• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

this is atleast faaar better than the shit you usually claim as looking cgi.

still clearly a game though.
How is that shot clearly a game? It looks photo real, sure it’s probably a combo of factors that cause that (light/shadow) but it looks real - you show that to people and tell them it’s a still from a live action TV show and they will believe you

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't know, there's something that I really don't like about Avatar, can't explain, it's really colorful on some scenes with the vegetation and vistas look really nice, like at 2:26, but at the same time sometimes it looks a bit boring and all looks samey which I know, that's that world, but yeah, that's my take. From what I've seen, SM2 at its highs looks better than Pandora at its highs.
I think avatar smash sp2 tbh.

Yesterday i did a mission during a thunderstorm with all the vegetation moving with the wind, the thunders burning some vegetation etc. And i was genuinely impressed.

I wasn't impressed once with sp2.

Yeah the game definitely look better than horizon and cyberpunk sometimes.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I need a good soul that can list me all the game trailers i have to watch from the awards, please don't skip anything, thanks.

The original reveal looked 2 generations ahead of this shit lol.

Lmao right, I thought I was the only one.

Clear downgrade from the original in-engine footage, looks good sure but I was far from blown away.

I'm still curious to see how it stacks up against Death Stranding 2, which we haven't seen since last year by the way and here's me foolishly hoping for a 2024 release.

8hVJPZi.jpg

This shot from the hellblade trailer looks like a real person. I am having trouble believing it’s not
Actually thought it was a live action segment, it is a generation above anything currently out.

rofif

Banned
giphy.gif

This looks 2 gens behind the reveal?
It’s probably a game with only those 2 characters. Original had only 1 character. So they better look good.

I wonder if that’s dillion maybe? The scene with poem where she finds him on a cross in first game is so amazing.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Gym finally admitting a game looks better than his beloved Horizon?:messenger_hushed: And a game he had doubts about, too? Well, fuck me today’s Armageddon day!
Nah dude, i said a lot of bad things about horizon, but what the game does right is more important to me than what oher games do right so it's a matter of personal preference.
The game get even more credit because it's 2 years old, crossgen and open world (and not even a 20-30 hours small open world like sp2).

I'm gonna ask again, what trailers should i watch?

hb2
new monster hunter
wukong
already saw blade lmao
already saw new hello games trailer

and then what?
The eyes give it away,as that would be one hella looking person. They character model is good overall.
Yep, the eyes are a giveaway at least in that pic, i haven't seen the trailer yet.

Last edited:

Falc67

HellBlade looks really good. But I don’t know if I’m watching a bad stream, but it looks too blurry. I want to see Crystal clear fidelity.

Lethal01

Some Avatar gifs. Im honestly blown away by how consistently beautiful this game looks. During day time, night time when all plants start glowing, during rain and storms. Their weather tech is basically what ghost of tsushima promised but thanks to physics being applied to pretty much all foliage here, it helps the world feel so much more dynamic. wind effects are great too.

But what surprised me the most was how beautiful every single area looks so far. I have no idea wtf these previews were playing but this is by far the most consistently good looking game ive played this gen. I must have played for like 2 hours walking from one mission to another and I was continuously encountering areas like these.

K3WIYZh.gif

aYlPhWL.gif

BTW, those bamboo like plants are fully destructible. ran into a rhino nearby and he started chasing me destroying everything in its path like in the movies. The fire effects arent like far cry 2 unfortunately but if you use explosives in these places, plants, leaves and branches all fall down from trees creating the illusion of destruction.

The hdr black level raise hurts the night time a bit, and the ray traced water looks way too grainy probably because im using medium RT reflections instead of ultra, but aside from those two complaints, this is as good as it gets.

I hate the world design, and every trailer made it look worse, bkut the dense foliage does look great at times

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ok hellblade looks good but gameplay looks far too cinematic even for me...

Gta6 is still WAY more impressive to me as a total package.

I'm gonna say something controversial but for such a small, stricted and scripted game, it should look even better than it does, like can you imagine ND or guerrilla or rockstar or hell even ubisoft making the same exact game?
But tbf ninjatheory is a small studio so i have to give them some credit, they are punching way over their weight class.

If ND is still the studio who made tlou2, i think that tlou3 is gonna wipe the floor with this game.

Best thing of the trailer were some shots of her face, the dude doesn't look as good imo.

Mh wilds was super underwhelming graphic wise (fucking switch 2) but it's still a new monster hunter and it looks more like world than the rise aberration.

Last edited:

Kikorin

Hellblade II is the most impressive graphics I've ever seen, nothing come close right now. Obviously I think a game like GTA VI overall will be more impressive because of physics, interaction, freedom and details, but if just talk about graphics it is basically a live action movie in some scenes, the model of the guy is even more impressive than her.

I just watched it on my phone by now tho.

Senua

Gold Member
I'm gonna say something controversial but for such a small, stricted and scripted game, it should look even better than it does, like can you imagine ND or guerrilla making the same exact game?

If ND is still the studio who made tlou2, i think that tlou3 is gonna wipe the floor with this game.
Ninja Theory don't have half the team size or budget to match those studios. I think it looks genuinely fantastic for such a small studio

GymWolf

Gold Member
Hellblade 2 was too dark for me to have a say on the graphics. Will re-watch at night.

This. Can't wait to see what GG do with a brand new game that isn't held back by last-gen consoles!
On one hand i'm excited to see a fully nextgen game from them, on the other hand, since slimy told me that my dream of no low res assets anywhere in a game is not feasible this gen for the lack of ram, i toned down my dreams in term of graphic advancements, especially in open world games.

What they are gonna improve? better lights? i can't even notice or care for the fucking pathtracing on cyberpunk...
They already have set the standard for character models in a huge open world so i don't see big improvements there.

I don't know dude, not having low res assets anymore was my big dream for this gen but it looks impossible, even the best game have a shitload of bad assets that completely destroy my immersion, i'm like kramer, an asset man.

I guess better interaction with the world now that they are not limited by the jaguar cpu...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nah dude, i said a lot of bad things about horizon, but what the game does right is more important to me than what oher games do right so it's a matter of personal preference.
The game get even more credit because it's 2 years old, crossgen and open world (and not even a 20-30 hours small open world like sp2).

I'm gonna ask again, what trailers should i watch?

hb2
new monster hunter
wukong
already saw blade lmao
already saw new hello games trailer

and then what?

Yep, the eyes are a giveaway at least in that pic, i haven't seen the trailer yet.
You have seen pretty much everything.

Watch ronin from team Ninja.
Ff7 rebirth lol
Ff16 dlc

And that’s it. Hellblade 2, no man’s sky 2 and wukong were the only good looking games there. Disappointing show.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ok wukong looks a bit uneven here and there, but for a small studio, it's super impressive, inferior to HB2 but the game looks much bigger and ambitious, i thought slimy was all over this one, it looks like it has a lot of setpieces :lollipop_smirking:

Now it's ronin turn.

Edit: lmao wtf is this ps4 shit?

Last edited:

Alex11

Yesterday i did a mission during a thunderstorm with all the vegetation moving with the wind, the thunders burning some vegetation etc. And i was genuinely impressed.
This is interesting, but can't really play the game much, I'm a bit full of anything Ubi.

Don't know, I'm just not a fan of the world of Avatar, it's more of a design thing, of the same looking floaty islands or the same trees and vegetation.

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is interesting, but can't really play the game much, I'm a bit full of anything Ubi.

Don't know, I'm just not a fan of the world of Avatar, it's more of a design thing, of the same looking floaty islands or the same trees and vegetation.
Oh don't get me wrong, i'm just like 4-5 hours in and i can already sense the "bail out" creeping on me.

The game is gorgeous but i don't give fuck about avatar and enemy variety is absolute dogshit turdiness, and almost nothing put me off more than bad enemy variety in a game.

Thank god for uplay subscription so i only payed on months for 15 euros.

Last edited:

alloush

On one hand i'm excited to see a fully nextgen game from them, on the other hand, since slimy told me that my dream of no low res assets anywhere in a game is not feasible this gen for the lack of ram, i toned down my dreams in term of graphic advancements, especially in open world games.

What they are gonna improve? better lights? i can't even notice or care for the fucking pathtracing on cyberpunk...
They already have set the standard for character models in a huge open world so i don't see big improvements there.

I don't know dude, not having low res assets anymore was my big dream for this gen but it looks impossible, even the best game have a shitload of bad assets that completely destroy my immersion, i'm like kramer, an asset man.

I guess better interaction with the world now that they are not limited by the jaguar cpu...
I hear you. But there's still a lotta things to improve on. This is reminding me of when we were younger and we thought a game could not be improved upon anymore haha. But there is physics, animations (my personal favorite), interactivity, higher res shit (your fave), storytelling, AI, combat system, lighting/shadows/reflections these 3 could be improved hella, and ofx graphics (can't leave this one out in this thread).

SimTourist

In general photorealistic graphics lovers are starving. Most of the games shown have shitty cartoon graphics to hide the lack of budget and skill, and it's not even genuinely great cartoon graphics like Ori, Cuphead or Hifi rush which require a lot of artistry and dedication to nail.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I hear you. But there's still a lotta things to improve on. This is reminding me of when we were younger and we thought a game could not be improved upon anymore haha. But there is physics, animations (my personal favorite), interactivity, higher res shit (your fave), storytelling, AI, combat system, lighting/shadows/reflections these 3 could be improved hella, and ofx graphics (can't leave this one out in this thread).
No no i was talking about raw graphic, i know they can improve in the other things.

But not having to look at bad textures was my dream for this gen.

Oh and btw, OD smash HB2 with a nuclear missile face details wise, too bad that it looks like another worthless fart sniffing project from master kojima.

OD is what i expected nextgen to look.

eNT1TY

Ok hellblade looks good but gameplay looks far too cinematic even for me...

Gta6 is still WAY more impressive to me as a total package.

I'm gonna say something controversial but for such a small, stricted and scripted game, it should look even better than it does, like can you imagine ND or guerrilla or rockstar or hell even ubisoft making the same exact game?
But tbf ninjatheory is a small studio so i have to give them some credit, they are punching way over their weight class.

Best thing of the trailer were some shots of her face, the dude doesn't look as good imo.

Mh wilds was super underwhelming graphic wise (fucking switch 2) but it's still a new monster hunter and it looks more like world than the rise aberration.
Hellblade 2 will in all likely launch looking better than what was shown precisely because of its narrow limited scope, it's the same reason The Order and Ryse looked the way they did. It's easier to make such games look good while not needing the resources or man power GTA 6 demands. At least it has it own unique visual language and not that samey ue5 fodder we are starting to get. I wasn't too impressed yet but this is not it's final form.

eNT1TY

That Exodus game could turn out to be something special if the trailer wasn't all "target render" cg crap but instead was at the very least real time in-engine.

sinnergy

Clear downgrade from the original in-engine footage, looks good sure but I was far from blown away.

I'm still curious to see how it stacks up against Death Stranding 2, which we haven't seen since last year by the way and here's me foolishly hoping for a 2024 release.
It looks even beter imo.

Msamy

In terms of next gen graphics, rockstar, massive , ninja theory , saber, pearl abyss, CIG , Remedy and some other studies using UE5 ( like Robocop) shows up however sony studios which leading the industry in last gen in terms of graphics stuck with cross gen titles , remasters and next gen titles with last gem graphics, what the hell are sony studios doing ? Even they don't have any new next gen exclusice to show in tga ? There is something wrong with them

sigrad

What?

Senua

Gold Member
In terms of next gen graphics, rockstar, massive , ninja theory , saber, pearl abyss, CIG , Remedy and some other studies using UE5 ( like Robocop) shows up however sony studios which leading the industry in last gen in terms of graphics stuck with cross gen titles , remasters and next gen titles with last gem graphics, what the hell are sony studios doing ? Even they don't have any new next gen exclusice to show in tga ? There is something wrong with them
Jim Ryans Sony prioritized maximum sales over innovation. Cross gen lasted this long purely on greed. Sony are paying for it reputation wise in enthusiastic circles such as here but they're making more money than ever. Gladly it's finally coming to an end now, albeit way too late for my liking!

Vasto

Since the original reveal nothing has come close to Hellblade 2.

Ninja Theory is top tier in visuals and cinematics.

sinnergy

Jim Ryans Sony prioritized maximum sales over innovation. Cross gen lasted this long purely on greed. Sony are paying for it reputation wise in enthusiastic circles such as here but they're making more money than ever. Gladly it's finally coming to an end now, albeit way too late for my liking!
They believe in generations 🤣

Top Bottom