• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

sendit

I mistaken being shiny with being overly reflective, do you think they look at least better than the cars in the gta6 trailer?

That thumbnail look like fucking real life pic to me.
GTA5 mod uses realistic textures, but they don't look better in terms of geometric detail. Additionally, in how light realistically bounces off the materials.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I mistaken being shiny with being overly reflective, do you think they look at least better than the cars in the gta6 trailer?

That thumbnail look like fucking real life pic to me.
What do you of these cars from forza? Click on the right to go through the rest of the gifs. not as reflective but car models are better overall.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Cars looks like 2 gen better than the cars in spidey 2, terrible, lmao.

They don't and you're making it difficult for me to keep my promise of moving on from SM2.

You can trick 99% of the non-gaming world population into thinking that thumbnail is a real live footage...

Ok I'll pretend to not see the PS3 textures on the street/sidewalk towards the left of the thumbnail.

That can be said with so many of the different games we talk about here. But when I play the youtube video I see how the lighting properties of the car completely break all the way down to being overly distractive.

SlimySnake

They don't and you're making it difficult for me to keep my promise of moving on from SM2.

Ok I'll pretend to not see the PS3 textures on the street/sidewalk towards the left of the thumbnail.

That can be said with so many of the different games we talk about here. But when I play the youtube video I see how the lighting properties of the car completely break all the way down to being overly distractive.
Spiderman 2 does do things next gen that no other sony studio has done. you dont need to completely drop it. just dont say it looks photorealistic lol

GymWolf

Well what other city based open world we had recently? the comparison with spidey comes natural.

I think they look outstanding for being just a mod.

GymWolf

What do you of these cars from forza? Click on the right to go through the rest of the gifs. not as reflective but car models are better overall.

They don't fool me like the cars in that mod, but i was fooled by some pics of forza or gt during the years, i swear driving games reached photorealism in still frame pics like 10 years ago already :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I showed the video to my cousin and my father and they both thought they looked incredible.

I feel like i'm living in bizzarro world with people not liking that mod...i would fucking pay for gta 6 cars to look like that, it looks photorealistic to me.

Is this type of shiny look called hyper-realism?

Last edited:

GymWolf

GTA5 mod uses realistic textures, but they don't look better in terms of geometric detail. Additionally, in how light realistically bounces off the materials.
Yeah maybe the geometry is much worse, but that shiny look distract me from the other details.

SlimySnake

Avatar might not look its best during flying, but it does have its moments.

avCPuMA.gif

Sadly, there is too much pop-in on medium LOD settings on PC. Cant push more because of 3080's 10gb limitation.

And when there isnt pop-in, the graphics just dont look as good from the sky like they do on the ground. Its almost like they added in flying at the end and didnt bother art-ing the vistas. It just looks ordinary way too often when you are in the sky despite the faster speeds and way higher draw distance compared to HFW.

Going to go back and do some more horizon flying comparisons because I was shocked at how dated and last gen it looked while flying, but I do remember it looking absolutely stunning even while flying in terms of cinematography and art design.

GymWolf

avCPuMA.gif

Sadly, there is too much pop-in on medium LOD settings on PC. Cant push more because of 3080's 10gb limitation.

And when there isnt pop-in, the graphics just dont look as good from the sky like they do on the ground. Its almost like they added in flying at the end and didnt bother art-ing the vistas. It just looks ordinary way too often when you are in the sky despite the faster speeds and way higher draw distance compared to HFW.

Going to go back and do some more horizon flying comparisons because I was shocked at how dated and last gen it looked while flying, but I do remember it looking absolutely stunning even while flying in terms of cinematography and art design.
Pop in is there even with the game on ultra on a 4080, maybe the unobtanium setting fix that.

SlimySnake

They don't fool me like the cars in that mod, but i was fooled by some pics of forza or gt during the years, i swear driving games reached photorealism in still frame pics like 10 years ago already :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I showed the video to my cousin and my father and they both thought they looked incredible.

I feel like i'm living in bizzarro world with people not liking that mod...i would fucking pay for gta 6 cars to look like that, it looks photorealistic to me.

nah, i like it. looks great.

Buggy Loop

do you think they look at least better than the cars in the gta6 trailer?

That 1-2 seconds shots in GTA 6 makes it a bit too hard to pass judgement but I would say that more than likely they will have proper PBR and thus look better. You'll have really shiny cars from like the chrome jobs, polished cars, etc, and the not so shiny one with the plebs cars or dirty ones. The plastic of light covers being a different material than the paint, etc.

I see why it can at a quick glimpse look good that thumbnail, and mods are cool, but its also very lacking, imho. Hard to explain but in motion, that's not "real life", not even close. Cars around in a city aren't that shiny. The effect of the sky on the paint is extending too far, must be an inherent constraints with the technology they have available of course.

PeteBull

Hellblade II is the most impressive graphics I've ever seen, nothing come close right now. Obviously I think a game like GTA VI overall will be more impressive because of physics, interaction, freedom and details, but if just talk about graphics it is basically a live action movie in some scenes, the model of the guy is even more impressive than her.

I just watched it on my phone by now tho.
Thats probably the reason u didnt see its very low IQ :p

Xtib81

avCPuMA.gif

The clouds in Avatar look mid, though. But yeah, Forbidden west is undeniably a PS4 game first and foremost.

SlimySnake

The clouds in Avatar look mid, though. But yeah, Forbidden west is undeniably a PS4 game first and foremost.
cloiuds in burning shores looked next gen as fuck but its crazy to me that they did nothing with them. just create some sky islands you dumb fucks. These studios have no imagination. I played zelda AFTER playing burning shores and I found their ps3 era skies and clouds much more impressive because i was actually up there doing missions most of the time. There is zero reason to go up in the clouds in Horizon Burning Whores.

Another thing that doesnt make sense is that they spent a year working on DLC that wasnt even as big as the first game's DLC which was out in around 6 months. But in that year the chose to waste their time on cloud tech instead of improving their streaming tech to reduce the pop-in or increase the flying speeds. Or both. They did neither. If 1 year is enough to create that insane next gen cloud tech, is it too much to expect them to reduce pop-in in a PS5 only game? Also, the PS3 has been out for 3 years now and they have had devkits since April 2019 according to cerny. So theyve had over 4 years to work on that tech. Just very odd from GG.

GymWolf

cloiuds in burning shores looked next gen as fuck but its crazy to me that they did nothing with them. just create some sky islands you dumb fucks. These studios have no imagination. I played zelda AFTER playing burning shores and I found their ps3 era skies and clouds much more impressive because i was actually up there doing missions most of the time. There is zero reason to go up in the clouds in Horizon Burning Whores.

Another thing that doesnt make sense is that they spent a year working on DLC that wasnt even as big as the first game's DLC which was out in around 6 months. But in that year the chose to waste their time on cloud tech instead of improving their streaming tech to reduce the pop-in or increase the flying speeds. Or both. They did neither. If 1 year is enough to create that insane next gen cloud tech, is it too much to expect them to reduce pop-in in a PS5 only game? Also, the PS3 has been out for 3 years now and they have had devkits since April 2019 according to cerny. So theyve had over 4 years to work on that tech. Just very odd from GG.
They are restricted by the lore, they can't go crazy like zelda.

They save the imagination for the dinobot design that is 500x times better than anything inside zelda enemy wise, don't even try to say the opposite or i'm gonna ask for divorce.

Last edited:

I'm sure they thought about it but how do you explain floating islands in Horizons universe? You can't unless you want to go into fantasy land. Nuclear superweapon broke off chunks of Earth which are now in orbit? I suppose but would be a stretch even for a game that has robot dinosaurs.

SlimySnake

I'm sure they thought about it but how do you explain floating islands in Horizons universe? You can't unless you want to go into fantasy land. Nuclear superweapon broke off chunks of Earth which are now in orbit? I suppose but would be a stretch even for a game that has robot dinosaurs.
We have aliens in horizon now. Anything is possible. Maybe some space ships up above the sky for you to explore or something. There is just nothing to do up there right now and it makes no sense to spend that much time on it when that time couldve been spent on getting the LOD streaming stuff done.

GymWolf

We have aliens in horizon now. Anything is possible. Maybe some space ships up above the sky for you to explore or something. There is just nothing to do up there right now and it makes no sense to spend that much time on it when that time couldve been spent on getting the LOD streaming stuff done.
Even if you have islands, what do you do with them? you land and then combat scenario or puzzle.

IF they really wanted to push the flying mechanics they should have include aerial combat like avatar, imagine fighing inside those clouds.

But the controls are just not there, guerrilla is not very good with mounts controls, i find them clunky, avatar is slightly better.

But i hate aerial stuff so maybe i'm biased.

Dude you have to play fc primal with the 4k texture pack, i could pass some phone pics for a modern game no problem.

Last edited:

Xtib81

Absolutely. I'm sure a lot of people even completed the dlc without even going up above the clouds once ^^ and the same goes for underwater exploration with the waterwing. I feel like they were testing some stuff. I'm convinced we'll be able to fly high and explore underwater from the get go in hz3 so they'll have to introduce gameplay mechanics and make it compelling.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

IF they really wanted to push the flying mechanics they should have include aerial combat like avatar, imagine fighing inside those clouds.
Yeah, I was expecting that. GG just handcuffed themselves with the PS4 base, and didnt bother fixing that with the DLC.

Say what you will about massive but they also started development on Avatar in 2017, shipped Division 2 in 2019 and four years later, shipped a full next gen game with flying combat, insane foliage, RTGI, RT reflections, and pretty decent draw distance. Meanwhile a first party studio is going to ship their first true next gen game probably in 2027 with these features, the last year of the gen. just shocking to even say it.

SlimySnake

But i hate aerial stuff so maybe i'm biased.

Dude you have to play fc primal with the 4k texture pack, i could pass some phone pics for a modern game no problem.
I tried Far Cry 6 a few months ago along with Division 2 and The Crew. It had that UE3 look that turned me off.

i havent liked a Far Cry game since Far Cry 3 which was my GOTY in 2012. FC4 was cross gen trash and everytihng since then has stunk. I hate the art style.

Some of the pathtraced cyberpunk videos I’ve seen have that level of reflection. It really makes a difference imo in videos. I don’t know if there is a racing game that’s full on pathtraced - they generally have looked kinda the same for years to me

Like the reflections on the car in this video I don’t see really in any racing game, if it was based off the real world it would look crazy:

Last edited:

GymWolf

I tried Far Cry 6 a few months ago along with Division 2 and The Crew. It had that UE3 look that turned me off.

i havent liked a Far Cry game since Far Cry 3 which was my GOTY in 2012. FC4 was cross gen trash and everytihng since then has stunk. I hate the art style.
FC6 is trash.

Primal is very unique between the fc games, great atmosphere and GREAT animal ecoystem that make the world feel alive.

If you have any interest for the time\location, give it a try, you did a month of uplay sub so it's free.

SlimySnake

FC6 is trash.

Primal is very unique between the fc games, great atmosphere and GREAT animal ecoystem that make the world feel alive.

If you have any interest for the time\location, give it a try, you did a month of uplay sub so it's free.
I used to watch clips of that far cry youtube clockner back in the day. he loved Far Cry 4 and Primal. Ive seen many many videos of Primal. the setting just didnt do it for me despite how good he made it look.

DanielG165

It’s crazy to me how Ubisoft are one of only a handful of studios to release a fully current gen game that’s packed with so much bleeding edge tech, yet doesn’t take up that much hard drive space… And runs incredibly well. I think regardless of how one feels about the game itself, it should absolutely be celebrated for what it has achieved. It’s a demanding game, yet isn’t unplayable without the top-of-the-line hardware; even the consoles are able to run Avatar just fine and still provide a wonderful presentation.

It’s crazy to me how Ubisoft are one of only a handful of studios to release a fully current gen game that’s packed with so much bleeding edge tech, yet doesn’t take up that much hard drive space… And runs incredibly well. I think regardless of how one feels about the game itself, it should absolutely be celebrated for what it has achieved. It’s a demanding game, yet isn’t unplayable without the top-of-the-line hardware; even the consoles are able to run Avatar just fine and still provide a wonderful presentation.
The game size surprised me most

P.S To that post above, not gonna lie, this year has been exhausting. Defending FF16 then Starfield then Forza and Spiderman 2 back to back was rough lmao. There were a couple of weeks where I even took shit for saying AW2 is set to become the next graphics benchmark but thankfully most people here were able to see that once the game came out, and now again with Avatar. The rest of the forum is still a fight and exhausting simply trying to prove Avatar has more foliage than HFW. I just dont get it. AW2 vs TLOU2. Forza vs GT. Starfield vs Cyberpunk. Why does everything turn into system wars. Why cant we just appreciate graphics advancements these games have made.

And I get it. graphics can be subjective and the gulf between PC and consoles is ever increasing, but there are things that are objectively better in these games like traffic density in spiderman, asset quality in starfield interiors, weather effects and trackside detail in Forza, foliage in Avatar but simply saying those things is considered trolling and it kills any potential discussion thats worth engaging.
Yes, this thread isn’t for system wars.

I loved FC4 back in 2014 on PS4. Looked great at the time on a 1080p TV. Doesn't translate to a 4k TV but I'd imagine on PC at 4k still holds up. Loved the Himalayan setting. Yes, it was corny and cheesy but a good FC game and one of the first graphically impressive open world games last gen.

Yeah, I was expecting that. GG just handcuffed themselves with the PS4 base, and didnt bother fixing that with the DLC.

Say what you will about massive but they also started development on Avatar in 2017, shipped Division 2 in 2019 and four years later, shipped a full next gen game with flying combat, insane foliage, RTGI, RT reflections, and pretty decent draw distance. Meanwhile a first party studio is going to ship their first true next gen game probably in 2027 with these features, the last year of the gen. just shocking to even say it.

Crazy. No backlash on Sony or MS for it. What's happened to gamers man to be so complacent ..

Ubisoft and Massive deserve so much credit for what they accomplished with Avatar as well as also having a very next gen looking SW Outlaws coming soon. I was worried about downgrades and image quality with Outlaws but it'd also Massive, right? That puts my mind at ease.

Last edited:
Crazy. No backlash on Sony or MS for it. What's happened to gamers man to be so complacent ..

Ubisoft and Massive deserve so much credit for what they accomplished with Avatar as well as also having a very next gen looking SW Outlaws coming soon. I was worried about downgrades and image quality with Outlaws but it'd also Massive, right? That puts my mind at ease.
Yes it was made by division 2 team

Lethal01

It’s crazy to me how Ubisoft are one of only a handful of studios to release a fully current gen game that’s packed with so much bleeding edge tech, yet doesn’t take up that much hard drive space… And runs incredibly well. I think regardless of how one feels about the game itself

Nah, Wont celebrate games that bore me, doesnt matter how they run

GymWolf

I wonder why you hate Spidey 2 so much.
The cars in Spidey2.
8VDK7yL.jpg
Rvwv700.jpg
They look good but the mods looks much better.

Maybe 2 gen was a bit exagerated, i give you that.

I just think it's crazy how a 2013 modded game can look like that.

Last edited:
koen-wijffelaars-thunderjaw.jpg

koen-wijffelaars-farzenith-satellite.jpg

koen-wijffelaars-farzenith-environment.jpg

Man, a Horizon 3 with a less cartoony art design, a slightly darker tone, would look fucking incredible. I wonder if GG has the balls to make it less cartoony
Seeing these images makes me think GG should make an open world Killzone game. Single player game but with areas and missions that can be played in co-op.

Top Bottom