• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla Minus One | Rottenwatch

Alcibiades

Saw the Minus Color version last night. The black and white aspect fits the period it's portraying.

I don't think it's better or worse than the color version, but it helps transport you to the time and setting of post-war Japan.

Saw it in a regular theater although I'm thinking of watching it in RPX which is the only premium format I've seen it available.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Godzilla Minus One has officially ended its North American theatrical run, more because of the need to put 60 days between it and the new MonsterVerse movie than because it wasn't selling tickets.

Total American gross exceeded 56 million, a feat no other subtitled movie has achieved in the same time frame, and it finishes as the third highest grossing foreign language film of all time, inches behind Life is Beautiful (and still miles behind Crouching Tiger). Pretty incredible for a movie that was tracking toward a 9-10 million total run just weeks before its release.

I saw it a.third time yesterday, this time in black and white and in a 4DX theater. The 4DX stuff was.gimmick but well done, but the black and white cut really added to the period feel of the film as well as the horror atmosphere, and I think I liked it better. The movie is such a an incredible crowd pleaser, the screams of "Oh shit" and "Damn" during the big moments, and cheering and applause, every time I have seen it. My wife and daughter have seen it with me each time and we were all so glad we went each time.

SF Kosmo

How long until America gets the dubbed digital release?
Toho is not usually in a big rush when it comes to home media. Shin took almost a year.

I think there are probably gonna be some bidding wars for the streaming rights to this one. It's gonna be huge when it hits one of the big services. Based on existing Toho partnerships I think Netflix.

Pigenator

I really wanted to see it but unfortunately it didn't screen here in Israel. If I really need to wait a year for them to release it digitally that'll suck, hopefully some streaming service picks it up idk

I will be surprised if it takes a whole year. I think they will want to capitalize on the worldwide popularity of this movie, not to mention the Apple TV series and the upcoming GodzillaxKong movie.

I suspect it comes in the spring. But I truly have no idea. Which is why I asked.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I will be surprised if it takes a whole year. I think they will want to capitalize on the worldwide popularity of this movie, not to mention the Apple TV series and the upcoming GodzillaxKong movie.

I suspect it comes in the spring. But I truly have no idea. Which is why I asked.

Agreed. This is the most internationally successful Godzilla film Toho have made and people are begging for a physical release.

I give it 6 months tops.

SF Kosmo

This is Toho's first movie that they self-distributed in the US. I would avoid being too crazy optimistic about them being on top of shit.

Obviously there are different realities for this compared to Shin, a much MUCH bigger showing in North America, an roughly simultaneous worldwide launch, and the lack of involvement of a local distributor. We'll have to see how it plays out. But I don't think we'll see it as quickly as we're used to with domestic releases these days.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is Toho's first movie that they self-distributed in the US. I would avoid being too crazy optimistic about them being on top of shit.

Obviously there are different realities for this compared to Shin, a much MUCH bigger showing in North America, an roughly simultaneous worldwide launch, and the lack of involvement of a local distributor. We'll have to see how it plays out. But I don't think we'll see it as quickly as we're used to with domestic releases these days.
Given the shambles the DVD industry is in, seems like it should be pretty easy to find someone who can throw this onto a disc and get it out there. Feels like this would be a simple Target, Walmart, or most likely, Amazon exclusive they could roll out in just a few weeks.

SF Kosmo

Woah, Big G just won an Oscar for the first time in franchise history.

Yeah VFX isn't that prestigious of a category, but it is one dominated by big money (ILM worked on all four of the other nominees), so for a Japanese tokusatsu movie with a $12 million budget and a VFX staff of 35 people to beat out Hollywood movies with hundreds of millions of dollars behind them is pretty extraordinary.

I had heard that Toho only actually submitted Godzilla for one category, which I thought was a shame because they probably could have picked up a beat picture nomination (even if they couldn't have won a statue). In retrospect it seems like they made a smart decision to make a focused campaign on an award they could actually win.

Top Bottom