• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Globe Awards 2015 aka The Tina and Amy Show - 5pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game4life

Banned
I have not seen Fargo but did it deserve to win over true detective? Was it that good? If so I guess I may have to definitely start seeing it sometime.

Gobias

Banned
I didn't dislike Boyhood, I just don't think it was that special. It was a fine movie for the spectacle of watching something that had a span of 12 years, but the actual content of the movie was quite bare. And the things Mason was going through didn't really have any connection with me. Cool movie though.

Pretty much how I feel. I'm not the biggest fan of the Before Trilogy either although I think the last 30 minuted of Before Midnight is great, so maybe there's just something about Linklater's writing that puts me off.

Slacker was pretty cool tough!

I have not seen Fargo but did it deserve to win over true detective? Was it that good? If so I guess I may have to definitely start seeing it sometime.

It's good, but no. And I'm not even one of those "True Detective is God's gift to TV" people, but Fargo shouldn't have won over TD imo.

rude

Banned
Nothing "deserves" to win an award. But I personally thought Fargo and Billy Bob were more entertaining and refreshing than anything true detective had to offer.

Helmholtz

I didn't dislike Boyhood, I just don't think it was that special. It was a fine movie for the spectacle of watching something that had a span of 12 years, but the actual content of the movie was quite bare. And the things Mason was going through didn't really have any connection with me. Cool movie though.
I feel the same way.
I honestly think that the gimmick is a big part of why people are so into it. I just don't believe that were the film shot all at once, either using makeup/CG or different actors to show ageing, the movie wouldn't have gotten this much attention or praise. I liked the concept a lot, but found myself not really digging the actual content of the movie all that much.
Again, good movie, deserved the best director win, but best picture? I dunno.

Anyway, glad to see Billy Bob and JK Simmons win. Fantastic performances.

I haven't seen theory of everything but film-wise I didn't really mind any of the winners. Especially happy for boyhood, linklater and Keaton

Common had the best speech of the night

Foh with that gimmick shit, the 12 years thing was integral to the film. Made it feel like even more of a window inside the life of a boy growing up in the 00s

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oscars should pull a Crash and nominate a movie not nominated in the GG like Whiplash and have it win except it would be deserved and therefore not happen.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I mean, i can see why some people view boyhood as a gimmick. The lead boy, in his older age clearly isnt an actor. Some of his later scenes are fairly cringe worthy, especially the last one out in the desert. But it is an admirable effort and easy to feel good rewarding.

CrankyJay

Banned
I mean, i can see why some people view boyhood as a gimmick. The lead boy, in his older age clearly isnt an actor. Some of his later scenes are fairly cringe worthy, especially the last one out in the desert. But it is an admirable effort and easy to feel good rewarding.

Ask yourself if it would have won if the entire movie was filmed in 2014 and had different actors for the children.

jtb

Banned
neither Boyhood or Birdman were built around gimmicks. well deserved for Boyhood, even if the Golden Globes are a meaningless joke.

C4Lukins

If Boyhood is a gimmick, all films are. Every film deals with the passage of time to some extent. The 12 year idea is the most accurate and believe able way to tell the story Linklater wanted to tell. Yes if you took that away it wouldn't be the same film. But you can take an essential component out of any film and it wouldn't be the same. It's such a silly thing to point out.

It is not a gimmick.

It just turned out that the boy did not grow into being a decent actor. And Linklater, went into his experimental teenage philosophy mode over the second half of the film. The film lost its way.

I would argue that the first half is excellent, and the second half is among the worst films I have ever watched.

jtb

Banned
I'm a rock hard chested computer hacker who may or may not need shakey handheld cam CGI for me to jump over a banister.

just rewatched collateral a couple days ago, mann is still a god. public enemies was terrible, but I have faith blackhat will be a return to form.

Like that was the point
kid was high as fuuuuuck

Sanjuro

It had its gimmick in how it was cut, but it was also backed up by all around fantastic performances and an actual plot.

Fuck I don't even dislike Boyhood but it sure seems like it.

That was in jest due to other posters. I liked Birdman more than most it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom