• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Yup and Here is Miles Morale PS4 version with similar night time look

bird box horror GIF by NETFLIX

Musilla

I have played a little and although the beginning disappointed me a little I must say that things have been improving.

The interiors are incredible, materials, lighting, character modeling, textures, ray tracing... truly incredible
JFbWPwX.gif

And this is for me friend SlimySnake, although from a distance some apartments look quite meh, when you get closer to the base of large buildings the level of detail is really good.
JFbhfXn.gif

Rather than play and enjoy the game.
Look at the lengths you would go to twist reality and revise history just to fandom spiderman...Just because it turned out that the difference between SM1 to SM2 is just improved lighting.

First of all, PC games from day one historically receive 100x more features than the console counterparts and not a single soul ever called the PC version of a game "the next gen version".

PC Version historically sees improvement in Texture Quality (upto 4k textures), Resolution, Level Of Detail, Draw Distance, Reflection Quality, Lighting Quality, Volumetric Lighting/Fog Quality, Ambient Occlusion Quality, Anti-Aliasing Quality, Shadow Resolution/Quality, Particle/Effects Quality, Geometric Detail and more.

Console usually run these features at low/medium while PC has access to high, very high and ultra slider options.
A bigger gap than SM1 OG and SM1 Remaster.
And yet no one calls pc version of games "the next gen version".

To give you an example: Console (PS4/XBO) for example would have SSAO for a game while PC would have option far more expensive and far more better alternatives like HBAO, HBAO+, VXAO, Percentage Closer Soft Shadows (PCSS) and finally RTAO.

Another example is reflections:
Console games (PS4/XBO) would sometimes have low resolution cubemaps. But because the PC version has access to (high > very high and ultra settings for reflection).
You end up with features like a much higher resolution cube map, Parallax-Corrected Cubemaps (PCC), Screen Space Reflection (SSR) with various resolutions, Planar Reflections and finally Ray traced reflections.

Another example is Global Illumination Quality slider: that games like Quantum break, etc has.

Another example is PC versions having Parallax Occlusion Mapping(POM) and Tessellation..

I could keep going but I will stop.

The point is, the SM1 Remaster is the barebone difference of what a normal PC version multiplatform game would have at release. Infact as I have shown above, a PC version game would have alot more improvements.

Calling it a native PS5 next gen version is straight up cope and revising of history.

This is the freakin truth right here and should be the end of the discussion. Spiderman 2 doesn't even have HALF the improvements over SM1 remastered that a typical PC version of a game has over its console counterparts. The PS5 has been so disappointing because EVERY game that has received a PS5 upgrade is lacking 90% of these graphical upgrades that one would expect. Why is that? Combination of weak consoles and developers phoning it in is the only answer.

Demon's Souls actually received those kind of upgrades so it's not impossible. Notice how everything in that game has depth and pops- tesselation and parallax. Spiderman 2 should have more upgrades than LOD and baked gi improvement + slightly better RT reflections! Sad thing is ...Insomniac is actually doing more for us PS5 owners than most other devs (looking at you Ragnarok and Last of Us Part 1).

nemiroff

Gold Member
Oh and these pics in all of it's path-traced glory running on a mighty 4090 is sooooo much better right? Neck and neck with CG am I right?

8oDyXYr.jpg
P1Af9W0.jpg
Au2enKx.jpg

PT and RT in CP is an experimental modification glued on top of an rasterization engine.

So yes, if you desperately need the narrative to be "PT, LOL" then it's relatively easy to find moments in CP where raster overwrites the benefits of rt/pt.

But to be honest I'd like to think that regulars in a "graphical fidelity" thread should know better.

Last edited:
SM Remastered and SM2 are both PS5 only games. Do you understanding my point better now when it comes to fairly measuring generational difference?
Yeah I get the point better now - I guess I was just expecting a bigger upgrade from miles morales level visuals but perhaps that’s on me. In my eye this doesn’t look as good as ratchet and clank - but perhaps I’ll feel differently when I play it as I didn’t think ratchet looks as good in screenshots/videos vs playing on my tv

Alex11

I searched for a 4K video of the beginning of SM2 to check something, and indeed there are some scenes that look quite ugly IMO.
Watched some more, and there are some other like this, it looks stunning one moment, then out of nowhere turns crappy, is this a not enough time issue?

CtlXUEQ.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is the freakin truth right here and should be the end of the discussion. Spiderman 2 doesn't even have HALF the improvements over SM1 remastered that a typical PC version of a game has over its console counterparts. The PS5 has been so disappointing because EVERY game that has received a PS5 upgrade is lacking 90% of these graphical upgrades that one would expect. Why is that? Combination of weak consoles and developers phoning it in is the only answer.

Demon's Souls actually received those kind of upgrades so it's not impossible. Notice how everything in that game has depth and pops- tesselation and parallax. Spiderman 2 should have more upgrades than LOD and baked gi improvement + slightly better RT reflections! Sad thing is ...Insomniac is actually doing more for us PS5 owners than most other devs (looking at you Ragnarok and Last of Us Part 1).
Well, first of all demon souls never got a PS4 version. If you do the math, the game should be doable on a base PS4 at 900p since its running at native 4k 30 fps on a ps5. You would be hard pressed to find the tesselation difference too because that is one setting that you really need a magnifying glass for. if you are not near those bricks, tesseleation isnt gonna stand out as much.

Secondly, you are discounting a lot of other improvements in spiderman which simply cant be done on base ps4 due to its CPU and HDD requirements. Demon Souls is literally running the PS3 game code under the hood. you get some better animations, but its litearlly a ps3 game with fancier graphics. There is a lot more going on under the hood here than in demon souls.

Besides, Demon Souls didnt even deliver rt shadows that they promised and then secretly took out without telling anyone. Insomniac didnt just improved rt reflections, they added them to the entire bodies of water.

In less than two hours, i will be playing this game and in around 3 hours i will be shitting on this game in this very thread. probably on this very page. But there are clearly generational improvements here over SM1 remastered. Not bad for 2.5 years. If sony hadnt signed them up to make a tech demo for the ssd, who knows what kind of upgrades we would be getting. the asset quality in ratchet is actually on par with demon souls and better than spiderman so its not like the tech is not there. it's just impossible to upgrade all the buildings in an open world game in 2.5 years.

better hair tech:
20231019_104732.jpg

better traffic:
QekiqI2.gif

better lighting:

better foliage:
JF5nzAB.gif

I agree that instead of upgrading all that, they shouldve focused on upgrading the buildings since thats the first thing everyone is going to notice in a spiderman game, but id say its more next gen overall than demon souls and ratchet.

hlm666

I honestly hate when people shit on Cyberpunk path-tracing but never actually played it.
It's going to be another 60fps situation, high RT use and full PT/RT will be hand waived away. Then when consoles can do it to some degree next gen it will be game changing ;) It all looks right in motion and even the lows of using some shack that's had zero attention from the lighting artists still looks way better than the lows raster creates in the same situation with no baked lighting and light bleed making the walls look like a damn light source themselves.

Although the fact someone couldn't work out a big glowing pink neon desk top lighting up the back of an object pink wasn't right makes me think maybe I have too much faith people understand how light works in reality.

Next up on this generations fave new game show "the difference is minor" Alan Wake 2, tune in next week to find out how accurate full RT lighting in a game with mechanics revolving around light is a negative somehow.

SlimySnake

Ok initial impressions are good. Game doesnt look next gen, but feels next gen. The intro has some insane stuff going on that i wont spoil but they use the ssd and increase power of the ps5 to just do boss battle at a very large scale. Honestly, this felt like FF16, only more next gen. This is what I have wanted from superhero games since infamous 2. Use the damn open world and they do a phenomenal job here.

Once it ended, the visuals were mostly meh. I can tell that there have been some improvements made. Lighting looks really good at some angles, but its no generational leap in terms of the actual city, character models and overall level of detail. At times it looks worse than Starfield. At times it looks virtually identical to Spiderman 1.

The game defaulted me to Performance mode, and even after i changed to fidelity mode, it started the game in Performance anyway. Didnt notice it was blurry and shimmering until the intro ended and open world well, opened up. 30 fps option looks the best, followed by 40 fps. I might try 30 fps and stick with it.

Overall, this looks worse than Horizon, but still feels more next gen than Horizon, GOW and Starfield combined. Most people here will dismiss this setpiece as something done in the PS3 era. Especially certain italians, but this is exactly what I have wanted from the PS5 ssd and open world superhero boss fights.

Ok initial impressions are good. Game doesnt look next gen, but feels next gen. The intro has some insane stuff going on that i wont spoil but they use the ssd and increase power of the ps5 to just do boss battle at a very large scale. Honestly, this felt like FF16, only more next gen. This is what I have wanted from superhero games since infamous 2. Use the damn open world and they do a phenomenal job here.

Once it ended, the visuals were mostly meh. I can tell that there have been some improvements made. Lighting looks really good at some angles, but its no generational leap in terms of the actual city, character models and overall level of detail. At times it looks worse than Starfield. At times it looks virtually identical to Spiderman 1.

The game defaulted me to Performance mode, and even after i changed to fidelity mode, it started the game in Performance anyway. Didnt notice it was blurry and shimmering until the intro ended and open world well, opened up. 30 fps option looks the best, followed by 40 fps. I might try 30 fps and stick with it.

Overall, this looks worse than Horizon, but still feels more next gen than Horizon, GOW and Starfield combined. Most people here will dismiss this setpiece as something done in the PS3 era. Especially certain italians, but this is exactly what I have wanted from the PS5 ssd and open world superhero boss fights.
That’s pretty scathing honestly slimy. Disappointing but I called it.

And yes we’ve all seen the clip where a certain character throws another character very far through the city and it’s a neat trick but meh. The opening boss fight which I’ve seen beginning to end looked like more PlayStation “WOOOOAH LIKE YOURE PLAYING A MOVIE! WOOOOOAH SLOOOW MOOOOTION!!! WOOOOAH OUR BUDGET WAS HIGH” it’s cool but I still expect a little more from next Gen than giant monster fights. Resistance 2 had a giant monster fight.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

That’s pretty scathing honestly slimy. Disappointing but I called it.

And yes we’ve all seen the clip where a certain character throws another character very far through the city and it’s a neat trick but meh. The opening boss fight which I’ve seen beginning to end looked like more PlayStation “WOOOOAH LIKE YOURE PLAYING A MOVIE! WOOOOOAH SLOOOW MOOOOTION!!! WOOOOAH OUR BUDGET WAS HIGH” it’s cool but I still expect a little more from next Gen than giant monster fights. Resistance 2 had a giant monster fight.
Difference here if that it’s very fast paced unlike that resistance 2 fight, and even the infamous 2 giant monster fight which was basically the monster chasing you through maybe two city blocks. This is way beyond that. stuff i expected last Gen, but never got. So by definition its next Gen.

The character models though. Ouch. Worse than last Gen. I have no idea wtf happened here. Maybe the game was rushed but Peter, miles and dad Osborn in the intro all looked worse than they did in Spider-Man 1. Facial animation work looked unfinished. We haven’t even seen Mj yet.

Difference here if that it’s very fast paced unlike that resistance 2 fight, and even the infamous 2 giant monster fight which was basically the monster chasing you through maybe two city blocks. This is way beyond that. stuff i expected last Gen, but never got. So by definition its next Gen.

The character models though. Ouch. Worse than last Gen. I have no idea wtf happened here. Maybe the game was rushed but Peter, miles and dad Osborn in the intro all looked worse than they did in Spider-Man 1. Facial animation work looked unfinished. We haven’t even seen Mj yet.
Fair enough

At the end of the day though this is the graphical fidelity thread and you opened by saying it doesn’t look next Gen and looks on par with a 2018 game and looks worse than a 2022 cross Gen game :/ cmon insomniac

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
Although the fact someone couldn't work out a big glowing pink neon desk top lighting up the back of an object pink wasn't right makes me think maybe I have too much faith people understand how light works in reality.
Forgive Chief, he sees the world in raster :messenger_winking: Like you said once path tracing comes to playstation in whichever generation he'll be heralding it as the second coming of Christ. I genuinely can't blame him because until you witness yourself it doesn't have the same impact as screenshots or even lossy YT videos.

GymWolf

In some cases yes. But we have seen several instances where the difference is obvious and massive.

They have clearly improved:
- lighting especially mid day lighting
- rt reflections
- better hair rendering
- better trees
- denser traffic
- faster traversal

These are immediately noticeable and next Gen. Other stuff like building assets, night time rendering, character models have received upgrades but yes they do require magnifying glasses etc. but i disagree that you need a microscope in every scenario.

I would’ve loved to have Matrix quality building asset quality, character models and lighting but they have come very close with some lighting conditions, traffic density, and reflections. The smooth panning shots of the city are simply not possible last Gen. I know because we never got a cutscene like that.
Trees look like shit, what?

Edit: my bad you were talking about forza

Last edited:

CGNoire

Ok, this might be the nerdiest thing ive done for this thread, but it was raining here and i was like wow these RT reflections are great.

Had to take a pic to show that real life does have mirror like reflections in some cases. ;p

tcz6eeW.jpg
3jOua1d.jpg

EoL597rXMAMmyJp.jpg

cyberpunk-2077-nvidia-geforce-rtx-ray-traced-reflections-screenshot-002.jpg
Meh....Ill allow it. ;)
Its still rarer than not. In the pursuit of realistic art its always good to ere on the side of common than rare. For example in drawing or painting hands there are times when viewing a standing person with there hands by3 there sides has all 5 fingers visable but its actually pretty rare since most of the fime you the pinky and the ring finger are hidden behind the first 3 digits and if you force there visibility it often breaks the believibility of the image since its not whats generally exspected reguardless of whether or not "it happens".

GymWolf

Lol you know the game is a small jump when even the insomniac cocksuckers on reee are not impressed with the jump from morales, also it seems like the game has a lot of artifacts and shit in motion that should not be there.

Some says that morales\spidey 1 remaster look better :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:
In some cases yes. But we have seen several instances where the difference is obvious and massive.

They have clearly improved:
- lighting especially mid day lighting
- rt reflections
- better hair rendering
- better trees
- denser traffic
- faster traversal

These are immediately noticeable and next Gen. Other stuff like building assets, night time rendering, character models have received upgrades but yes they do require magnifying glasses etc. but i disagree that you need a microscope in every scenario.

I would’ve loved to have Matrix quality building asset quality, character models and lighting but they have come very close with some lighting conditions, traffic density, and reflections. The smooth panning shots of the city are simply not possible last Gen. I know because we never got a cutscene like that.
The variety of npcs is a huge upgrade as well.

Everyone's dressed in black in the OG.

GymWolf

Wonder why the graphics impressions ITT don't really match Digital Foundry's technical review. Did the newest patch introduce a widespread graphical bug or something?

Yeah i wonder why digitalfraude praised the game way more than deserved, they never do this with exclusive games :LOL: :LOL:

I'm dying here, people are finally seeing how bad the models are and how minimal the jump is now that they are actually playing the game, it's not like this shit was noticeable since the beginning:lollipop_squinting:

I swear, who fucking need chapelle show when you have comedy gold 24\7 in that place.

Of course jstevensoy ignore all these post and only respond to the positive people, you love to see it.

Last edited:

hlm666

Lol you know the game is a small jump when even the j stevensoy cocksuckers on reee are not impressed with the jump from morales, also it seems like the game has a lot of artifacts and shit in motion that should not be there.

Some says that morales look better :lollipop_squinting:
In the video someone posted earlier you can clearly see alot of upscaling artifacts like it's fsr or something on car grills, train tracks, radio antennas etc when far away. I think because the base resolution is lower than spidey 1/miles we may be seeing that insomniacs upscaler is struggling when dropping below 1080p like fsr. The shitshow artifacting on the windows might possibly be a bug because it keeps flickering even when standing still and giving time for the temporal accumlation to build, but i'm not sure the other pretty standard upscaling failure cases at lower resolutions are because of bugs.

edit: If im bored one day I might reinstall the pc port of spidey one and see how their upscaler handles sub 1080p compared to fsr/xess/dlss.

Last edited:

GymWolf

In the video someone posted earlier you can clearly see alot of upscaling artifacts like it's fsr or something on car grills, train tracks, radio antennas etc when far away. I think because the base resolution is lower than spidey 1/miles we may be seeing that insomniacs upscaler is struggling when dropping below 1080p like fsr. The shitshow artifacting on the windows might possibly be a bug because it keeps flickering even when standing still and giving time for the temporal accumlation to build, but i'm not sure the other pretty standard upscaling failure cases at lower resolutions are because of bugs.
I haven't watched any review or tech analysis to not get spoilers.

Edit: lol why the empathy reaction dude? :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
MidGenRefresh MidGenRefresh :LOL:

Btw, how fucking stupid it is to not have a performance mode with higher res but no rtx like in the previous game?

Man, you don't understand. This is the next generation of open world games. Build from the ground up to take advantage of cutting edge ray tracing feature: reflections. It simply wouldn't work without it.

I just popped the disc to my PS5 and it's installing. Greatness awaits, haters!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Nothing screams next-gen more than installing a game from a spinning disc. Also, this is stupid. What's the point of having reversible cover art if you're gonna ruin it with a fucking white box informing me that you cheapen out on plastic and used recycled garbage instead. So stupid!

bRzc7Am.jpg

alloush

You should disable internet connection during installation, when it finish you then let the game download the patch.

They explained to me that this is the faster (but still slow af) method.
You can simply pause the patch download, that’s what I do, then resume it after the game installs!

SlimySnake

edit: If im bored one day I might reinstall the pc port of spidey one and see how their upscaler handles sub 1080p compared to fsr/xess/dlss.
Yeah, I think the game is bugged and everyone on era is having the same issue i had ever even if you select fidelity, the game starts you off in performance mode. That mode has rt and drops to 1080p at times.

Fidelity mode looks much better.

I would highly recommend anyone starting the game to double check the settings after launching the game. Should be fidelity. Make sure it is set to smooth as well. If you select uncapped it will try to go above 40 fps.

SlimySnake

Wonder why the graphics impressions ITT don't really match Digital Foundry's technical review. Did the newest patch introduce a widespread graphical bug or something?

Yeah i wonder why digitalfraude praised the game way more than deserved, they never do this with exclusive games :LOL: :LOL:

I'm dying here, people are finally seeing how bad the models are and how minimal the jump is now that they are actually playing the game, it's not like this shit was noticeable since the beginning:lollipop_squinting:

I swear, who fucking need chapelle show when you have comedy gold 24\7 in that place.

Of course jstevensoy ignore all these post and only respond to the positive people, you love to see it.
Fuck era. Fuck fanboys. Fuck digital foundry. Its one thing to praise the game for its visuals and another thing to gaslight anyone criticizing them.

I hope everyone learns from this and we can go back to having actual discussion of the games accomplishments and failures instead of only praising it like DF does nowadays. I really don’t know why the internet is so binary sometimes. You can do both at the same time.

setoman

Hey I understand, I too would be pissed if my prodigal son turned out to be a fraud.
I remember you being so hyped about the gif of spidey swinging through that oval structure in the park as you were commenting how things were now fully geometry. Turns out its the exact same structure in SM1 with zero geometry change.

I too would be disappointed, but I wouldn't try to cover up by making things up.
Hey I bought a PS5 on Wednesday and stayed up all night to play this game and I'm also disappointed.
I stopped after the first mission and im now on the streets with sand. The sand loooks so bad its astonishing how bad it looks compared to horizon forbidden west sand. From what i have played so far, if this wasn't a heavily marketed "sony exclusive". This game wouldn't even be talked about in graphics discussion. It won't even be top 20 graphics.

Sometimes it looks like a PS3 game, most times it looks like a PS4 game, a few times it looks like an actual PS5 game

6NwvaWG.png

Last edited:

SimTourist

The graphical updates are modest at best compared to Spiderman Remaster, some things like distant LoD are even reduced and texture detail is lower too.

Top Bottom