• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Nah this is outright a scandal. Puddle gate doesn't hold a candle to this, WTF is this crap? the below shot is exactly why I was so excited and so sure the game was gonna dazzle graphically. This is outrageous and borderline scandalous.

If you told me this was running on PS4 Pro (just from these screenshots) I would believe you.

Nothing and I mean NOTHING that was shown stood out to me as running on next gen apart from the flying scene with Miles. That SSD is putting in some work but graphically its a very underwhelming game.

They achieved this nearly 3 years ago...

yE8vmsN.png

FkoBHId.png

So how did we get back to here? They no longer believe in subsurface scattering I guess. And did they suddenly forget their eye rendering techniques?

vaimJkS.png

Sorry for spam posting about the same stuff but I'm still in shock.
Exactly lol. Big downgrade.

The second gif when the dude does multiple thrusts and the enemy block them while going backward had me gasping for air...

Chinese and koreans devs really know how to make fake trailers.

Oh no this is one of those games? They're never ever coming out looking the way they do in trailers. Black Myth Wukong, chrono odyssey, phantom game 0, what else? ARE Babylons Fall and Stellar Blade vaporware type games too?

Can only mean ONE thing:

C R O S S - G E N

If that's the case they lose sales from people like me, I own a PS4 and have been hesitant on the PS5 for the last two years, and with the Pro rumours lurking it's held me off from pulling the trigger.

Spiderman 2 and the Wolverine/Last of Us is what I've been looking into finally purchasing one, but if Sony is dumb enough to do cross gen then there's just no reason to buy one yet.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Been on twitter this evening and people are not happy. These spiderman comparisons are really bad and the devs seem to be clueless. A alloush Do not go harrassing that technology director at Insmoniac lmao but hes out there completely oblivious to the backlash.

FxAMXjpWICMIH0m

20230525_114732.jpg

Shinobi sucking up to devs is the problem. Not a single person in the comments section points out that this barely looks better than the base game. No one dares to ask if this is the best they can do with the PS5 hardware on their third game. No one asks if Matrix is even possible with an actual game.

Edder1

GTA was being built on their PS4 engine of the PS3 GTAV. We've seen the footage from 2019. It looked like GTAV on PS4.
Literally every game is built on top of previous title if the same engine is used, but that doesn't mean new graphical features cannot be added later. There have been many videos that were either shown or leaked that highlight how basic and stripped down the visuals are during alpha phase of development. What leaked of GTA was a very early test version without any visual upgrade.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Literally every game is built on top of previous title if the same engine is used, but that doesn't mean new graphical features cannot be added later. There have been many videos that were either shown or leaked that highlight how basic and stripped down the visuals are during alpha phase of development. What leaked of GTA was a very early test version without any visual upgrade.
If there is one thing this Gen has shown its that teams need to revamp their engines to support new game design paradigms like nanite, mesh shaders, real-time gi, software or hardware because simply plugging in these systems in older engines like unreal engine 4 is not going to cut it. We saw this with Star Wars on ue4, dead space on frostbite and horizon burning shores on Decima. Pop-in galore with slow ass flying and other sacrifices. Aldo, These engines are cpu bound and devs can’t figure out ways around it. Spider-Man 2 had pop in too.

Rockstar has the resources to do everything you are saying. I am just not going to believe it until i see it. The devs are all clueless, lazy and cut from the same cloth. Things have changed in this industry. You are just not going to see even the best devs push the visuals like they did last Gen.

Gta6 started dev in 2014 on ps4, they are not going to throw away 6 years of asset creation, models, and other art assets.

GymWolf

Im a Remedy fan boy and Im disappointed. They looked too much like quantum break/control character rendering quality. In fact if you told me that was some QB dlc i wouldnt be suprised. The enviroments looked better than the characters.

Still looks like a PS4 game but Im giving them serious credit for chargeing so little which I assume is them admitting the obvious. Good for them having some ethical standards.
I didn't wanted to be too nasty with the game or people are gonna think that i don't like anything:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

If that's the case they lose sales from people like me, I own a PS4 and have been hesitant on the PS5 for the last two years, and with the Pro rumours lurking it's held me off from pulling the trigger.

Spiderman 2 and the Wolverine/Last of Us is what I've been looking into finally purchasing one, but if Sony is dumb enough to do cross gen then there's just no reason to buy one yet.
One of the reasons I held off on getting a PS5 all this time.

There's no must have games (for me) at this point. Ratchet and Clank, Horizon don't do it for me. I want a next gen game tailored to only the PS5 and from the best Sony studios and i loathe cross gen games. It's gone on for far too long now. I sincerely hope that Spider-Man 2 was built from the ground up for only the PS5 but nothing that was displayed in the showcase leads me to believe it was so I don't know what to think but I do know Insomiac are capable of better than that.

alloush

Been on twitter this evening and people are not happy. These spiderman comparisons are really bad and the devs seem to be clueless. A alloush Do not go harrassing that technology director at Insmoniac lmao but hes out there completely oblivious to the backlash.

FxAMXjpWICMIH0m

20230525_114732.jpg

Shinobi sucking up to devs is the problem. Not a single person in the comments section points out that this barely looks better than the base game. No one dares to ask if this is the best they can do with the PS5 hardware on their third game. No one asks if Matrix is even possible with an actual game.

Haha nah I won’t harass him, I never do that but I was enticed to do it with Neil Drunk Man.

Man those tweets brought a tear to my eye, I wanna see more of those, let there be a huge backlash to this scandal. If watergate wasn’t as big of a deal as this and people flipped out and it warranted that huge backlash how come they’re all singing Insomniac’s praises for Spidey 2 which is way worse than watergate?

Shinobi is a bootlicker who licks them devs boots to stay relevant and in the know. I am ashamed that this motherfucker is Lebanese tarnishing our image lol

Last edited:
Yeah, Spider-Man 2 looks disappointing, specially coming out of Rift Apart which looks bonkers. I'm gonna wait for all the "E3" presentations before entering panic mode but after the mediocre Sony showcase I'm a little worried.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Yeah, Spider-Man 2 looks disappointing, specially coming out of Rift Apart which looks bonkers. I'm gonna wait for all the "E3" presentations before entering panic mode but after the mediocre Sony showcase I'm a little worried.

Tbh this all just looks like part of Insomniac's regular development process. I made a thread on this an hour ago, but look at how Ratchet looked like just 4 months and 1 month prior to launch. It's just how game development goes. I'm not covering for them or "coping", it's still very uncharacteristic of Insomniac Games to release such raw footage. We all wanted to see a much more polished sliver of gameplay to satisfy our cravings for next gen visuals, and I know they have something with more polish they could have shown, but we just have to wait much closer to release. They'll probably treat it like GoW Ragnarok with no state of play and we have to wait for final previews from gaming news outlets to see more. It sucks big time but business wise, it worked out very well for Ragnarok so Sony has no incentive to change marketing strategy.

E71Rqfd.jpg

wt3W23p.jpg

alloush

lol they hid your reply. Had to click on show more replies to see your tweet. They typically save those for really nasty tweets like death threats and harassment but obviously is being Abused to hide any criticism. Can’t escape the bubble.
Wait, you serious? Cmon man is this real? Wow, devs becoming snowflakes and cannot take a piece of criticism, you either praise them to the moon or they get their feelings hurt and block you/hide your reply. This is some sad shit right there

SlimySnake

Wait, you serious? Cmon man is this real? Wow, devs becoming snowflakes and cannot take a piece of criticism, you either praise them to the moon or they get their feelings hurt and block you/hide your reply. This is some sad shit right there
You can try this even on Digital Foundry videos when they first go up. Make a negative comment, log out and come back to the comment section. Your comment will not be there. Log back in and you will see your own comment. There is some hidden algorithm that deletes negative comments from everyone. Its not DF who is doing this though they might have some setting enabled to more militant about deleting comments.

Tbh this all just looks like part of Insomniac's regular development process. I made a thread on this an hour ago, but look at how Ratchet looked like just 4 months and 1 month prior to launch. It's just how game development goes. I'm not covering for them or "coping", it's still very uncharacteristic of Insomniac Games to release such raw footage. We all wanted to see a much more polished sliver of gameplay to satisfy our cravings for next gen visuals, and I know they have something with more polish they could have shown, but we just have to wait much closer to release. They'll probably treat it like GoW Ragnarok with no state of play and we have to wait for final previews from gaming news outlets to see more. It sucks big time but business wise, it worked out very well for Ragnarok so Sony has no incentive to change marketing strategy.

E71Rqfd.jpg

wt3W23p.jpg
i see you are back to your old ways calling gamers stupid and making excuses for lazy devs.

no amount of polish will make spiderman look next gen. just like how year long delays to halo and redfall didnt do much to improve their visuals. But hey, you do you.

rofif

Banned

E71Rqfd.jpg

wt3W23p.jpg
what is this proving?
They added a haze filter.
Spider man 2 is done if it's releasing this year

OCASM

Banned

E71Rqfd.jpg

wt3W23p.jpg
If that thesis was right then the SM2 teaser would have looked worse than what they showed two years later. The opposite is true.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
i see you are back to your old ways calling gamers stupid and making excuses for lazy devs.

no amount of polish will make spiderman look next gen. just like how year long delays to halo and redfall didnt do much to improve their visuals. But hey, you do you.

Am I defending or am I citing a developer's process to provide additional context? You can call them lazy devs all you want but I would put my account on the line that you will purchase the game when it releases. So what does that say about you?

And comparing Insomniac to Arkane and 343??? Yeah - you do you.

hinch7

Man.. replaying through Cyberpunk 2077 with Overdrive enabled (in preparation for the new DLC) and its a little depressing that this is the best we're going to get for some time in terrms of lighting. While the tech catches up. With Blackwell coming out next year, hopefully we'll see other devs experiementing with Pathtracing as we get big advances in RT performance.

The GI soution in nanite in UE5 games isn't bad however.

Last edited:

Xtib81

DF is such a fraud. These supposedly expert tech guys can't see shit or they pretend not to see.
I'm betting they won't even mention those PS3 water and fire effects in their next video.
I remember how they downplayed the outrageous shimmering at 60fps in horizon FW.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Just got banned from the spider-man 2 complaints thread (and ChiefDada ChiefDada 's thread too). Watch out, SlimySnake SlimySnake , GAF is not as free as you think it is.
It happens. At least you didnt get banned. I got modded too. Thats ok. I probably do need to take a step back. been offline the last few hours and its been good lol. Had to come back to say my peace on the ND news, but yeah, their game is likely not coming out till 2028. This is not good for this thread lol.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
That ND SP game is the good news of the day. And it’s been in development for at least 2 years is my guess.

Neil has been hinting at it for years.

They did say we’ll hear more soon, my guess is late 2024 launch.

Look at their track record for big games.

TLOU. 2013

Uncharted 4: 2016
Uncharted: Lost legacy: 2017

TLOU 2: 2020
with a bunch of Remasters, ports and remakes in between the blank years.

I can see next year being huge for them.

They aren’t one of those hack devs that take 10 years on a project. They work efficiently.

Last edited:

alloush

That ND SP game is the good news of the day. And it’s been in development for at least 2 years is my guess.

Neil has been hinting at it for years.

They did say we’ll hear more soon, my guess is late 2024 launch.

Look at their track record for big games.

TLOU. 2013

Uncharted 4: 2016
Uncharted: Lost legacy: 2017

TLOU 2: 2020
with a bunch of Remasters, ports and remakes in between the blank years.

I can see next year being huge for them.

They aren’t one of those hack devs that take 10 years on a project. They work efficiently.
Wait, what am I missing? Was there any news about ND and their upcoming projects?

Represent.

Wait, what am I missing? Was there any news about ND and their upcoming projects?
Yep. Check homepage.

Factions 2 delayed, downsizing the team.. However they confirmed they are working on a new Single Player experience.

Will have more to share "soon"

Represent.

Anyways, back to talking about actual games.

Thinking about buying Jedi Survivor. Never played the first one.

Will I be completely disappointed graphically coming off Burning Shores? Better on X or PS5?

alloush

Yep. Check homepage.

Factions 2 delayed, downsizing the team.. However they confirmed they are working on a new Single Player experience.

Will have more to share "soon"
Yeah just seen it. Honestly I don’t have high hopes for the multiplayer game but I do for the single player one. ND don’t disappoint when it comes to their games honestly and I don’t mean graphically as their credibility in that department took a hit after Drunk Man said what he said about TLOU1 remaster!

H . R . 2

How do we score the models in aw2?

med_alanwake2_screenshot-00096_07fa8ced-034b-4056-8c5c-9fad0cc38048.jpg

3e4faf53d37fcff3c8cd32fedee2c309

Top 3 but not quite the best of the best?

I hope the following is not true
because, I for one, hated that immersion-breaking approach to QB's storytelling

Will Alan Wake 2 feature filmed live-action?​

imAsaSYVELcxuv9GGMwf8N-970-80.jpg.webp

The Northlight Engine is certainly impressive, but there are a couple of scenes in this trailer which look like filmed live action. If it were any other studio, I'd say that it were a cinematic trick,
but Remedy Entertainment is known for mixing different mediums of entertainment through its games – with Quantum Break and Control being the most notable examples.
Remedy is yet to confirm whether Alan Wake 2 will feature live-action sequences, although creative director Sam Lake does hint at the possibility.
In a post on the Alan Wake 2 website, he cites "interactive storytelling, the mix of different mediums, filmed live-action footage" as areas in which Remedy is really pushing its ambition.
Basically, take another look at the trailer for yourself, and you tell me whether that's in-engine Alan Wake or Alan Wake actor Ilkka Villi in the Dark Place phone booth.

Source: gamesradar

Last edited:
What's not realistic about this? No camera guy in the reflection?

I don't know what I'm missing
Compared to that offline render it needs way better shading; Not even the best tech demos can touch that shading.

Graphically Spiderman 2 in that gameplay video is what I expected based on what the developer put in that reveal trailer that published a year ago I believe. All the assets like the geometry, materials and lighting model all looks exactly the same; Even effects like the motion blur look almost as good.

Last edited:

CGNoire

The fact he said Ratchet is more striking should make him go hard on Insomniac that a game that came out 3 years ago and doesn’t hold the same weight as Spidey 2 is more “striking” than Spidey 2 their flagship title. Contradicting statement that!
He is just playing defense to secure further "paid for" behind the scenes vacations.

Alex actually acknowledged how outdated it looked on Beyond3d forum right after it dropped. But seeing Johns commets makes me think he will quickly delete that comment and join John in gaslighting us via there next derp face YT video.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Nah this is outright a scandal. Puddle gate doesn't hold a candle to this, WTF is this crap? the below shot is exactly why I was so excited and so sure the game was gonna dazzle graphically. This is outrageous and borderline scandalous.
I hope the following is not true
because, I for one, hated that immersion-breaking approach to QB's storytelling

Will Alan Wake 2 feature filmed live-action?​

imAsaSYVELcxuv9GGMwf8N-970-80.jpg.webp

The Northlight Engine is certainly impressive, but there are a couple of scenes in this trailer which look like filmed live action. If it were any other studio, I'd say that it were a cinematic trick,
but Remedy Entertainment is known for mixing different mediums of entertainment through its games – with Quantum Break and Control being the most notable examples.
Remedy is yet to confirm whether Alan Wake 2 will feature live-action sequences, although creative director Sam Lake does hint at the possibility.
In a post on the Alan Wake 2 website, he cites "interactive storytelling, the mix of different mediums, filmed live-action footage" as areas in which Remedy is really pushing its ambition.
Basically, take another look at the trailer for yourself, and you tell me whether that's in-engine Alan Wake or Alan Wake actor Ilkka Villi in the Dark Place phone booth.

Source: gamesradar
QB was definitely too much with the tv episode taking away time from the game but I love there mixed media approach as far as it concerns Tvs in game you watch. Shits weird and awesome.

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
Is a Dreamcast port of a PS1 game representative of the power of the Dreamcast? No. Actual Dreamcast games look way better.
Is a PS3 port of a PS2 game representative of the power of the PS3? No, actual PS3 games look way better.
Is a PS4 port of a PS3 game representative of the power of the PS4? No, actual PS4 games look way better.
Is a PS5 port of a PS4 game representative of the power of the PS5? According to Sony first parties (and most third parties), yes.

Worst gen ever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom