• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goodbye Volcano High Review Thread |OT| Snootjob

What scores do you think Goodbye Volcano High will get?

• 30-35%

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • 35-40$

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 27 9.4%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 75 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyberpunkd

Do not see the meteor hit.
Jimmy Carr Oops GIF by BBC

I wonder if people playing the game realize in some cosmic philosophical lucid dream that all their efforts are for nothing, and everyone dies at the end?

Thief1987

Edge 8/10
In between are rhythm-action interludes which recognise that the extra pressure of combos or high scores isn't required to compel you to do well; you want to hit those markers because you know how much it matters. And, as a cathartic climactic performance ensures Worm Drama get to say farewell to Volcano High on their own terms, the eruption of emotion is likely to be reflected on your side of the screen, too.
When the next time resident clowns will tell me about EDGE's super high standards, for gameplay especially, I will be showing this gibberish.

GHG

This launched to 90% positive reviews on Steam. Where's the thread celebrating this?

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Ok well there are countless serous posts here making the argument in all seriousness.

It’s come up constantly during the endless arguing about Starfields spread of review scores.
Well, you are making the argument that a simple game that has nothing exceptional can get and deserve the highest score an outlet can give. With even some rabid fans of some games being reluctant to give out a 10/10 to an outstanding game on the basis that nothing is perfect, it’s really hard to take a top score for a game like this seriously. Furthermore, the review excerpts that have been quoted in this thread are simply ridiculous, not to mention suspiciously similar to parody comments that many people wrote in jest long before the game actually released. It’s almost as if the “specialized” press’s reaction to this game was entirely predictable, for reasons that are clear as day.

This is exhibit number 2,568 why aggregate scores mean jack shit and there isn’t a single gaming opinion anyone can trust to be objective left.

I have zero interest in this game because it’s not my kind of thing (only visual novel style game I’ve ever loved is Pyre). But I’m not gonna lie, I’m really glad it exists just because it’s annoying people so much which is funny to follow. Reminds me of when Hatred came out in 2015.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I have zero interest in this game because it’s not my kind of thing (only visual novel style game I’ve ever loved is Pyre). But I’m not gonna lie, I’m really glad it exists just because it’s annoying people so much which is funny to follow. Reminds me of when Hatred came out in 2015.

Annoying?

Sexy Temptation Island GIF by RTL

I live for this.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Edge 8/10

When the next time resident clowns will tell me about EDGE's super high standards, for gameplay especially, I will be showing this gibberish.

They were a bit crotchety at the time, but those high standards died out about a decade ago.

Still, that quote is comedy gold.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Wait, so they know the world is literally ending and they decide to play music instead of trying to survive or hanging out with their family and telling them they love them?! For real?

nowhat

Wait, so they know the world is literally ending and they decide to play music instead of trying to survive or hanging out with their family and telling them they love them?! For real?
So for the record, I haven't played this game and probably never will.

But if the world were to come to an end, there are so many other people I'd like to spend the rest of my hours with than my family. Not every family is a happy one.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
So for the record, I haven't played this game and probably never will.

But if the world were to come to an end, there are so many other people I'd like to spend the rest of my hours with than my family. Not every family is a happy one.
No, for sure. I just can’t see this being the way they would want to go out as a young people.

I don’t get it I guess. Id pull all of my family in, even the weird ones, and handle it together.

Id hold my wife and kids till the very last moments. Honestly, it bothers me a fair bit to even consider it differently (for me).

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
No, for sure. I just can’t see this being the way they would want to go out as a young people.

I don’t get it I guess. Id pull all of my family in, even the weird ones, and handle it together.

Id hold my wife and kids till the very last moments. Honestly, it bothers me a fair bit to even consider it differently (for me).
Take a look at the clips posted earlier in this thread. The characters have trouble with their family due to gender identity issues. Plus, they’re teens.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

That would be waaay too "head out of my ass," for these writers to espouse in good conscience. This appeals to the "My parents don't accept my demonkin pansexual DID sub-alter, they're literally trying to genocide me," despite living in a home with internet, electricity, food, and stability enough for you to be afforded enough free time to dream up sexualities and identities and concoct drama.

If you want struggle, quests for validity and tests of who you are as a person, I'd suggest retail work before I'd suggest Twitter. Contract mental illnesses and personality disorders from crippling financial stress and forced repeated interactions with smooth brains like us 90's kids.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I think the bolded is one of the issues that some seem to have with the game. It's weird to me that people can't seem to understand that everyone isn't like them.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
To be fair to Fang their parents are on a business trip and all the flights home are cancelled (although they are dinosaurs that can fly).

Dr. Suchong

Edge 8/10

I have this issue and barely skimmed the review because I knew it would be some feebly veiled attempt at trying to convince the reader, or perhaps themselves that this is something worth playing, in order to score points with woke bone heads.
I pretty much read Edge now because I prefer a printed medium and enjoy collecting, but Edge seems to me now a politically skewed, virtue signalling circle jerk.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have this issue and barely skimmed the review because I knew it would be some feebly veiled attempt at trying to convince the reader, or perhaps themselves that this is something worth playing, in order to score points with woke bone heads.
I pretty much read Edge now because I prefer a printed medium and enjoy collecting, but Edge seems to me now a politically skewed, virtue signalling circle jerk.
Their Hogwarts review tells you all that you need to know about them.

ikbalCO

Ive just bought this and planing on playing it after i am done with ff xvi. I always go for smaller games after 30+ hours game and what i wanna ask is as far as small games go how is volcano high when it comes to cleansing from a huge epic experience such as ff xvi?

Top Bottom