• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

mrMUR_96

100% this. Im sorry but SSR was way to effient and high quality of a Hack to throw away for this "processor hungry graphics and framerate crippling" RTwe have now....we gave up glossy relections for this?

Id also say no one would care nearly as much about ssr artifacts if places like DF didnt put a massive magnifying glass on it at all time. Mirror reflections on ground surfaces should be a crime. Give me ssr anyday over that.

Ive been using 3DS Max since the mid 90s and even back then I didnt use RT and vastly preffered cubemaps because in 90% cases it was more than good enough.
SSR is ass and super distracting, so happy to finally move beyond it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
NickFire's 35 minute spiderman comparison video. Hes typically the best at these comparisons.

Not watching it because im playing the game tonight myself but i know not everyone is going to be buying the game. cough arkhamguy cough.

No it's spidey 2, good eye buddy.

I knew the amount of traffic was a dead giveaway but i tried anyway :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I should have picked pics with less cars :lollipop_squinting:
You cant fool me son.

P.S the flying pic that you edited out gave it away. lmao

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Stumbled across this before, 2 games almost a decade apart. Such a shame everything is so safe and paint by numbers now.

Wait till next year's next gen only AC. This was a DLC expansion by a support studio that was turned into a budget standalone title by ubisoft.

But yes, we discussed this and it was good to see many people finally truly appreciate what a fantastic next gen showpiece AC unity was back in 2014.

3fa1i68o9aw51.gif

pmcxyh0o9aw51.gif

SpiderManRTX.gif

Ray traced reflections make an instant impact unlike rt shadows and rtgi.
What is the game at the top?

NickFire's 35 minute spiderman comparison video. Hes typically the best at these comparisons.

Not watching it because im playing the game tonight myself but i know not everyone is going to be buying the game. cough arkhamguy cough.

HEY! To be fair! I was considering it but then I watched the game movie edit on YouTube and it looks like complete dreck for children

MJ sections galore. Cringe dialogue and drama. (An actual line from the game: “goodbye earth… hello planet goo…” said completely seriously.) Miles. Miles. Miles. Miles. Uninspired generic typical Sony third person action adventure hoo hum set pieces and the usual high production values. I get numb to it all. My eyes glaze over. It doesn’t look fun so yeah I’ll probably skip opening week. There’s a small chance it get it down the line though.

Wake me up when a new Batman game comes out though

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

One would think the vast improvement GI/bounced lighting on the entire monument structure would be self evident yet here we are....

sehqh9D.jpg

Not to mention occlusion on the underside of tree branches and the symbiote casting RT reflections. But yeah sure, Insomniac totally Ctrl+ C V'd this sequal. Such lazy developers who are not at the forefront of pushing new gen console tech

Super Troopers Eye Roll GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Nah dude, many of us saw the ugly even in the gif where you think she looks hot.

We know how sony and insomniac operate, no top models in their games.
It’s funny because she’s literally modeled after a goddamn top model

They did this with Abby. They did this with Dina. They did this with Aloy. You get an attractive face and body model. You ugly them up. For reasons that positively mystify me

GymWolf

Gold Member
It’s funny because she’s literally modeled after a goddamn top model

They did this with Abby. They did this with Dina. They did this with Aloy. You get an attractive face and body model. You ugly them up. For reasons that positively mystify me
They should save money and hire ugly crackheads instead, a dose for 30 min of motion capture, eazy peazy.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
One would think the vast improvement GI/bounced lighting on the entire monument structure would be self evident yet here we are....

sehqh9D.jpg

Not to mention occlusion on the underside of tree branches and the symbiote casting RT reflections. But yeah sure, Insomniac totally Ctrl+ C V'd this sequal. Such lazy developers who are not at the forefront of pushing new gen console tech

Not to mention lower distant LOD, lower clutter detail and lower pedestrian density. Wow!

On the same map from the last 2 games with new area the size of CDPR DLC map. How are they so efficient, I still don’t know!

hinch7

sehqh9D.jpg

Geometry, foliage and textures massively improved here as well, though its just one section of the game.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I love how the complexion of the thread has changed in just one day. John only uses the best comparisons and screenshots to paint the game in the best light, and gets us all hyped up on hopium then we come crashing back down to earth after someone else who isnt a complete shill posts some actual unflattering comparisons.

I can still see some improvements in these screenshots, better lighting, better trees, and more traffic, but its also clear a lot of the assets have remained the same.

One thing this does is prove GymWolf GymWolf right about asset quality, textures and models making a bigger difference than simply upgrading the lighting like Lethal01 Lethal01 said earlier today. I did not expect Lethal to lose the fight in one day but this is proof that you can upgrade the lighting all you want, but other things like actual character models and level of detail pops out more.

I love how the complexion of the thread has changed in just one day. John only uses the best comparisons and screenshots to paint the game in the best light, and gets us all hyped up on hopium then we come crashing back down to earth after someone else who isnt a complete shill posts some actual unflattering comparisons.

I can still see some improvements in these screenshots, better lighting, better trees, and more traffic, but its also clear a lot of the assets have remained the same.

One thing this does is prove GymWolf GymWolf right about asset quality, textures and models making a bigger difference than simply upgrading the lighting like Lethal01 Lethal01 said earlier today. I did not expect Lethal to lose the fight in one day but this is proof that you can upgrade the lighting all you want, but other things like actual character models and level of detail pops out more.
I kinda said that too…

Also whoever posted that 4chan pic of Peter and crimson chin MJ with the “mother and son” caption. Please link me that thread.

Those motherfuckers can be hilarious to read through sometimes. They don’t hold back at all

Senua

Gold Member
Spidey 2 is a great looking game, but Sony bros will have you believe it's the second coming of christ.

It makes sense they reused loads of assets, it's easy, why wouldn't they? But to then have people saying it's the best looking game ever made just makes ya think that these people don't even want tech to move foward, they're happy with the same incremental upgrades gen on gen. IMO Spiderman 2 is fine for what it is, but don't pretend it's more than it is Sony bros, it just looks disingenuous.

You cant fool me son.

P.S the flying pic that you edited out gave it away. lmao

I just watched this whole video - so in some cases they improved the graphics very slightly, and in some they cut back? For what? RT? More cars? The jump here is incredibly minimal. I expected a lot more considering their track record.

Still buying, just kinda bummed about that,

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I never played it.. good deal on psn right now.. maybe I should...

Just make sure you get the DLC and play the whole game as Aiden Pearce. I've lived in London in 2010s and their recreation is pretty amazing. It's worth getting just for virtual tourism.

Top Bottom