• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla Minus One | Rottenwatch

Draugoth

Gold Member
Godzilla Minus One: Trailer 2

Rotten Tomatoes 98% Based off 40 Reviews

rrl25Wq.png

MetaCritic - 82/1 Based on 9 Reviews

UOkNehN.png

MOVIE INFO​

Japan is already devastated by the war when a new crisis emerges in the form of a giant monster.
  • Rating: PG-13 (Creature Violence and Action)
  • Genre: Sci-fi, Action, Adventure
  • Original Language: Japanese
  • Director: Takashi Yamazaki
  • Producer: Minami Ichikawa, Kazuaki Kishida, Keiichiro Moriya, Kenji Yamada
  • Writer: Takashi Yamazaki
  • Release Date (Theaters): Dec 1, 2023 Wide
  • Runtime: 2h 5m
  • Distributor: Toho International
  • Production Co: Robot Communications, Toho Company
  • Sound Mix: Dolby Atmos
  • Aspect Ratio: Digital 2.39:1
  • Budget: 15 million

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Saw this at an AMC IMAX fan event last night.

One of the best films this year, right up there with Oppenheimer. Gripping from start to finish. The human story the movie is framed around is compelling on its own, but of course elevated by the surrounding Godzilla events.

I liked the approach of showing Godzilla confrontations first-hand rather than on background screens like the WB reboot did. I didn't have an issue with the monster himself - he is generally on the sluggish side and never feels like a nimble Trex from JP or anything like that.

The theme of choosing life over death and how life shouldn't be treated cheaply was great. The movie is so good I'm worried a sequel will ruin a good thing, so hopefully they stop at this one or have something truly compelling.

One very minor criticism I have is the movie ended on a bit of a happy note, which I guess really fits the movie's main theme but felt a little too convenient.

I went with my mom and said it was great and loved the suspense and story. She often gets disinterested at the movies in the theater but this time was engaged the whole time. I didn't see her check her phone once which she sometimes does.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This movie completely puts the Legendary movies to shame on a tenth of the budget.

It's really just fantastic from start to finish, great characters, resonant themes, thrilling action, the scariest and most aggressive Godzilla ever, too notch effects work...

It reminds me of Fury Road, in that it's this genre film in a franchise known for dumb thrills that is just does what it does so well that we have to acknowledge it's one of the best movies of the year.

SF Kosmo

Wonder if I can trick my kids into seeing this lol
Be aware that this one is A) subtitles only, and B) a bit more intense than typical Godzilla fare, not just in terms of the monster himself (who actually bites people in half and throws them through the air now) but showing dead bodies, post-war grief and general emotional intensity. It also might be worth explaining a bit about how WWII ended for Japan. The nukes, kamikaze, and heavy casualties. All that.

I took my 9 year old daughter to see it and she absolutely loved it, but I wouldn't bring little ones.

Dubbed is fine for most Godzilla movies but probably wouldn't work here because it's so much more drama focused and there's a lot of really intense acting.
Man, crazy thing bout Shin tho. First time watching it. I was like, first 30mins is like an opening of a 1st episode of a anime show. Then like there was bits of that thrown in the movie. I don’t remember older Japanese movies felt like anime. So maybe this something that started back almost ten years ago. Idk. But like 2 years later friend wanna to watch shin and got the dub version. It uses anime voice actors. It was then, 100% that shin Godzilla flow like an anime. I was surprise I was just a much interested watching it again the 2nd time cause of it 🤣

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Man, crazy thing bout Shin tho. First time watching it. I was like, first 30mins is like an opening of a 1st episode of a anime show. Then like there was bits of that thrown in the movie. I don’t remember older Japanese movies felt like anime. So maybe this something that started back almost ten years ago. Idk. But like 2 years later friend wanna to watch shin and got the dub version. It uses anime voice actors. It was then, 100% that shin Godzilla flow like an anime. I was surprise I was just a much interested watching it again the 2nd time cause of it 🤣
Shin Godzilla was directed by Hideaki Anno, an anime director (known for Neon Genesis Evangelion). So that is probably why it felt that way.

I love Shin. It's such an odd movie. Bureaucratic horror.

SF Kosmo

Shin is a totally different animal though. It lends itself much better to dubbing. And the dub solves the distracting as fuck American character with an incomprehensibly thick Japanese accent too.

SF Kosmo

Also, can we just say, the Legendary deal has been the best thing to happen to the Toho films?

Like they entered this agreement to only release new movies in years where Legendary wasn't, and because of that they've had to space out the release of their movies and that's changed everything.

Shin Godzilla and Minus One are polar opposite approaches to the series, but they're both thoughtful and well made movies by auteur directors, critically acclaimed, liked by fans...

In the past, every new Godzilla series would pretty much turn into cheesy annual sequels within a few years. Toho has always considered this a B-movie series, not blockbusters. By forcing Toho to slow down and focus on quality we finally have the movies fans deserve.

Saw it in IMAX, was good.
There's something visceral and raw about the destruction in this movie, opposed to how it's more the scene of spectacle in hollywood blockbusters.
The end super predictable though even though they tried to obfuscate it a tiny but; something silly also happens at the very end, but still good overall.

Shin Godzilla was directed by Hideaki Anno, an anime director (known for Neon Genesis Evangelion). So that is probably why it felt that way.

I love Shin. It's such an odd movie. Bureaucratic horror

I love Shin. It's such an odd movie. Bureaucratic horror.
Ok that make tons of sense now

SF Kosmo

Saw it in IMAX, was good.
There's something visceral and raw about the destruction in this movie, opposed to how it's more the scene of spectacle in hollywood blockbusters.
The end super predictable though even though they tried to obfuscate it a tiny but; something silly also happens at the very end, but still good overall.
I think there's more to the ending but it's easy to miss.

Noriko's reappearance feels too neat/convenient and beggars belief considering how she died. It bugged me initially too. But when we see Noriko, there's a mysterious "rash" on her neck that looks like Godzilla scales. It also resembles radiation poisoning, but it moves....

They mention earlier after the atomic breath blast that they've recovered some chunks of Godzilla cells. What people are speculating is that Noriko got hit with these during the intact and is "infected" with Godzilla cells, and that this may have been helped her to survive and regenerate after the attack.

Darker ending than it first appears.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This might just be the first Godzilla movie Ive ever seen

Ever since I was a kid i thought he was fucking stupid. Then that reboot in the 90s. And the subsequent ones. Big nope.

This seems actually like it might be cool

SF Kosmo

This might just be the first Godzilla movie Ive ever seen

Ever since I was a kid i thought he was fucking stupid. Then that reboot in the 90s. And the subsequent ones. Big nope.

This seems actually like it might be cool
So there are three kinds of Godzilla movies:

1. Actually great monster/horror movies (1954, Shin, Minus One)
2. Goofy, fun kaiju smash em ups (Godzilla vs Mothra, GMK, Godzilla vs Destoroyah, and Legendary MonsterVerse)
3. Ridiculous camp shlock (Godzilla vs. Megalon, Final Wars, Godzilla vs Hedorah, etc)

And look, all of these have their fans and their merits, but don't get them mixed up.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So there are three kinds of Godzilla movies:

1. Actually great monster/horror movies (1954, Shin, Minus One)
2. Goofy, fun kaiju smash em ups (Godzilla vs Mothra, GMK, Godzilla vs Destoroyah, and Legendary MonsterVerse)
3. Ridiculous camp shlock (Godzilla vs. Megalon, Final Wars, Godzilla vs Hedorah, etc)

And look, all of these have their fans and their merits, but don't get them mixed up.

I’d actually be more inclined to watch those old black and white ones. That’d be fun just for seeing the effects and production at the time.

SF Kosmo

I’d actually be more inclined to watch those old black and white ones. That’d be fun just for seeing the effects and production at the time.
The original 1954 movie still slaps, rubber suit and carboard cities and all. The black and white cinematography gives it a real foreboding feel, and it has a great script. Do yourself a favor and watch the Japanese version with subtitles rather than the watered down American release with Raymond Burr.

They turn very quickly into campy rubber suit wrestling matches after that, though. I mean those movies are fun in a pure cheese sense, but they're kids movies.

I think there's more to the ending but it's easy to miss.

Noriko's reappearance feels too neat/convenient and beggars belief considering how she died. It bugged me initially too. But when we see Noriko, there's a mysterious "rash" on her neck that looks like Godzilla scales. It also resembles radiation poisoning, but it moves....

They mention earlier after the atomic breath blast that they've recovered some chunks of Godzilla cells. What people are speculating is that Noriko got hit with these during the intact and is "infected" with Godzilla cells, and that this may have been helped her to survive and regenerate after the attack.

Darker ending than it first appears.

nah I saw that but I still think it would've been better to at least give her some scratches/cuts, now she just looked pristine and the bandages looked silly.

Just got back from seeing it. As someone who's seen every Godzilla movie, I think this might be the best one of them all (and my new favorite). Yes, even better than 1954 and Shin. Absolutely incredible film.

Well-done and emotional human drama, Godzilla back to being a nigh-unstoppable nightmare. The VFX were really well done, and the soundtrack...using that classic Godzilla March theme was :chefskiss:.

About the ending: When I first read the leaks, I thought the whole "Godzilla blows himself up then regenerates in the stinger" was just a ripoff of GMK, but it was so well executed here than I can excuse the similarities.

To sum it up (pun intended): I like that it's not a Godzilla movie with human drama, but it's a human drama movie with Godzilla in it. It's an important distinction, and not many kaiju movies get it right.

My new top 5:
  1. Minus One
  2. 1954
  3. Shin
  4. vs. Biollante
  5. vs. Destoroyah

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

nah I saw that but I still think it would've been better to at least give her some scratches/cuts, now she just looked pristine and the bandages looked silly.
Again I think the point is that she gets Godzilla's wolverine powers, so it wouldn't have made sense if she was cut up.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
What game is this?

OT: Got back from the film. My favorite Godzilla movie hands down. Everything was near perfect. I just hope that, major end of movie spoilers:

They actually follow up on the cliffhangers here unlike in Shin where we will probably never see a proper continuation.

Again I think the point is that she gets Godzilla's wolverine powers, so it wouldn't have made sense if she was cut up.
I know what "the point" was, I just acknowledged it, I still looked stupid considering the event that transpired, that's why I said "some", there's some nuance possible instead of going for extremes that just look dumb.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I love Godzilla. As a very young child I had a Godzilla toy that was about 2ft tall that would shoot it's fist and I would watch Godzilla movies Saturday morning afternoon after cartoons. I'll have to check this one out.

Coconutt

I will say upfront I am a big godzilla fan so there is definite bias but I gotta say this movie is the most fun I had in the theatre this year. Any shot with Godzilla is great but the movie did an especially good job with the human characters. This movie taking place right at the end of WWII and during Japan reconstruction and then adding a giant atomic lizard on top of all that, really made me feel for the Japanese civilians.

SF Kosmo

What game is this?

OT: Got back from the film. My favorite Godzilla movie hands down. Everything was near perfect. I just hope that, major end of movie spoilers:

They actually follow up on the cliffhangers here unlike in Shin where we will probably never see a proper continuation.
It does seem that they are planning to follow this up with a direct sequel. Due to the agreement they have with Legendary it might be a few years before we see it, but honestly I think slowing down the pace of Toho's releases is leading to much better films.

It is a little odd that Shin never got a sequel, but it kind of did get its own follow ups in the form of Shin Ultraman and Shin Masked Rider, so it's hard to complain, especially now that Minus One is here.

Shouta

Just got back from this myself and this was a fantastic Godzilla movie. It's easily the best of the "disaster/horror/monster" style movies, if not at least in contention depending on what aspects you like the most. It definitely has the best character story though with Shikishima's arc being the core of the film. Highly recommended, easily one of the best movies I've seen in ages.

Cohetedor

For some stupid reason this isn't playing at any theater within an hours drive from me. ☹️ Even the local overpriced celebration cinema that has 12 screens skipped it.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Saw it. 9.5/10

Great storyline. Wonderful cast of characters that were charming and well acted.
Godzilla as a metaphor for the shared trauma of the Japanese wartime (and postwar) experience was phenomenal. Loved the use of the post-war setting. It was more than just window dressing. This could have easily been a drama about these characters in a grounded use of the setting, and I think that worked terrifically. Then you throw in the epicness of Godzilla and it drove it home even more. The scene where Godzilla appears in Ginza and the theme starts to play... amazing. Loved the theme of finding a reason to live after living through trauma. I thought it was really well done.

It's firmly in my top 3 Godzilla movies. I think I slightly prefer the dark cynical humor of Shin Godzilla and its criticism of ineffective bureaucracy, but I appreciated the earnestness and sincerity that this movie possessed. The people who worked on this movie should be proud.

My favorite movie I saw this year. It's a crime if this doesn't at least get nominated for best foreign film at the Oscars.

Last edited:

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Loved it, I'll check it out again soon.

Agree with the human drama with Godzilla being well done.

After the Ginza attack with him just on his knees screaming helplessly and the ash rain falling was probably one of the best scenes in this one.

0neAnd0nly

What game is this?

Gigabash is the game (didn’t see anybody answer you).

Great, easy fun brawler WITH the added awesomeness of actually hiding quite a bit of technique in it that you can use to get better and improve the experience as you get better. The game can be easy couch play, or get serious and has more depth than it appears on the surface.

Underrated - worthy of a pick up!

.hacked

Be aware that this one is A) subtitles only, and B) a bit more intense than typical Godzilla fare, not just in terms of the monster himself (who actually bites people in half and throws them through the air now) but showing dead bodies, post-war grief and general emotional intensity. It also might be worth explaining a bit about how WWII ended for Japan. The nukes, kamikaze, and heavy casualties. All that.

I took my 9 year old daughter to see it and she absolutely loved it, but I wouldn't bring little ones.

yeah we watched the trailer, too much for a 5+6 year old. Guess we are seeing Wish tonight lol

Top Bottom