• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Globe Awards 2015 aka The Tina and Amy Show - 5pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.
No? But when a film starts to garner press strictly for how it was shot and really nothing else (which Boyhood did for the most part, Birdman was more well rounded but its "single shot" most definitely got it some attention before anyone had even seen it) then yeah, I consider it somewhat of a gimmick.

That's flat-out wrong.

Did you read the billion different best-of lists Boyhood was on? I don't recall a single one that singularly focused on the 12-year shoot.

It was obviously an important talking point, but pretty much all of them made it clear that it wasn't a one-trick pony, and was instead an understated, touching, and realistic coming-of-age film that just happened to utilize a novel method of film production.

Ithil

No? But when a film starts to garner press strictly for how it was shot and really nothing else (which Boyhood did for the most part, Birdman was more well rounded but its "single shot" most definitely got it some attention before anyone had even seen it) then yeah, I consider it somewhat of a gimmick.

People who haven't actually seen the film focus on the shot over 12 years thing.

Archer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hYuE2Y2y6A

KuGsj.gif

HeelPower

Exactly, If you take away the gimmick of being shot over years, you're not really left with much of anything.

Its not a gimmick.Its at the core of Boyhood.

Its a sobering and brutally honest portrayal of the mundane ,average first world modern life ,with little flavor or spice added to it.

Its also done on epic yet focused scale,exquisitely acted and paced ,especially given the subject material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom