• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Lethal01

I am more impressed by ff7 rebirth honestly.
Art/custom design stuff is more important that bare tech.
For about a decade now, we are only limited by art and imagination and games that want to push those, have the tech to do it
Ye seeing stuff like avatar, alan wake or GTA is only exciting because it's a preview of the graphics that AA, indie and nintendo gamer will have in 10 years,

That's why i'm more than happy when I see 20 year old franchises make a return with 7 year old visuals
image.png

Last edited:

DanielG165

I can very much state now that Avatar is the real deal in its graphical quality. I literally just escaped from the boring human institution, stepped out into Pandora, and audibly said “wow”. It’s absolutely bonkers how this game looks, and so far I haven’t seen any huge problems on my PC. The graphics are honestly insane, and the draw distance is comparable to that of RDR2 and Horizon 5 in terms of just how far it extends.

I’m not even a huge fan of the Avatar IP, but the films are well known for how boundary pushing they are with their visuals, and the game is doing that for this specific medium. I honestly now think that Alan Wake 2 and Avatar have the best visuals of 2023. Like, I’m really not trying to sound like an advertisement, Avatar has really blown me away so far.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I can very much state now that Avatar is the real deal in its graphical quality. I literally just escaped from the boring human institution, stepped out into Pandora, and audibly said “wow”. It’s absolutely bonkers how this game looks, and so far I haven’t seen any huge problems on my PC. The graphics are honestly insane, and the draw distance is comparable to that of RDR2 and Horizon 5 in terms of just how far it extends.

I’m not even a huge fan of the Avatar IP, but the films are well known for how boundary pushing they are with their visuals, and the game is doing that for this specific medium. I honestly now think that Alan Wake 2 and Avatar have the best visuals of 2023. Like, I’m really not trying to sound like an advertisement, Avatar has really blown me away so far.
that opening shot into Pandora is a legit next gen is here moment.

Is no one else getting some kind of image break up on Ps5 with Avatar? I feel like that’s affecting the “wow” factor for me - cus when I look around it’s got aliasing or something going on, similar to AW2 but not quite as bad

SlimySnake

I'm gonna get absolutely shredded for this but call me crazy, I'm not impressed with Avatar or Hellblade 2.

Let me say these are not graphically bad games. In fact they are graphically good games but I'm not blown into the stratosphere like GTA 6, UE5 reveal demo, Matrix etc

My issues with them are as follows, first of all both received a MASSIVE downgrade from their initial reveals. Their initial reveals satiated by personal standards for "next gen". But as they are now? First of all we have Avatar which admittedly has great vegetation but I find it a very fugly looking game. The lighting feels flat too often and it just seems kind of muddy and drab. I think maybe it's issue is its art style is basically just "here's generic AAA open world slop". Which is sad for an Avatar game because James Cameron made an ethereal recognizable look for that universe at least. But to me it just looks like a generic Ubisoft game with great vegetation.

Hellblade 2 looks great don't get me wrong but it is smeared with so much post processing its not even funny. Just bathed in film grain, blur, fog and chromatic aberration. Its clear alllllll the rendering budget is being spent to make the main girl and say the next like 3 feet in front of her look as good as possible (For a Series S baseline). But the shit feels so claustrophobic and tight and small no wonder it looks decent. You literally can't see like 10 feet in front of her in a lot of the footage. The character models are outstanding but Jesus the environment is so dark and limited and covered in shadows and fog it kind of takes away from it all to me. The draw distance is absolutely minuscule. I suspect a trade off for the high polygon main character.
Graphics are always going to be subjective. As we approach photorealism, its going to come down to art style, cinematography, and animation work. Avatar doesnt have animations so its always going to start off with a disadvantage next to TLOU2 and HFW.

What we CAN discuss objectively is whether or not its doing things better than last gen games. Draw distance, foliage density, volumetric lighting, weather effects, interactive foliage, etc. Its the same reason why I praised Spiderman 2 so much. Yes, it looks like a last gen game, but if you look at what it is doing under the hood, its clear that it is a clear leap over the previous era spiderman games and last gen games in general. I made sure to play HFW and RDR2, two of the best looking open world games before playing Avatar, and its crystal clear to me just how massive of a leap Avatar truly is.

I think this thread can be about both. Its not controversial to say you arent impressed by a next gen game, just as long as you dont diminish the next gen things it is doing.

DanielG165

Another thing that impresses me about Avatar is just how well it’s running. I played for a little over an hour, and wasn’t taken out of the immersion from any PC performance woes. The game just… Ran, which is sadly a surprising thing to say about a AAA release in 2023. I could tell my machine was working whilst running it, but there were no moments where the game became unplayable due to a massive drop in overall performance, and the heat coming out my PC was lukewarm at best. DLSS works really well here, also, despite the AMD partnership.

I’m just so taken aback by Avatar, truly. The sound design is some of the best I’ve ever experienced in a game, the graphics are genuinely “current gen is here” levels of quality, and even the simple act of maneuvering through the world is very smooth and responsive. And, I’m only in a small section of the game; there’s a near overwhelming amount of map and world that I haven’t even seen yet.

Obviously, the likes of GTA 6 will surpass it in 2 years time, but as it stands today, Avatar doesn’t really have another equal in the open world graphics space.

SlimySnake

Another thing that impresses me about Avatar is just how well it’s running. I played for a little over an hour, and wasn’t taken out of the immersion from any PC performance woes. The game just… Ran, which is sadly a surprising thing to say about a AAA release in 2023. I could tell my machine was working whilst running it, but there were no moments where the game became unplayable due to a massive drop in overall performance, and the heat coming out my PC was lukewarm at best. DLSS works really well here, also, despite the AMD partnership.
Yep. Its plug and play like a console game. No shader compilation. No stutter. No fucking around with settings for half an hour running benchmarks. Great CPU usage despite using RT everywhere. Forza, Callisto, Cyberpunk, and star wars have trash CPU usage as soon as you turn RT on. No vraam issues either. Not a single crash in 7 hours of play time. Game selects the best settings and has you to ready to go immediately. It's been a disastrous year for PC ports, and tbh, the last few years in general since cyberpunk came out, but this game is as close to perfect at launch as you are going to get on PC.
I’m just so taken aback by Avatar, truly. The sound design is some of the best I’ve ever experienced in a game, the graphics are genuinely “current gen is here” levels of quality, and even the simple act of maneuvering through the world is very smooth and responsive. And, I’m only in a small section of the game; there’s a near overwhelming amount of map and world that I haven’t even seen yet.
Yep. Sound design is easily the best ive heard in a game. The forest feels alive with all plants, animals, water and wind all emitting sounds. I read a preview where the devs said that nothing is faked. All the sounds you hear are from plants and animals around you in the world at the time. so if you are in a different area with different plants and animals, you will hear different noises. Its funny how cerny made a big deal about audio, and a 3rd party game finally makes full use of it three years later.
Obviously, the likes of GTA 6 will surpass it in 2 years time, but as it stands today, Avatar doesn’t really have another equal in the open world graphics space.
This. In terms of open worlds, nothing has been announced let alone revealed that comes close to Avatar. Sony will have GoT 2, TLOU3 and Horizon 3 that should top it but those games havent even been revealed. Horizon is at least 4 years away and tlou3 and GoT2 are 2-3 years away, and again havent even been announced after 3.5 years since their last game. Hellblade 2 will top AW2 next year for linear games, but open world especially ones set in the wilderness arent even on the radar at the moment. I expected witcher 3 and tomb raider to be at the VGA this year since those studios last released games in 2020, but i guess 3 years isnt enough to make a fucking teaser trailer like gta6 so those games are years out just like tlou3 and GoT2.

Yep. Its plug and play like a console game. No shader compilation. No stutter. No fucking around with settings for half an hour running benchmarks. Great CPU usage despite using RT everywhere. Forza, Callisto, Cyberpunk, and star wars have trash CPU usage as soon as you turn RT on. No vraam issues either. Not a single crash in 7 hours of play time. Game selects the best settings and has you to ready to go immediately. It's been a disastrous year for PC ports, and tbh, the last few years in general since cyberpunk came out, but this game is as close to perfect at launch as you are going to get on PC.

Yep. Sound design is easily the best ive heard in a game. The forest feels alive with all plants, animals, water and wind all emitting sounds. I read a preview where the devs said that nothing is faked. All the sounds you hear are from plants and animals around you in the world at the time. so if you are in a different area with different plants and animals, you will hear different noises. Its funny how cerny made a big deal about audio, and a 3rd party game finally makes full use of it three years later.

This. In terms of open worlds, nothing has been announced let alone revealed that comes close to Avatar. Sony will have GoT 2, TLOU3 and Horizon 3 that should top it but those games havent even been revealed. Horizon is at least 4 years away and tlou3 and GoT2 are 2-3 years away, and again havent even been announced after 3.5 years since their last game. Hellblade 2 will top AW2 next year for linear games, but open world especially ones set in the wilderness arent even on the radar at the moment. I expected witcher 3 and tomb raider to be at the VGA this year since those studios last released games in 2020, but i guess 3 years isnt enough to make a fucking teaser trailer like gta6 so those games are years out just like tlou3 and GoT2.
Star wars outlaws same engine

GymWolf

I have to admit, avatar could be the game with the best graphic right now.

Water is mediocre and characters/enemies don't reach horizon level but the environment looks noticeably better most of the time.

GymWolf

What is your cpu usage during the graphic benchmark? Mine stay at 15-20% in 4k, is it normal?

I don't play with overlay on screen so i have no idea how it fair ingame.

hlm666

What is your cpu usage during the graphic benchmark? Mine stay at 15-20% in 4k, is it normal?

If you use afterburner/rivatuner and like to have the option to quickly toggle it on and off without having to alt tab out, enable the hotkey plugin in rivatuner and you can setup a hotkey to toggle the overlay on and off.

I dont understand such praising of GI implementation too. First thing I ve been noticing since first trailer - lack of AO in places where it should be. Animals' models, hands and other dynamic objects look weird/
hjtd2RR.jpg

Postrocessing, where is it? I dont see high quality motion blur, dof at far distance and other things which make Avatar movie and many games look so impressive. ubisoft are well known haters of rich cinematic look.
I feel like Avatar would of been right up the alley of a developer like Crytek. Crysis 3 to me looks closer to the source material than the actual Avatar game, and this is a 10 year old game.

rGQzODv.jpg
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/175720d7-f6ff-486a-9679-9d6ec2e45432/d6vobb1-9704ff7c-7142-4170-8bf5-1abe73feccbe.gif?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzE3NTcyMGQ3LWY2ZmYtNDg2YS05Njc5LTlkNmVjMmU0NTQzMlwvZDZ2b2JiMS05NzA0ZmY3Yy03MTQyLTQxNzAtOGJmNS0xYWJlNzNmZWNjYmUuZ2lmIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.gQpTTGzagHjdgHcBErK-XjHyypgP4QprpPDh7XHp_-o

Youtube compression looks terrible, but my point is the materials, self shadowing and visual effects like motion blur ect. Not only that, but the Avatar game has that console game look to it; When you look at the game world from the weapon model pov it doesn't have that characteristic of attention to detail I grew up seeing in PC first person shooters.

Last edited:

GymWolf

If you use afterburner/rivatuner and like to have the option to quickly toggle it on and off without having to alt tab out, enable the hotkey plugin in rivatuner and you can setup a hotkey to toggle the overlay on and off.
I don't really like to have anything open when i play to avoid possible problems.

(and believe i heard my fair share of stories about afterburner or riva tuner fucking with things, even if it is rare i like to cut the problem at the source)

GymWolf

Well, Avatar was good until i got bored of it, i'm re-installing rdr2 that i never played in the new pc so i expect no less than 4k120 ultra, but is there a way to use another form of AA that doens't blur the image to death? maybe something i can do in the nv control panel\inspector...

Alex11

Graphics are always going to be subjective. As we approach photorealism, its going to come down to art style, cinematography, and animation work. Avatar doesnt have animations so its always going to start off with a disadvantage next to TLOU2 and HFW.

What we CAN discuss objectively is whether or not its doing things better than last gen games. Draw distance, foliage density, volumetric lighting, weather effects, interactive foliage, etc. Its the same reason why I praised Spiderman 2 so much. Yes, it looks like a last gen game, but if you look at what it is doing under the hood, its clear that it is a clear leap over the previous era spiderman games and last gen games in general. I made sure to play HFW and RDR2, two of the best looking open world games before playing Avatar, and its crystal clear to me just how massive of a leap Avatar truly is.

I think this thread can be about both. Its not controversial to say you arent impressed by a next gen game, just as long as you dont diminish the next gen things it is doing.
Well, graphics as whole, wouldn't you agree? Art style, stylized look etc., is subjective, if a game takes an approach to realistic look, IMO it becomes objective. That's why I always say that people confuse the hell out of the stylized vs realistic approach.

I've watched the DF video (I can't stand them anymore, but wanted to see footage of the game), and admit, I was a bit wrong and a hypocrite to judge the graphics based on design choices, as to me it looks boring, samey. I was wrong because clearly the lighting has some of that CP realistic approach, with soft shadows, indirect shadows and RTGI which looks really amazing and life like at times. But then the colorful things start kicking in, and that confuses me.
Well, Avatar was good until i got bored of it, i'm re-installing rdr2 that i never played in the new pc so i expect no less than 4k120 ultra, but is there a way to use another form of AA that doens't blur the image to death? maybe something i can do in the nv control panel\inspector...
That Ubisoft feeling started kicking in?

GymWolf

Well, graphics as whole, wouldn't you agree? Art style, stylized look etc., is subjective, if a game takes an approach to realistic look, IMO it becomes objective. That's why I always say that people confuse the hell out of the stylized vs realistic approach.

I've watched the DF video (I can't stand them anymore, but wanted to see footage of the game), and admit, I was a bit wrong and a hypocrite to judge the graphics based on design choices, as to me it looks boring, samey. I was wrong because clearly the lighting has some of that CP realistic approach, with soft shadows, indirect shadows and RTGI which looks really amazing and life like at times. But then the colorful things start kicking in, and that confuses me.

That Ubisoft feeling started kicking in?
Yeah the game is painfully average except for the graphic and nice movements.

Also, and i can't put enough emphasys on this, i don't fucking care for the avatar brand in the slightest.

GermanZepp

It doesn't matter that Robocop is not on the same scale as it's underlying technology is far superior than anything Rockstar has cooked up in this trailer. Nanite allows for a greater scale at a higher fidelity. It's both superior in micro and macro detail. I'm not even a fan of UE5 but to deny that it produces superior results to what is seen in this trailer is something else.
JfrlRgr.jpg

I feel like Avatar would of been right up the alley of a developer like Crytek. Crysis 3 to me looks closer to the source material than the actual Avatar game, and this is a 10 year old game.

rGQzODv.jpg
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/175720d7-f6ff-486a-9679-9d6ec2e45432/d6vobb1-9704ff7c-7142-4170-8bf5-1abe73feccbe.gif?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzE3NTcyMGQ3LWY2ZmYtNDg2YS05Njc5LTlkNmVjMmU0NTQzMlwvZDZ2b2JiMS05NzA0ZmY3Yy03MTQyLTQxNzAtOGJmNS0xYWJlNzNmZWNjYmUuZ2lmIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.gQpTTGzagHjdgHcBErK-XjHyypgP4QprpPDh7XHp_-o

Youtube compression looks terrible, but my point is the materials, self shadowing and visual effects like motion blur ect. Not only that, but the Avatar game has that console game look to it; When you look at the game world from the weapon model pov it doesn't have that characteristic of attention to detail I grew up seeing in PC first person shooters.
Shots from the Avatar movie. The style of the art is not suppose to look like a cartoon.

I10LL5b.jpg
4nv6u7a.jpg
tMO7qrD.jpg
cZGmohp.jpg

hlm666

I don't really like to have anything open when i play to avoid possible problems.

(and believe i heard my fair share of stories about afterburner or riva tuner fucking with things, even if it is rare i like to cut the problem at the source)
Fair enough, I run afterburner/rivatuner nearly all the time because I run different power profiles depending on what I'm playing but only rarely turn the overlay on. I generally don't run into problems, even the last remnant 2 patch where people were saying it was crashing the game I didn't have any problems. I think most of the problems people have is stacking all these bloatware drivers for rgb mice/keyboards/fans/aio etc especially shit like icue hooking into games for rgb nonsense.

Character do reach horizon level tho, horizon goes for cartoon, avatar goes for reality, avatar looks close to real tho
I have to admit, avatar could be the game with the best graphic right now.

Water is mediocre and characters/enemies don't reach horizon level but the environment looks noticeably better most of the time.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Shots from the Avatar movie. The style of the art is not suppose to look like a cartoon.

I know what you're saying and its all in the robust soft shadows. That is why Final Fantasy XVI best moments look very good, the more realistic shadow rendering.

NvrrFNV.jpg
eM7uZ5S.jpg
jf6VIF7.jpg
K9Ku5BD.jpg

4lBCUBB.jpg

Ultimately for avatar I do believe it was an artistic choice to go with a more cartoonish art style as unfortunate as that is. I fear game studios think players prefer a colorful world that "pops" at all times. Still, the rtgi definitely does plenty to minimize that ultra cartoonish look. That much can't be said about Forbidden West.

rofif

Banned
I know what you're saying and its all in the robust soft shadows. That is why Final Fantasy XVI best moments look very good, the more realistic shadow rendering.

NvrrFNV.jpg
eM7uZ5S.jpg
jf6VIF7.jpg
K9Ku5BD.jpg

4lBCUBB.jpg

Ultimately for avatar I do believe it was an artistic choice to go with a more cartoonish art style as unfortunate as that is. I fear game studios think players prefer a colorful world that "pops" at all times. Still, the rtgi definitely does plenty to minimize that ultra cartoonish look. That much can't be said about Forbidden West.
Like, I have such a boner for ff16 soft shadowing in some scenes. Makes it look so fantastic.
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some of these scenes are pre rendered. We will know when this comes out on pc.
Gameplays looks just as good in some areas. Other are obviously ps3 mmo crap somehow. I don't know how they managed to have lows this low in game with highs this high.

Anyway, some shots that show soft shadows and soft dynamic lighting.
And these are FILTHY compressed hdr to sdr screenshots that are 300-400kb each. PS5 butchers them and the greyscale still looks good !
5WWz1Vp.jpg

NCd2USg.jpg

NNn52bb.jpg

EbpU99y.jpg

This last one is probably cgi let's be honest.

Last edited:

DanielG165

i'm re-installing rdr2 that i never played in the new pc so i expect no less than 4k120 ultra
You’ll be blown away by Red Dead on PC, especially once you get to the first non-frozen campsite/area. That’s why I have so much faith in Rockstar with GTA 6; they don’t do downgrades with their games.
Yep. It’s plug and play like a console game. No shader compilation. No stutter. No fucking around with settings for half an hour running benchmarks. Great CPU usage despite using RT everywhere. Forza, Callisto, Cyberpunk, and star wars have trash CPU usage as soon as you turn RT on. No vraam issues either. Not a single crash in 7 hours of play time. Game selects the best settings and has you to ready to go immediately. It's been a disastrous year for PC ports, and tbh, the last few years in general since cyberpunk came out, but this game is as close to perfect at launch as you are going to get on PC.
Indeed. It’s honestly one out of maybe 3 games this year that hasn’t had wonky performance on PC right out of the gate. Ubisoft is Ubisoft, but I’ve gotta give credit where it’s due; they made a game as good looking as this, and it runs… Normally. Incredible. It makes me confident in Star Wars Outlaws since such uses the same engine as Avatar.

Compression really wrecks this game (though it still looks good in videos), so seeing it natively is definitely a must for anyone interested. It makes me super interested to see how Forbidden West on PC will compare to Avatar.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Interesting!

So I've watched the entire thing and I'm actually impressed how close to the real thing it is. Obviously the scale is smaller which is understandable and even good for gameplay purposes but I think that they took more 'creative liberties' with their cities in the past compared to this.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I ended up installing rdr2 and fc primal.

I swear primal in 4k with hd texture pack looks incredible in the parts with a lot of vegetation.
Character do reach horizon level tho, horizon goes for cartoon, avatar goes for reality, avatar looks close to real tho
Nah, the humans looks noticeably worse, important characters like prya and alma human form looks worse than throw away side-characters with one line of dialogue in horizon.

The navi looks great but the details in the armour are slightly less refined, i don't know where you see the realistic style in what are basically blue aliens but ok.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Fair enough, I run afterburner/rivatuner nearly all the time because I run different power profiles depending on what I'm playing but only rarely turn the overlay on. I generally don't run into problems, even the last remnant 2 patch where people were saying it was crashing the game I didn't have any problems. I think most of the problems people have is stacking all these bloatware drivers for rgb mice/keyboards/fans/aio etc especially shit like icue hooking into games for rgb nonsense.
I also don't have any of that shit just to be sure:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Neilg

I think that they took more 'creative liberties' with their cities in the past compared to this.
Yeah I noticed this, after living in Miami for 10 years it's clearly the most grounded and accurate recreation of a city anyone's ever attempted in a game. I started putting together some screenshot and comparisons but it was too much work, that guy went the whole mile!

It's really hard to overstate just how much they nailed it from the shots in the trailer. Previous GTA cities are just a loose approximation of the key landmarks, but this is a real, detailed recreation. With some shrinking and slicing so it doesn't take 40 minutes to go from Brickell to the beach.

Last edited:
Interesting!

So I've watched the entire thing and I'm actually impressed how close to the real thing it is. Obviously the scale is smaller which is understandable and even good for gameplay purposes but I think that they took more 'creative liberties' with their cities in the past compared to this.

Try Division 2 looks great

GymWolf

FC primal has some great world simulation, allies hunters hunt herbivore animals, small predators hunt small animals, big predators hunt small predators, pack of small predators surround small animals, predators attack enemies, enemies try to hunt big animals etc. i even saw a giant eagle picking up a small deer and fly away with it.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Nah, RTGI just renders everything in realtime and accurately. The actual lighting model needs to be adjusted by devs and artists. Its why robocop and immortals look so different despite both using Lumen, and why nothing has come close to the Matrix despite several games using RTGI.

I remember Alex jizzing all over Metro getting RTGI then HFW came out and had better lighting despite using baked lighting. Both metro and avatar use RTGI but one clearly looks better.
The lighting model is the quality of the light propogating throughout the scene. Its a mixture of the direct light's implementarion and setttings quality like the qualtity of the light's attentuation over a distance mixed with the quality of the GI solution, how coarse it is and whether its dyamic or not.

METRO EE ligtings model is objectively superior to HFW. What you responding to and why it looks so much better (assets aside) is its shader quality which is seperate from the lighting model and is where material indication comes from. Its also where we have seen the largest improvements in realism over the last decade.

SlimySnake

The lighting model is the quality of the light propogating throughout the scene. Its a mixture of the direct light's implementarion and setttings quality like the qualtity of the light's attentuation over a distance mixed with the quality of the GI solution, how coarse it is and whether its dyamic or not.

METRO EE ligtings model is objectively superior to HFW. What you responding to and why it looks so much better (assets aside) is its shader quality which is seperate from the lighting model and is where material indication comes from. Its also where we have seen the largest improvements in realism over the last decade.
I think the lighting is comprised of two things, one is obviously the technical side about the accuracy of light bounce while the other is mostly reliant on artists deciding the color saturation and the different art styles (HFW's hyper realism vs Matrix's photorealism). You can put Matrix's assets and shaders in metro and it wont make it look photorealistic. the lighting needs to be tweaked by artists to have that look Polyphony Digital mastered decades ago while Forza struggles to capture it in 2023.

CGNoire

I think the lighting is comprised of two things, one is obviously the technical side about the accuracy of light bounce while the other is mostly reliant on artists deciding the color saturation and the different art styles (HFW's hyper realism vs Matrix's photorealism). You can put Matrix's assets and shaders in metro and it wont make it look photorealistic. the lighting needs to be tweaked by artists to have that look Polyphony Digital mastered decades ago while Forza struggles to capture it in 2023.
The color pallete will make or break realism and that definitely requires a certain skillset and will to go for that style from devs. I dont think Forza is aiming for photorealism and quite frankly Im not sure why not. It seems its alot more difficult to hit that realistic but still stylized look and keep the image aestheticly pleasing at the same time. For all the talk about getting dangerously close to the uncanny valley i cant help but think the easiest way to avoid it is to stop trying to side step it and just target photorealism directly or at least Filmic realism. (Like the Matrix)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Havent run the benchmark but during the game its around 45-50%. I am GPU bottlenecked in the game. RT isnt causing the CPU bottlenecks which means good optimization.

I had issues with launching AW2 for the first time with MSI afterburner but other than that, there are no issues. Everyone and their mothers run MSI afterburner. its not causing any crashes or it would be very widespread.

GymWolf

Havent run the benchmark but during the game its around 45-50%. I am GPU bottlenecked in the game. RT isnt causing the CPU bottlenecks which means good optimization.

I had issues with launching AW2 for the first time with MSI afterburner but other than that, there are no issues. Everyone and their mothers run MSI afterburner. its not causing any crashes or it would be very widespread.
Wait to reach the second, more open zone, the framerate tanks a little.

In general the framerate for me was extremely uneven, it would go from 120 to 40, thank god for gsync.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hellblade looks like a fantastic graphical contender for next year.

But that Avatar game is running 2 RT implementations even on console in its Performance mode. Should get nods for this year.

Top Bottom