• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Globe Awards 2015 aka The Tina and Amy Show - 5pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game4life

Banned
It's good, but no. And I'm not even one of those "True Detective is God's gift to TV" people, but Fargo shouldn't have won over TD imo.

Nothing "deserves" to win an award. But I personally thought Fargo and Billy Bob were more entertaining and refreshing than anything true detective had to offer.

Hmm.. given the contradictory views I will def give it a go.

Regarding Boyhood there wasnt anything special about the movie beyond the commendable fact that it was shot over a period of 12 years. The script is very basic, the family is utterly uninteresting, the conversations are not meaningful.... I dont know what is the big takeaway from this film. I mean what is it that is supposed to make this family and this boy specially interesting for me to watch and go wow this is so cool..

Sanjuro

You said this

I just asked what does this mean? I'm not even being complicated. I literally do not understand you.

Oh. His last couple films have been awful to average. His techniques are tired. Blackhat looks absolutely cancerous so far. See you in theaters, January 16th!

Gobias

Banned
It just turned out that the boy did not grow into being a decent actor. And Linklater, went into his experimental teenage philosophy mode over the second half of the film. The film lost its way.

I would argue that the first half is excellent, and the second half is among the worst films I have ever watched.

While some of the later scenes may be bad (desert scene, weird NSA and robot talk) nothing compares in groan-worthy dialogue and delivery of the entire opening of Before Midnight. My god is the dinner scene awful.

overcast

Oh. His last couple films have been awful to average. His techniques are tired. Blackhat looks absolutely cancerous so far. See you in theaters, January 16th!
Public Enemies was shit and Blackhat looks bad. We agree on that.

Techniques are just his style, not a gimmick but that's okay. We'll start getting into a pointless semantic battle here. Literally, gimmick has been the whole argument point in the past few pages lol.

Sanjuro

Public Enemies was shit and Blackhat looks bad. We agree on that.

Techniques are just his style, not a gimmick but that's okay. We'll start getting into a pointless semantic battle here. Literally, gimmick has been the whole argument point in the past few pages lol.

Because gimmick is a bs argument overall.

C4Lukins

While some of the later scenes may be bad (desert scene, weird NSA and robot talk) nothing compares in groan-worthy dialogue and delivery of the entire opening of Before Midnight. My god is the dinner scene awful.

I liked all of Before Midnight. But I can see parallels.

Gobias

Banned
Rosamund Pike didnt win?!

I actually kind of hated her in Gone Girl. In the first flashbacks of her and Affleck falling in love, before we knew who she actually was, she was not charming, cool, interesting, or likable. She had absolutely no chemistry with him. I gave absolutely no shit about her when I was supposed to. Obviously her emotional aloofness would make sense being a sociopath and all, but apparently she was really good at faking being the "cool girl". She was not. I did not buy for a second that Affleck would ever fall in love with this obviously cold robot.

With that said, all that could be placed on Fincher and not her.

NYR

I actually kind of hated her in Gone Girl. In the first flashbacks of her and Affleck falling in love, before we knew who she actually was, she was not charming, cool, interesting, or likable. She had absolutely no chemistry with him. I gave absolutely no shit about her when I was supposed to. Obviously her emotional aloofness would make sense being a sociopath and all, but apparently she was really good at faking being the "cool girl". She was not. I did not buy for a second that Affleck would ever fall in love with this obviously cold robot.

Yep. 100% agree with post, well put.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Also i think we should do the ritual mention of Hannibal in yet another awards show thread that claimed to celebrate the best TV had to offer and did not mention Hannibal those motherfucking bastards i bet they dont eve taste good.

Zodzilla

Yep, sort of my feeling too. In the novel, Amy's much more perky, fun, endearing and exciting in the diary entries. In the movie, she just kind of comes off as being too cold to be approachable.

NYR

Can we talk about how mailed in the performances of Tina and Amy were? Worst hosting job in quite some time, other than Franco.

Game4life

Banned
Something about the imitation game and theory of everything smells of oscar bait. Like a repeat of the beautiful mind or something.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Something about the imitation game and theory of everything smells of oscar bait. Like a repeat of the beautiful mind or something.

I mean they share similarities with a Beautiful Mind but they are legit great movies so im not really sure why you would undermine them like that? I mean really it was a great year for the Biopic genre. Stories worth telling beyond being 'oscar bait'.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Jóhann Jóhannsson winning best score is the most important. Dude is a genius.

Eh he may be a genius but honestly it shocked me it won. Most of the other scores were better. I listened to all of them individually and really i felt it was one of the weakest of the selection. Glad the film won awards but others should have won.

Yes, Boyhood utilizes a gimmick.

If folks choose to use that as a way to denigrate the film then it's their loss for being so bitter and cynical that they can't recognize a masterpiece unfolding before their eyes. "Boring," "uninteresting," and "saying nothing" - I feel that you didn't watch the same movie as I did.

Many of the criticisms stated in this thread have already been asked and answered in the OT. It's not going to change anyone's mind. People just want to rail against "conformity." Boyhood has a shitload of momentum going for it into the Oscars. It's the presumptive choice. Therefore, it's time to hate, hate, hate, because god knows we all need to indulge our inner Armond White.

newjeruse

I mean they share similarities with a Beautiful Mind but they are legit great movies so im not really sure why you would undermine them like that? I mean really it was a great year for the Biopic genre. Stories worth telling beyond being 'oscar bait'.
By similarities, do you mean the big reveal in The Imitation Game completely aping the big reveal in A Beautiful Mind?

Also i think we should do the ritual mention of Hannibal in yet another awards show thread that claimed to celebrate the best TV had to offer and did not mention Hannibal those motherfucking bastards i bet they dont eve taste good.

The wire rarely won awards and Boardwalk gets snubbed yearly so whatever.

Besides I just saw the pilot for the affair and damn this is pretty good

I can't be angry at Grand Budapest Hotel beating Birdman because I loved both, and I still don't see why Birdman is in the "musical or comedy" section. Just glad Michael Keaton won best actor. As to Fargo beating True Detective, I once again loved both. But I have a Matthew McConaughey actor crush so I disagree.

British white guy does something for the world = Give them the Oscar!

Both movies are baity as hell and mediocre as well, but hey, MURICA gotta love them handsome brits doing great things for humanity, overcoming disabilities and learning valuable life-lessons with the help of their trophy, supporting wife (or whatever Keira Knightley was to Cumberbatch's character)

Those 2 are The King's Speech 2: Masterpiece Theatery Harder (Imitation Game even has the same fucking crying scene)

~Kinggi~

Banned

Both movies are baity as hell and mediocre as well, but hey, MURICA gotta love them caucasian brits doing great things for humanity, overcoming disabilities and learning valuable life-lessons with the help of their trophy, supporting wife (or whatever Keira Knightley was to Cumberbatch's character)

are you fucking kidding me with this post or what? Lmao seriously man.

Imitation game starts off as beautiful mind redux but I think it becomes it's own movie when it delves more into turing's homosexuality and 'beard' wife

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I didn't watch, but I'm glad to see The Honorable Woman received some attention and won for Gyllenhaal. She was great and that miniseries was great.

Both movies are baity as hell and mediocre as well, but hey, MURICA gotta love them handsome brits doing great things for humanity, overcoming disabilities and learning valuable life-lessons with the help of their trophy, supporting wife (or whatever Keira Knightley was to Cumberbatch's character)

Those 2 are The King's Speech 2: Masterpiece Theatery Harder (Imitation Game even has the same fucking crying scene)

If there's two human beings deserving of biopics Stephen Hawking and Alan Turing are up there.

Helmholtz

If there's two human beings deserving of biopics Stephen Hawking and Alan Turing are up there.
Yeah, and Alan Turing isn't exactly a household name, so it's cool that he's getting more exposure. I think the movie did a pretty good job of showing both his accomplishments as well as the injustices inflicted upon him.

Linius

Completely went past me this already happened. Looked up the nominations, surprised to see not a single entry for The Americans, Masters of Sex and Mad Men. And also surprised to see The Affair did so well. I have yet to finish the season, but normally you don't see it that often that newcomers win a best series award. I wonder if it's even better than Masters of Sex though, that ignored Showtime vehicle.

Happy to see Transparent got some love. And that Simmons won his globe. Though I haven't seen the movies of his competition to be fair. But his performance was amazing.

faridmon

Best Actress in a Miniseries or TV Movie

Maggie Gyllenhaal, The Honorable Woman

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

If anyone haven't seen The Honorable Woman, I implore you to watch it. It was magnificent and Maggie's acting was fucking incredible. Her English accent alone, made me and my friend awe in its credibility.

Is any novel stylistic choice a gimmick to you?

No? But when a film starts to garner press strictly for how it was shot and really nothing else (which Boyhood did for the most part, Birdman was more well rounded but its "single shot" most definitely got it some attention before anyone had even seen it) then yeah, I consider it somewhat of a gimmick.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

first of all, since when do the Oscars have a tendency towards British actors? if anything it's quite the contrary, I cannot count the waves of legendary directors (like Alfred Hitchcock, Charlie Chaplin, to cite the best examples) who didn't get shit because, well, why exactly? I can take a guess
second,, have you seen em? Eddie Redmayne's really mindblowingly good in TTOE, even better than Cumberbatch. Best performance I've seen in years, even better than Tom Hardy's Locke (another one who at least deserved a nom for Bronson and said movie, and got shit)

I have not seen Fargo but did it deserve to win over true detective? Was it that good? If so I guess I may have to definitely start seeing it sometime.

Well both are really great. But yes i think Fargo was even a step up.
Kinda hard to say since i can also imagine people liking TD more.

But it would be a waste not to see Fargo. Really good.

Julianne Moore is still hot
god yesss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom