• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Hunnybun

So now the dust has settled a bit, what do we think were the best next gen graphics shown across the various events? Lots to go at, but my top 5 would be something like

Lego Horizon Adventures
Doom
Dragon Age
Assassin's Creed
South of Midnight

I'd probably have had Phantom Blade 0 in there but the footage is such bad quality it's hard to tell how good the visuals really are.

H . R . 2

Unity don't have rtgi this alone is a big step for shadows above it
yet it looks miles better
the fact that a last-gen title is even comparable to a current-gen one goes to show how little the series has improved in terms of visuals

Last edited:

mansoor1980

jawline fidelity ,
zSYbPSHQzoGgRF5jg7byhD-1200-80.jpg

e0b6c7d0-40a5-11ed-88f2-ed58007972fa_1200_630.png

GymWolf

I hope so - my worry is that GTA has much more stuff going on than Red Dead so you don’t get as many of those little flourishes
Fair point, gta6 could have less intimate moments, but i can really see them strategically placing bands of like 4-5 men just for these moments, their npcs placing is all but random.

Maybe when you are at night in a dark alley, i'm sure as hell that they are gonna be a lot of creepy locations with very few npcs.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Metroid Prime looks like dog shit. Looks worse than KZ2 and other PS3 era shooters. Any hope that Nintendo devs would take full advantage of the switch 2 is now gone. Nintendo devs are just as lazy as Sony and MS first party devs were at the start of the gen with all the cross gen and remake trash thrown our way from 2020-2022.

Just awful stuff. Game started dev in 2020. When next gen consoles were out. Shouldve never targeted base switch specs. If these devs had any shame we would be getting a game that looks at least as good as Killzone shadowfall based on the leaked specs for switch 2. Shameful stuff.

Metroid Prime looks like dog shit. Looks worse than KZ2 and other PS3 era shooters. Any hope that Nintendo devs would take full advantage of the switch 2 is now gone. Nintendo devs are just as lazy as Sony and MS first party devs were at the start of the gen with all the cross gen and remake trash thrown our way from 2020-2022.

Just awful stuff. Game started dev in 2020. When next gen consoles were out. Shouldve never targeted base switch specs. If these devs had any shame we would be getting a game that looks at least as good as Killzone shadowfall based on the leaked specs for switch 2. Shameful stuff.

Exactly my feeling. Utter disappointment. it looks exactly like the remake. Why did they supposedly restart development and not update the graphics. Nintendo just don’t care - I remember when they used to have some of the most graphically impressive games out there.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Exactly my feeling. Utter disappointment. it looks exactly like the remake. Why did they supposedly restart development and not update the graphics. Nintendo just don’t care - I remember when they used to have some of the most graphically impressive games out there.
This goes back to the conversations we were having around 2022 when it was obvious that UE5 was amazing and current gen consoles were capable of much more but sony and ms first party studios refused to adopt it. We are seeing the same thing here. Switch 2 is due next year and its specs were likely finalized years ago but devs have chosen to limit themselves to last gen hardware. In Nintendo's case, we are 3 gens behind. Like I said, it looks worse than KZ2. It looks worse than uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3. Looks worse than Halo 3. Looks a gen behind Crysis.

Nintendo makes like 3 AAA games as it is. Zelda, Metroid and mainline Mario. they already released their 1 zelda game for the generation and this is their only metroid game for the decade. That leaves Mario for switch 2 which i bet will look worse than ratchet on ps4.

SlimySnake

More and more i am impressed by what Ubisoft studios are doing. In other threads, RTGI was being blamed for a lack of a substantial graphics upgrade in Star Wars Outlaws and AC Shadows, but I think thats a very forward thinking upgrade that you will mostly only notice when you are playing the game, and the game's visuals remain consistent through out. Especially considering AC shadows has a full year long season cycle along with a day night cycle and i have no doubt that RTGI would help clean up the bounce lighting and AO issues we saw present in so many games last gen leading to a very flat look in a lot of lighting conditions.

the destruction in AC shadows also pretty much requires a realtime lighting solution. Games like starfield, callisto and star wars jedi survivor are packed with detail but dont have that destruction we see here, and I really believe it will add a lot to the combat as well as the presentation. I wish star wars outlaws had some of this destructibility. yes, the bamboo trees disappear after being cut down but at least they are cut down.

The nintendo conference really made me appreciate what Ubisoft studios are doing. They are going with dynamic elements like weather and destruction. Packing their games with an insane amount of detail we simply cant see on youtube due to poor uploads and compression. I really hope they ship a solid 30 fps version with no 60 fps option on consoles so people can truly appreciate the visuals instead of complaining about how the gen looks the same as last gen as they play scaled back 60 fps modes running at sub 720p.

Last edited:

Jesb

I was disappointingly surprised at that Metroid reveal. I was expecting this series to be a rebirth type of reveal that would breathe brand new life in the series. I wasn’t expecting to see something that looks exactly the same both artistically and technically. I don’t get why it took this long to show virtually the same looking game.

Msamy

I have many games in my Phone that looks better than this shit

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Nintendo is fucking horrible. They are the number 1 ambassadors of crap graphics. they simply dont care about visuals. abysmal hardware. and they sell bucketloads of shit for kids. yes, they make games for fucking kids. im tired of people acting like they dont. rest of the industry sees that and follows suit. lets all make games for kids with shitty graphics.

kids are ruining gaming

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Nintendo is fucking horrible. They are the number 1 ambassadors of crap graphics. they simply dont care about visuals. abysmal hardware. and they sell bucketloads of shit for kids. yes, they make games for fucking kids. im tired of people acting like they dont. rest of the industry sees that and follows suit. lets all make games for kids with shitty graphics.

kids are ruining gaming
My son took one look at that trailer and immediately said it looked like shit. He then literally laughed at how bad it looked. He's 9.

I think kids do care. Just like we did back in the day as we waited for console games to look as good as they did in the arcades. my nephew is 10 and saved up for 2 years to buy a PC with a 4070. He mostly only plays minecraft, but wanted to play it with ray tracing.

Nintendo just uses kids as an excuse to phone in the graphics. we were kids once and we bugged our parents for the latest consoles mostly to play the latest and greatest. i highly doubt kids have changed to the point where they are ok with ps2 quality graphics. especially since metroid and zelda arent even made for 6-10 year olds. they are basically for gen x or millenials who grew up playing ocraina of time and the metroid prime series no 10 year old has even heard of.

if you want to blame someone, blame the millennial nintendo fan who lets nintendo create one shitty looking game after another. 12 years after they showed this off no less.

b9vkki.gif

ZeldaWiiU.gif

there are plenty of those people on gaf. lapping this fugly game up while they criticize ubisoft for downgrades to games that literally look 100x better, and bemoan RTGI compromising 60 fps modes.

My son took one look at that trailer and immediately said it looked like shit. He then literally laughed at how bad it looked. He's 9.

I think kids do care. Just like we did back in the day as we waited for console games to look as good as they did in the arcades. my nephew is 10 and saved up for 2 years to buy a PC with a 4070. He mostly only plays minecraft, but wanted to play it with ray tracing.

Nintendo just uses kids as an excuse to phone in the graphics. we were kids once and we bugged our parents for the latest consoles mostly to play the latest and greatest. i highly doubt kids have changed to the point where they are ok with ps2 quality graphics. especially since metroid and zelda arent even made for 6-10 year olds. they are basically for gen x or millenials who grew up playing ocraina of time and the metroid prime series no 10 year old has even heard of.

if you want to blame someone, blame the millennial nintendo fan who lets nintendo create one shitty looking game after another. 12 years after they showed this off no less.

b9vkki.gif

ZeldaWiiU.gif

there are plenty of those people on gaf. lapping this fugly game up while they criticize ubisoft for downgrades to games that literally look 100x better, and bemoan RTGI compromising 60 fps modes.
Yeah we’ll get a Zelda game that looks like that in 15 more years lol. I remember how impressive ocarina was when I was a kid, it blew me away all my friends were stoked on how incredible it looked. It crazy to me people give Nintendo a pass and lap it up like they’re doing everybody a favor - speaking of fps, TOTK dropped to like 15-20 FPS at points and no one cared. The switch 2 can do the matrix demo apparently so they better have something that looks good on it when it comes out.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yeah we’ll get a Zelda game that looks like that in 15 more years lol. I remember how impressive ocarina was when I was a kid, it blew me away all my friends were stoked on how incredible it looked. It crazy to me people give Nintendo a pass and lap it up like they’re doing everybody a favor - speaking of fps, TOTK dropped to like 15-20 FPS at points and no one cared. The switch 2 can do the matrix demo apparently so they better have something that looks good on it when it comes out.
Series s is 4 tflops and drops significantly below 533p in the matrix awakens demo. DF likened it to VCDs from the 90s because of the pixel artifacts being so huge.

Switch 2 is even weaker and while it might have better rt than the series s, lumen doesn’t really favor nvidia chips. I think you will see most games skip rt on it like they do on series s. Even in docked mode.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

kids are ruining gaming

Nintendo fanboys are the most fervent and loyal of them all. They’re perfectly fine playing the same 4 IPs on shitty hardware that’s 15 years behind. Which is fine. Just don’t tell me their shit don’t stink. The last two Zeldas would have been great for me if they had a higher resolution than a 2006 YouTube video.

Last edited:
Series s is 4 tflops and drops significantly below 533p in the matrix awakens demo. DF likened it to VCDs from the 90s because of the pixel artifacts being so huge.

Switch 2 is even weaker and while it might have better rt than the series s, lumen doesn’t really favor nvidia chips. I think you will see most games skip rt on it like they do on series s. Even in docked mode.
Isn’t the whole thing with switch 2 that because it uses Nvidia it has way better upscaling with dlss? And since Nintendo don’t seem to really care about fps and resolution I feel like there is potential to squeeze quite a bit out of it if someone was so inclined - maybe not with UE5 but they could feasibly get someone to make a really great looking game if they tried.

Bojji

Gold Member
Isn’t the whole thing with switch 2 that because it uses Nvidia it has way better upscaling with dlss? And since Nintendo don’t seem to really care about fps and resolution I feel like there is potential to squeeze quite a bit out of it if someone was so inclined - maybe not with UE5 but they could feasibly get someone to make a really great looking game if they tried.

It can potentially have better image quality than series s thanks to dlss but it will be worse machine overall and not as capable. Of course Nintendo have potential to make great looking games on it.

Hunnybun

It's a Switch game isn't it? Running at 60fps? Why would you expect a graphical showcase?

It's a Switch game isn't it? Running at 60fps? Why would you expect a graphical showcase?
It’s coming out 2025, when the switch 2 comes out. It’s the first Metroid prime in almost 20 years. It’s a tentpole sequel to one of their most important franchises. It started development in 2020, when they knew switch 2 hardware. It did not have to be a crossgen 60fps game, it could’ve been a switch 2 showcase. Which is what I think we’ve all been let down by. Even if it is switch 1 it’s still not as good looking as the best games on comparable hardware from years ago.

Radical_3d

Metroid 4 runs at 60, so it’d be better to compare it with something at 60 of the 360 era hardware.

Yup. MP4 looks worse.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Gold Member

b9vkki.gif

ZeldaWiiU.gif

People wont want to hear it but your 100% right, replies will foam at the mouth "gameplay over graphics". You can have both.

GymWolf

People wont want to hear it but your 100% right, replies will foam at the mouth "gameplay over graphics". You can have both.
The fact that combat\puzzles in most of their games are super basic and tailored for 5 years old childs in terms of challenge also make me laugh when people think nintendo has the best gameplay around, absolutely laughable, but here we are.

They fucking need to moneyhat platinum games to have games with good combat on their console except for smash bros.

Last edited:

Lethal01

b9vkki.gif

ZeldaWiiU.gif

I vastly prefer the visuals of Tears of the Kingdom to this. Really just want it at a higher resolution and framerate via a switch 2.
I'll also take that Metroid over the new doom anyday.

Lethal01

What a surprise from you :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I love being predictable, Means my beliefs are consistent and logically sound.

Also I gotta say when it comes to puzzles I wont act like Nintendo's take a genius to solve, but they are atleast better than sony and actually let you solve em without a teen nagging you.

The best looking game in the micosoft showcase to me was Metaphor:Refantazio,
South of Midnight was also nice.

Nintendo simply attracts the games with aesthetics that are up my ally, would be nice if they got them at higher resoultion, but I take a 480p game with a style I like over Gears every time.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I love being predictable, Means my beliefs are consistent and logically sound.

Also I gotta say when it comes to puzzles I wont act like Nintendo's take a genius to solve, but they are atleast better than sony and actually let you solve em without a teen nagging you.

The best looking game in the micosoft showcase to me was Metaphor:Refantazio,
South of Midnight was also nice.

Nintendo simply attracts the games with aesthetics that are up my ally
If you actually played ragnarock, you should know that they don't give you any solution right away, they just give you a basic hint or tell you how you can interact, far from ideal but the level of challenge of actually solving the puzzle is basically the same as nintendo puzzles.

They are both puzzles tailored for childs.

I know you like nintendo aesthetics, but we had this doscussion in the past, you can maintain a similar artstyle and have much better graphic like the already discussed botw vs biomutant.

Like, can you tell what is incredible art design wise in any of these pics??
078b54757e9a175399a062dea2d22770.jpg

3d432d07b36e91958fd0fb281a2f6dee.jpg

bb8a831eac828d8124936a10ba3eecff.jpg

A basic rock formation, a middling enemy model, a purple ray from the sky? A genric space station in the background? A generic lab?

I can pick random screen of fucking starfield that run laps around this stuff.

And it's honestly the same with the zeldas, the textures are so undetailed that everything look like the most generic slop.

What the fuck is impressive in this screen other than low res texture galore?

the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-image.jpg

I just don't get it, it feels like nintendo fans fill the detail void with their imagination or some shit.

This pic of biomutant looks better than anything you can post of of the 2 zeldas while still being cartoony and far from realistic

txhM3jgPEDhhUKf85Ha2XA.jpg

biomutant-for-pc_9dyq.jpg

I guess it's ok to like lop poly\low res texture graphic, but i can't see the art design prowess neither tbh.

The good looking grass is the saving grace of almost any decent zelda pic.

Last edited:

Lethal01

If you actually played ragnarock, you should know that they don't give you any solution right away, they just give you a basic hint or tell you how you can interact, far from ideal but the level of challenge of actually solving the puzzle is basically the same as nintendo puzzles.

I played it, its just way more annoying how they do it, even worse than Fi in Skyward Sword. Either way, they both lose to indie games when it comes to great puzzles. Point was mostly all these AAA games are packed with challenges for 5 year olds. Often I find that executing the solution is more fun in Nintendo though

Like people get my hopes up with the "Nintendo games are for kids" stuff and then all the big "mature" games are even simpler when it comes to complexity and then they pack some shitty story and slow walking ontop of it.

And it's honestly the same with the zeldas, the textures are so undetailed that everything look like the most generic slop.

the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-image.jpg

I just don't get it, it feels like nintendo fans fill the detail void with their imagination or some shit.

No point in getting into it that deep really, comes down to color choices, shape language and lighting style. You mentioned biomutant before but I really don't think those games look similar,.

If you want an example of BoTW style but with higher fidelity you should mention Genshin impact. But even when it comes to that I vastly prefer Zelda's character design.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Don't you think that if switch was a home console the game would look much more like biomutant with the added details?

You think the game would be so low res looking on a proper console?

I think half of zelda art design is kinda forced by the shitty hardware.

I mean, even the fake reveal show an higher level of details(while still being a clear switch game), so they were clearly ok with bigger fidelity, you think the final game looks better than the reveal?

Last edited:

Lethal01

Don't you think that if switch was a home console the game would look much more like biomutant with the added details?

Not at all, they would be closer in the fact that the gmae would be higher resoultion but the stylistic choices would stay the same, we see what kind of style they would aim for in a world they weren't restricted by hardware via the CGI ToTK reveal.

I think Nintendo would obviously boost their texture resolution and geometric density, LoD. But that just is not what I am talking about when it comes to looking "like bio mutant"

I mean, even the fake reveal show an higher level of details(while still being a clear switch game), so they were clearly ok with bigger fidelity, you think the final game looks better than the reveal?

Using the grass as an example, The lighting model and style in Zelda is totally different and I would expect better hardware to make them go with something more like what you posted from the initial reveal than a totally different art style like biomutant.

Again I love more fidelity, I just care way more about art design and feels like you are mixing up the two.

Again, if you want something that looks like BoTW at higher res then you would point to Genshin or maybe even south of midnight and I would go yeah. Pointing to Biomutant just tells me we are talking about totally different things.

2020092417575221063.jpg

Even then, I prefer Zelda's style, for the colors, shape language and lighting, fog, etc etc

zelda-breath-of-the-wild2.gif

Breath-of-the-Wild-2s-Positive-Reception-Lies-in-an-Engaging-Story.jpg
botw-link-to-a-gallery-of-300-high-quality-screenshots-v0-exo6tmc6a1za1.jpg

digital-frontiers-27.jpg
digital-frontiers-45-1.jpg

digital-frontiers-53-1.jpg

Nintendo simply attracts the games with aesthetics that are up my ally, Seeing them at higher res would be nice but I'd rather see them at 480p than what we get from the other guys usually.

So yeah that "realistic" Zelda Demo was good for tirring up hype but what we got in BoTW was far better lobking.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Metroid 4 runs at 60, so it’d be better to compare it with something at 60 of the 360 era hardware.

Yup. MP4 looks worse.

Yep. No one asked them to make this a 60 fps game either. especially with switch 2 literally months away. Make it 60 fps on switch 2, 30 on switch 1 and dial up the graphics fidelity on both. absolutely retarded to target 60 fps on that ageing 15 watt hardware.

I mean look at this forest area footage they are showing off as if its some legendary achievement in visual fidelity. dude, it is devoid of all levels of detail. It's lacking colors, textures, foliage. uncharted 1 and uncharted 2 had better foliage than this.

The moment the art designer came up with this level, a nintendo exec or someone at retro shouldve been like, 'yeah this sucks ass. lets make our game switch 2 only.' the fact that nintendo allowed this to be made at this horrendous level of fidelity is just proof that nintendo devs has no standards.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Yep. No one asked them to make this a 60 fps game either. especially with switch 2 literally months away. Make it 60 fps on switch 2, 30 on switch 1 and dial up the graphics fidelity on both. absolutely retarded to target 60 fps on that ageing 15 watt hardware.

I mean look at this forest area footage they are showing off as if its some legendary achievement in visual fidelity. dude, it is devoid of all levels of detail. It's lacking colors, textures, foliage. uncharted 1 and uncharted 2 had better foliage than this.

The moment the art designer came up with this level, a nintendo exec or someone at retro shouldve been like, 'yeah this sucks ass. lets make our game switch 2 only.' the fact that nintendo allowed this to be made at this horrendous level of fidelity is just proof that nintendo devs has no standards.

That forest has serious Original Xbox Morrowind vibes. I don’t think it’s a problem of power. Switch is more capable than the Wii U that was somewhat like a 360. And has a more modern architecture. So it could mop the floor with what the PS360 could do, including KZ2, Uncharted 3, Advance Warfare, etc… it’s a matter of talent, budget and for what we’ve heard a little of development hell. And if you’ve announced the game 7 years ago for Switch it’d be outrageous not to release it on said system, but clearly the development time hasn’t been reflected on the technical side.

SlimySnake

That forest has serious Original Xbox Morrowind vibes. I don’t think it’s a problem of power. Switch is more capable than the Wii U that was somewhat like a 360. And has a more modern architecture. So it could mop the floor with what the PS360 could do, including KZ2, Uncharted 3, Advance Warfare, etc… it’s a matter of talent, budget and for what we’ve heard a little of development hell. And if you’ve announced the game 7 years ago for Switch it’d be outrageous not to release it on said system, but clearly the development time hasn’t been reflected on the technical side.
yeah, that zelda demo i posted was running realtime on a wii u. people at the show were able to pause and zoom around the level.

switch is roughly just as powerful in docked mode with more advanced architecture. nintendo devs just dont give a shit.

GymWolf

yeah, that zelda demo i posted was running realtime on a wii u. people at the show were able to pause and zoom around the level.

switch is roughly just as powerful in docked mode with more advanced architecture. nintendo devs just dont give a shit.
Maybe the physics was harder to include with a more realistic style.

Also, open world game vs what is basically a room with 2 characters.

I'm not sure if switch has the horsepower for that type of graphic for a huge game, the open world is already fucking barren as it is, imagine if they had to save even more rendering budget...

Radical_3d

Maybe the physics was harder to include with a more realistic style.

Also, open world game vs what is basically a room with 2 characters.

I'm not sure if switch has the horsepower for that type of graphic for a huge game, the open world is already fucking barren as it is, imagine if they had to save even more rendering budget...
I’ve spend years playing the Wii U version of BotW (I’ve finished recently) and I can assure you that the system just can’t cope with that game XD it runs way better on Switch.

GymWolf

I’ve spend years playing the Wii U version of BotW (I’ve finished recently) and I can assure you that the system just can’t cope with that game XD it runs way better on Switch.
Sure but botw also look way worse than the video that slimy posted, we were discussing if that type of graphic for a game like botw was possible or not.

Lokaum D+

i think what killz Nintendo games are their low res and shit hardware, playing Zelda or other Nintendo games on Yuzu at 4k is a incredible experience that should be the standard nowadays, of course that is not even close to that bs announcement, but the higher res alone makes o huge difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom