what he has mentioned a few times throughout the game!

Real Tyr is flex.
After a hundred years of winter imprisonment, travels through the worlds and does yoga. Hardcore hippie lol.
Read online that the real Tyr in subtitle is Týr and Odin's Tyr is just Tyr. Neat.

Yeah I'm pretty sure there are just two snakes. One is the young one, the other is the old one. The young one disappears after the final battle because he was hit into the past by Thor to eventually become the old snake. Of course this is one of those weird chicken/egg scenarios but it is pretty standard when it comes to time travel plots.

Yeah. It's really simple but kind of confusing lol.
I saw a lots of people on youtube still believe that Jormungandr is in a time loop now lol.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OMFG Youtube recommended me some guy playing.
I like watching others react to my fav moments in game so why not.
This s the most miserable, piece of shit guy with worst takes ever. Anyone know him?

Like holy shit... I might have my problems with this game but he is straight miserable.
"who fucing cares for the blue guy"
"just like marvel"
"it sucks"
"it's a walking corridor"
"Gamers are brain dead nowadays"
"if you could skip every cutscene it would be maybe worth our time"
"10/10" (in sarcastic voice)
"you can see the game had more writer women" - lol what is going on.

Constant whining on another level. crazy guy. He should seek therapy.
I understand he don't like the game but omg.
And there are 500 people watching and shitting on the game. I am the usual shitter but cmon but with this attitude like him, the only thing left to do is quit gaming :messenger_tears_of_joy:

1TWOqAZ.png

edit: I realize I've seen some of his other videos. He is the typical negative antiwoke guy even if there is not a hint of woke. you bet your ass he hated tlou2 lol (probably)

Last edited:
OMFG Youtube recommended me some guy playing.
I like watching others react to my fav moments in game so why not.
This s the most miserable, piece of shit guy with worst takes ever. Anyone know him?

Like holy shit... I might have my problems with this game but he is straight miserable.
"who fucing cares for the blue guy"
"just like marvel"
"it sucks"
"it's a walking corridor"
"Gamers are brain dead nowadays"
"if you could skip every cutscene it would be maybe worth our time"
"10/10" (in sarcastic voice)
"you can see the game had more writer women" - lol what is going on.

Constant whining on another level. crazy guy. He should seek therapy.
I understand he don't like the game but omg.
And there are 500 people watching and shitting on the game. I am the usual shitter but cmon but with this attitude like him, the only thing left to do is quit gaming :messenger_tears_of_joy:

1TWOqAZ.png

edit: I realize I've seen some of his other videos. He is the typical negative antiwoke guy even if there is not a hint of woke. you bet your ass he hated tlou2 lol (probably)
Come on dude there’s plenty of great streamers out their, MaxamillionDood, MegMage, and Marz although she went full Twitch. Never go full Twitch.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Come on dude there’s plenty of great streamers out their, MaxamillionDood, MegMage, and Marz although she went full Twitch. Never go full Twitch.
I don't watch streams on youtube aside from MBG (podcaster)
On twitch, I watch the usual, Elajazz, happy hob, distortion2 etc.
Watching Dist do the same bosses was super enjoyable. The guy is a parry monster

I don't watch streams on youtube aside from MBG (podcaster)
On twitch, I watch the usual, Elajazz, happy hob, distortion2 etc.
Watching Dist do the same bosses was super enjoyable. The guy is a parry monster
A lot of great streamers on Twitch, but it's a site I can never get used to. The UI is overwhelming, and half the streamers ignore the game and are busy paying attention to the chat lol but I'm going off topic here. Ignore me.

iorek21

Just realized that they resolved one of the most interesting conflicts of the saga offscreen (Light vs Dark Elves) in the final hour.

Kratos uniting all realms would’ve been way better than 5 hours of Atreus walking around swamps and climbing walls.

Last edited:

GC_DALBEN

Interesting. I would say opposite. I replayed 2018 in january this year and it was much easier.
Ragnarok felt like elden ring super fast enemies at times :p
edit: Easier is good... I don't like the crazy difficulty jump in games.... difficult=popular nowadays
Hmm maybe my build is a little OP this time? After you get the lance you have so many RUNIC ATTACKS that makes the fights a lot easier. I was doing a little free roam last night after finishing the game and changed my gear, the game felt more dificult, either way, this game is great and i love it, i already wanna start again on very hard (but i dont have enough free time).

RickSanchez

To all the people complaining about the combat is hard, stop crying and get good. I played 2nd time on GMGOW and did all main bosses with 0 hits. Either A) You are slow, or B) You don't understand combat design, animation frames, C) Simply Suck or D) All of the above. In all honesty, it is not that difficult.

Was there a point to this last line ? Did it make you feel better about yourself and your life ? If the only people playing video games were the "git gud" self-proclaimed chads like you, the entire video game industry would have collapsed long ago. Sony first party titles are critical and financial success stories because they are accessible to casual players.

FYI i am indeed 'slow' and 'simply suck' at most games; but thank fuck that most publishers choose to include a 'story difficulty' mode for players like me, and good for the publishers too because casuals who spend money on full-priced games far outnumber the vocal minority git-gud crowd.

I thoroughly enjoyed GoW 2018 and Ragnarok because they both had the 'story' difficulty mode. Great experience in both games.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

The OT has started getting dicey, and many of us have beat the game and are dying to talk all about it! So here we are I'll start first,

I reeaaally enjoyed it, but not as much as the last one. Combat is so much fun but I don't feel like they added all that much. The skill trees are almost exactly the same, unlocking the same moves from the first one. Only one new weapon was kind of a let down too.

The realms were pretty and interesting, but I was hoping for more outlandish areas. I didn't mind going back to midgard and alfheim since they changed so much, but helheim and muspelheim were just the same.

My BIGGEST gripe though is how underwhelming asgard and the rest of the pantheon were though. Like it makes sense lore wise, but the reveal of it being a little shitty skyrim village was so deflating for me. And then Thor is this bipolar cuck (understandable as his whole family is dying and odin dont care), and his end fight is lackluster. Odin's end fight wasn't great either.

Also the fights where its just 5 lizards or eyeballs or floating sigils...wack.

But no I swear I really enjoyed it lol I was just hoping for some old kratos/god of war badassery in the end. At least they didn't kill him! Was so relieved

Agree with most everything you said. The generally directionless story, run-of-the-mill final set piece and Thor's ending were disappointing to me. Some of those sigil/wisp enemies were more annoying than anything.

GoW 2018 just feels better overall after playing this.

But i am happy that Kratos got a happy ending, because i was 95% sure he was going to die in Loki's arms.

RickSanchez

i have just finished the main story literally seconds ago.

clocked it in around 33 hours with most of the important side stories complete. still needs to clear out some of the berserkers but coming from the rush of the ending i have to take some time off to return.

Same! just rolled the credits at 33 hours with the main side missions done. But i am too exhausted to continue.

ok first, i have to say it was my mistake to play and finish the first one again 2 days before the ragnarök launch. in the begining, it felt like shifting from gear 5 to gear 1 since i had maxed out abilities and armors in the gow '18.

Again, same! i played GoW 2018 and Ragnarok basically back-to-back and it was very jarring to just have my Kratos reset to zero at the beginning of Ragnarok.

odin. for me the part where you play atreus and interact with odin are the highlight of this game. he is such a cool character, possibly the only complex one in the franchise while every one is either good or evil, odin is kinda neither. he is more evil than good but in thisgame he kinda i dont know, convinced me? i though he was kinda right and what he was after was divine. i too wanted to know what was in that crack and shared his dissapointment when everything went to shit.

Odin's acting by Richard Schiff was phenomenal

writing in this game is also very good. not narative but the dialog. there are some part that really moved me. one specifaclly between kratos and odin, it was in the trailer but the mundane way of how it happens, i really like. " What do you even know of godhood? In your life time has anyone ever worshiped you, ever prayed to you? Can you even imagine that kind of love? NO!" Different perspective on what its like to be a god and you see Kratos really feels bad after hearing this which makes the last mural reveal much more meaningful.

Moment to moment dialog was indeed good with some brilliant moments like these. But i think the overall narrative was better in GoW2018. This one felt much more unfocused and messy.

this back forth between mimir and kratos made me chuckled. mimir find it suprising that kratos likes poetry. and kratos says, why are you suprised? my people are known for being cultured. i mean we've seen kratos in a lot of emotions but never offended until that moment.

We definitely good to see a softer side of Kratos in this one and i am glad for that.

one dialog that reall awful is heimdall calling kratos a monster as kratos killing him. dude, you just told the guy that you will gutt his teenage son. like, where do you come off?

I enjoyed strangling that little shit

unlike the first game, ragnarök does not have "a main goal". in the 2018th one your main goal is to spread fey's ashes and no matter what happens this does not change. there is no clearity with this one. is it to protect atreus? save kratos? avoid certain fate? know the infinite knowledge? stop ragnarök? bring ragnarök? kill odin? neither? or all? i dont know but the overall narrative does not allowed ragnarök to have a forward momentum.

100% agree. I read somewhere that Cory Barlog was not the director of this one, maybe that made a difference ?

the game is a bit bloated, not because of the side missions but because of the main ones. entire mid game is just fetch quests. sad that, it is so obvious they were put in to make the game longer. you have the get the ring, find the forge and get the spear and find the mask and the the other part of the mask, ups, wrong place try another place. ay ay ay. move along already.

The whole middle bit where Loki faffs about with Angboda gathering vegetables was sooooo tedious. They could easily have cut an hour from there to make the ending more fleshed out

end game is both epic and not. i find some parts of it overemotional and a bit too gen-z but it may depend on the player i guess. a lot more than the saving ellie decision, i wish i got to choose whether to put on the mask or not. because i was conflicted. i wanted to save kratos but know the infinite truth aswell. but, oh well.

I was genuinely sad that Loki broke the mask, i was sooo curious to see inside the green rift.

and after 80 hours of gow in three weeks, i am ready to get away from gaming for awhile.

imma get back to Cyberpunk now

Agree with most everything you said. The generally directionless story, run-of-the-mill final set piece and Thor's ending were disappointing to me. Some of those sigil/wisp enemies were more annoying than anything.

GoW 2018 just feels better overall after playing this.

But i am happy that Kratos got a happy ending, because i was 95% sure he was going to die in Loki's arms.
The worst part about the trash mobs is the chaos blades aim+r1 instant kills them! So they were less annoying and more monotonous to me

I think the next game will probably again be Atreus and Kratos, with Atreus being more like kratos as an adult and kratos being a grandfather type - and hopefully it’ll be in Egypt

What did y’all think about the ending? Thought it was rather underwhelming…
Kratos should've died.

They should've made the story so that the prophecies would be inevitable. But that's just me.

It wasn't too bad though, just underwhelming, like you said.

I also think they should've cut the story short by 10hrs, a bit too much filler imo, like the mask fetch quests and that whats-his-name-brother-of-Freya rescue-mission.

Kratos should've died.

They should've made the story so that the prophecies would be inevitable. But that's just me.

It wasn't too bad though, just underwhelming, like you said.

I also think they should've cut the story short by 10hrs, a bit too much filler imo, like the mask fetch quests and that whats-his-name-brother-of-Freya rescue-mission.
Kratos should of died? So you don't want another God of War game? And no, no one wants a God of War with atreus as main character, trust me.

You do realize God of War without Kratos is like Halo wouldn't exist without Master Chief or Zelda without Link. Could you even imagine a Halo or Zelda without their iconic characters? You people have the most retarded ideas and fantasies. Jesus christ, another silly 🤡 lol.

Last edited:
Kratos should of died? So you don't want another God of War game? And no, no one wants a God of War with atreus as main character, trust me.

You do realize God of War without Kratos is like Halo with can't exist without Master Chief or Zelda without link. Could you even imagine a Halo or Zelda without their iconic characters? You people have the most retarded ideas and fantasies. Jesus christ, another silly 🤡 lol.
Or, they could just end the series?

Iirc GOW was originally intended as a single entry game.

Last edited:
Or, they could just end the series?

Iirc GOW was originally intended as a single entry game.
Why would you end the series though? There still so many pantheons to visit. Have you ever used your imagination as a child or you are just blinded by the light in the tunnel and refuse too see what else is out there? Not trying to be mean.

It's a fantastic franchise. Why hasn't Zelda ended yet or Mario? Because it's iconic to Nintendo as Kratos is as Iconic to Sony. Just like Halo is Iconic to Microsoft and so is Gears of War.

Besides GoW 2018 was a straight up spiritual Reboot that played completely differently from the OG games, so it's from being a "same" exact game.

Open your eyes and mind dude.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Absolutely loved it, though I got a bit sour at certain things towards the end. Get the bad out the way first

1. The number of renaimation or refilling health of bosses you thought were dead got really tedious. It's a cool gimmick when used right but it was over indulgent and very fatiguing near the end. With the exception of Hemidall, I don't think any phase really deserved a resurrection, though Garm's was actually well crafted too;
2. In general the last 2/3 hours just felt like a slogfest. I was playing on hard ?(not super hard), and still had those issues with spongey enemies. It 'felt' better than 1 but again the last sequence kind of bored me because it was just like punching walls, and even trying to make the combat interesting was just what I'd been doing along the main trail.
3. Some of those environments were shitty to get stuck in or caught on the invisible boundaries, especially with the dreki fights.
4. I didn't really like the way Maven blocked progress, thought that was poor design without gating the way in at least. That was a tough enemy as a hard lock, and the Hateful was a fucking piece of iron;

Onto the good

1. Amazing graphics;
2. Great enemy variety and design this time round;
3. The spear and spartan link was good;
4. I actually liked the story and characters;
5. I genuinely enjoyed the Atreus parts, different moveset/skills made it way more interesting;
6. The combat is so deep and when you're linking runics into standard attacks, change stances, proccing elements then changing weapon it really is incredible;
7. The side content was excellent;
8. Kratos survived!!

Why would you end the series though? There still so many pantheons to visit. Have you ever used your imagination as a child or you are just blinded by the light in the tunnel and refuse too see what else is out there? Not trying to be mean.

It's a fantastic franchise. Why hasn't Zelda ended yet or Mario? Because it's iconic to Nintendo as Kratos is as Iconic to Sony. Just like Halo is Iconic to Microsoft and so is Gears of War.

Besides GoW 2018 was a straight up spiritual Reboot that played completely differently from the OG games, so it's from being a "same" exact game.

Open your eyes and mind dude.
I get what you're saying.

But sometimes, it's best to quit at the peak instead of dragging on until everybody gets tired and the franchise gets stale.

Which already happened to the franchise, hence the soft-reboot with the Atreus-arch.

The franchise is almost 20 years old as well.
At least give it a rest.

But again, that's just me.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying.

But sometimes, it's best the quit at the peak instead of dragging on until everybody gets tired and the franchise gets stale.

Which already happened to the franchise, hence the soft-reboot with the Atreus-arch.

The franchise is almost 20 years old as well.
At least give it a rest.

But again, that's just me.
So what if its 20 years old? Mario has been around since 1981 and as far as I am concerned people want more Mario.

Halo is also been around since 2001 and is still kicking. Granted, it's not as popular as it used to be, but that's another huge different can of worms that I am not discussing here due too 343 incompetence.

Diablo has been around since late 90s and people cannot wait for Diablo 4 to come out. Diablo 2 an ancient game from the year 2000 was Remastered last year and is considered a huge success.

If you are tired of the franchise, then that's a personal thing. You don't have to play it anymore if you don't want too.

Also, a character doesn't really have to die in order for a franchise to end. Oh and speaking of Kratos's death I believe he committed suicide at the end of God of War 3, destroying himself and Olympus with it. One thing that bugs me is that it isn't explained how Kratos "survived" or managed to traverse to a different Pantheon.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Dude. No joke, i have started playin CP2077 right after i finish ragnarök amd 10 hours in already :D

What is it that push us to cp after ragnarök?

haha, actually i had abandoned a playthrough of CP77 before i started my GoW 2018 and Ragnarok playthrough, so i'm getting back to it.

Also CP77 is fucking good

Last edited:
So what if its 20 years old? Mario has been around since 1981 and as far as I am concerned people want more Mario.

Halo is also been around since 2001 and is still kicking. Granted, it's not as popular as it used to be, but that's another huge different can of worms that I am not discussing here due too 343 incompetence.

Diablo has been around since late 90s and people cannot wait for Diablo 4 to come out. Diablo 2 an ancient game from the year 2000 was Remastered last year and is considered a huge success.

If you are tired of the franchise, then that's a personal thing. You don't have to play it anymore if you don't want too.

Also, a character doesn't really have to die in order for a franchise to end. Oh and speaking of Kratos's death I believe he committed suicide at the end of God of War 3, destroying himself and Olympus with it. One thing that bugs me is that it isn't explained how Kratos "survived" or managed to traverse to a different Pantheon.
Nvm, if that's how you feel, no problem.

You do realize God of War without Kratos is like Halo wouldn't exist without Master Chief or Zelda without Link. Could you even imagine a Halo or Zelda without their iconic characters? You people have the most retarded ideas and fantasies. Jesus christ, another silly 🤡 lol.
Agreed.

Atreus was annoying enough in the game, imagine having him as the main character.

Top Bottom