• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok: SPOILER-HEIM

nowhat

Sure maybe. garn could do that. Fenrir maaaybe so.
But then how Atreus moved in sleep to iron forest?
And why the cut away at the end there?
depositphotos_82284502-stock-photo-magician-hands-with-magic-wand.jpg

That's all I have, really. I mean, there's so much hand-waving going on (not just in the games, but also in the mythology it's based on) that I'm willing to accept the "wizard did it"-approach. If we're talking about the source material, it would have been interesting to see Loki transform into a mare, get impregnated by stallion and give birth to an eight-legged horse, but I suppose we can't have everything.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

That's all I have, really. I mean, there's so much hand-waving going on (not just in the games, but also in the mythology it's based on) that I'm willing to accept the "wizard did it"-approach. If we're talking about the source material, it would have been interesting to see Loki transform into a mare, get impregnated by stallion and give birth to an eight-legged horse, but I suppose we can't have everything.
I don't care for following source material. I DONT want them to follow it. yet it still feels like gow characters in ragnarok story.... should be other way around.
Anyway... yeah magic. I was just hoping for a bit more "grounded" magic. You know. more like lotr. Less like narnia

Vaelka

My dude just dead and a fking orbiter already moving in.

Ehm... Why is Hildisvini a black guy rofl.
If they go to Egypt there will be Europeans there too right?..

Right?...

I know people want to dismiss this issue but wtf is going on even lol, it's always black people too it's not even like there's others there too.
It's just weird and really transparent and obnoxious what they're doing.

gow3isben

Also man the last fucking boss fight, compared to Baldur Odin's fight sucked ass. Not cinematic at all, no giant snake boi, yeah the 3 fighting was ok but shit was already done before and felt rushed.

They NEEDED to make the giant surtr thing the final fight!

Right?...

I know people want to dismiss this issue but wtf is going on even lol, it's always black people too it's not even like there's others there too.
Misunderstood your point. Sorry.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I feel the impact would be much better if the ending finished with Brok funreal with camera breaking free from our characters for first time. Just following the flaming arrow into the sky.... over... credits.
Or make Kratos look at his panel, then have goodbye with atreus and do a huge pan our of whole midgard

zellend

Neo Member
Personally I'm in 2 minds with this game. It felt too long yet too short. The atreus bits were long n boring. Especially the bit with the giant girl, would have been better as a cutscene.

The combat was fun but a bit too samey. I did enjoy the intro of the spear. Little things like having to be at a certain spot to get the spear ledge just broke the flow for me.

The characters were pretty good and I enjoyed the story overall and it was fun but it did feel underwhelming when it ended.

Valonquar

Platinumed late last night:

The Good:
The level design being fairly open. Environments were extremely pretty and well lit.
Cutscene models were just insane. The level of emotional expression on character faces was pretty impressive.
Battles were fun, decent amount of boss variation this time. The variety of fighting styles in the Atreus sections were a welcome addition.
Sound design was good.
Overall I feel like Sindri's decent into rage was supposed to be a play on what happened to Kratos in previous games where gods caused him to lose his family. It was painful to go through, but worked emotionally.

The Bad:

I did all the Muspelheim challenges as soon as they were available mid storyline and the armor trivialized the rest of the game. Once I had that armor I could just literally mash R1 the entire time while occasionally hitting L1 or X to counter or dodge.
I wanted a lot more of Fenrir. Like the entire time the cast of characters were talking about how they didn't know how they were going to get to Asguard... directly after creating this giant pet wolf that claws through dimensions...I was like W T F GUYS COMEON. Then Angrboda randomly uses him for the exact same purpose during the fight instead of the main characters... WHY.
They way the prophecy was subverted was really kind of dumb. Having it be Odin cradled in Atreus' arms instead of Kratos would have been ok, but the order of events shown in the prophecy panel was wrong then compared to the rest of the storytelling via panels, and then the panels at the very end were just there to what exactly, say we aren't making more games because everyone will just now love Kratos?
Tyr-Odin was just... unbelievably dumb, and made even dumber when you find actual Tyr post game and he is just like "you seem familiar... bye." W H A T. It was just there to facilitate Brok dying as a result of a God, which I feel could have been done 100 better ways.
Atreus\Loki just randomly fucking off at the end. I get the idea behind the theme of it, but in the context of the game world it made zero real sense. He already had the marbles, so what was he searching for exactly? Bodies to put them in?
The entire final act rushing through the whole "Let's send one person to each REALM to get them to help fight Asguard" thing was unbelievably stupid. It was even more hilarious when the Dwarf gate opens and it's just Sindri and he's like "yeah fuck you."

The Ugly:
Over 10 times during my play-through I encountered 1 game crash that required rebooting my PS5, 2 times an enemy glitched and became un-targetable, 5 times I got stuck in random map geometry, and twice my wolf\monster sled trapped me unable to move at all which required restarting from last checkpoint.
Finishing things up for the platinum trophy required several times where I had to run over 10 minutes through areas with zero enemies only to encounter a blocked path because a cutscene event moved you past it and no way there now, run 10 minutes back to the warp door and come from the other side, with 5 mintues just runing in circles lost.
Cross-Gen limitations make the PS5's loading speed irrelevant. The 1st few times you have to lift the same fucking leaning stone pillar it's bearable. The 100th time you have to sit through the "pass through a crack in the wall" animation you lose a bit of your soul.
They included the trolls from the 1st game and just gave them the exact same death animation. I feel like the lack of variety of bosses was addressed, but not the fact that the deaths were reused too much and makes it have less impact.
TELL NPCs to SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HINTS. The worst is when you're backtracking for trophies... and the NPCs are hinting about a puzzle or hidden room you've already solved. With all the accessibility options they added, it's surprising they didn't have an option to turn hints off entirely.

Bartski

Gold Member

yeah that's kind of what I mean. There is nothing there that would break my suspension of disbelief within the boundaries set by the core fantasy and narrative.

One thing I missed is seeing Odin get torn to shreds rather than the peaceful send-off

Last edited:

kingwingin

Cool little detail I totally missed was how odins ravens are his tattoos. When he is with atreus he has his left arm only and when discovered as tyr he has his right arm tattooed.

Except when odin meets up with Kratos after he gets the spear. There, odin has both arm tattoos, so how did he get back to sindris?

Edit: so I looked up a few cutscene complications and it seems like he only has 1 tattoo in this scene except one video I watched he had both. Guess a glitch that was fixed with the day one patch

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Platinumed late last night:

The Good:
The level design being fairly open. Environments were extremely pretty and well lit.
Cutscene models were just insane. The level of emotional expression on character faces was pretty impressive.
Battles were fun, decent amount of boss variation this time. The variety of fighting styles in the Atreus sections were a welcome addition.
Sound design was good.
Overall I feel like Sindri's decent into rage was supposed to be a play on what happened to Kratos in previous games where gods caused him to lose his family. It was painful to go through, but worked emotionally.

The Bad:
I did all the Muspelheim challenges as soon as they were available mid storyline and the armor trivialized the rest of the game. Once I had that armor I could just literally mash R1 the entire time while occasionally hitting L1 or X to counter or dodge.
I wanted a lot more of Fenrir. Like the entire time the cast of characters were talking about how they didn't know how they were going to get to Asguard... directly after creating this giant pet wolf that claws through dimensions...I was like W T F GUYS COMEON. Then Angrboda randomly uses him for the exact same purpose during the fight instead of the main characters... WHY.
They way the prophecy was subverted was really kind of dumb. Having it be Odin cradled in Atreus' arms instead of Kratos would have been ok, but the order of events shown in the prophecy panel was wrong then compared to the rest of the storytelling via panels, and then the panels at the very end were just there to what exactly, say we aren't making more games because everyone will just now love Kratos?
Tyr-Odin was just... unbelievably dumb, and made even dumber when you find actual Tyr post game and he is just like "you seem familiar... bye." W H A T. It was just there to facilitate Brok dying as a result of a God, which I feel could have been done 100 better ways.
Atreus\Loki just randomly fucking off at the end. I get the idea behind the theme of it, but in the context of the game world it made zero real sense. He already had the marbles, so what was he searching for exactly? Bodies to put them in?
The entire final act rushing through the whole "Let's send one person to each REALM to get them to help fight Asguard" thing was unbelievably stupid. It was even more hilarious when the Dwarf gate opens and it's just Sindri and he's like "yeah fuck you."

The Ugly:
Over 10 times during my play-through I encountered 1 game crash that required rebooting my PS5, 2 times an enemy glitched and became un-targetable, 5 times I got stuck in random map geometry, and twice my wolf\monster sled trapped me unable to move at all which required restarting from last checkpoint.
Finishing things up for the platinum trophy required several times where I had to run over 10 minutes through areas with zero enemies only to encounter a blocked path because a cutscene event moved you past it and no way there now, run 10 minutes back to the warp door and come from the other side, with 5 mintues just runing in circles lost.
Cross-Gen limitations make the PS5's loading speed irrelevant. The 1st few times you have to lift the same fucking leaning stone pillar it's bearable. The 100th time you have to sit through the "pass through a crack in the wall" animation you lose a bit of your soul.
They included the trolls from the 1st game and just gave them the exact same death animation. I feel like the lack of variety of bosses was addressed, but not the fact that the deaths were reused too much and makes it have less impact.
TELL NPCs to SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HINTS. The worst is when you're backtracking for trophies... and the NPCs are hinting about a puzzle or hidden room you've already solved. With all the accessibility options they added, it's surprising they didn't have an option to turn hints off entirely.
dude perfect summary. I agree100%. Your "the bad" section on story is perfect. Whole Angrboda stuff is just shoved in for no reason. The prophecy stuff too is also confusing. I think they made it so Faye/angrboda/whoever painted this "kratos will die" panel as a FAKE, so kratos and atreus would follow FAKE destiny. The thoguht is that if they knew their real destiny from the get go, it would be harder to avoid? But it happens anyway so idk.

And as for the bugs, yeah there were some. i had 2x fps drops such that I had to restart the game. 1 time controller lagged out and multiple times bugged UI with Kratos holding nothing. But other than that no bugs or crashes.

And not forget about Dwarves... who are they?! Why can they teleport everywhere all the time but only when convenient ?!

Last edited:

Right?...

Yeah, it’s pretty bad. It shows how lowly they think of black people. Create a game based on African culture (which they won’t) if having black people in your game is so important.

hinch7

Memes aside. Sindri was a highlight of the game for me, at the end. Nearly everyone underestimated the guy throughout the story, yet he came out one of the most capable and pivotal characters in the whole saga. He brang Brok back from the dead (as best as he could). Who helped Kratos/Loki in their path with items of power and keeping them both alive for Ragnarok to occur, and in a sense affect history itself.

Created armor and weapons for an army against the Aesir and had a weapon made capable of killing them. On top of playing a massive role in the Ragnarok war. Sad he had such a bitter ending though. I wonder if they do make another GoW that he'll come back as an antagonist.

Last edited:

kingwingin

What is up with the mask? Does it have any truth in norse mythology? I tried searching about it but all I can find is that scene from son of mask where odin has loki find the mask. That can't be referencing that movie, can it?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I will post some positivity in here.... man this game

Sad he had such a bitter ending though. I wonder if they do make another GoW that he'll come back as an antagonist.
yeah really hoped he would at least smile a bit to the Kratos :(
Kratos really gave Brok the best thing a blacksmith could receive. The weapon blessing scene

edit: Man... the more time passes after finishing the game the more I like it. I always need few days to settle on the game.
I am starting to think that Kratos ending was actually quite nice. He opens the panel and sees himself as this loved god.... from most cruel god to most loved one. But we are not sure if it's now or in the future.
There could possibly be another game where he rebuilds all realms

Last edited:

hinch7

I will post some positivity in here.... man this game

yeah really hoped he would at least smile a bit to the Kratos :(
Kratos really gave Brok the best thing a blacksmith could receive. The weapon blessing scene

Same, would've liked a response, but he looked broken beyond repair. And yeah some of the scenes in Ragnarok was so well done. Loved the passion he had for it despite missing a large part of his soul. And the music idd amazing.

RIP though, Brok was one of my favourite characters so it hits hard.

Talking about OST, had this stuck in my head all day lol -

Last edited:
Memes aside. Sindri was a highlight of the game for me, at the end. Nearly everyone underestimated the guy throughout the story, yet he came out one of the most capable and pivotal characters in the whole saga. He brang Brok back from the dead (as best as he could). Who helped Kratos/Loki in their path with items of power and keeping them both alive for Ragnarok to occur, and in a sense affect history itself.

Created armor and weapons for an army against the Aesir and had a weapon made capable of killing them. On top of playing a massive role in the Ragnarok war. Sad he had such a bitter ending though. I wonder if they do make another GoW that he'll come back as an antagonist.
Nah my man's too good to become an antagonist.
You can see he still care for Atreus. He try to protect Atreus when Thrud attack the boy.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I honestly was confused about why he was angry... like is everyone in the game stupid?

Prior to this through conversations it is established that there are 4 parts to the soul, and 3 of the parts where recovered and put into Brok to revive him and the last is still in the well of souls somewhere. Mimir also states that it takes only one part of the soul to return someone...

Oh GEEEEEE I wonder how we can revive Brok? But no everyone says "it's impossible the parts on him will never reach the well as there not complete" making no mention of the 4th part already there...

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I honestly was confused about why he was angry... like is everyone in the game stupid?

Prior to this through conversations it is established that there are 4 parts to the soul, and 3 of the parts where recovered and put into Brok to revive him and the last is still in the well of souls somewhere. Mimir also states that it takes only one part of the soul to return someone...

Oh GEEEEEE I wonder how we can revive Brok? But no everyone says "it's impossible the parts on him will never reach the well as there not complete" making no mention of the 4th part already there...
Seriously. There is SO MUCH DLC bait in this:
-Sindri dlc to recover brok soul
-Atreus DLC to cover "I was out there with the snake ... oh nevermine"
-Atreus giants dlc
-Kratos rebuilding DLC - becoming a good god
It has some potential!

Seriously. There is SO MUCH DLC bait in this:
-Sindri dlc to recover brok soul
-Atreus DLC to cover "I was out there with the snake ... oh nevermine"
-Atreus giants dlc
-Kratos rebuilding DLC - becoming a good god
It has some potential!
Don't believe DLC is coming or anything like that. Brok is dead dead as Mimir said shortly after you go off adventuring in Midguard after his death with Kratos and Atreus. Sony Santa Monica have clearly stated in an interview back in April this is the end of the Norse Saga, they do not want a 3rd game because it would take way too long to close the Norse story. The only thing I could see is a New Game+ patch similar to the original and that's about it. The rebuilding part is happening post-game I believe. Doing the side quests and catching up with everyone from what I understood. This is just my assumption.

A new pantheon is going to be the next big thing for end of PS5 or the PS6 era. New engine, the new-generation of God of War will most likely be that.

Last edited:

hinch7

Nah my man's too good to become an antagonist.
You can see he still care for Atreus. He try to protect Atreus when Thrud attack the boy.
Yeah there is some bond left in there, as little as there was. He still blames them both though, and Atreus in particular. And probably himself the most part for getting involved for his death. Tragic tbh.

True some of the writing is a bit nonsense. A bit like how quickly Freya forgives Kratos within a space of a few hours of buddy buddying, after murdering her son to suddenly become BFF's and potential love interest in a day. But plot devices, lol. But yeah the writing is a bit all over the place. Still better written than most games though xD

Ngl I was hoping they could bring him back, but they closed that door after they said they can't revive him anymore, because reasons..

Last edited:
Just wanna drop these 2 pics and fuck off lol
I haven't finished yet

FhT3ZvHXgBciRxq

FhT2ECJXgAA583x

The art direction oof

Oh and can't wait to talk about fenrir boss battle. 🙌
Ohhh i forgot about that part. This game is so fucking cool. Just finished it. My fav part is when they tame Gram/Fenrir. The build up, the lore, the art, gfx, character development was soooo epic. The best gaming experience i thing i have ever had or close to it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
True some of the writing is a bit nonsense. A bit like how quickly Freya forgives Kratos within a space of a few hours of buddy buddying, after murdering her son and suddenly become BFF's and potential love interest in a day. But plot devices, lol. But yeah the writing is a bit all over the place. Still better written than most games though xD

Don't forget this literally happens twice in the same game, Sif also for no reason seems to have no issue with Kratos suddenly so the end section in Skyrim village can take place despite killing both her sons and having no prior relationship to build off of.

I was pulling a face at that point due to the levels of mental gymnastics it took for this to happen in my head, and I just gave up and stuck it in the "shit writing" part of my brain.

Last edited:
Yeah there is some bond left in there, as little as there was. He still blames them both though, and Atreus in particular. And probably himself the most part for getting involved for his death. Tragic tbh.

True some of the writing is a bit nonsense. A bit like how quickly Freya forgives Kratos within a space of a few hours of buddy buddying, after murdering her son and suddenly become BFF's and potential love interest in a day. But plot devices, lol. But yeah the writing is a bit all over the place. Still better written than most games though xD
I think the writing in some places os rushed but i can see the character arcs and how they would get to where they are with more time permiting. I think this is due to the devs craming two games into one. I can forgive this thoigh all things considered. The character arc of Brok and Sindri was a "bright" spot in the writing imo. I wish we could have had a side quest to get Broks missing sould piece for an alt ending though.

ikbalCO

i have just finished the main story literally seconds ago.

clocked it in around 33 hours with most of the important side stories complete. still needs to clear out some of the berserkers but coming from the rush of the ending i have to take some time off to return. sommerville has came out at the perfect time. it will help me get my mind off from ragnarök for a while.

i know this will be long and most of you skip this over but none the less, here i go.

ok first, i have to say it was my mistake to play and finish the first one again 2 days before the ragnarök launch. in the begining, it felt like shifting from gear 5 to gear 1 since i had maxed out abilities and armors in the gow '18.

with that i can start by praising the good/great parts.

chris raygun of sacred symbols said that this game feels like rest of the 2018 game rather than a sequel and he is right on point. and that is a good thing. first game was amazing anyways right?

combat in this game is like math. it is so precise it is so tight and polished that honestly i have never play something like it before. it is like what platforming is to mario. only sharp edges and straight lines. its geometry. i played this on whatever the hard mode is and never felt an unfairness. it never feels sloppy. i do not know if they nerf the axe or utilise the other weapons better but i found myself using every weapon and shield i had based on whatever i was facing. even new spartan powers add a new dynamic though i wish i could change them with out going through the character screen.

this game looks and plays perfect. i played it on 60 fps mode and i dont think i have ever encountered any dip in frame rate. there are some minor bugs (kratos holding nothing in character screen) but nothing game breaking.

they improved immensly on what the first game was lacking. enemy and enviorment variety. places look georgous. i believe everyone's favorite is svartelfheim which kinda suprieses me because vanaheim offers much more enemy and terrain veriaty with not only one but two optional explorable area, with the lake and the river canyon including a day and night cycle.

side missions. oh the side missons. if you like playing games while listening to podcasts, you are going to love the side missions. first of they are a %100 optional. you do not have to grind these to level up in order to progress since i ended up being kinda op for the late game. side missions offer the best looking envoirment, great enemy and creature desing and engaging puzzles. some of the best part in the story trailers are from the side missions.

odin. for me the part where you play atreus and interact with odin are the highlight of this game. he is such a cool character, possibly the only complex one in the franchise while every one is either good or evil, odin is kinda neither. he is more evil than good but in thisgame he kinda i dont know, convinced me? i though he was kinda right and what he was after was divine. i too wanted to know what was in that crack and shared his dissapointment when everything went to shit.

writing in this game is also very good. not narative but the dialog. there are some part that really moved me. one specifaclly between kratos and odin, it was in the trailer but the mundane way of how it happens, i really like. " What do you even know of godhood? In your life time has anyone ever worshiped you, ever prayed to you? Can you even imagine that kind of love? NO!" Different perspective on what its like to be a god and you see Kratos really feels bad after hearing this which makes the last mural reveal much more meaningful.

this back forth between mimir and kratos made me chuckled. mimir find it suprising that kratos likes poetry. and kratos says, why are you suprised? my people are known for being cultured. i mean we've seen kratos in a lot of emotions but never offended until that moment.

one dialog that reall awful is heimdall calling kratos a monster as kratos killing him. dude, you just told the guy that you will gutt his teenage son. like, where do you come off?

now, the bad.

unlike the first game, ragnarök does not have "a main goal". in the 2018th one your main goal is to spread fey's ashes and no matter what happens this does not change. there is no clearity with this one. is it to protect atreus? save kratos? avoid certain fate? know the infinite knowledge? stop ragnarök? bring ragnarök? kill odin? neither? or all? i dont know but the overall narrative does not allowed ragnarök to have a forward momentum.

if naughty dog games have simple stories with complex characters, ragnarök has simple characters with complex stories. every character you meet is either too good or too bad. a lot of family dramas that doesnt help the narrative or not concern kratos and atreus. i dont personally care about brok and sindri's back story. i like them to an extend that they help my guys and their our friends. same goes for freya, freyr, thor, thor's daughter, sif, mimir etc.

the game is a bit bloated, not because of the side missions but because of the main ones. entire mid game is just fetch quests. sad that, it is so obvious they were put in to make the game longer. you have the get the ring, find the forge and get the spear and find the mask and the the other part of the mask, ups, wrong place try another place. ay ay ay. move along already.

end game is both epic and not. i find some parts of it overemotional and a bit too gen-z but it may depend on the player i guess. a lot more than the saving ellie decision, i wish i got to choose whether to put on the mask or not. because i was conflicted. i wanted to save kratos but know the infinite truth aswell. but, oh well.

i enjoyed the tyr - odin twist. i think it works. odin did told us that tyr was dead in the begining. and he was pushing atreus to go to asgard by calling him champion etc.

all and all. great follow up to a great game. not mind blowing, genre defining but great.

and after 80 hours of gow in three weeks, i am ready to get away from gaming for awhile.

anyway, go ahead with your tl;dr comments.

iorek21

The more I think about it, the more I believe that the story is a mess.
The game itself is good, basically the same as 2018 but good. What really made everything meaningful was the tight story, which is absent here.

The Fake Tyr stuff was a huge waste of time that could’ve been much better.

ikbalCO

Btw, LOL at the "loki leaves, atreus stays" scene.

Such a forest gump moment that i actually laughed out loud

one dialog that reall awful is heimdall calling kratos a monster as kratos killing him. dude, you just told the guy that you will gutt his teenage son. like, where do you come off?
I think it's because of Heimdall can read people mind so that why's he called Kratos monster. Kratos wrote in the journal that he enjoy killing Heimdall and feel satisfied at that moment.
Speaking of Journal, one thing i don't like in this game. The writing in the journal doesn't fit Kratos at all.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

I think it's because of Heimdall can read people mind so that why he called Kratos monster. Kratos wrote in the journal that he enjoy killing Heimdall and feel satisfied.
Speaking of Journal, one thing i don't like in this game. The writing in the journal doesn't fit Kratos at all.
Damn, didnt read the journal entry of that particular moment.

Also, i enjoyed killing heimdall too.

Damn, didnt read the journal entry of that particular moment.

Also, i enjoyed killing heimdall too.
I like his character and killing that jerk too but seriously Heimdall boss fight is the worst in this game.
It feels too easy.
Didn't check much of the journal tbh, I assumed it was mimir filling in the journal since we saw him writing with his mouth at the start.

Just feels weird to have it be Kratos haha.
Kratos write the journal and Mimir write the bestiary.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished it today. I wasn’t really satisfied with the game. It had some good parts and some very slow ones. Thor was a lot cooler when he was still in the shadows. The boss fights felt like whack a mole at times. The slow talking parts made me not want to replay it. It feels like you can’t skip any of it. The game is better when you’re done with everything and you can just explore. There was no “OH man this final area is amazing” type feeling. It was basically repeat boss fight, some throw backs, and a pretty basic final boss. Definitely not my top favorite game of all time. I miss the raw descent into the lands of the gods, the red wedding moments, and etc. The one death they got away with should have been Tyr because Tyr was cooler in the trailer.

It felt like being Luke Skywalker riding a Tauntaun, while picking berries before the inevitable happens. Give me some bosses that don’t feel like an obstacle course. I enjoyed 70% of the game, but I am kinda disappointed with the whole thing.

Last edited:
I think it's because of Heimdall can read people mind so that why's he called Kratos monster. Kratos wrote in the journal that he enjoy killing Heimdall and feel satisfied at that moment.

I kindly disagree.

I remember Kratos entry on Mimir and he says something like he considers him a brother and a companion...and also that Mimir "is compact and consumes no resources", which made me chuckle a little.

His entry on Thor is also interesting, stating how Thor enjoys the sport and pleasure of fighting rather than just killing.

These are things Kratos doesn't get to say verbally, and it's an interesting insight into what goes on inside his head.

I kindly disagree.

I remember Kratos entry on Mimir and he says something like he considers him a brother and a companion...and also that Mimir "is compact and consumes no resources", which made me chuckle a little.

His entry on Thor is also interesting, stating how Thor enjoys the sport and pleasure of fighting rather than just killing.

These are things Kratos doesn't get to say verbally, and it's an interesting insight into what goes on inside his head.
I mean it's not the content . But the writing style in some parts doesn't make sense for me personally.

I mean it's not the content . But the writing style in some parts doesn't make sense for me personally.
Exactly. They don’t match how Kratos speaks. They match how someone unfamiliar with the series thinks Kratos speaks. Which, apparently, is exactly what happened.

This is a big issue in the game in general. People speak unlike how they spoke in previous games. Almost infantilizing characters at points. Biggest issue with the game by far.

I finished it today. I wasn’t really satisfied with the game. It had some good parts and some very slow ones. Thor was a lot cooler when he was still in the shadows. The boss fights felt like whack a mole at times. The slow talking parts made me not want to replay it. It feels like you can’t skip any of it. The game is better when you’re done with everything and you can just explore. There was no “OH man this final area is amazing” type feeling. It was basically repeat boss fight, some throw backs, and a pretty basic final boss. Definitely not my top favorite game of all time. I miss the raw descent into the lands of the gods, the red wedding moments, and etc. The one death they got away with should have been Tyr because Tyr was cooler in the trailer.

It felt like being Luke Skywalker riding a Tauntaun, while picking berries before the inevitable happens. Give me some bosses that don’t feel like an obstacle course. I enjoyed 70% of the game, but I am kinda disappointed with the whole thing.

Well, if you do the end game content, you find Tyr actually alive. The real one.

gow3isben

So is Odin the strongest character in the entire series?

Kratos was weaker than Thor in the first fight and likely couldn't beat Heimdall but surpassed them both with the spear he beat them both cleanly but then Odin had both him and Atreus beat and required a triple team.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I guess the part that bugs me is that you can’t enjoy the Spartan Kratos. Shutting down his past in order to make him atone for his wrong doings.
Well, if you do the end game content, you find Tyr actually alive. The real one.
I’ll have to check that out. I’ll probably go back to the side stuff at some point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom