• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

URLHpOK.jpeg

Once i was big sony fan currently me looking at sony this gen, i am really sad
Dude looks like discount robert pattinson.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Here is a really cool video of AC Shadow's open world. Lots of very pretty vista shots. Gotta say im impressed by this looks last gen compared to Avatar.

I think it's like a cross between RDR2 and Avatar. You almost have to be looking for next gen stuff to notice it.

I do like that a lot of the objects in the game can break during combat. The apple physics made me so happy lol.

Lethal01

A black Samurai?
Yeah, he is known for being favored by Nobunaga basically

Ok i rewatched ac shadows gameplay and i'm literally gonna side-eye whoever think this is passable at the end of 2024.

Even if i'm not super impressed by outlaws, that one at least looks competent...

I'll wait to see how dynamic things are in Asscreed vs starwars, as well as how big the battles are and such but I am not expecting much, it looks just okay considering all that.

Can't wait for the day we can do these graphics with crazy KH3/FF7 Rebirth Combat

Also, the Spiderverse animation style is god tier and we need 20x more games to start using it.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Here is Star wars outlow 30 min 4k 60 fps broll gameplay from previews looks amazing, maybe some small downgrades

This looks great. The desert area in the game looks really bad even by last gen standards, but other areas look excellent. The indoor areas are full of life and great lighting. The forest area looks gorgeous. The snow planet looks really good too, but obviously not as good as the glimpses we saw in the original trailer. Disappointing but the game still looks really good despite the downgrade. I think it will impress just like Avatar when people finally get to play it on their tvs.

SlimySnake

Fable looks “Next Gen” to me, like CGI ish…
Yeah, Fable and other MS games just overshadowed ubisoft's conference this year which was actually pretty cool with several large gameplay demos i love. But AC shadows and to a lesser extent star wars just cant match that cg look of fable, south of midnight and gears.

I dont know. Maybe Anvil and Snowdrop cant keep up with UE5, or maybe its the sheer level of talent over at Xbox game studios and ubisoft simply cant keep up with the artistry on display in virtually every single xbox studios game. Hellblade 2 is no accident. these studios are doing what Sony studios have done since around 2007, just beat everyone with pure talent and art direction.

Maybe ubisoft should aim for lower resolutions like 1080p on base consoles and push the visuals to match the reveal trailers for both avatar and star wars. there is no reason to downgrade the pc versions.

CGNoire

Looks like a mixed bag with some parts looking impressive while others look cross geny. Ubusoft games in general this gen just look very visually inconsistent and definitely less impressive than what they were last gen. I can name at least 4-5 games from Microsoft showcase that blow away anything Ubisoft showed. I guess Microsoft showcase being dominated by UE5 is probably the reason why.
Ubisoft has been phoneing in visually on most titles since 2014.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I’ve watched the south of midnight demo 3 times now… I’m just not seeing it. It looks like a last gen game through and through, minus the super impressive wood when she’s climbing the planks.

I think Hellblade 2, gears 6, GTA6, ND new game, Guerilla new game will be the top looking games of the gen when all said and done. Add in crysis 4

Looks like a mixed bag with some parts looking impressive while others look cross geny. Ubusoft games in general this gen just look very visually inconsistent and definitely less impressive than what they were last gen. I can name at least 4-5 games from Microsoft showcase that blow away anything Ubisoft showed. I guess Microsoft showcase being dominated by UE5 is probably the reason why.
Lol this looks way better than avoved, and fable has CGI art style other games are linear games saying linear games looks better than open world is pathetic

Edder1

Outlaws is open world way bigger world than ghost of tsuima
You must have missed all the gameplay trailers where they actually travel from one huh to another. It's no more open world than Metro Exodus. Also all the action seems to be taking place indoors because outdoor areas are full of barren land with not much going on.

GymWolf

Yeah, he is known for being favored by Nobunaga basically

I'll wait to see how dynamic things are in Asscreed vs starwars, as well as how big the battles are and such but I am not expecting much, it looks just okay considering all that.

Can't wait for the day we can do these graphics with crazy KH3/FF7 Rebirth Combat

Also, the Spiderverse animation style is god tier and we need 20x more games to start using it.
That final part just gave me pubic lices :messenger_pensive:

Last edited:

GymWolf

I’ve watched the south of midnight demo 3 times now… I’m just not seeing it. It looks like a last gen game through and through, minus the super impressive wood when she’s climbing the planks.

I think Hellblade 2, gears 6, GTA6, ND new game, Guerilla new game will be the top looking games of the gen when all said and done. Add in crysis 4
Midnight is nothing impressive, not sure what people are seeing in it.

People must be overly excited to finally have a black female lead in a modern game. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Not sure what you saw in Expedition 33 (maybe the turn based combat?), it was average looking during the gameplay cuts. Turn based also doesn't scream exciting in comparison to what Rebirth brought.
It definitely looked above average in those turn based sections - better than the new AC by quite a margin - I thought kh3/ff rebirth were turn based? I personally hate turn based combat so I won’t be getting it but if that’s your thing…

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not sure what you saw in Expedition 33 (maybe the turn based combat?), it was average looking during the gameplay cuts. Turn based also doesn't scream exciting in comparison to what Rebirth brought.

To be fair, the general graphical fidelity and environments looked much higher quality in Expedition than Rebirth. Different scopes.

SlimySnake

It definitely looked above average in those turn based sections - better than the new AC by quite a margin - I thought kh3/ff rebirth were turn based? I personally hate turn based combat so I won’t be getting it but if that’s your thing…
KH3 and FF rebirth are not turn based.

adamsapple

We don't know what the scope is for Expedition 33. What we do know is that Rebirth has a massive open world.

Yes, I mentioned scope in the same post. But, again, to be fair we've seen open world games with much higher visual fidelity on the same console.

Rebrith's last-gen looking visuals are strictly because the developer chose to stick to an older engine to make the game faster, it's not just because they shifted from a linear to a zone-based open world.

sendit

Yes, I mentioned scope in the same post. But, again, to be fair we've seen open world games with much higher visual fidelity on the same console.

Rebrith's last-gen looking visuals are strictly because the developer chose to stick to an older engine to make the game faster, it's not just because they shifted from a linear to a zone-based open world.
Engine aside. An open world game will naturally look worse if you're comparing things like texture to texture, or environment density. The overall complexity of a open world game is much more taxing versus linear path ways. Again, we don't have too many details on what Expedition 33's world will be like.

Going off the quick cuts from E33's trailer, the boss battles/details do not even compare to what Rebirth has. Have you beat or played Rebirth?

Last edited:
What I meant was single area will be way bigger than ghost of tsushima metro exodus is small like God of war
You must have missed all the gameplay trailers where they actually travel from one huh to another. It's no more open world than Metro Exodus. Also all the action seems to be taking place indoors because outdoor areas are full of barren land with not much going on.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Jesus Christ, what the hell is this in 2024? It's like I've gone back in time to 2007-2008.

Vs5sBLY.jpeg

CaNbUq7.jpeg

p1sygd3.jpeg

And as if that's not bad enough, animations and movement are junky as hell along with facial animations. But worst part about it is that performance is shit on a 3080Ti with constant stutters and it should be with this level of visuals. I mean, not everyone can make Hellblade and Horizon, but damn, it's not 2007-2008 anymore.

Last edited:

Edder1

What I meant was single area will be way bigger than ghost of tsushima
Where did you get that?

Even if that was the case it don't mean anything as the outside areas are mainly filled with barren land and rocks. You gotta be out your mind to think they gonna build multiple massive levels with size and depth of Ghost of Tsushima, such a thing isn't feasible time wise and would not make any financial sense.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Jesus Christ, what the hell is this in 2024? It's like I've gone back in time to 2007-2008.

Vs5sBLY.jpeg

CaNbUq7.jpeg

p1sygd3.jpeg

And as if that's not bad enough, animations and movement are junky as hell along with facial animations. But worst part about it is that performance is shit on a 3080Ti with constant stutters and it should be with this level of visuals. I mean, not everyone can make Hellblade and Horizon, but damn, it's not 2007-2008 anymore.
Looks like movie assets quality to me.

(Sify channel movies tho)

Last edited:

adamsapple

Vs5sBLY.jpeg

CaNbUq7.jpeg

p1sygd3.jpeg

Is this Flintlock?

That's a not-full-priced game from a small dev anyway, so I wouldn't be that harsh on it personally.

Lethal01

Did you not see that expedition 33 game?

No, Kh3 is like DMC combat but even more hectic, and FF7R combat is like Kingdomheart/DMC combat with you controlling 3 people at the same time with 5 allies fighting in the background all with complex movesets, screen filled with particles and whatnot. On top of that both are set in open worlds.

So again it will be cool to see combat that deep and hectic with this level of graphics.
FF7 could have been way better graphically, but people forget a lot about what it had to go when they try to compare it other games with much less to deal with.

Its like, OMG look how much better HellBlade 2 or this basic shooter looks, the comparisons just don't make sense.

That final part just gave me pubic lices :messenger_pensive:

Good, savor the pian and repent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom