• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gonna' pick up a Sony Hi-MD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Which one should I go for? 800 or 600? Which has the faster transfer speed? Which one allows external recording (from TV, other music players, etc.) I already have an iPod, so let's avoid responses revolving Apple.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Can you get the sony video players yet?

Just curious : Why would you actually want one if you have the Ipod?

AlphaSnake

I don't know about a video player, and I wouldn't get one either. My iPod is connected to my amplifiers, so I want an MD to use as my walking companion. I like that they're lighter, and run over 40 hours on a lousy AA better.

I'm reading cNet now and they say that the 600 is rubbish. Slow as hell transfers and it's restricted to just ATRAC. WTF? :\

AlphaSnake

Sony's claim that you can store 45 hours of music on each Hi-MD cartridge is accurate but only if you convert your songs to Sony's ATRAC3plus format with a 48Kbps bit rate. And therein lies the rub: Although the player supports MP3, WAV, and unsecured WMA files, it stubbornly won't play them unless they're converted to some variant of ATRAC first. This not only severely limits compatibility with online music stores (Sony wants you to work exclusively with its new Connect service, natch), but it also slows down file transfers. The old-school USB 1.1 interface doesn't help matters.

What the fuck? Tell me that the 800 doesn't have any of this shit...this is a review from the 600.

Err, all MDs convert MP3s to Atrac. Please tell me you knew this before you considered it :p

Supposedly, the transfer speed is 100x real time, which is like partially a second or something.

AlphaSnake

Tre said:
Err, all MDs convert MP3s to Atrac. Please tell me you knew this before you considered it :p

Supposedly, the transfer speed is 100x real time, which is like partially a second or something.

I figured I'd just toss the MP3s on the Hi-MD and call it a day. Will it automatically batch convert them as it's being uploaded into the player? Or do I have to convert and then upload?

AlphaSnake

Tre said:
It'll automatically convert them.

Ok, then. That rocks. I guess I'm gonna' look at an 800. I'm having a shitty time finding any reviews of the 800. The most important thing now is the transfer speed. My iPod transfers at 4MBs on average...I'd want at least 2MB from the MD.

AlphaSnake

Tre said:
"I''m having a shitty time finding any reviews of the 800."

They're not out yet, AFAIK. Unless you've seen a few at stores.

I think they *just* came out. Amazon's selling them. :)

retardboy

Transfering on a minidisc isn't very fast since it's got to convert it and then record it. I'm not sure if it's the same for HI-MD (although I expect it would be since nothing really has changed but the disc size to my knowledge), but if you record at the highest quality, it takes almost as long as the song is to transfer.

AlphaSnake

Mike Works said:
Are there any solid pricepoints for the 600 or 800 yet?

Also, what's the difference between the two?

200 for the 6. 250 for the 8.

600 is barebones, pretty much. The 800 comes with the controller, FM/AM and something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom