• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: The Definitive Trilogy Reveal Trailer

Never played any of these so I'm definitely buying.

siFylan.gif

rapid32.5

bare minimum visuals for GamePass and PSNOW entry. At least the art style remains untouched. GTAIII looks the least enhanced visually.

Last edited:
I never did beat San Andreas. Was loving every bit of it though, so the perfect time to revisit it since the PS2 days. Perfect Game Pass addition.

edit: left off right at the miniature plane mission.

Last edited:
This is done on unreal, its gonna be so easy to replace all these awful models, missing music and pearl clutching censored stuff. Considering how rockstar had mods for the original pulled...they are banking on it

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This IS a regular remaster. Take the original game and slap on some HD textures.

Can we all stop pretending the originals didn't look goofy and cartoony too? We were just filling in the blanks with our imaginations because all we had was a PS2.

302263661b11f9ef8f0fad5eaa650e44.png

Look at this shit. They're arcade games, they were always arcade games. We just thought they were super gritty and realistic because it was 2001.
Not like that.
And when we played these games new, none of it looked cartoony really... maybe now but simple =/= cartoony.

Verchod

Ok so not awful, but certainly not great. And to be honest, why would you bother. The earlier games were fairly basic and each new game really just a technologically better rendition of a city. The story makes little difference surely. Did GTA III have a great story?

it looks alright but its not worth the full price .
Depends what you see as worth full price really.

If people have never played these games before and they are getting them in their definitive versions, I'd definitely say it's worth it. Hundreds of hours of content to be had with these games. 3 full packed games.

For me, it's worth full price because I know I'll play these games to completion even on a replay and the graphical improvements is just icing on the cake. I just hope the controls have had some overhauling too.

Mossybrew

And to be honest, why would you bother.

Yeah, I mean I think they did a pretty good job upgrading the graphics here, but I'm just not the market for these remasters. I already played these games, I have no desire to return to them with so much new stuff constantly coming out to play.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
And when we played these games new, none of it looked cartoony really... maybe now but simple =/= cartoony.

The games haven't changed over time. What's changed is you're not a child/teenager any more so you can see the games for what they are which is cartoony arcade games.

Your imagination filled in the blanks and left you with a more gritty memory of these games. 3 is as close to "gritty" as it gets and that one is also the most arcade-like of any 3D GTA.

And you just (correctly) called the PC mod visuals cancer so I have a feeling you just don't want a remake at all.

Last edited:
Their Twitter says GTAV inspired controls, which means I get to spam X some more, fuck rockstar change that shit up it’s so dated.

abcdrstuv

Banned
Those mods look “good” but they’re not going to remake those games for photo realism and throw away what was distinct about the visuals

bender

What time is it?
Looks a lot better than I was expecting. Character models are a little out of place though. Still curious about the control improvements. With SA coming to Gamepass, it will be great to kick the tires before making a purchase or waiting for a sale.

Sleepwalker

Looks way better than I expected so stupid sexy rockstar gets my money again.

Some people in this thread ask like they want full on remakes of 3 massive games for $60, if they'd remade all 3 you'd get them years apart and for $180 not $60.

Stop being entitled shitheads.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
A minimal, but nice visual enhancement. Looks like any game after I add a few texture mods and a reshade/enb setup. If I get it I'd probably wait till it was 30-40 dollars tbh.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The games haven't changed over time. What's changed is you're not a child/teenager any more so you can see the games for what they are which is cartoony arcade games.

Your imagination filled in the blanks and left you with a more gritty memory of these games. 3 is as close to "gritty" as it gets and that one is also the most arcade-like of any 3D GTA.

And you just (correctly) called the PC mod visuals cancer so I have a feeling you just don't want a remake at all.
Oh I have nothing against remakes. I love Demons Souls.
It does not matter that the original games look as they look. It matters what they were trying to do and how these games compared to other games at the time.
This type of remaster is just not for this

EDMIX

Day 1.

This is a solid remaster. They are correct to maintain that same vibe, feel and look while adding in quality of life stuff.

They are not 100% remaking such massive open world games, put them on 1 disk for $60, highly unfucking likely and I don't know why anyone was expecting that, they made it pretty clear thats not what this was. Keep in mind, its not even to say one day we won't get a full remake of the games over time, but it damn well isn't going to be some $60 bundle or something.

sertopico

Looks good but no thanks. Played all them three in the past as they came out, had a great time, time to move on. Too many operation nostalgia nowadays. They are surely good for those who never had the chance to play them though.

Last edited:
Definetly could have looked even worse, but to think some people thought these games were going to be comparable to the remakes in Mafia: Definitive Edition... 😬

None of these look even close to definitive. San Andreas looks like an asset dump of the mobile release with faces touched up and somehow made to look more deformed. Vice City looks miscolored, flat, and plastic and is likely butchered with censorship and licencing related omissions. Vice City : The Defiled Edition seems like a more fitting name. Even GTA III which seems like the only one to really benefit has not properly touched up faces. They made Misty look like a man for Christ's sake.

I think that the definitive versions of these games remain:
XBOX - GTA III
PC - Vice City
PS2 - San Andreas

Last edited:
Top Bottom