• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: The Definitive Trilogy Reveal Trailer

OrangeSun77

Neo Member
I am interested in gameplay improvements, from a graphical point of view it seems that they have not completely ruined it, but of course the original versions of PS2 are always going to be unsurpassed.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
1NrRgwp.png

fkprBZH.png

Hunnybun

Yep, It looks a bit weird on some parts with the semi-realistic lighting and reflections but I think they still did a great job in upgrading the visuals while pertaining the original look and feel.

Yeah it's a good job. I always thought the conventional wisdom that these would just be trivial upgrades made no sense.

I never really got anywhere with GTA 3 so looking forward to playing that with modern controls. And going back to the others is just always good.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Much better than I thought to be honest. Will play San on Game Pass and wait for a sale/inclusion of the other 2 on GP. Still think they should have made online modes, I would have paid £50.

Paasei

Looks like a generic graphics mod. Not bad given how old the games are, but the soul is gone. Looks little cartoony, too.

-pepodmc

Neo Member
For a Remaster of really old games the improvements are actually rather nice, I expected less.

The real upgrade will come with modders now that the games run on unreal engine 4, the better engine will allow them to do great things

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Looks cool but no reason to buy, I have the trilogy on PS2 and my PS2 is still hooked up.

Curious about the speed running community, wonder if they'll be able to break it open like they do with Vice City. Those speed runs are hilarious.

Outlier

I... I actually might get this. It LOOKS a lot more improved, than I expected.

But "How's the gameplay?" is the real question. Hopefully modernized, because I'm not dealing with those ancient control mechanics.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Not gonna complain, we are talking about shit looking games that now look decent for a second playthrough, also qol improvements. At 4k those colors are going too look beautiful. Not sure if I want to buy this at full price tho...

chonga

The end result is weird. Blocky low poly models with unreal engine bloom and other effects? That's just not visually appealing to me at all
Yep. It looks pretty garbage to me. Minimal effort has gone into this. I don't know what all these 'looks better than I expected' posts people were expecting...

Outlier

Why are people complaining about it being $60?

This is a collection of THE three legendary games that shot R* to the top in just a few years.

You get upgraded versions of three complete games!

Unless the gameplay is still early 2000s jank or that I'm missing something else, what is the problem?

Hunnybun

Yep. It looks pretty garbage to me. Minimal effort has gone into this. I don't know what all these 'looks better than I expected' posts people were expecting...

Going by the other thread most people seemed to expect basically zero improvements. Which was always kind of a weird take tbh.

Why are people complaining about it being $60?

This is a collection of THE three legendary games that shot R* to the top in just a few years.

You get upgraded versions of three complete games!

Unless the gameplay is still early 2000s jank or that I'm missing something else, what is the problem?
If Nintendo can charge 60 bucks for lazily emulating three Mario games (with some tiny, tiny improvements), T2 can certainly charge 60 bucks for modern ports of three GTA games.

Top Bottom