• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto 5 PS5 Version Gameplay - Peformance RT

In a post under the video they say they're using the NaturalVision Evolved graphics mod on PC, so it's not really a fair comparison.

Didn’t catch that part oddly enough, but even modded like that the PC version still has it’s drawbacks in it’s current version vs this release. Granted the anisotropic filtering still fucking sucks on console compared to PC (I still don’t get why that’s the one thing that still always seems to get cut back vs anything else).

I’m guessing the future PC update is going to include the whole RT package, not just shadows and annihilate these console versions but for now it’s actually trading blows with it.

Last edited:
Is this worth the 10 dollars?

I bought it on PS3 and PS4. And I still haven’t played it.

But if the PS5 version atleast improved loading and cut the games size… I might just do it. in case my brother comes through and wants to murder hookers.

JonSnowball

Rockstar really fucks the dog these days, don't they? I have no idea how anyone can defend the business practices of Rockstar over the last decade. The GTA Remastered Trilogy was a pile of shit, and indefensible - those who do defend it stand on a hill of horse shit claiming that the external development team contracted was too small, or inexperienced - Rockstar still had to sign off on those products to see release, they still had to approve milestones. It's on Rockstar and Take-Two, and they're effectively one in the same. The old guard from Rockstar have left. Even Lazlow Jones is gone. With any degree of luck the next GTA title won't be a huge pile of shit, maybe they'll get desperate as they did in the past "we need the Benz!".

The next-gen release of GTA V is the same. It was marketed as enhanced and expanded, then that phrase stopped being associated with the product at all. Now at release it's clear that they've once again done the absolute bare minimum, and they even lack the courtesy of having it be a free upgrade. A billion dollar conglomerate with declining quality standards and consumer consideration.

Rant over, hopefully they shove the two or three renderer upgrades onto PC at some stage, it'd be nice to have a better AA implementation at the very least as the TXAA implementation is shit tier.

JonSnowball

And TAA makes everything blurrier.
Grand Theft Auto V already uses temporal anti-aliasing on PC, it uses nVidias old TXAA implementation that relies on MSAA and temporal anti-aliasing. The only reason GTA V doesn't appear "blurry" with the current implementation is the Multi Sample AA required to use that specific variant of the technology hence the gigantic performance hit when you have it enabled. A modern implementation of TAA would be preferable alongside improved resolution scaling and optional sharpening sliders.

NickFire

If the load times are really 30 seconds I might not spend the cheeseburger, I mean 10 on this. I’ll wait for feedback perhaps. If it’s 30 seconds initial but faster after death no biggie. If it’s 30 seconds every time it loads something, I probably still buy it but begrudgingly. 30 seconds sounds like a nightmare after about a year with just ps5.

I found a first comparison video between the PS4 and PS5 versions. It looks much more improved than you would think. The draw distance is hugely improved. Also, it looks like they completely changed the color grading in some scenes.

Thanks for posting.

That's as big of a visual leap as GTA V had going from PS3 to PS4 imo. Well worth the £9!

If the load times are really 30 seconds I might not spend the cheeseburger, I mean 10 on this. I’ll wait for feedback perhaps. If it’s 30 seconds initial but faster after death no biggie. If it’s 30 seconds every time it loads something, I probably still buy it but begrudgingly. 30 seconds sounds like a nightmare after about a year with just ps5.
Dude, it’s 30 seconds.

GTA V doesn't have as many cars as, say, the Spider-Man games because of design reasons. Have too many cars and you would find yourself unable to navigate in between all that traffic, specially during police chases. The navigation of the environments in Spider-Man doesn't take place at ground level, so of course those games have much more traffic, since they are all pretty much background scenery.
SM is also an exclusive game with an almost unlimited budget behind it backing that deep knowledge of the hardware.

Elios83

I tried it really briefly on PS5 in quality mode and the image is really crisp and the lighting is a huge step up over the PS4 version. I haven't played enough (just 10 minutes) to say more at this point but this seems to be good, it's obviously not a remake but if you haven't played it on PC with ultra settings it seems to be a nice upgrade.
Let's see what the usual technical comparisons websites will find out.

Droxcy

Looks the same if not worse...how is there any blurry textures still this game came out on PS3/Xbox 360 lol. Glad I only play FiveM on PC because I couldn't deal with a console version.

Zeroing

Banned
fdO5sdT.gif

PC has RT shadows and reflections?
Again, there are no RT reflections in this, the reflections in game are near identical to the current PC ultra settings. Shading on the otherhand is a fair improvement from what’s seen on PC ultra settings (minus mods).

As I said in the earlier post, the console version is actually trading punches against the current PC version.

Last edited:
This doesn't have RT reflections and the shadows still somehow look better on PC 🤷‍♂️
I don’t know how you can view the therapist scene without noticing that the PC version’s shadows turn into a glitchy, stuttering mess of bands every time a shadow tries to cross the character’s chest vs the ray-traced version and say the other is better.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I found a first comparison video between the PS4 and PS5 versions. It looks much more improved than you would think. The draw distance is hugely improved. Also, it looks like they completely changed the color grading in some scenes.

high quality GIF

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Been playing some online in RT performance mode on XsX.

The framerate seems really solid.

60fps greatly improves this kind of game.

I dont know if there RT but reflections in water are not screen space, you can still see buildings reflections when the building is not on screen.

It's just ray traced shadows, which honestly look pretty good since it seems like they extend into the distance by a lot.
Rt shadows might be more impactful that reflections in this game. There's a lot of foliage in this game. This ain't cyberpunk or control where reflections are all over the place.

I dunno. Maybe I'm talking shit cause obviously reflections would look good in the city. Esp at night. You can't have it all though on ps5, just not powerful enough. Thr fact that it's got rt at 60 fps is impressive already. Des anyone know if the performance rt is higher than 1080p? That might actually make that mode worth playing.

If they could manage rt shadows, 60 fps, and some sort of 1440 ish resolution I'd go as far as to say they pulled off a fantastic feat reminiscent of Metro exodus next gen version.

Didn’t catch that part oddly enough, but even modded like that the PC version still has it’s drawbacks in it’s current version vs this release. Granted the anisotropic filtering still fucking sucks on console compared to PC (I still don’t get why that’s the one thing that still always seems to get cut back vs anything else).

I’m guessing the future PC update is going to include the whole RT package, not just shadows and annihilate these console versions but for now it’s actually trading blows with it.
AF is such an important setting too. It's such a bummer whenever it's low on console. Like Doom Eternal ps5 RT mode looks worse than my Xb1x version of the game due to this one setting.

Why? People have a right to want to experience this at 4k/60 for the first time on console. Ten bucks is reasonable if it's actually a good upgrade. Take your anger out on Rockstar.

Also, if $10 is what it takes to get a company to make a solid next gen version of a game I already bought then I'll pay. I want to play this and Rdr2 at 60 fps finally.

Key words though is "if it's a good upgrade" and not some half assed lazy port. I've seem some people saying it looks great and others not. I'll find out in a half hour. Load times better not be fuckin 30 sec though.

Aenima

Man, only had played the PS3 version before and the visuals feel like an huge improvement, especially in the lighting, shadows and textures. Thers still alot of places where you can see its an old game with a new coat, but overall really happy with this version.

Playing in Performance with RT mode and feels great. Cutscenes seem a bit choppy, but gameplay feels smooth.
Game also makes a decent use of the dualsense feautures.

I also missed the edgy humor from GTA games. I really wished GTA6 would keep this kind of humor but i doubt it.

Lokaum D+

Well, thats why we dont have GTA6 yet, ppl ll buy any shit that R* makes, even if its broken ( gta trilogy de ), its almost 10 years since this game launched on ps360, stop buying this shit.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Well, thats why we dont have GTA6 yet, ppl ll buy any shit that R* makes, even if its broken ( gta trilogy de ), its almost 10 years since this game launched on ps360, stop buying this shit.
But if I don’t buy how will they know that I want a red dead redemption 2 next gen version

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

lol i know right, its cray how companies like R* can get away with things like this. Here people defending bUt ItS OnLy tEn DOLLARS. Well its $20 on xbox and multiply that by hundreds of thousands who are going to hand them the money you are only proving that less work pays off. After getting fucked by MTX of ubisoft games, battlefield 6 and GTA bugfest Remastered collection my hate for these publishers have grown so much. All we are doing is enabling these idiots to enrich their investors

Though playing games like Elden Rings does restore my faith in humanity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom