• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla Minus One | Rottenwatch

Shouta

I never did watch that black and white version of Shin Godzilla. I wonder if it was really any different beyond being decolorized

From readng the director's comment, it sounds like it's just monochrome but he put a lot of effort into the matte work like he was making a new cut of the film.

It should be noted that the director for the got his start in VFX and was that before moving into directing. So it seems he puts a lot of effort into it. That's probably why Minus One looks so good overall despite the smaller budget and slightly jank CG.

Last edited:

Pejo

I never did watch that black and white version of Shin Godzilla. I wonder if it was really any different beyond being decolorized

I bet for the purists, this would be a fun watch.

I can't stop wanting to see the 4dx version now that Alcibiades Alcibiades mentioned it, and the only two theaters that have 4dx near me are playing fucking Willy Wonka in that screen instead...

Trilobit

I personally only watch b&w movies that were made like that from the beginning. It isn't just about decolorization, it changes how you shoot scenes and how you use shadows and light. It's pretty easy to see if something was purposefully shot with b&w or not based on those things.

mal002ag-1600x900-c-default.jpg

It's the same reason I can only watch Gilmore Girls in its original 4:3 format because the cinematography and the sets were made for that even if it was shot in a wider format.

But cool nevertheless, also cool title for it.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

These movies in general don't interest me and films in general often disappoint me when there is this much hype, but I'm making an exception for this. Going to theater for it tomorrow.

Don’t worry about the hype NOW. The difference between most hyped films and this, is that outside of the little circle of core Godzilla fans, there wasn’t really people hyping this at all - it’s an international film, didn’t do a lot of advertising.

The hype you are getting is word of mouth hype. That’s a good thing!

Not every movie is for everyone, but I’d be shocked if you didn’t like it.

Went again (as I said I was), and enjoyed it just as much for the second time.

My friend tagged along, who hasn’t ever seen anything Godzilla - and he LOVED it!

Do miss the first showing in the DBOX seats a lot though. It’s a great film for the DBOX, 4DX, IMAX crowd for sure.

Last edited:
Good movie. Interesting setting in post WW2 Japan. Human characters are relatable instead of an annoyance.
Good special effects for the most part. Godzilla looks terrifying. And all this with a 15 million dollar budget.

I'm in the mood for more Godzilla so I'll watch Shin Godzilla next. I found out recently it was directed by Hideaki Anno.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Good movie. Interesting setting in post WW2 Japan. Human characters are relatable instead of an annoyance.
Good special effects for the most part. Godzilla looks terrifying. And all this with a 15 million dollar budget.

I'm in the mood for more Godzilla so I'll watch Shin Godzilla next. I found out recently it was directed by Hideaki Anno.
Keep your expectations low when it comes to Shin Godzilla

Laieon

I saw this a few nights ago. I loved it and it's probably one of my top 3 of 2023, but I don't think it quite reached the highs of Shin Godzilla.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Keep your expectations low when it comes to Shin Godzilla
Shin isn't for everyone, but the people who love it, love it a lot. It's probably best to know going in it's a dryly comedic satire of Japanese political bureaucracy, and it's like 80% board room meetings, though.

It is pretty much the polar opposite of Minus One, but it's still usually ranked in the Top 3 of the Godzilla franchise.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Shin isn't for everyone, but the people who love it, love it a lot. It's probably best to know going in it's a dryly comedic satire of Japanese political bureaucracy, and it's like 80% board room meetings, though.

It is pretty much the polar opposite of Minus One, but it's still usually ranked in the Top 3 of the Godzilla franchise.
I can appreciate what it’s going for as a social commentary but didn’t enjoy it much. The re-used Evangelion score and Gojira acting just like an Angel made it feel like Evangelion but without the strong characters, mystery, or action (aside from the night scene).

Shouta

Shin Godzilla without the social commentary makes it a weaker Godzilla film even just within the specific subgenre of Godzilla films. I think Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1984 is a much better overall film in the same vein even if it's a bit more science fiction and a little cheesier in spots. It's a shame not as many folks talk about it but I understand the stench of the 1985 American edit is strong.

Last edited:
I watched GvK again and damn do the Americans deliver in big budget monster mashing. Godzilla and King Kong punching each other in the face and then also punching Mechagodzilla for 2 hours with American big budget SFX, that's the good shit. It's nice being a fan of Godzilla right now with 2 top tier franchises running at once on both sides of the Pacific, just pretend that awful TV show on Apple TV+ doesn't exist though.

Pejo

I watched GvK again and damn do the Americans deliver in big budget monster mashing. Godzilla and King Kong punching each other in the face and then also punching Mechagodzilla for 2 hours with American big budget SFX, that's the good shit. It's nice being a fan of Godzilla right now with 2 top tier franchises running at once on both sides of the Pacific, just pretend that awful TV show on Apple TV+ doesn't exist though.
The Hollywood ones could be saved if they just stopped making the human characters just so damn unlikable. King of the Monsters was probably my favorite of the western movies, and there wasn't a single human in that movie that you could feel happy about seeing on the screen.

I think that's a bigger issue than just Godzilla movies though, almost all big budget Hollywood films these days are just packed to the gills with unlikable characters.

The Hollywood ones could be saved if they just stopped making the human characters just so damn unlikable. King of the Monsters was probably my favorite of the western movies, and there wasn't a single human in that movie that you could feel happy about seeing on the screen.

I think that's a bigger issue than just Godzilla movies though, almost all big budget Hollywood films these days are just packed to the gills with unlikable characters.
Huh? I must have watched a different KOTM 2019 because the human characters were all enjoyable in that one. I like that the MV films dramatically de-emphasize the humans because they know we're all here for Godzilla and Friends and the humans are just walking cliche plot devices to move the story forward but they are all very likeable and are given distinct motivations and push forward for their goals in that movie. They really did Ken Watanabe dirty though, his sacrifice should have been given more screen time TBH. GvK's human characters were all likeable too, even generic evil corporate mastermind dude was adorable in his cliched refinement.

In many ways, I feel like they could easily have added 10 minutes to the running time of KOTM 2019 and GvK to flesh out the humans just a bit more and both movies would have been much better. I know it's strange to be talking about not enough human screen time in Godzilla movies but both of those films had some seriously underdeveloped characters, especially GvK where both Evil Mastermind's Daughter and Ken Watanabe's Son basically had just cameos due to their roles being mostly written out of the final script and both could have been interesting with just a tiny bit of development.

Last edited:

Pejo

Huh? I must have watched a different KOTM 2019 because the human characters were all enjoyable in that one. I like that the MV films dramatically de-emphasize the humans because they know we're all here for Godzilla and Friends and the humans are just walking cliche plot devices to move the story forward but they are all very likeable and are given distinct motivations and push forward for their goals in that movie. They really did Ken Watanabe dirty though, his sacrifice should have been given more screen time TBH. GvK's human characters were all likeable too, even generic evil corporate mastermind dude was adorable in his cliched refinement.

In many ways, I feel like they could easily have added 10 minutes to the running time of KOTM 2019 and GvK to flesh out the humans just a bit more and both movies would have been much better. I know it's strange to be talking about not enough human screen time in Godzilla movies but both of those films had some seriously underdeveloped characters, especially GvK where both Evil Mastermind's Daughter and Ken Watanabe's Son basically had just cameos due to their roles being mostly written out of the final script and both could have been interesting with just a tiny bit of development.
You liked the MBB parts with the psycho mom?

Shouta

To be fair, almost all Godzilla films don't have particularly compelling or interesting characters. Most have ones that are serviceable for moving the plot around but that's it. There are a few, like Akane Yashiro in Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, that have a pretty decent story arch but the execution has always kept the plot in focus instead of exploring the character. That's part of why Minus One has been such a critical hit since it explores the character so well and is likable. The current Hollywood trends combined with them trying to mimic most Godzilla films in that structure is just a bad recipe.

That said, I think most of the humans are decent enough in the Monsterverse and with, like 10-15 minutes, more time on screen throughout each film, they'd be more than plot devices. I still think the Milly Bobby Brown side of GvK kind of sucks though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Finally saw it tonight, and the theater was a lot more packed than I expected.

I’ve been watching Godzilla movies since the ‘70s. I’ve seen probably every Godzilla movie made, and live in an age where I’m desensitized to special effects.

The first scene where Godzilla appears I went Holy Fuck out loud in my head. I was blindsided, by the aggressiveness. The speed. I just want to say I want that Godzilla for the entire film.

I gave a shit about the characters. First time ever in a Godzilla film where I wasn’t entirely rooting for Godzilla. Gotta laugh at how injured people always have a bright white bandage over their head in these films, or arm in a sling. They look great otherwise lol.

All in all I’d say it’s probably the best Godzilla film, and they’d better not do a sequel.

QSD

LTTP as usual but saw this yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
The echoes from Grave of the Fireflies at the beginning really hit home, the theme about sacrificing one's life (or not) was very well done and surprisingly nuanced, same as the the theme around the government being paralyzed into inaction. Following from that there was also (at least what I perceived to be) a theme around liberals (the science guy) and conservatives (the military brass) working together to solve a problem. The scene where they try to find volunteers for the wackadoodle plan actually seemed to echo the 'because it must be done' scene from the Chernobyl miniseries, which was really a feat. Characters were both fun & serious when they needed to be and I didn't have a sense of 'plot armour': eg: the mine dropping chase scene was a real nail biter.
Finally: as a long time shmupper, it was also a blessing to finally see the Shinden (star of many a shmup game) get its moment on the big screen!

Highly recommended

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Finally saw it tonight, and the theater was a lot more packed than I expected.

I’ve been watching Godzilla movies since the ‘70s. I’ve seen probably every Godzilla movie made, and live in an age where I’m desensitized to special effects.

The first scene where Godzilla appears I went Holy Fuck out loud in my head. I was blindsided, by the aggressiveness. The speed. I just want to say I want that Godzilla for the entire film.

I gave a shit about the characters. First time ever in a Godzilla film where I wasn’t entirely rooting for Godzilla. Gotta laugh at how injured people always have a bright white bandage over their head in these films, or arm in a sling. They look great otherwise lol.

All in all I’d say it’s probably the best Godzilla film, and they’d better not do a sequel.

It's true, in several Japanese movies like Battle Royale, wounded Japanese have bandages on their heads and arms 😂😂😂

Madflavor

Just saw it last night, truly exceptional. Some of the Armchair Critiquing from some people here is a bit cringe. For a Godzilla film on a $15 million dollar budget, this overachieved what it set out to do, and managed to elevate the characters to a point where you care way more about them than Godzilla.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I like the movie, although some situations are a bit artificially prolonged, but it was good.

I thought that here in Mexico the room would be empty, but if the room was full, it was in 4DX.

Last edited:

Valedix

Loved this movie, my only complaints were the way Godzilla walked on land, I get it's part of the original design but it looked really stupid. Not to mention how slow he walked.
Also the women surviving that blast? Like really?

Loved this movie, my only complaints were the way Godzilla walked on land, I get it's part of the original design but it looked really stupid. Not to mention how slow he walked.
Also the women surviving that blast? Like really?
Guess you missed the part where she's infected by Godzilla cells and basically regenerated

bender

What time is it?
Ah no I did see the markings on her neck but it just seemed very forced, movie would've felt better if she remained dead.

The happy bow that wrapped up everything was a little much for my tastes too.

Madflavor

Regarding the ending.

Dude suffered enough, he deserved a happy ending. Family, hope, and the value of life are some of the core themes of this movie. If he fell into despair and kamikazeed himself, he would've missed his chance at love and family. But he completed his journey and decided to give life a chance, and his reward for that was being reuinited
with his love and adopted daughter. I think it's earned and appropriate for the themes and message of the film.

SF Kosmo

Wonder what streaming service picks this up? I’d love to see it but it’s not playing near me.
I have a feeling this movie is gonna be big on streaming. Toho seems to have a strong relationship with Netflix with the Godzilla anime movies and series, so that would be my guess, but I'm sure a good offer could convince them to go elsewhere.

SF Kosmo

Seems to be winding down it's theatrical run, probably going to finish between 48-50m domestic, 85-90m WW, which is pretty massive for a foreign language film or any live action Japanese film. Toho must be really happy, Reiwa era is 2 for 2 for massively successful live action Godzilla movies.

phant0m

Can’t wait to get this on disc

Anybody hear of release date yet? I’m guessing March

Last edited:

Renoir

omg.. just saw this. Godzilla as a scary monster is was very entertaining. American Godzilla Kaiju is fun too, but man did I feel that the stakes were high in this movie.
no one told me this was a tear jerker.. damn.

SF Kosmo

Minus Color is coming wew lads we can see Godzilla in Black and White like it's 1954 again
This will be a nice victory lap and probably mark the end of a pretty fantastic theatrical run.

If this passes $53m (currently at $51) domestically, it will be the biggest grossing foreign film of the last 23 years. And it's now well over $100m thanks to a stellar take in Mexico.

Chiggs

Just got done seeing this in the unfortunate black and white version which spoils a lot of the scenery. What a terrible idea. It's not 1954 and Raymond Burr is dead. It also doesn't make it more "artistic."

Overall, I was really disappointed in the film. All the cool stuff was spoiled in the trailers and I found myself constantly comparing this to Shin Godzilla, which is a better written and more imaginative film.

Some truly bad moments:
  • The schmaltzy montage complete with Hallmark-quality music in the first act.
    • That's the best they could throw together?
  • The "reason" for America not being in this movie is some News on the March-style compilation with a "Sorry, but the Reds are more important than a 300-foot lizard who is terrorizing frigates and freighters in the Pacific" excuse from Douglas MacArthur.
    • Uh huh...okay.
  • The woman on the train slowly turning around to see a 300-foot lizard smashing his way into Shingawa, and then saying in dramatic, overwrought fashion: "Is this...Godzilla?
    • I don't know, sweetheart...what do you think? Is it?

This is a 7/10 at best. Just because a movie doesn't cost a lot of money and is being championed as the plucky little pic that could doesn't make it automatically good.

Shin is also on Crunchyroll I think.

And it's a better movie, too!

Last edited:
Surprising my son tonight, wife and I are taking him to see the latest showing of Minus Color. We’re pretty close and it’s the biggest screen in the theater. Excited to see it again and see what my son thinks. Might be his first foreign movie.

SF Kosmo

Thanks to the bump from Minus Color, this is on track to pass Parasite and Hero and become the third highest grossing subtitled movie of all time.

I'm gonna go see it again in 4DX and Black and white so hopefully a bit different of an experience.

Top Bottom