• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

VFXVeteran

Banned
If I'm honest I don't think anyone is taking seriously all these jokes about fur, anyone but maybe you. This is GAF, you know, people like to make jokes and laugh at literally anything. Which is kind of a good think, if you ask me.

I'd find it really sad if someone got banned over a joke, TBH. A stupid joke? Maybe, but it'd be sad anyway.

I think we should relax a bit. Things are getting a bit intense lately on GAF.
Jokes are cool and all until they become toxic. All the console war jokes met with a ban. Why? Because it's at a point where the forums are too toxic and people aren't serious enough to have a meaningful conversation. We just had 2 people in that "fur" forum get banned for challenging some of the people their claiming I said there was no fur at all on Ratchet. They did it with sarcasm and got banned. Now I can ask you, how many people got banned for bringing their stupid jokes about fur into other threads causing a derail?

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
We got better visuals than that.

The infiltrator demo isn’t impressive and we already surpassed it at the end of last gen tbh…Gears 5 looks better and so does Final Fantasy Remake.

Not with that flat lightning, the lacking GI/AO is what alone sets apart the actual games from that demo. Washed-out textures are also the part where games have a long way to go. So is the geometry, which might on par when it comes to character modeks, but everything else is rough, edgy.

The only thing that comes to my mind that does match and ever surprasses the Infiltratir demo in terms of quality AND consistency is the recent Matrix UE5 demo, but games still have to catch up.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Jokes are cool and all until they become toxic. All the console war jokes met with a ban. Why? Because it's at a point where the forums are too toxic and people aren't serious enough to have a meaningful conversation. We just had 2 people in that "fur" forum get banned for challenging some of the people their claiming I said there was no fur at all on Ratchet. They did it with sarcasm and got banned. Now I can ask you, how many people got banned for bringing their stupid jokes about fur into other threads causing a derail?
Oh FFS , cry me a river, I have been joking about every console in a lot of thread, I never earned a ban or even a report I believe.I even tried to defend you in that thread but when the bias you are showing became too obvious, you lost, other warriors like you continued your fight and got banned, congrats you escaped that ban wave.Maybe you just want to complain to the mods how they ban your friends arguing in bad faith just like you ?Poor little victim picked a fight he lost spectacularly and can't handle the L, move on instead of crying.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Oh FFS , cry me a river, I have been joking about every console in a lot of thread, I never earned a ban or even a report I believe.I even tried to defend you in that thread but when the bias you are showing became too obvious, you lost, other warriors like you continued your fight and got banned, congrats you escaped that ban wave.
I didn't escape shit. I argued in good faith unlike your teenage posse.

Maybe you just want to complain to the mods how they ban your friends arguing in bad faith just like you ?Poor little victim picked a fight he lost spectacularly and can't handle the L, move on instead of crying.
I "lost a fight" when I explained what I meant and you decided to run with the original hyberbolic statement as me saying it's a fact? Yup.. teenager. I have no more to say to you... carry on..

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I didn't escape shit. I argued in good faith unlike your teenage posse.

I "lost a fight" when I explained what I meant and you decided to run with the original hyberbolic statement as me saying it's a fact? Yup.. teenager. I have no more to say to you... carry on..
My teenage posse?

Wow so mean.
I will now go cry in another thread that is not filled with evidence contradicting everything I stated as facts .... Oh no that's what you do, my bad.
Keep living that tag furever.

Loope

Oh FFS , cry me a river, I have been joking about every console in a lot of thread, I never earned a ban or even a report I believe.I even tried to defend you in that thread but when the bias you are showing became too obvious, you lost, other warriors like you continued your fight and got banned, congrats you escaped that ban wave.Maybe you just want to complain to the mods how they ban your friends arguing in bad faith just like you ?Poor little victim picked a fight he lost spectacularly and can't handle the L, move on instead of crying.
You think it's normal to follow a guy to a whole different thread just to throw that shit at him, when they have the whole other thread to do it? Really?

I'm fully expecting them coming more in droves here, since they are already posting links to this thread.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You think it's normal to follow a guy to a whole different thread just to throw that shit at him, when they have the whole other thread to do it? Really?

I'm fully expecting them coming more in droves here, since they are already posting links to this thread.
So to you I follow him?I just check what thread interests me in the front page and this one is part of it.So you think it is normal to cry in another thread about how you got put to your place instead of where it is directly related.
Want an example? I went to the thread where it was announced that Ms stopped production of all xbox one, I posted that it could lead to produce more xss and xsx and that it was great.
Multiple people corrected me about how things work, did I cry in another thread about how the whole was mean to me?No I learned something and did'nt call everybody disagreeing a teenager or threatened to call mommy and daddy.And it is highly probable that he cries in other threads too he just happenned to post it in a thread I follow.
So maybe next time stop this bullshit witchhunt and if you want to defend someone just be sure he doesn't do the exact same thing you are accusing other to do.

Loope

So to you I follow him?I just check what thread interests me in the front page and this one is part of it.So you think it is normal to cry in another thread about how you got put to your place instead of where it is directly related.
Want an example? I went to the thread where it was announced that Ms stopped production of all xbox one, I posted that it could lead to produce more xss and xsx and that it was great.
Multiple people corrected me about how things work, did I cry in another thread about how the whole was mean to me?No I learned something and did'nt call everybody disagreeing a teenager or threatened to call mommy and daddy.And it is highly probable that he cries in other threads too he just happenned to post it in a thread I follow.
So maybe next time stop this bullshit witchhunt and if you want to defend someone just be sure he doesn't do the exact same thing you are accusing other to do.
I wasn't talking about you....

To clarify, you were criticizing him because he was complaining here. But he was complaining here because some people followed him here to throw that shit at him and it's not the 1st time either. It's just juvenile as shit, if they want to joke and talk shit about something he did in a thread do so in that thread.

I do the same as you, if i fuck up i just admit it and move on.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I wasn't talking about you....

To clarify, you were criticizing him because he was complaining here. But he was complaining here because some people followed him here to throw that shit at him and it's not the 1st time either. It's just juvenile as shit, if they want to joke and talk shit about something he did in a thread do so in that thread.

I do the same as you, if i fuck up i just admit it and move on.
OOOOh I get it , out of context it sounded like you were accusing me of following him which is indeed quite juvenile.But this juvenile attitude has probably been upped by his own juvenile reaction to being wrong, just like nobody followed me after I was wrong in that other thread and I guess nobody followed you when you admit you were wrong.But yeah some people are incapable of admitting their weaknesses and that of course smite the rage in others.I mean I tried to defend him and when it became too obvious that it was just clear bias the guy called me a sony bro or a teenage, of course this kind of behaviour earns you backlash and even moreso when you were wrong from the start.So I guerss juvenile attitude calls juvenile attitude.

ZywyPL

Banned
Came for the pretty pictures, not angry paragraphs.

MtZ9N.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lets take it offline guys. PMs are your friend. This thread is about graphics fidelity, not mod support.

P.S Continued harrassment of VFX or any other poster spilling over multiple threads is ridiculous. you dont like what the guy has to say? Put him on ignore. There are literally three threads at the moment all being derailed due to the same fucking discussion which isnt even a discussion, it's basically everyone trashing him over posts in other threads every time he opens his mouth. Straight up bullying.

VFX drives me nuts too, but it's time to move on. Ignore feature is there for a reason.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Lets take it offline guys. PMs are your friend. This thread is about graphics fidelity, not mod support.

P.S Continued harrassment of VFX or any other poster spilling over multiple threads is ridiculous. you dont like what the guy has to say? Put him on ignore. There are literally three threads at the moment all being derailed due to the same fucking discussion which isnt even a discussion, it's basically everyone trashing him over posts in other threads every time he opens his mouth. Straight up bullying.

VFX drives me nuts too, but it's time to move on. Ignore feature is there for a reason.

I agree, im not to clued up on the situation but if I recall correctly VFXVeteran VFXVeteran said that ratchets Fur is nothing impressive and the last gen consoles could have done fur like that.

While I dont really see the point in cherry picking but on the other hand I dont really see the issue with it, i mean if people dont like it they dont have to reply and amplify the subject, but instead, people where upset and a pile on commenced and several people just took the piss. I think they are worthy of ridicule just as much as somone cherry picking a visual feature.

Last edited:
This is a beautiful cross-gen game and it shows as well. Obviously they have made improvements in gfx to the first game but I do not think there will big difference between PS4 and PS5 version.
There will be pretty big differences actually…

Hunnybun

There will be pretty big differences actually…

It's obvious just from watching the gameplay trailer that they've made pretty significant improvements for PS5. The density and geometric detail in the world are way beyond what you could do on a PS4.

Banned
"We actually developed and tested the game simultaneously on both PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5"

well they just basically confirmed that Sony deliberately held back info on a PS4 version ahead of the PS5 launch for PR reasons...
some though that maybe the PS4 version was a late decision due to chip shortages... nope

Looks like DF stealth edited their article to update the Series S pixel counts int he Matrix Awakens Demo. They had said 720p in the original video with Alex sheepishly saying lower. Well, the updated article says it is SIGNIFICANTLY BELOW 533p.

They go on to say that TSR makes it look better than 533p, but in the video they said it had macro blocking artifacts everywhere. Richard had even made a joke about VCDs vs Blurays. I remember modding my PS1 to play VCDs and I know exactly what hes talking about. They all had a very pixelated look. I swear most VHSs looked better than my Matrix VCD.

I also dont know how a pixel counting site can just say pixel counts are significantly below 533p. They are in the business of counting pixel numbers, you cant just give a rough estimate. Imagine going on dates and telling women you make significantly less than a billion dollars. P.S my dick is significantly below 20 inches. This the same guy who went out of his way to compare the worst case scenarios in every game from Hitman to Watch Dogs and AC pixel counting it like his life depended on it. He didnt say pixel counts in AC and Watch Dogs were significantly below native 4k. He simply said the minimum resolution was 1440p at the worst case scenarios he found.

I am just going to say I told you so. I remember saying this back when Series S was first announced. That it will be fine when cross gen games are trying to do native 4k 60 fps on the series S but the moment you go to 1440p 30 fps or 1080p 30 fps on the XSX, the smaller console will have to go down to 560p. Even I was wrong about how it actually goes lower than that with some other graphical downgrades.
“you cant just give a rough estimate. Imagine going on dates and telling women you make significantly less than a billion dollars. P.S my dick is significantly below 20 inches.”

I’m going to use this on my next date 😂

DF aren’t doing pixel counts anymore apparently. Can’t upset those potential sponsors now can we…

SlimySnake

“you cant just give a rough estimate. Imagine going on dates and telling women you make significantly less than a billion dollars. P.S my dick is significantly below 20 inches.”

I’m going to use this on my next date 😂

DF aren’t doing pixel counts anymore apparently. Can’t upset those potential sponsors now can we…
They did it again with the rainbow six zombies analysis. Gave lower bounds of xsx and ps5. 1440p. Then the xss. 968p. Then they go, the Xss can go lower than that.

Then that isn’t the lower bound is it, you nits!

Congrats on your thread from another form haha, hope it met your expectation.

VR had an opportunity to be something like the 2D to 3D mind blow but it instead resulted in disorientation, looking like a fool, red rings on your face, and my favorite “sweaty face syndrome.”

At least we finally get SSDs to reduce load time and HDR to finally extenuate GOD RAYS.

Games still look the same otherwise, welcome to the purgatory of what everyone else has said, diminishing returns.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Nothing really that new or exciting on the graphics front until starfield, and I feel even that wont be pushing visuals that much beyond what we have seen already.

Hopefully 2023 brings something that is really utilising these console and new game engines. Hellblade 2 is using UE5 so I expect that to be something that really seperates itself from last gen. Maybe Spiderman 2, it will be interesting to see how insomniac upgrades its engine, because its became apparent that rift apart is only utilising a fraction of the PS5 caperbilities and the tools they used were updated PS4 tools. Going to tools designed from the ground up for the PS5 I imagine will make a significant difference.

//DEVIL//

I am not sure what to expect. There is nothing really screams next gen to me in both ratchet and Horizon. Halo and Forza didn't either ( just in case people think I am taking sides ). Not saying they are ugly by any chance. but they are not really next gen either. Getting the game to run at 4k 60 frames isn't next gen really.

The Matrix experience did it for me. that was impressive. most of what I saw using unreal engine 5 is impressive.

Some of the games that impress me graphically:

- Black Myth Wukong
- Project EVE
- Chrono Odyssey
- ILL
- GT7 in replay mode ( need to really play it on real time to judge )

I am not sure what to expect. There is nothing really screams next gen to me in both ratchet and Horizon. Halo and Forza didn't either ( just in case people think I am taking sides ). Not saying they are ugly by any chance. but they are not really next gen either. Getting the game to run at 4k 60 frames isn't next gen really.

The Matrix experience did it for me. that was impressive. most of what I saw using unreal engine 5 is impressive.

Some of the games that impress me graphically:

- Black Myth Wukong
- Project EVE
- Chrono Odyssey
- ILL
- GT7 in replay mode ( need to really play it on real time to judge )
Look at Ratchet and Horizon again… they feel very next gen to me…

Vaelka

We've gotten an awful lot shirtless men in recent years.

Where's our shirtless women in next gen graphics?

Equality hello?

Maogp

Yep. I think the simple fact is that SSM is no longer the graphical powerhouse it used to be. Both studios are bound by the same constraints. GG is further limited by having to render a massive open world, and yet they look pretty much a gen apart.

It's possible that Cory took all the best designers and artists with him for his new IP leaving Ragnorak in the hands of the B team. We saw this play out with GOW Ascension and KZ Shadowfall, the A team was busy making new IPs. It's shocking how similar this looks to the first game. I am getting Ascension vibes here and that's never a good thing. I mean they are reusing the main midgard hub world. Oh now the lake is frozen, wow a new texture! Like come on. This is a $70 AAA sequel. Dont reuse anything on principle. When Insomniac did it for Miles they charged only $40 for it.

Even EA devs had Fifa players updated to use the next gen Frostbite hair tech. NBA2k22 completely changed the character models. Insomniac added ray tracing, upped the crowd density by an insane amount, and completely changed the character models. Complete with new hair rendering. All for a standalone $40 expansion. And I dont think even that was enough. Bluepoint has shown that you can have a massively upgraded graphics engine run on top of a last gen engine. Hell, not just engine, the entire game. You can have the same last gen PS4 game AND have Demon Souls quality graphics for PS5 owners.

Horizon shows just what you can do with next gen. Better character models, hero lighting during gameplay, better water tech, better overall lighting, better hair, better facial animations. I would love to see the PS4 version because aside from those changes, its supposed to look identical but i dont see how, and thats exciting.

hfw_market.jpg
Resource reuse is not only a standard in the gaming industry, but it is mandatory to make a AAA game every 4/5 years. Otherwise a game with that level of detail and scope would come out every 10 years. Only To make a character* like Kratos is necessary one year of work.

*The final character, with animations and even with armors and so on. What do you think, that they do not reuse a good animation? Like the one when he put the boat on the water, is a good animation why the should re do it?

Mobilemofo

We can expect far more dense environments, sub surface scattering enhancements, far better lighting, la noire style enhanced facial work, expressions, non dead eyes etc. Sound is already phenomenal (see returnal). I'm sure there is much more

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yep. I think the simple fact is that SSM is no longer the graphical powerhouse it used to be. Both studios are bound by the same constraints. GG is further limited by having to render a massive open world, and yet they look pretty much a gen apart.

It's possible that Cory took all the best designers and artists with him for his new IP leaving Ragnorak in the hands of the B team. We saw this play out with GOW Ascension and KZ Shadowfall, the A team was busy making new IPs. It's shocking how similar this looks to the first game. I am getting Ascension vibes here and that's never a good thing. I mean they are reusing the main midgard hub world. Oh now the lake is frozen, wow a new texture! Like come on. This is a $70 AAA sequel. Dont reuse anything on principle. When Insomniac did it for Miles they charged only $40 for it.

Even EA devs had Fifa players updated to use the next gen Frostbite hair tech. NBA2k22 completely changed the character models. Insomniac added ray tracing, upped the crowd density by an insane amount, and completely changed the character models. Complete with new hair rendering. All for a standalone $40 expansion. And I dont think even that was enough. Bluepoint has shown that you can have a massively upgraded graphics engine run on top of a last gen engine. Hell, not just engine, the entire game. You can have the same last gen PS4 game AND have Demon Souls quality graphics for PS5 owners.

Horizon shows just what you can do with next gen. Better character models, hero lighting during gameplay, better water tech, better overall lighting, better hair, better facial animations. I would love to see the PS4 version because aside from those changes, its supposed to look identical but i dont see how, and thats exciting.

hfw_market.jpg
I think the next time we see God of War Ragnarok people will be saying the same great things we're saying about Horizon FW

Hunnybun

I think the next time we see God of War Ragnarok people will be saying the same great things we're saying about Horizon FW

I still think Ragnarok looks really good even in the reveal trailer. The character models don't look much better, sure, but they were already exceptional. But virtually all the environments are quite clearly a step up from the first game in terms of density and lighting etc. It looks like a smaller step than HFW but in terms of absolute fidelity, they're on a par.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I still think Ragnarok looks really good even in the reveal trailer. The character models don't look much better, sure, but they were already exceptional. But virtually all the environments are quite clearly a step up from the first game in terms of density and lighting etc. It looks like a smaller step than HFW but in terms of absolute fidelity, they're on a par.
I agree. It looks good

SlimySnake

Resource reuse is not only a standard in the gaming industry, but it is mandatory to make a AAA game every 4/5 years. Otherwise a game with that level of detail and scope would come out every 10 years. Only To make a character* like Kratos is necessary one year of work.

*The final character, with animations and even with armors and so on. What do you think, that they do not reuse a good animation? Like the one when he put the boat on the water, is a good animation why the should re do it?
Well, my post is now woefully out of date. It seems GG simply made those improvements to their PS4 version and they basically came over to the PS5 version. So I was wrong about that.

In terms of changing animations, sure you can reuse some stuff, but it just sticks out when the rest of your game looks so similar. Horizon just looks different from Horizon 1. It's like an Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 leap in visuals. Im sure Uncharted 2 reused many animations but what they added immediately leapt from the screen. Nate's model was different and better. There was more detail in the environments. I dont get that sense from GoW Ragnorak so those animations and other reused assets do stick out.

Well, my post is now woefully out of date. It seems GG simply made those improvements to their PS4 version and they basically came over to the PS5 version. So I was wrong about that.

In terms of changing animations, sure you can reuse some stuff, but it just sticks out when the rest of your game looks so similar. Horizon just looks different from Horizon 1. It's like an Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 leap in visuals. Im sure Uncharted 2 reused many animations but what they added immediately leapt from the screen. Nate's model was different and better. There was more detail in the environments. I dont get that sense from GoW Ragnorak so those animations and other reused assets do stick out.
I would say Zero Dawn to Forbidden West is more like Uncharted 2 vs Uncharted 3.

Let's be real, Uncharted 1 was ROUGH.

Arioco

I would say Zero Dawn to Forbidden West is more like Uncharted 2 vs Uncharted 3.

Let's be real, Uncharted 1 was ROUGH.

It had a ton of screen tearing, which I didn't appreciate back in the day, and performance wasn't great. But it was a very beautiful game with amazing textures and an animation work I'm not sure we had ever seen before when the game launched. Animations were already very good in previous ND titles like Hak and Daxter, but Uncharted was a whole new level. Of course Uncharted 2 and 3 improved a lot on what made the first one stand out, but I have to say that I like it and I really enjoyed playing it.

Maogp

Yeah, you are absolutely right about that, there seems to be no generational leap, but this is another matter. It always amazes me when someone points out a used animation, or an asset from a previous game in the environment etc.

It seems logical to me that studios have their resources, in the world of videogames we have been carrying the "Cobblestone" texture for 30 years!
The studios have whole terabytes of assets, textures, materials, which they use and reuse over time until they are too outdated to be used again.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Im pretty sure AAA games wont use stock metahuman tech. They will customise it until they get there desired look.

I think you've got the wrong idea about "Metahuman tech". Metahuman isn't something you plug into your Unreal game and it makes metahumans for you on the spot. Metahuman is an figure creator; you design your characters, then when you have one you like, you kind of export it (or rather cloud-process it) for use in your game. No Metahuman you use inside a game is "stock", they're all characters a designer customized and exported. I'm sure there are some applications for creating NPCs and other characters as needed (and there should even be ways to modify Metahumans with costumes, accessories, or other cosmetic changes,) but that's not the purpose of the Metahuman Creator tool. It's a "before" tool, not a "during" tool.

ctyv9qx.jpg

So, for example, this scene in Matrix Awakens, that's not just a ton of Metahumans generated in realtime. Those characters would all be made and exported (this segment of the sequence actually had to be video rather than realtime, one of the few not-in-game sequences of this demo) to be in the scene. Same with the characters that wander around the city in the realtime exploration, they were customized by hand and added into the game even though they're regular nobodies in the world. Also, once a Metahuman is created, it still has to be optimized so that a version of each Metahuman can fits within the constraints of the entire game that is being built. (Also of note is that Keanu and Moss were apparently not built using Metahuman Creator, but that's for a different thread.)

Metahuman Creator makes it easier to create those characters to be in the world, but it doesn't automatically make them for the player or even for the designer. And it doesn't affect the graphic fidelity of what you would expect this gen; it just should help the character modelers of game development get to a high level more consistently.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yeah, you are absolutely right about that, there seems to be no generational leap, but this is another matter. It always amazes me when someone points out a used animation, or an asset from a previous game in the environment etc.

It seems logical to me that studios have their resources, in the world of videogames we have been carrying the "Cobblestone" texture for 30 years!
The studios have whole terabytes of assets, textures, materials, which they use and reuse over time until they are too outdated to be used again.
Well, there has always been an expectation that the game's graphics would improve from game to game and animations are a huge part of it in a third person game. I remember how Uncharted 2 didnt just introduce many new takedown animations, they improved all the existing ones too. It felt like a new game. If animations were recycled it wasnt too obvious like the Aloy grapple animation.

When you are taking five years to make a sequel, and you have next gen tech available at your disposal, you simply cannot reuse animations that are so obviously cut and paste. Any other gen, and a five year dev time would always mean a generational difference but things are different in 2022 Sony land. Doesnt mean we also have to stay quiet and not demand more from $70 games that have been in development for 5 years. A little camera tweak, some extra animations, maybe even some minor adjustments to the way she turns around couldve been improved. It sticks out in a game that has gone through extreme lengths to animate probably 20-40 hours of cutscenes for each of its sidequests. something unheard of in a WRPG that just put the character infront of a camera, give them a dialogue tree and call it a day. That to me explains the 5 year dev time. But if you are going through the trouble of doing all that, dont be lazy, just update everything.

Hunnybun

Well, there has always been an expectation that the game's graphics would improve from game to game and animations are a huge part of it in a third person game. I remember how Uncharted 2 didnt just introduce many new takedown animations, they improved all the existing ones too. It felt like a new game. If animations were recycled it wasnt too obvious like the Aloy grapple animation.

When you are taking five years to make a sequel, and you have next gen tech available at your disposal, you simply cannot reuse animations that are so obviously cut and paste. Any other gen, and a five year dev time would always mean a generational difference but things are different in 2022 Sony land. Doesnt mean we also have to stay quiet and not demand more from $70 games that have been in development for 5 years. A little camera tweak, some extra animations, maybe even some minor adjustments to the way she turns around couldve been improved. It sticks out in a game that has gone through extreme lengths to animate probably 20-40 hours of cutscenes for each of its sidequests. something unheard of in a WRPG that just put the character infront of a camera, give them a dialogue tree and call it a day. That to me explains the 5 year dev time. But if you are going through the trouble of doing all that, dont be lazy, just update everything.

This heinous 5 year development time is almost certainly significantly due to covid and having to make significant changes for cross gen development. Covid will have been a thing for almost 2 years by the time the game ships. I'd be amazed if it hadn't added at least 6 months to development and the same for developing for 2 different generations. It could well be more than that.

Top Bottom