• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto The Trilogy: The Definitive Edition announced, all consoles and PC in 2021 and mobile in 2022

I'm so hyped.

These are literally my all-time favourite games. Especially Vice City and San Andreas. Any excuse to re-live Vice City once again is totally fine by me.

Joe Rogan Reaction GIF by UFC

MiguelItUp

I swear they better not change or remove any of the original music for GTA III
Please have all the music. Please be not modified for current social climate.
Honestly, the thing I'm worried about the most is licensing and all of that. I mean, look at how the Tony Hawk remake had to deal with it. Would be cool if all the music was there in full, but I think it's safe to be prepared for some missing/replaced tracks.

Vice city was my favorite but most of the songs I liked were taken out,I would hope they would get new songs to cover the cut ones

Tranquil

I'm just hoping they updated the controls, I have GTA III on Steam and San Andreas on PS4 and I'm always fighting the controls it's so difficult just to aim and shoot properly, that I never made it very far.

It's day one for me if they update the controls to be like GTA V.

Neilg

Its noticeablly affected by the compression, even though its pretty simple imagery. I'm only bringing it up because it wasn't like this even a few years back and you can see plenty of examples of videos on youtube where they know how to maintain the quality even though the re-encode. They could easily make it look better than that.
Rockstars marketing is in-house, and it's a twitter post so there's fuckall you can do about the compression anyway.

YCoCg

So just to confirm, Rockstar are removing the original versions of these games FROM ALL platforms, and the new Trilogy on PC is going to be Rockstar Games Launcher exclusive.

"classic look and feel" + "Switch" + "Mobile in 2022" = it's going to be HD ports with slightly improved textures

It says "modern gameplay advancements" but I wonder what that even means cause those games are clunky af nowadays. Hopefully it means you don't have to ram x to run anymore, and better aiming would be nice. Hearing that gtaiii music in the video hit me in thr nostalgias.

Last edited:
Years ago, I was so hyped when I was able to get these games on Steam. Then I tried to play them. Yikes.

They need to nail the controls this time around.

Also, try to enhance like RDR and Halo received.

If that isn't fixed, I don't think this will go well.

However, I'm ready!

Tranquil

So just to confirm, Rockstar are removing the original versions of these games FROM ALL platforms, and the new Trilogy on PC is going to be Rockstar Games Launcher exclusive.

I'm assuming they'll only remove the option to purchase, but if you already own the game it should still be there.

Portugeezer

I don't get it, is it kind of a remake like SOTC/Demon Souls, or is it just a remaster 4K,6fps lifting patch?

If it's the firt i'm in, if it's the latter IDGAF.
Rockstar would never sell the trilogy for $60 if it was a substantial upgrade.

Even without footage/screens we can guess it will be PC version of the old games, basically, with probably some upgraded textures/character models here and there.

The gameplay/control improvements will be more important. Old games feel shit to play.

... And the music... They hopefully relicense any music which is needed.

Last edited:

Graciaus

If it doesn't come with the complete soundtrack I don't see any reason to buy this when I already own them on PC.

SSfox

Rockstar would never sell the trilogy for $60 if it was a substantial upgrade.

Even without footage/screens we can guess it will be PC version of the old games, basically, with probably some upgraded textures/character models here and there.

The gameplay/control improvements will be more important. Old games feel shit to play.

... And the music... They hopefully relicense any music which is needed.

If it's really this it's a big Joke TBH, who care about this, i fucking love those games, specially VC, but honestly if it's just this it's Stinks hardcore.

Last edited:
Got a disappointing feeling already, that it will be another case of half hearted at best remastering. I would love to be wrong, Vice City is one of my favourites of all time.

I don't care, but I'll eagerly awaiting the shit show when people figure out the cut content.
Lotta big yikes in those old games that simply won't work in the current year.

"We have blurred everything and made the game silent so that everyone feels welcome."

"Every NPC has a slider so that you can diversify the way you see fit."

"Lil Nas X has re-created every soundtrack for a modern, progressive twist."

Last edited:

saintjules

The fact that it's also coming on mobile devices doesn't inspire much confidence in "graphical improvements". Though I hope there are some significant improvements to visuals and controls.

I'd love to play these three amazing games once again.

I'm curious though because the understanding is that they're using Unreal Engine 4 for the improvements.

Top Bottom