• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7’s microtransactions are live, and GT Sports’ $5 cars now cost $40

Beechos

There are classic and rare cars worth many millions of credits. PD have tried to match the credit cost with the real life cost in most cases.

Nothing is "locked away". As with all GT games there are cars with absurd price tags to own.

I guess locked away was the wrong word to use. I only expect like the rpg equivalent of a "legendary" item/car to take that long to grind/expensive to buy out.

Damn, I remember when Forza 5 was going to something similar but but the backlash was bad so they backed away from it. Sony launched it after the reviews and on launch day. Kind of fucked up and I've been telling this to people when they ask me game pass with microtransactions or $70 games with none. I always reply with who says they won't do microtransactions in a $70 game.

luffie

Well we know they will put MTX in the game... GTS had it.
But I'm really happy is that they increase the price.

So they are telling you to rely more on your earned ingame credits than buying credits with money.
GTS was too cheap that made people took the easy way.
lmao, inb4 they "increase in-game economy to give you a better sense of accomplishment".

They better pay you for this post, this is the logic loop that capitalism love the most!

Beechos

Don’t see the need to buy credits/cars, you get tons of cars from the cafe, missions and license tests.
This is what im wondering about the outrage, no one has been able to answer how many of the actual cars take this long to gring/expensive to buy?? 10%, 20%, 50%, 80%,????

R6Rider

Gold Member
The timed offers and digital cars going out of stock are even funnier to me than ppl willing to trade real money for digital credits.
You mean the feature that has always been a thing for Used Car Dealerships in the Gran Turismo titles?

Corndog

Banned
This is what im wondering about the outrage, no one has been able to answer how many of the actual cars take this long to gring/expensive to buy?? 10%, 20%, 50%, 80%,????
It’s irrelevant. 40 bucks for a single car is ridiculous regardless of how many cars are included with the game. You are spinning just like a politician. You change the subject instead of talking about it.

Kagey K

Banned
That is some greedy pricing.
Nah it's fine, they only included those packs to teach you play the game the right way, they don't actually want anyone to buy them.... 😅

Fuck I can't even with a straight face.

Imagine paying ppl to program overpriced MTX into your game as a deterent to stop them from buying MTX.

In what big brain space does this make sense?

Last edited:
Am I hearing and reading this correctly? $40 for one single car for a full retail game? I mean even if it can be earned in game with grinding, that’s beyond ridiculous. Things are only going to get worst from here people. Next you will have to pay real money just to assemble your car piece by piece so you can race in the game you paid $100 for.

Unknown?

I've seen races were you get less than 30k$ when you win. That's 100 races to get one single of those cars.
That's not what I'd call "barely any playing time"
Another reason why this has to be a mistake is the 3M credit cars you posted cost $40 when 3M credits only costs $15 on PSN.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Another reason why this has to be a mistake is the 3M credit cars you posted cost $40 when 3M credits only costs $15 on PSN.
It's cheaper than what the article says?

There are four packs of credits available on the PlayStation Store, costing the following amounts each:
  • 100,000 credits – $2.49 / £1.99
  • 250,000 credits – $4.99 / £3.99
  • 750,000 credits – $9.99 / £7.99
  • 2,000,000 credits – $19.99 / £15.99

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Am I hearing and reading this correctly? $40 for one single car for a full retail game? I mean even if it can be earned in game with grinding, that’s beyond ridiculous. Things are only going to get worst from here people. Next you will have to pay real money just to assemble your car piece by piece so you can race in the game you paid $100 for.
You can grind for points and buy 3M pt cars without real money.

But like all GAAS games, you can just buy virtual dollars (GT credits) and buy it. A 2M pt bundle is $20 alone. So depending if someone wants to buy it in full, or someone has existing pts earned and wants top up credits using real money, you go all in or only buy the difference in pts you need.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If you can fairly play the game naturally and buy the cars you want then cool, ignore the MTX.

but, if that ign comment is true and Sony/polyphony are going to introduce limited time availability etc so you feel forced to pay real money for the car you really want in a 70 pound game they can do one. That’s terrible practice and no defence is fair for that.

hiking your prices to 70 a game and then introducing FOMO MTX mechanics is down right rank.

can’t believe there is even the slightest defence for this shit if the FOMO aspect is true. Fanboys have serious issues. Even Halo which is free to play has an unlimited timeframe in battle passes doesn’t it? Like once you’ve purchased the battle pass you can grind it out forever Until you have everything?

what a downer for a game I was looking forward to picking up. Puts me off becuase they’ve probably made it harder to earn the credits to entice people to pick up real credits for the limited time cars.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you can fairly play the game naturally and buy the cars you want then cool, ignore the MTX.

but, if that ign comment is true and Sony/polyphony are going to introduce limited time availabiluty etc so you feel forced to pay real money for the car you really want in a 70 pound game they can do one. That’s terrible practice and no defence is fair for that.

hiking your prices to 70 a game and then introducing FOMO MTX mechanics is down right rank.

can’t believe there is even the slightest defence for this shit if the FOMO aspect is true. Fanboys have serious issues. Even Halo which is free to play has an unlimited timeframe in battle passes doesn’t it? Like once you’ve purchased the battle pass you can grind it out forever Until you have everything?

what a downer for a game I was looking forward to picking up. Puts me off becuase they’ve probably made it harder to earn the credits to entice people to pick up real credits for the limited time cars.
Someone posted a picture somewhere, but it seems the game is programmed to be smart enough to know how many in-game credits you have vs. a car price. So it'll entice you with a pop message prompting you if you want to buy digital top up credits so you can buy the car.

Combine that with limited available digital cars, and you can see how it preys on people itching to spend money on mtx.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Someone posted a picture somewhere, but it seems the game is programmed to be smart enough to know how many in-game credits you have vs. a car price. So it'll entice you with a pop message prompting you if you want to buy digital top up credits so you can buy the car.

Combine that with limited available digital cars, and you can see how it preys on people itching to spend money on mtx.
awful if true, plain and simple.

supernova8

Banned
I don't mind optional MTX in games but I do wish there was an option to just remove it entirely from the UI.

From the reviews I've seen (unless there's other footage I've missed) it has a menu option (that can be ignored) asking if the player wants to top-up their credits via the Playstation store. I guess this is fine and not too intrusive.

What would annoy me is if you try to buy a car and it says "sorry not enough credits" but *then* has an unskippable menu item that says "would you like to buy it by topping your credits via the PS store?" - that would be fucking annoying but it seems like it isn't the case so I'll give them a pass.

Besides, argument could be made that consumers have shown time and time again they are willing to spend on microtransactions so who are we to say otherwise?

Last edited:
Reactions: pab

Kagey K

Banned
I don't mind optional MTX in games but I do wish there was an option to just remove it entirely from the UI.

From the reviews I've seen (unless there's other footage I've missed) it has a menu option (that can be ignored) asking if the player wants to top-up their credits via the Playstation store. I guess this is fine and not too intrusive.

What would annoy me is if you try to buy a car and it says "sorry not enough credits" but *then* has an unskippable menu item that says "would you like to buy it by topping your credits via the PS store?" - that would be fucking annoying but it seems like it isn't the case so I'll give them a pass.

Besides, argument could be made that consumers have shown time and time again they are willing to spend on microtransactions so who are we to say otherwise?
Imagine if the game offered you a car but said you only had a few minutes to buy it, or you finally earned enough credits to buy the car you wanted and when you go to get it, it says sold out.

Both of those happen in this game

Inviusx

No you don't understand, this is Jim Ryan personally trying to nickel and dime Playstation customers by forcing them to buy cars, when you install the game he comes over and puts a gun to your head. I dealt with him yesterday and couldn't play unless I bought a $40 car. It's sucks I can't play the game anymore without swiping my credit card every 5 minutes and having a giant flashing warning on my screen of Jim holding a gun saying "buy the car or I'll be back". Haven't you read the thread?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

My mistake, if this is how it really is then it's not as bad I said above.

Worst mtx pressure I remember were the old days of COD. Map packs. Not everyone bought them. But they'd show up in the rotation even if you didn't buy that pack. So you either bought the map pack asap (it'd even prompt you taking you to the store when it couldnt load the map), or you had to back out and find a new lobby with standard maps.

A shady practice as it'd pressure you to buy the map pack due to backing out, and because some of your party buddies online might have it as you play. So to not be left out, you'd be pressured to buy it like them so you can join them in all maps.

Horrid purchasing pressure.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
My mistake, if this is how it really is then it's not as bad I said above.

Worst mtx pressure I remember were the old days of COD. Map packs. Not everyone bought them. But they'd show up in the rotation even if you didn't buy that pack. So you either bought the map pack asap (it'd even prompt you taking you to the store when it couldnt load the map), or you had to back out and find a new lobby with standard maps.

A shady practice as it'd pressure you to buy the map pack due to backing out, and because some of your party buddies online might have it as you play. So to not be left out, you'd be pressured to buy it like them so you can join them in all maps.

Horrid purchasing pressure.
CoD map packs were bullshit, the whole group owned them except you and it would blatantly call you out on the menus, to everyone else.

Last edited:

modiz

What makes that even worse is the fact that this game is also always online. So everything you buy is not guaranteed to be available to you in a few years. This is of course also true for the base game but also for everything you buy additionally.

Kagey K

Banned
What makes that even worse is the fact that this game is also always online. So everything you buy is not guaranteed to be available to you in a few years. This is of course also true for the base game but also for everything you buy additionally.
Sony has a long history of keeping servers online forever....

Your purchases will be safe, right Kat?

Right,

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I would love it if people voted with their wallets (or purses) and didn’t buy anything but you can guarantee peeps have already ponied up the dough for their favourite car(s)

Kagey K

Banned
I would love it if people voted with their wallets (or purses) and didn’t buy anything but you can guarantee peeps have already ponied up the dough for their favourite car(s)
By this point I imagine thier "prohibitive" mtx have made 2 or 3 times more than the game sales themselves.

People always want shortcuts.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Sure, but this is no different then the whole DMCV thing, you don't NEED to pay to get em though.

Play the game, get good.

Thats like telling us someone will charge you money to play the game for you and you start crying and making a Huffington Post article to us about that shit. Fuck we suppose to do with this information if lots of us simply GIT GUD and play the actual game? So I just don't care for this optional stuff as a massive talking point. Its getting upset that SOMEONE ELSE might do something that doesn't have shit to do with you or me. I'm sure someone out there is legit paying some pro-gamer to platinum games for them too, you have a picket sign for that too or? lol

The question is, how many credits can you earn while playing the game, let's say per hour? and is it fun to grind?

Well, after completing menu book 1 and grinding out all golds for my National B license last night and I earned 700k credits. That includes the starting amount the game gives you and 3 money prizes from roulette tickets. I dont know if thats a lot.

modiz

Sony has a long history of keeping servers online forever....

Your purchases will be safe, right Kat?

Right,
Yep. If there is one company I trust when it comes to digital and online services, it's definitely market leader Sony, second to none.

onesvenus

Wtf are you talking about?

5tp7gqd.png

FY7PSOC.png

Allandor

So now I understand why there is a online only anti cheat measure.
Just sad that this is just because of macro transactions.

NickFire

:messenger_tears_of_joy: - they already got me. Only a couple bucks though. Those used car sales can make it tempting when you see one you want next to another listed as sold out. Sneaky bastards.

skybaby

Which dumbass mod tagged this as clickbait? Can't do math I guess???

It's not, 2.99 cars from gt sport are now as much as $42.50.

Mclaren P1: McLaren P1 GTR ’16 ($4.99 in GT Sport) – 3,600,000
So if you want EXACTLY 3,600,00 credits you need 2,000,000+750,000(x2)+100,000

That's $42.50. or you get 2x 2,000,000 credits and get some change.

kikii

Which dumbass mod tagged this as clickbait? Can't do math I guess???

It's not, 2.99 cars from gt sport are now as much as $42.50.

Mclaren P1: McLaren P1 GTR ’16 ($4.99 in GT Sport) – 3,600,000
So if you want EXACTLY 3,600,00 credits you need 2,000,000+750,000(x2)+100,000

That's $42.50. or you get 2x 2,000,000 credits and get some change.
well its a clickbait cuz u dont have to buy those credits with rl money, its an option nothing else ^^

wonder how many of these complainers plays such as Lost Ark or similar games :p

Jimmy_liv

They’re not even the same kind of “games” lol, one is an actual simulator.

Back to the topic,
this is downright disgusting and unfortunately, this is where the industry is heading.
It would be a thousands times worse without options, though.

If Sony/Poly were to cave and adjust prices what is the sweet spot?

You want to encourage players to grind all the same, but what about impulse buyers, rich cucks that essentially become the gateway for online competitiveness, or those who simply don’t want to?

There’s almost no desirable ending for all players once MTX is introduced.
That’s why I stick with the campaign and earn in-game credits.
You've heard of Forza Motorsports right?

Do yourself a favour and have a Google before commenting.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Really? That's not what the article says

Aston Martin Vulcan ’16 ($4.99 in GT Sport) – 3,300,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)
McLaren P1 GTR ’16 ($4.99 in GT Sport) – 3,600,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)
Audi R18 TDI ’11 ($2.99 in GT Sport) – 3,000,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)

Sony and Polyphony Digital have raised the prices on two cars by 700%, including the Aston Martin Vulcan '16 and the McClaren P1 GTR '16.
Other cars have seen their prices raise by over 1200%. The Audi R18 TDI '11 and Porsche 919 Hybrid '16 both cost $40 in GT7, which is 1233% more expensive than they were in GT Sport.
The Aston Martin Vulcan '16 is 3,300,000 in GTSport
The McClaren P1 GTR '16 is 3,600,000 in GTSport Also
There is no price increase
The ability to actually purchase cars from the PSN store isn't available yet

Beechos

It’s irrelevant. 40 bucks for a single car is ridiculous regardless of how many cars are included with the game. You are spinning just like a politician. You change the subject instead of talking about it.
I blasted this shit near the start of this thread just trying to get more context on the matter. Unlike you i try to get more info instead of mob rage.

Top Bottom