• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

alloush

He is just playing defense to secure further "paid for" behind the scenes vacations.

Alex actually acknowledged how outdated it looked on Beyond3d forum right after it dropped. But seeing Johns commets makes me think he will quickly delete that comment and join John in gaslighting us via there next derp face YT video.
Exactly. Shameless people.

I am looking for a genuine YT channel run by people who are honest and don’t hold back, anyone got suggestions?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Exactly. Shameless people.

I am looking for a genuine YT channel run by people who are honest and don’t hold back, anyone got suggestions?
There are none that will outright call the showcase bad. Everyone is scared to lose sponsors and shit. Im going to create one in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.

Even the guys on Colin's podcast that is usually level headed were giving the showcase a B/ B+.

Shockingly, the lowest score I've seen from the big guys was from GREG MILLER on Kinda Funny.

Kyle Bossman was pretty honest: Though he said it was disappointing, couldnt call it "bad" because it had good games

Last edited:

Musilla

lighting, character modeling, destruction, effects... I see everything as superior to what was shown in Spider-Man 2
HruAe2a.gif

alloush

There are none that will outright call the showcase bad. Everyone is scared to lose sponsors and shit. Im going to create one in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.

Even the guys on Colin's podcast that is usually level headed were giving the showcase a B/ B+.

Shockingly, the lowest score I've seen from the big guys was from GREG MILLER on Kinda Funny.

Kyle Bossman was pretty honest: Though he said it was disappointing, couldnt call it "bad" because it had good games

The sad state of affairs, man.

I am looking forward to your channel, go out there and rip them a new one.

Last edited:

Well there you have it, FF16 was meant to be a crossgen game. That’s why it doesn’t have next gen graphics. I knew something was off when they showed the first trailer.

It still looks like it might turn out to be one of the most impressive looking games we will have this gen.

I agree though the graphics don't look like a game that was made from the ground up on ps5.

Also. I have a feeling the visuals will be quite inconsistent. Some of the daytime stuff they've shown in that really open areas that are set in sort of a desert-like area (the area with a lot of reddish hues) looks bland and unimpressive. Then there are the night-time scenes and snippets of a heavily forested area which look amazing.

Almost as if one area was worked on many years ago and the other after they switched development to ps5-only?

Every single one of those guys are clowns. No integrity among Youtubers (or the gaming media) except for ACG and a few smaller channels.

Sorry Kyle Bossman but if you can't give this a bad score because "there were good games" then you also are just afraid of losing your sponsors and exclusive access.

DF ( esp John) havr repeatedly shown to be lacking a backbone when it matters.

Go_Ly_Dow

Well there you have it, FF16 was meant to be a crossgen game. That’s why it doesn’t have next gen graphics. I knew something was off when they showed the first trailer.

They mentioned in June 2022 the PS4 version was canned early on in development. I think something like late 2020 or early 2021.

Compared to that offline render it needs way better shading; Not even the best tech demos can touch that shading.

Graphically Spiderman 2 in that gameplay video is what I expected based on what the developer put in that reveal trailer that published a year ago I believe. All the assets like the geometry, materials and lighting model all looks exactly the same; Even effects like the motion blur look almost as good.

They look the same as that excellent looking offline render?

ChiefDada

Gold Member

You're not making much sense. That was the plan prior to development. They didn't go through with it so there is no PS4 constraint. How the hell did you reach the exact opposite conclusion? This thread is getting weirder by the day.

SABRE220

Yeah, TLOU II is a fucking triumph. It genuinely is more impressive than the overwhelming majority of console games released this gen. That game and Red Dead 2 proved that diminishing returns is a load of horseshit. We’re not there yet.
Its pretty damning when nearly half way into next gen games like rdr2, tlou2 and death stranding remain more impressive than 95 percent of all current games despite having a whole new generation of hardware...the xbox360 to xboxone etc was a smaller jump in hardware than the one we got from the one to next gen and yet even the launch titles like ryse were massive upgrades....meanwhile this gen we are basically slapped in the back of the head if we dont clap for the shit we have been served this gen.

Last edited:

Edder1

Its a pretty damning when nearly half way into next gen games like rdr2, tlou2 and death stranding remain more impressive than 95 percent of all current games despite having a whole new generation of hardware...the xbox360 to xboxone etc was a smaller jump in hardware than the one we got from the one to next gen and yet even the launch titles were ryse were massive upgrades....meanwhile this gen we are basically slapped in the back of the head if we dont clap for the shit we have been served this gen.
It's pretty obvious that barely anyone has upgraded their engines to support new features of current gen consoles. Epic already showed a number of times with UE5 what current gen consoles are capable of when their features are fully utilised.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol this tweet makes me laugh. The guy puts two games side by side but fails to realize that one game looks gen ahead, i swear people have lost their damn minds.

The fidelity in the ue5 demo is leagues ahead of what we got in Spider-Man. This is extremely disappointing from Insomniac. Jstevenson is giving people attitude for asking if this us the final version. He’s like that’s obvious no. Well, obvious would’ve been a generational leap in visuals so let’s not talk about what’s obvious. We are in uncharted territory here and devs are playing stupid. They should just come out and say it started off as last Gen and we wasted two years and 6 months on ratchet and miles instead of making this a big Next Gen showcase. What’s shocking if the lack of any gameplay upgrades. Bizarre.

H . R . 2

new ALAN WAKE 2 screenshots

Alan-Wake-2-4K-Screenshots-2.jpg

Alan-Wake-2-4K-Screenshots-3.jpeg

Alan-Wake-2-4K-Screenshots-5.jpg

Alan-Wake-2-4K-Screenshots-6.jpg

Alan-Wake-2-4K-Screenshots-1.jpeg

it looks like a pretty game, I would say on par with the PS4 pro version of the TLOU2 minus detailed foliage and vegetation.
I feel like devs have, in an unspoken agreement over fps and res, unanimously decided not to push their engines anymore.
almost all studios have either desisted from developing their engines or downgraded them
I think TLOU2, RDR2, and The Matrix demo spoiled us all. not every studio is passionate or talented enough to develop a once-in-a-generation title even if provided with a considerably high budget

I am glad I still haven't bought a PS5
I would be suffering from a serious case of buyer's remorse right now if I had

Last edited:

it looks like a pretty game, I would say on par with the PS4 pro version of the TLOU2 minus detailed foliage and vegetation.
I feel like devs have, in an unspoken agreement over fps and res, unanimously decided not to push their engines anymore.
almost all studios have either desisted from developing their engines or downgraded them
I think TLOU2, RDR2, and The Matrix demo spoiled us all. not every studio is passionate or talented enough to develop a once-in-a-generation title even if provided with a considerably high budget

I think you're remembering TLOU2 a little better than what it is (which is still a great looking game) but AW2 is graphically better apart from the facial modelling and the lighting is a generation above the baked solution of TLOU2.

H . R . 2

I think you're remembering TLOU2 a little better than what it is (which is still a great looking game) but AW2 is graphically better apart from the facial modelling and the lighting is a generation above the baked solution of TLOU2.
well I beg to differ
if anything, I think you're remembering TLOU2 wrong :)
yes the facial modeling in TLOU2 is still unmatched and the lighting is as good, if not better, than what we have seen of AW2 thus far [ the woman's facial animations in the trailer were not as detailed as Alan's]
and TLOU2 was all on a last-gen console, mind you
TLOU2, used a combination of baked and dynamic lighting which is industry-standard. not all light sources in vanilla Control were dynamic either. didn't need to be; it would be extremely taxing on the hardware.
as of yet, there's been no indication whatsoever that AW2 uses dynamic GI or RTX for its lighting. also my complaint was not about the lighting but the foliage and its quality which is clearly inferior to even the PS4 pro version of TLOU2

don't get me wrong though, AW2 will be a looker but somehow I expected a bigger visual leap from Remedy
we might see that with the MP remakes.
or the trailer for the SGF might prove me wrong

Last edited:
well I beg to differ
if anything, I think you're remembering TLOU2 wrong :)
yes the facial modeling in TLOU2 is still unmatched and the lighting is as good, if not better, than what we have seen of AW2 thus far [ the woman's facial animations in the trailer were not as detailed as Alan's]
and TLOU2 was all on a last-gen console, mind you
TLOU2, used a combination of baked and dynamic lighting which is industry-standard. not all light sources in vanilla Control were dynamic either. didn't need to be; it would be extremely taxing on the hardware.
as of yet, there's been no indication whatsoever that AW2 uses dynamic GI or RTX for its lighting. also my complaint was not about the lighting but the foliage and its quality which is clearly inferior to even the PS4 pro version of TLOU2

don't get me wrong though, AW2 will be a looker but somehow I expected a bigger visual leap from Remedy
we might see that with the MP remakes.
or the trailer for the SGF might prove me wrong
June 8th we have extended gameplay of AW2 we will know more then.

H . R . 2

I will say the only console I've played this on is the PS4Pro and it looks amazing at times, but it doesn't look this good.
so you agree it has better lighting and vegetation/foliage than those AW2 screenshots

I finished TLOU2 on the base PS4 and remember the graphics being just as incredible as these screenshots, which as the captions suggest have been captured on none other than a PS4 pro.
I think your memory is not serving you well in this particular case :D, you might wanna play the game again
anyway, the very fact that we are comparing AW2, a next-gen title, with TLOU2, a last-gen, title proves the point I made earlier about passion, as well as the fact that devs are not pushing their engines to their limits

Last edited:

CGNoire

Remedys my favorite dev but I was disapointed. It clearly is as budget restricted as everything else. Unspoken unanimous decision between devs to not push boundrys seems about right.

It also annoys me that Remedy going on 2 games now and even crossing a Generation gap doesnt seem interested in upping there character rendering.

Shit looked fly as fuck when Quantum Break dropped but that was like 7-8 years ago and yet there character rendering looks pretty much the same now with some higher resolution texture here or there.

Nah this is outright a scandal. Puddle gate doesn't hold a candle to this, WTF is this crap? the below shot is exactly why I was so excited and so sure the game was gonna dazzle graphically. This is outrageous and borderline scandalous.

I was one of the first to point out how bad the textures looked in the gameplay demo, just saying that to preface what I'm about to say as I don't want people to think I'm damage controlling. I'm sure by the time the game launches, the textures will look significantly better, if there's one highlight of next-gen PS5 games (yes even cross-gen) is that the texture resolution in a majority of the games have been pushing is impressive.

I think by the time SM2 launches they would have resolved and refined their texture streaming system, and likewise their asset streaming pipeline. I was not impressed by the amount of geometry pop-in I saw either but again it doesn't concern me too much as I do trust Insomniac will fix this by launch.

Last edited:
Dude is trying his best to be diplomatic to not put in danger their relation with sony.

Pretty good and nice is not what people expected for a nextgen only game from the people who made rift apart, we were expecting to be blown apart.

Do people really expect spineless df to call out sony?:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Us gamers are judging it by the way it looks (so controversial right?) but here we have pseudo-experts trying to shut down or shit on anyone trying to criticise the visuals... "iT dOeSn'T lOoK baD, jUst lOoK aT tHis coMPArison tO tHe pRevioUS gaMe".

I expect it to look better but I don't expect a miracle for one simple reason. Insomniac wouldn't have shown it off in the way they did if the visuals are not representative of the final product. They obviously thought it looked good enough. They are probably surprised by the response they are getting. Reminds me of infinite. Developers don't show footage that is really far off from the final result to promote a game for obvious reasons. Normally you get a CG trailer instead.

Musilla

I was always in favor of each first party studio using its own graphics engine, but after seeing Spider-Man 2 and comparing it to Forbidden West, I already have my doubts as to whether it wouldn't be better to turn DECIMA into the official PlayStation engine, and for each studio to contribute their knowledge to improve it and create the ultimate engine.

Is far above the rest
Hr1pVAN.gif

Hr1pXtt.gif

What do you think?

GymWolf

I was always in favor of each first party studio using its own graphics engine, but after seeing Spider-Man 2 and comparing it to Forbidden West, I already have my doubts as to whether it wouldn't be better to turn DECIMA into the official PlayStation engine, and for each studio to contribute their knowledge to improve it and create the ultimate engine.

Is far above the rest
Hr1pVAN.gif

Hr1pXtt.gif

What do you think?
It's harder than you think to switch engine all of a sudden, certain engine don't work well with some genres and people like corey or drunkman are probably proud enough to use their engine over decima.

If all the titles they didn't showed at the event like tsushima2, new bend game etc. are already in advanced phase of development you can't just switch engine like that.

Musilla

It's harder than you think to switch engine all of a sudden, certain engine don't work well with some genres and people like corey or drunkman are probably proud enough to use their engine over decima.

If all the titles they didn't showed at the event like tsushima2, new bend game etc. are already in advanced phase of development you can't just switch engine like that.
I know, it was more wishful thinking because of the disappointment with Spider-Man 2 than realistic :oops:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
lighting, character modeling, destruction, effects... I see everything as superior to what was shown in Spider-Man 2
HruAe2a.gif
Bear in mind that SM2 is a work in progress, full scale open city with a much more realistic art style than Ratchet with a dynamic time of day.

I was disappointed like the rest of you in the visuals of the trailer but I'll let them cook for the next 3-5 months and see what the finished game looks like compared to the Ratchet gif.

Musilla

Bear in mind that SM2 is a work in progress, full scale open city with a much more realistic art style than Ratchet with a dynamic time of day.

I was disappointed like the rest of you in the visuals of the trailer but I'll let them cook for the next 3-5 months and see what the finished game looks like compared to the Ratchet gif.
I agree with you, the Insomniac CM already said that it was not the latest version of the game, but at the moment it is what we have

Top Bottom