• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOWR and HFW bundles didn’t account for anywhere near the majority of sales

The games sold over 500k units physical.
accounting for a majority of sales would be 250k+ bundles each.

PS5 total sales for the year are just ~690k or 770k upweighted.

Hozion has a lot of bundle copies sold tho. GoW share a lot lower.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

I can say that all PS5 sold since at least 3 months where i work are GOW or HFW bundles.
ALL.
And before that most of them were bundles too.

So yeah, it’s not the majority of the games sales but they push bundles because they know that people are desperate to find PS5.

Last edited:
This is very interesting because it shows that PlayStation Studios titles have very strong full priced sales digitally and physically, irrespective of bundling. We know the bundles have hugely driven hardware sales, so the standalone sales must be ginormous.

I had worked under the assumption that GOW:R would have been the first (proper) sequel in a while from Sony to surpass sales of the original game - maybe Horizon did too?

All of this shows why Sony don’t need to put their games day and date in PS+ extra. It would be excellent from a consumer point of view but financially doesn’t make sense for PlayStation.

I do wonder whether Sony are going to use their Netflix partnership to launch Premium on that service. That’s a huge userbase that has the infrastructure in place. I also suspect it’ll be going to PC at some point too.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Im pretty sure anyone on here who ever even thought that narrative made sense is perma-banned.

So not really news to current NeoGAF.

Gudji

Emily Blunt Run GIF by A Quiet Place Part II

skit_data

I swear I read somewhere the console bundles aren’t even accounted for/included in sales figures (at least not the ones by GI.biz IIRC) so it makes even less sense that they’d contribute to the overall sales.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Last year? It has been a constant on all sides. I still remember people saying Mario Kart 8 numbers were due to the Switch bundle for example
Hey I think is a joke regarding Mario Kart. At least on my side.

Isn't this the guy who said the Fable restart rumor was fake? I thought he's not trustworthy...
He has access to the numbers. Is not a random guy

Last edited:
Very suspicious wording in the tweet.

"They helped but are not majority of the sales".

Duh, everyone knew that. Why would majority (50% + ) sales come from bundles? Especially when they change bundled game every year.

Biggest reason why bundles theory is sound cause even masterpiece, biggest sellers like Elden Ring manage 17 million sales in a year. So, average games like Days Gone breaking 10 million is suspect.

Not to mention second half of PS4 era had 3-4 games bundled with each console, was exactly the time when those games started breaking sales records.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Pretty weird narrative, when the games weren’t included for free. My daughter just recently bought a God of War bundle because that’s the first PS5 she saw in the wild.

Duh, everyone knew that. Why would majority (50% + ) sales come from bundles? Especially when they change bundled game every year.

Biggest reason why bundles theory is sound cause even masterpiece, biggest sellers like Elden Ring manage 17 million sales in a year. So, average games like Days Gone breaking 10 million is suspect.

Not to mention second half of PS4 era had 3-4 games bundled with each console, was exactly the time when those games started breaking sales records.

This. There are a handful of games last gen that saw huge sales thanks to massive bundles. I don’t remember anyone here claiming the same about HFW or GOWR, but then again I don’t pay much attention to most sales threads.

Elios83

Do you remember the FUD about PS5 overheating issues that were spread by WindowsCentral?
There were so many:messenger_tears_of_joy:
No hardware ray tracing, only 9 Teraflops, it will be more a Series S competitor, if you install a SSD (only if you're able to get the PhD needed to turn a screw) it will melt the console, no VRR because of hardware HDMI limitations and so on.
So much energy spent on bullshit that failed every time and this just on the hardware side.
On the software side the constant downplay of the critical and sales success of PS studios games that this thread is also addressing.

Don't forget the whole "Using a screwdriver is too complicated"
Imagine if they weren't infants during the 6th gen, needing to work with TWO screws to install an HDD/network adapter on their PS2 or a Game Boy Player on their GameCube.

They'd collapse crying in a corner.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Imagine if they weren't infants during the 6th gen, needing to work with TWO screws to install an HDD/network adapter on their PS2 or a Game Boy Player on their GameCube.

They'd collapse crying in a corner.
Or fixing snes and megadrive power brick and controllers. Because we couldn't afford new ones. Lol

Mr Hyde

Xbox fanboys love to push this shit narrative, especially about Horizon. They also ran with the "it came and went" narrative for Horizon Forbidden West, claiming it flopped and nobody cares when sales data has shown the game charting from time to time showing strong legs. It even has a full blown PS5 only expansion in the works, releasing in a couple of months, what a dud eh?. You must have a pretty pathetic life if you wish for something to fail, just so you can feel good about yourself and your platform of choice.

Last edited:

Your the only one that's suspicious here to be honest.

It's nonsense. These games will still Chart next year when there are no bundles. I expect both to sell around 20m over the next few years. Sony first party is a powerhouse now and obviously, team green ain't too pleased. Horizon especially is despised by them. Probably cause it looks so damn good. We also had multi page threads about aloy being ugly. If that ain't nitpicking and scraping the bottom of the barrel, then what is?

Last edited:

yurinka

Narratives dying. Hate to see

Well, it's obvious. Bundles are always a small portion of the total sales. They bundle big games with consoles because they know are going to be best sellers and that is likely that many people that will buy the console also going to buy that game, so make the bundle to make the purchase more likely.

Not only with Sony, it happens with all consoles.

Xbox fanboys love to push this shit narrative, especially about Horizon. They also ran with the "it came and went" narrative for Horizon Forbidden West, claiming it flopped and nobody cares when sales data has shown the game charting from time to time showing strong legs. It even has a full blown PS5 only expansion in the works, releasing in a couple of months, what a dud eh?. You must have a pretty pathetic life if you wish for something to fail, just so you can feel good about yourself and your platform of choice.
It's a nonsensical narrative: Horizon Zero Dawn sold over 20 million copies and Forbidden West is known to have a faster selling launch than Zero Dawn. That can't be with bundles at all, specially considering game sales in PS are around 80% digital and that only a few million consoles were sold that quarter and the next one, and that only a portion of them were bundles with Horizon.

Last edited:
To some people on this board a bundle is sony holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to pay for horizon and god of war

Rift Apart was also bundled and I didn’t see that breaking sales records or landing in the top 5 charts last year, i wonder why sony couldn’t force 20 million people to buy it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom